PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Driving Experience??

nat
06-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi, Has anyone tried this? My two sons (age 18) would like to do this? Thanks

Ian
06-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't yet, but I'm going to try my darndest to get John to do it with me for I-15!

Melanie
06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I checked into it for my hubby on Father's Day, but just couldn't justify the $400+. I'm sure it is a very, very cool and unique experience. Wish we had that kind of $$$$ to throw around.

Ian
06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I checked into it for my hubby on Father's Day, but just couldn't justify the $400+ ... Hmmm ... I thought it was only like $250? Is it really $400?

Melanie
06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Okay sorry, I misspoke...a bit.

Ferrari 458 Italia is $419.
Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 is $389.
Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 is $299.
Audi R8 is $239.
Porsche 997 S is $169.

These prices don't include a $35 driver fee, and don't include tax. Add it all up and the only cars my hubby would want to drive would be $400+. ;)

nat
06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow..that is a lot...I thought I read that prices start at $199.00 for six laps?? Where is it located? I wonder how Disney will do with this?

SandmanGStefani24
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow..that is a lot...I thought I read that prices start at $199.00 for six laps?? Where is it located? I wonder how Disney will do with this?

located at WDW Speedway where the Petty Experience is, and where Indy and Nascar Trucks used to race. They made a road course using the tri-oval front, and turns 2 and 3 combined with a few chicanes through the infield. A few quick lefts and rights and one sweeping turn to get a little speed.

I race in my spare time, can you tell? :D

Quadstriker
06-23-2012, 11:10 PM
located at WDW Speedway where the Petty Experience is, and where Indy and Nascar Trucks used to race. They made a road course using the tri-oval front, and turns 2 and 3 combined with a few chicanes through the infield. A few quick lefts and rights and one sweeping turn to get a little speed.

I race in my spare time, can you tell? :D

Since you seem to know what you're talking about, would you say it's worth the money?

SandmanGStefani24
06-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Since you seem to know what you're talking about, would you say it's worth the money?

I'd say if you are not likely to ever own one of these cars, or if you love the idea of driving fast (safely) this would be a lot of fun!

The thing I would say is, unless you really love a particular car, get the cheapest vehicle. You are not likely to feel much of a difference from one car to the next unless you have done a lot of driving on track or are a real gearhead. Also, the track is designed for you to feel like you are on the edge of out of control, without putting you in any real danger. If you love cars or just driving fast I'd say it's something to cross off your bucket list.

nat
06-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all your info and for the tip on getting any car! That will keep the price down! :number1:

jimsgal05
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I have to say thanks for all the info too...I was going to do this for my husband when we are down there I still might but with the cheap car...lol
we have Pong and a benz so we like cars... and I love racin' but he can do it..I will watch!!!

lawgirl
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
We are going in Sept and I signed my dad up (he loves cars!) for the Audi. It got really good reviews, is only slightly more expensive to drive than the Porsche, and is apparantly the favorite car among the pro-instructors.

I hope its worth it, as it is pricey...but definitely worth trying at least once.

I did find a discounted rate on another site...wdwinfo.com. I hope its ok to post that info. I just googled "wdw exotic driving experience coupon" and that site popped up with discounted rates.

Main Street Jim
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I race in my spare time, can you tell? :DWhat do you race, and where? :thumbsup: My dad owns an asphalt Super Late Model that he crews and my brother drives; they run over at Orlando SpeedWorld on the east side of town (between Orlando and Cocoa off of SR 520).

Quite a few of the instructors at RPDE - and I'd assume at this new experience - are racers over there at SpeedWorld and at New Smyrna Speedway near Daytona. A guy that's driven my dad's car a few times - Chad Pierce - is a stunt driver over at Lights! Motors! Action! at Hollywood Studios.

If they're using part of the oval for this Exotic Car experience, are there now certain days that the RPDE uses the oval, and the Exotic Cars use the road course?

On another note - if you're into racing - I know for a while they were having some pretty serious Kart racing in the infield there at the WDW Speedway (real race karts - not those "rental" things you find at your local Mini-Golf/Go-kart place) on Wednesday evenings, open to anyone willing to fork over the $35 (I believe). I can find out more ;)

lawgirl
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I'd say if you are not likely to ever own one of these cars, or if you love the idea of driving fast (safely) this would be a lot of fun!

The thing I would say is, unless you really love a particular car, get the cheapest vehicle. You are not likely to feel much of a difference from one car to the next unless you have done a lot of driving on track or are a real gearhead. Also, the track is designed for you to feel like you are on the edge of out of control, without putting you in any real danger. If you love cars or just driving fast I'd say it's something to cross off your bucket list.

Question for you...how exactly do you get to the driving track? We are staying at AKL and will have a car, but I was wondering the logistics of my dad getting to the track. Can you take the WDW busses to get there? Where exactly would you go from the AKL to get there?

And if we were planning on eating breakfast at one of the monorail hotels, like Poly or Contemp, is there a way to get to the track without having to drive there ourselves? Thx!

SandmanGStefani24
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
What do you race, and where? :thumbsup: My dad owns an asphalt Super Late Model that he crews and my brother drives; they run over at Orlando SpeedWorld on the east side of town (between Orlando and Cocoa off of SR 520).

;)

MainStreetJim, started with dirt late models, then got into SCCA to race road courses for a while. Go back and fourth between the two. I have friends who run dirt here in TX and run their backup car when I can.

Question for you...how exactly do you get to the driving track? We are staying at AKL and will have a car, but I was wondering the logistics of my dad getting to the track. Can you take the WDW busses to get there? Where exactly would you go from the AKL to get there?

And if we were planning on eating breakfast at one of the monorail hotels, like Poly or Contemp, is there a way to get to the track without having to drive there ourselves? Thx!

The track entrance is just Past MK's main gates when you drive in. You drive/ride in like you are going to MK but hook a left instead of following the road to park. Honestly never take buses when at WDW anymore so couldn't tell you much more. I always park right outside the racetrack in the designated areas. As far as without a car maybe another Intercot friend can help us there..

Main Street Jim
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
The other option, too, is to get to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). At the TTC, the RPDE has a van that picks up guests at what was the old kennel/Lost & Found Central. They'll pick you up and bring you back there afterwards, I believe.

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
We are going in Sept and I signed my dad up (he loves cars!) for the Audi. It got really good reviews, is only slightly more expensive to drive than the Porsche, and is apparantly the favorite car among the pro-instructors.

I hope its worth it, as it is pricey...but definitely worth trying at least once.

I did find a discounted rate on another site...wdwinfo.com. I hope its ok to post that info. I just googled "wdw exotic driving experience coupon" and that site popped up with discounted rates.

I recently had a chance to drive an R8 in a more real world setting and it is an awesome vehicle. I am sure your dad will love getting to drive it on a track at speeds closer to what it was designed to do.

mustBgoofy
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM

My husband drove the R8 on the 27th and he had a blast! It handled better than the other cars you have the option of driving. I am sure your dad will have blast!

I also saw you were staying at AKL, we were too and drove from there to RPDE. You just go like you are going to the Magic Kingdom and stay in the left lane. They will send you instructions in the e-mail with all of the forms you need to have completed. It looks like you are going to exit the TTC and you stop at the guard shack and sign in and then drive under the track through the tunnel into the infield. It was great having the car there because we were there at the time they stated and had snacks and the ice chest in the car (we were going home) and it was great to put the tailgate up and sit in the shade for a bit snacking. There is no shade when watching the exotics so bring sunscreen and sunglasses!

We LOVE Disney
07-07-2012, 10:33 PM
My husband drove the R8 on the 27th and he had a blast! It handled better than the other cars you have the option of driving. I am sure your dad will have blast!

I also saw you were staying at AKL, we were too and drove from there to RPDE. You just go like you are going to the Magic Kingdom and stay in the left lane. They will send you instructions in the e-mail with all of the forms you need to have completed. It looks like you are going to exit the TTC and you stop at the guard shack and sign in and then drive under the track through the tunnel into the infield. It was great having the car there because we were there at the time they stated and had snacks and the ice chest in the car (we were going home) and it was great to put the tailgate up and sit in the shade for a bit snacking. There is no shade when watching the exotics so bring sunscreen and sunglasses!

We got the R8 as a graduation gift for our son and he had a blast! He went on the 28th so just the day after you. The guy that rode with him accidentally had the throttle on only 50% so they gave my son more laps........for free! He ended up driving a total of 15 laps!

Oh, and they had 2 umbrellas for shade when we were there =)

lawgirl
07-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the info! I can't wait...my dad is very excited about it, and hopefully it will be a great experience for him. It sounds like the R8 is definitely the way to go!

Thanks guys!

lawgirl
07-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Just curious, as the website says there really is no waiting area for small children...is there any point to bringing along my 2.5 YO son to watch his Papa "race" the car? What is the waiting / observation area like? We'll have the Yukon with us, so there will be plenty of room to stretch out and take the cooler along and prob have the ipad too, but just wondering how waiting around with him is going to be.

Will we even be able to see my dad driving? Is it really noisy? And hot? And fumey?

Thanks!