PDA

View Full Version : TS Debby

Melanie
06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Feel so horrible for those of you who had their central Florida vacations planned for this week. Man, this one came from out of no where and has pretty much followed a course that no one predicted. And now it's just kind of stalled on top of us. Lots of flooding in the Tampa Bay area.

We've been getting poured on here in Tampa for 24 hours straight. I feel like the lady from the old Living Seas pre-show at Epcot - and they rain, and rain, and rain. The deluge!!! :umbrella:

It's not super, super windy, and although certainly not ideal, there is still fun to be had. If not, it's still fun just hanging out at your resort. But always be aware of the possibilities of tornadoes. There is a watch in effect for the better portion of the day.

For me, I must continue to ready my house for the packers coming tomorrow. Hopefully this will all be out of here by Thursday when it all goes on the truck. Nothing like loading up all your worldly possessions in a pouring rain. :unsure:

Stay dry everyone!

AgentC
06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Feel so horrible for those of you who had their central Florida vacations planned for this week. Man, this one came from out of no where and has pretty much followed a course that no one predicted. And now it's just kind of stalled on top of us. Lots of flooding in the Tampa Bay area.

Me too. I was thinking about everyone on vacation as I watched the deluge last night!

So far we have had 9 inches of rain and my husband had work cancelled today (he works outside.)

Glad you are safe and I suppose the rain is an excuse to stay inside and do more packing prep!:D

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I saw news footage of Pinellas County yesterday ... Holy Cow!!

I hope you all stay safe, and as dry as possible! :grouphug:

Ed
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
The alarm on the weather radio (an absolute necessity in Florida) kept me awake most of the night - - tornado watches and warnings, severe thunderstorm alerts, etc. - - and the rest of the night the sound of torrential rain kept me from sleeping.

And the local "weather guessers" are saying it will be this way for at least the next three days.

The upside ? The grass is finally green and dense. :thumbsup:

The downside ? Once it clears, I'll be busy :mow:

Strmchsr
06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
It's definitely been an incredibly frustrating storm. I wouldn't say it's following a track no one called. The GFS model actually predicted this thing perfectly. But the NHC guys went with the European in their track forecasts until last night. Which is understandable since the Euro has generally been more reliable.

Mel, looks like it should be out by Thursday, but should is the operative word. Especially with this storm. It's going to move VERY slowly north, which means more rain today through Wednesday, before being swept across Florida by a front moving southward. Don't be surprised if animals start showing up at your house 2 x 2. I would recommend going ahead and building an ark.

AgentC
06-25-2012, 08:45 AM
. . . It's going to move VERY slowly north, which means more rain today through Wednesday, before being swept across Florida by a front moving southward. Don't be surprised if animals start showing up at your house 2 x 2. I would recommend going ahead and building an ark.

Ugh. We definitely need to catch up on rain in FL, but I would prefer not do it in one week!

BrerGnat
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
What awful timing! I hope for your sake that your stuff gets loaded onto the truck on a DRY day!

Good luck with packing day!

Lizzy
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Its a mess even over here on the east coast!

no where near the flooding you have, but still pretty ugly. The wind is pretty bad.

Stay safe everyone.

faline
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I've been watching this storm and the radar in Florida - what a mess!

Good luck with your move, Mel!!

Hope everyone stays safe through this storm!

And I'm really sorry for everyone who picked this time frame for a Florida vacation!

Strmchsr
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I really hate to say this, but I'm going to go back on what I said earlier - I'm not sure we won't be dealing with Debby through the weekend. The models are all in for the morning and run and they're in pretty good agreement now. There are no steering currents out there to move this storm. It could be Saturday before it even gets inland and starts to move eastward. Sorry Mel. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

Hammer
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I was talking to my Mom, who lives on Bayshore Boulevard. Bayshore is closed and Mom is watching the bay get blown onto the road. She lives on the 8th floor, so no fear of flooding for her. I did tell her to keep the TV on to check about tornados (she saw a water spout on Tampa Bay) and if they post a tornado warning for her, get on the elevator and hang out downstairs with security.

One of the Phillies players on a rehab assignment in Clearwater took a picture of Bright House Field, which currently would be better named Bright House Lake!

Good luck Mel! Hope you and your things stay dry!

Melanie
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
One of the Phillies players on a rehab assignment in Clearwater took a picture of Bright House Field, which currently would be better named Bright House Lake!

Good luck Mel! Hope you and your things stay dry!

I posted a pic of Brighthouse on my FB page this morning. Even the locker rooms are flooded. Oh my!

Chris, it's all comes with the territory. I'm not even going to get all worked up about it. What can you do? It's just this crazy life we lead. ;)

I do feel horrible for those down here for vacation though. What a mess. :(

Hammer
06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I posted a pic of Brighthouse on my FB page this morning. Even the locker rooms are flooded. Oh my!

Chris, it's all comes with the territory. I'm not even going to get all worked up about it. What can you do? It's just this crazy life we lead. ;)

I do feel horrible for those down here for vacation though. What a mess. :(

I just hope everything is dried out by the time I get there on Friday July 6. Don't want to spend the week at the beach sitting in the condo!

disney obsessed
06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Good luck with the move!!

is it the collection of tears that intercot-ees
will not be getting their very frequent vicarious visits to Disney World through you?:confused:

MNNHFLTX
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Feel so horrible for those of you who had their central Florida vacations planned for this week. Man, this one came from out of no where and has pretty much followed a course that no one predicted. And now it's just kind of stalled on top of us. Lots of flooding in the Tampa Bay area. Hard to believe there could be a rainier week than what we experienced in Orlando a few weeks ago, but I guess this is it! I feel for you all. Ironically, the weather gurus in Houston are lamenting the fact that Debby went east instead of west, as we could use the rain (and somewhat cooler temperatures) here in Houston.

Good luck with your move, Mel!

princessgirls
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Good Luck with your move Mel!!!!

Julie:mickey:

Ms. Mode
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
We have friends that arrived on Saturday @ WDW and stay until Friday....I feel really sorry for them!

I've been watching the Weather Channel and everytime they mention Tampa Bay I think of Mel getting ready to move. Some send off, huh? Best of luck!

Melanie
06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Awww, thanks everybody! It will be fine. Again, what can you do? Believe it or not, we're in a little break right now. Sun is shining, my son is swimming. Just waiting for the next part to roll through. :rain:

brad192
06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
It could be worse - a LOT worse - Debby could have been a Cat 3 hurricane!

You can send some of that rain up here to Michigan if you'd like. We're really behind in our rainfall, especially in the lower half of the state. My lawn has browned up very nicely, thank you...

PirateLover
06-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Yup, that pic of Brighthouse field has definitely gone viral up here in the Philly area. That really does say it all though. Prayers go out to all of those displaced, and hopefully things get back to normal soon. It does stink for all those vacationers, but I guess it's just one of those things about Florida that you need to be aware of, and accept that it is always a possibility this time of year. Hope your move goes smoothly, Mel.

Katzateer
06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Hope it s nice and dry for your move- we moved from Texas to Indiana one time and it Poured the entire time we were loading a uhaul. Horrible move- everything was soaked

The weather is beautiful here right now:thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I am thinking and praying for everyone impacted by Debby this week and that you all stay safe and healthy (albeit soggy).

The name of this storm trips me up every time I see it typed somewhere. It makes me think Dobby from Harry Potter instead of Debby!

Aurora
06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Thinking of you, Mel, and all of you down there. Saying my prayers for some wind to move Debby out into the ocean! :snorkel: