PDA

View Full Version : Was I Wrong?

Pop Centurion
06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Yesterday I stopped at a gas station that was pretty crowded. For those who don't know, we're full service here in NJ.
The line I was in had two pumps with a car at each & a woman in an SUV in front of me. The car at the first pump finished & drove away. At least a minute passed & the woman in front of me didn't drive around the car at the 2nd pump to pull up to the vacant first pump. So I gave her a beep of the horn & she still sat there. After a few seconds I decided to pull around myself. I shut the car off & opened the fuel door when the attendant came over & said "you just cut in line in front of that woman & she's upset". I explained to him that she sat there & wouldn't pull up to the empty spot even after I honked at her but the attendant said "sorry sir but I'll have to wait on her before you". So I said " so you're going to make me sit at the empty pump & hold up everyone else until the other pump opens & you can help her first?" & he said y"yes, then I'll help you"
Now how stupid is that? I told the kid they lost my business & drove away.

Do you think I was wrong for pulling up to the empty pump after giving her way more than enough time to do so herself? I don't think I was wrong at all but maybe I'm missing some sort of "gas station etiquette" here. :p

Dulcee
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
(Former NJ-ian chiming in)

I would have done the same thing you did.

I live in NC now. This former NJ girl is all about self pumping now. When we visit family I can barely sit tight long enough for them to come and help me now.

DVC2004
06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
It doesn't sound like it to me. I would have done the same.She didn't move up...you beeped and she didn't move still...what was she waiting for? We only have self service here so I don't know the etiquette, but it sounds you like you were fine.

I'm petite, and a pet peeve of mine is when I am standing in line and a clerk overlooks me or assumes I with the person they are waiting on, then calls on the person behind me and they walk up. Not a grocery store single-file line, but like at a Panera when people are standing all over the place and there are a couple registers next to each other. Sometimes, people are polite and say aren't you next but there are other times the person just moves up in front of me. Not sure why? LOL. Am I not a person because I am 5'1?

Off topic , sorry. I think you were fine. Sounds like that lady was just confused or maybe never went to a full service pump before (from out of state maybe) and didn't know what to do.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't think you were wrong. I would have done the same as you.

cer
06-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I had no idea that gas stations still offered full service. :confused:

That is a childhood memory for me.

BrerGnat
06-20-2012, 07:01 PM
You didn't do anything wrong. I would have done the same thing. The attendant is a moron.

greengeen
06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a feeling that the woman in the SUV and the attendant would tell the story a little different. There are two sides to every story and we only know yours.

DisneyDog
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think you were wrong. Here in self-serve PA, we will drive all the way around to go to an open pump. It may not be courteous, but I see people get cut off all the time. You were more than polite, letting her know she needed to move up. Actually, the attendant should have been more on top of that situation. He wasn't doing his job.

I remember full service when I first learned to drive. Here in PA, we had both. I used to choose full service because I didn't know how to pump gas. We see it as a treat whenever we cross over the bridge to New Jersey. I'll be there this weekend when we go "down the shore!" Not only do we not have to get out of the car, but the gas is cheaper!

Pop Centurion
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Actually, the attendant should have been more on top of that situation. He wasn't doing his job.It was very busy so I can understand him not noticing her just sitting there & motioning her up. I'm sure that's why he didn't see the situation either. Otherwise he would have understood why I pulled around the woman. But his idea to make me wait at an open pump was unacceptable.

@ greengeen. That is true but in this case there is no other side. She was aware the pump was open. She wasn't on a cell phone, looking in her purse, etc. I could see her and she was fully attentive. When I beeped she looked in her side mirror at me & made no indication of her not being able to proceed. So I see no way for her to justify not moving to the open pump in the amount of time she sat there.
I didn't notice if she was from out of state so I can't say if she was aware of full service but there were attendants going from pump to pump waiting on customers so I doubt that was her excuse.

Wolf
06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
That is the craziest concept ever to me!! I've been in Alabama my whole life and we have regular scraps at the gas stations but they are always about people cutting each other off or acting stupid in general, from what I understand of this concept you seem totally in the right here and the attendant was just henpecked by some preexisting issue that had nothing to do with you. People are weird anyways...

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a feeling that the woman in the SUV and the attendant would tell the story a little different. There are two sides to every story and we only know yours.

I always say there are 3 sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth! Nevertheless, I get what you're saying, however, the fact of the matter is, the woman didn't pull up. The original poster waited a minute, beeped (the woman acknowledged the beep, and the woman still didn't move up. You snooze, you lose!

minnie04
06-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I think you did the right thing by beeping. I bet you she was either texting or posting something on her phone. And probably didn’t even hear you. SO yeah I think you gave her the heads up the pump was open and she didn’t take it. The worker probably wanted to keep peace by offering an upset woman first dips...

TiggeRia
06-21-2012, 10:05 PM
From a fellow Jersey person, I would have done the same thing. You gave her plenty of time and warning. In my opinion, you snooze, you lose. And spending my whole life in Jersey, I despise having to pump my own gas!!

DizNee143
06-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Don't think your wrong at all!! I'm from Jersey too.. I would of done the same thing! And shoot I would of got out the car and started pumping the gas myself..or laid on the horn the whole time the stupid lady was getting her gas..lol.. something..I can't stand stupid people and bad drivers!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm with you on this one. I would have done the exact same thing.