PDA

View Full Version : Worst Parent of the Year Award

meldan98
06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm sure my dh and I are going to be nomintated for the worst parent of the year award.

My parents are taking my kids on vacation this year. My dad is having a number of health problems and we aren't sure how many summers we have left with him, so it was really important to me that they go on vacation this summer. They are going away for 10 days to the Oregon coast.

While they are away...I'm going to DL with my DH....just to go to Cars Land. Yep, I said it...we are going without the kids. This is a top secret trip and we are also making a stop in Las Vegas and possibly the Grand Canyon. It is so top secret, that we won't take any photos, we won't share anything on Facebook, we won't record any moment we have there.

We thought about going with my parents, but we really want the girls to have some memories of a trip with my parents without us around. Some of my fondest memories with my grandparents were trips our outings without my parents and I thought that since they are really the only active grandparents in their lives, that this was realy important.

Instead of sitting at home waiting for their return and working a ton, we wanted to take a break and go on our own little adventure. We were just planning on going to Vegas, but the more we got to talking about it, we just couldn't resist. We plan to take the kids later in the year, during the slow season, when the lines won't be super long, like they are now, so they will go soon.

Ok, confession over...

joonyer
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Good for you. Time together away from the kids is good for a marriage. And what's good for your marriage is good for your family. One day your kids will be grown and gone. Hopefully, you'll still have each other. So don't feel guilty. Take all the pictures you want. Make some great memories.

cer
06-25-2012, 02:50 PM
This is a top secret trip and we are also making a stop in Las Vegas and possibly the Grand Canyon. It is so top secret, that we won't take any photos, we won't share anything on Facebook, we won't record any moment we have there.

I agree with joonyer.

I would not make it a top secret trip. You deserve to have a trip and you deserve to have record of it.

We went to WDW as a couple and left our children at home so they could go to school. I would not rub it in or anything, but I would definitely take pictures, etc. Those are some of my favorite treasured pictures. It is a good thing!

They may be more understanding than you think. How often do you get to celebrate your time together? They need to know that when they grow up and have families, they can have couple time. Besides, they will be going soon, too!

I say, no regrets, you are the parents, you don't need to sneak off!

Wolf
06-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I love everything about this post!!! I hope everyone on either trip has an amazing time and don't feel bad, they will never know and maybe just bring them back one thing from yalls trip and tell them "Mickeys sent this in the mail cause he misses yall" or something cutsey for the little ones.

DVC2004
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Oh it's fine. I think it's a great plan. Personally, I would do the same if the situation came up.

DH and I have taken a few trips to Disney and such without the kids over the years. We took a 3 night cruise on the Dream last Feb. We didn't tell them that was what we were doing...and we were gone like 4 days...no big deal. They had school and they really couldn't miss. It was nice to have the adult time. We had fun. When we got home, we did tell them and they were a little ticked (they're teens) but they got over it. Also: we had a family trip to Hawaii already planned with them which we just returned from earlier this month. So, it's not like they were without a vacation.

Anyway, go, have fun, don't feel guilty. I also think it is important for the kids to take the grandparents vacation. My father in law passed away unexpectedly this year at a young age, and we had always wanted them to come with us on vacation. One year, we did visit Yellowstone with them. I am glad the kids have the nice memoery of the time they spent together.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Have a fabulous time! And I agree about it not being top secret.

Last trip to WDW, we met a couple who were saying it was their first trip without their kids(6&8). They said they initially felt guilty, but they were having one of the best, most relaxing trips they had ever had! They said, laughing, that the kids weren't overly impressed with them but would get over it.

Children need to know that Mom & Dad need some fun times to themselves too.

azcavalier
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Don't hide it. We've been twice without our three kids, and will be going back in April without them. The first time, we were worried how they would take it, and when we told them our plans, they surprised us. They weren't upset at all. They told us to have a great time, and that they expected gifts upon our return. Just tell them....honesty is always the best policy!

MissMaryPoppins
06-25-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't think that makes you and your husband bad parents. Everyone deserves to have some fun and your kids will be with their grandparents having fun, you deserve some fun too. Plus, I think waiting to take your kids during a slower time is a great idea and they're have more fun if it's less crowded.

MNNHFLTX
06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I think it's great that you're going on your own trip! And personally, I'm not so sure that you need to make it "top secret" --you might let something slip at some point, especially when the whole family goes to Disneyland later on. When our son was younger I know we never would have lived it down if we kept something like that from him and he found out, as much as we have extolled the virtues of honesty in our household.

I think there's a good chance your kids will appreciate the importance of their own trip with the grandparents, especially if they are old enough to understand your dad's health issues. Kids are surprising sometimes.

BrerGnat
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Good for you!

I agree with the others, don't hide it. Why? You have nothing to be guilty about. Parents deserve to take vacations alone. Your kids will understand, at least when they are older and have kids of their own. ;) You have to remind them that, once upon a time, they didn't exist, and you and your DH used to travel back then too, and I think they will be happy to know that their parents still like each other enough to do something fun when they are away with their grandparents. Honestly, I get the whole not posting on FB thing. But, take pictures, share, and enjoy!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Have fun, take photos, let everyone know how it was and know that your girls are making precious memories with their grandparents.

We spent a week at WDW without our children for our 20th anniversary trip and are already talking doing the same thing for our 30th.

meldan98
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I think my challenge is that the kids are 3 and 8 and don't always understand. My 3 year old flips out when ever she sees the ads and literally asks me everyday if we are going to Disneyland today. I guess it's just Mommy guilt that we are going to go without them. I know we need our time together and that they are going have a blast with my parents, but I still feel really guilty.

Georgesgirl1
06-26-2012, 09:40 PM
No shame in an adult only trip to Disney! DH and I just got back from a kid free WDW trip a few weeks ago. We were very honest with our 3 year old about where we were going. He wanted to come along, but I reminded him that we will be going in November and that he was going to get to spend a whole 5 days with my parents. He had a blast and so did we.

Cinderelley
06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
I agree with having it out in the open. Your kids need to know that "couple" time is important in relationships. It will help them when they have relationships of their own.

TikiGoddess
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I would tell them after the trip. And do yourself a favor (from one mom to another) -- give up the guilt and enjoy yourselves!

I've been to WDW two times on solo trips. The kids stayed home with hubby. And yes, they knew I was there. Im planning a solo trip for Icot's October celebration, and the girls (ages 7 and 9) are not happy about it. But they know that this is something special for me alone - and that adults need their own time sometimes. This is the way I look at it - my girls are not neglected. They go to WDW every summer, which is more than most kids their age. I'm sure you take very good care of your kids. Let the grandparents take care of them for a while and focus on yourself and your husband. You'll be a better mom for it.

Have a GREAT time! (family trips are great, but adult trips are awesome!!)

Kathy

minnie04
06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Let’s just hope your parents don't have a "Top Secret" trip planned and you run into them at the park!!! Busted :D That would be too funny. It would be like you guys (parents) got caught...lol Either way I would mention to the girls that you and DH might do a few things you don't have to tell all, but this way you can take a pic or two and enjoy yourselves as well. Nothing wrong with time together just the two of you no matter where you decide to go.. have fun !!! they will