PDA

View Full Version : WDW History - What other areas were under consideration?

Plex
06-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know where else Walt was looking other than central Florida? I know they spent a lot of time searching of the location of Disney World, but I've never heard of what other places were under consideration. Is this even public knowledge?

eandrsmom
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Being from Louisiana, I've heard that they were looking in Louisiana. I think that there was an issue between the local politicians and Walt Disney in regard to serving alcohol at the MK. :beer: (Which wouldn't surprise me knowing the history of our state.)

DizneyRox
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Check out Married to the Mouse for a history of WDW. It's not smothered with Pixie Dust and goes into much of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing that got WDW off the ground.

I believe it was originally St. Louis, but the local govt made a comment that didn't sit well; that night Walt left town and looked elsewhere.

Altair
06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I believe it was originally St. Louis, but the local govt made a comment that didn't sit well; that night Walt left town and looked elsewhere.

The St. Louis project was never going to be as ambitious as WDW. It was going to be 5 or 10 city blocks in the middle of the city. The land would have been free under an urban renewal progect. This progect was ended when Walt turned to Florida for WDW.

Urban legend has it that Auggie Busch said something like, "anyone that doesn't sell beer at an amusement park must be crazy", and that ended the project. This cannot be confirmed.:mickey:

MrPeetrie
06-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Check out Married to the Mouse for a history of WDW. It's not smothered with Pixie Dust and goes into much of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing that got WDW off the ground.

I second this! If you're a Disney junkie, who especially is fascinated with the purchase of property to build this empire, then this is a must-read!

azcavalier
06-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Not that this was supposed to replace WDW, as this was years later, but I remember some rumors of Disney wanting to put a theme park in Northern VA...history-themed? Anyone know the story of that?

Scott C
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Not that this was supposed to replace WDW, as this was years later, but I remember some rumors of Disney wanting to put a theme park in Northern VA...history-themed? Anyone know the story of that?

Way past rumor, it would have been done if it were not for the local opposition. I have a pamphlet on the project and it would have been very cool.

Thanks
Scott C

Scott C
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know where else Walt was looking other than central Florida? I know they spent a lot of time searching of the location of Disney World, but I've never heard of what other places were under consideration. Is this even public knowledge?

You should check out Project Future by Chad Emerson. It gives a VERY in depth history of the selection process.

Thanks
Scott C

PETE FROM NYC
06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I think I remember,10-20 yrs ago, I heard rumors about a seasonal Disney park in New York state someplace.

Plex
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
It would seem logical for them to build something big in the northeast US somewhere. Just look at the globe at the exit of spaceship earth! I know I'd have an AP for sure :cloud9:

sportsguy2315
06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
It would seem logical for them to build something big in the northeast US somewhere. Just look at the globe at the exit of spaceship earth! I know I'd have an AP for sure :cloud9:

I`ve read Married to the Mouse several times, and while Walt did consider building something at Niagara Falls, he was scared off by the fact that he wanted a more wholesome image for his employees than seasonal carnies.

MrPeetrie
06-26-2012, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure if this is fact or myth, but I believe they had plans (and may still have plans) for a ski resort.

Scott C
06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is fact or myth, but I believe they had plans (and may still have plans) for a ski resort.

Mineral King in California -- Environmentalists killed that one. Would have been cool -- Country Bear Jamboree was designed for that project

Thanks
Scott C

W24toISMdirect
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America

Kenny1113
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Great question!!

In regards to other theme park location rumors,
I have heard rumors circulating for years that they are thinking about putting a theme park (possibly water park) here in south Florida(really south, just north of the keys) Apparently the rumors have been running for 20+ years....no theme park or water park. ;)

MrPeetrie
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
When we were in Panama City, we had heard rumors that Disney was intending to open a water park there.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
W24toISMdirect thank you for the link. Great read :thumbsup: as someone who grew up walking distance to Knotts (Dad proposed to Mom across the street) I always like to hear a little history of Knotts as well as disney.

mdricks
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Urban legend has it that Auggie Busch said something like, "anyone that doesn't sell beer at an amusement park must be crazy", and that ended the project. This cannot be confirmed.:mickey:

Now he's dead, AB is owned by a foreign corp, some of the best cocktails are sold at WDW, and I'm 1500 miles away fom the fun!

Thanks a ton auggie. ;)

GO CARDS!
:number1:

Prosdog
06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
There were rumors in the late 80s that Disney was seriously scouting out property near San Antonio, TX. The warm weather, proximity to the 3 of the top 10 largest cities( Houston, San Antonio and Dallas), cheap property values and the location midway between Orlando and Anaheim were supposed to be the driving factors. It never materilized but we did end up getting a Sea World and a Six Flags.

I guess we lost out. Its 1200 miles to Orlando from here in San Antonio, I've been to WDW 3 times in the last 4 years and haven't been to Sea World or Six Flags in the past 15 years.

minnie04
06-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Great question!!

In regards to other theme park location rumors,
I have heard rumors circulating for years that they are thinking about putting a theme park (possibly water park) here in south Florida(really south, just north of the keys) Apparently the rumors have been running for 20+ years....no theme park or water park. ;)

I have heard the same thing too. It would have been nice. I also heard for years that the original Disney location was suppose to be Homestead. Instead they bought in Orlando.. Also would have been nice. Im kind of glad it didnt happen. The parks would have taken a horrible hit with Hurricane Andrew in 92...

It would be awesome if they opened something in the Keys like they did in Hawaii. i think it would be an awesome hit down in the Keys.. Lots of water sports

CaptainSad
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't know if they have cancelled this. But at National Harbor near DC they have a sign saying Disney is coming with a Hotel and water park. It would be a great place...

azcavalier
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
There were rumors in the late 80s that Disney was seriously scouting out property near San Antonio, TX. The warm weather, proximity to the 3 of the top 10 largest cities( Houston, San Antonio and Dallas), cheap property values and the location midway between Orlando and Anaheim were supposed to be the driving factors. It never materilized but we did end up getting a Sea World and a Six Flags.

I guess we lost out. Its 1200 miles to Orlando from here in San Antonio, I've been to WDW 3 times in the last 4 years and haven't been to Sea World or Six Flags in the past 15 years.

The ONLY time I've been to Sea World happened to be in San Antonio, and it was only 5 years ago. Happened to be passing through, wanted to see the Alamo and Sea World.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't know if they have cancelled this. But at National Harbor near DC they have a sign saying Disney is coming with a Hotel and water park. It would be a great place...
That has been cancelled.

Ischyros
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I think (emphasis on 'think') that if he built in St. Louis they were going to require him to sell alcohol on property (because of the Busch headquarters) and Walt refused to do that.

Also, I've never read Married to the Mouse. Has anybody read Realityland? I have read that book many times. How does it compare to Married to the Mouse? I might have to check that one out.