PDA

View Full Version : Where would you like to live if you could move to florida?

forever a child
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
To make my long story short...I am looking for work and have connections with a former manager to get a job with an insurance company. They have offices in Florida and tomorrow I meet with her to take a look at options for a potential future home office.

I really want to move to florida. My daughter will be leaving in the fall for college. I am a single mother with two dogs and a cat. I just like the idea of being close to the florida beaches and WDW. I am a little nervous about it since most of my family is in Michigan and my DD will be in Cleveland for school. Yet I need to do this for me. Any thoughts? Also, any suggestions on locations? I would like to be close to WDW (within 1 about an hours drive) but I really do not think I would like to live in Orlando.

I would like a small town feel. I have no idea about the cost of living compared to Louisville KY or Michigan. Any suggestions would be welcomed! I can't believe by this fall I could actually be living close enough to visit my happy place whenever I want to! :cloud9:

Melanie
06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Tampa! Seriously, we love it. It meets your wishes (within an hour to WDW, close to beaches), plus Tampa itself has so much to offer.

Good luck with your decision!

joonyer
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I would choose Captiva Island. Beautiful, small and uncrowded. But it's quite a drive to WDW from there. If Tampa is too big, you could try the area just west of there along the coast, Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Dunedin area, maybe more of a small town feel.

DonLefNY
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I live part time in Poinciana, Florida which is south of WDW. It's a 26 miles drive to Epcot for me.

forever a child
06-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you, I will look at all of the cities/towns shared. Obviously, since I won't have a child in school..the schools are not an issue but cost of living, and safety are a concern. Also a dog friendly town/neighborhood.

AgentC
06-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I might be biased, but I am going to back Mel up and say somewhere in the Tampa Bay area. :D

Tampa Bay encompasses Hernando, Pasco, HIllsborough (Tampa proper), and Pinellas counties. (St Pete and Clearwater). Other close by counties are Sarasota, Manatee and Polk.

Hillsborough and Pinellas put you closest to everything and there are lots of communities within the counties/cities that can give you more of a small town feeling.

dnickels
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Assuming your two main attractions are the beach and Disney, would you rather be right on or near the beach or right near Disney property? I know a lot of people will come down and pick a place that sort of splits the difference but for me personally I'd rather have one of those things just a 5-10 minute drive or just a bike ride / walk away and have the other one an hour than have each of them a 30-40 minute drive away from where I live. There's nothing quite like walking to the beach or being able to see Disney fireworks from your backyard.

If you like the beach, look at places there. Cocoa, Satellite, Indian Harbor and Indiatlantic beaches on the Atlantic side all have very reasonable rentals where you'd be just a few blocks from the beach. On the Gulf side things are a little more built up with condos, but Dunedin provides easy access to Honeymoon Island, while anywhere from Clearwater Beach on down to Treasure Island give you true beach-side living.

If you'd rather be close to Disney, take a look at Champion's Gate, the four corners area, Hunters Creek, Dr. Phillips, Windermere or Winter Garden.

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't know much about Florida, but have always wanted to live near the beach. And as much as I love WDW, not sure I'd want to live right there in the Orlando area. An hour or so away would be fine with me. Tampa would probably be a place I would look into if I were moving to Florida.

Daisy'sMom
06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I might be biased, but I am going to back Mel up and say somewhere in the Tampa Bay area. :D

Tampa Bay encompasses Hernando, Pasco, HIllsborough (Tampa proper), and Pinellas counties. (St Pete and Clearwater). Other close by counties are Sarasota, Manatee and Polk.

Hillsborough and Pinellas put you closest to everything and there are lots of communities within the counties/cities that can give you more of a small town feeling.

Have you been to downtown Brooksville in Hernando County? It is so nice. Just love it there. Also like Dade City in Pasco, but it is growing to fast. :mickey:

chefmickey3
06-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Another vote for the Tampa area. Look at Largo. It is minutes from the beaches near Clearwater and not far from the city of Tampa. Cost of living and housing is reasonable. It is where we would move it we could live in FL (and I wish we could live in FL).

MNNHFLTX
06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
We lived for 12 years in the Suntree/Viera area east of Orlando (in Brevard County). About 65 miles to Disney World, just a few miles from some nice beaches, with good restaurants and shopping. And while it's a fairly well-populated area, it has more of a small-town feel to it.

Melanie
06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
I've seen a couple mentions of Dunedin here, and maybe I've just been to the wrong areas of Dunedin, but no way would I live there. :blush:

We live on the east side of Tampa, Valrico/Brandon to be exact, and it's about an equal drive to the beaches and to WDW. This area has a nice, small town feel to it. I love the beach, but living in a beach community is not something I'm interested in. Living close enough for day visits, or even weekends, is ideal.

You've got a lot of good suggestions here. :thumbsup:

forever a child
06-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I have been looking at places from your suggestions all afternoon. Thank you. I will need to be reasonable close to one of the offices...but I know the tampa area and some of the other areas I have looked at have offices close by. So far so good.

So my question is Traffic in some of these areas like Tampa? Secondly, and this is the dumb question....hurricanes? I have grown up in MI and live in KY for the last 6 years and we see a lot of tornadoes, so I am used to them and that they are seasonal. But what should I expect of hurricanes? Anything else I should be asking that I am clueless about? :blush:

Melanie
06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Tampa area traffic is not bad at all. You have expected delays and such at rush hour times, but otherwise I can't recall ever sitting in traffic in the years we've lived in Tampa. Certainly nothing close to other places we've lived and visited, such as DC or Atlanta. In fact, there is a quite an extensive north-south expansion being built of the Selmon Expressway (the crosstown toll road) linking it to I-4, which will be very nice when finished next year.

If you are used to tornados, hurricanes should be a breeze. At least you can prepare for hurricanes. Living near water always brings the chance of storms. But anywhere you live has the chance of some kind of weather.

This brings up another point though. Are you sure you like the heat...all the time....all year round? I'll be honest, it's the one thing I really dislike about living here. We are moving next month, and although I'm terribly sad about it, I won't miss the heat. I've so missed having seasons besides summer, summer, summer and spring. ;) Last year the winter actually had some pretty cold days, but this year has been really mild. The heat and humidity is rough. The first couple Christmas's with palm trees and 80 degrees are kinda cute, but then.....

But lots of my friends and co-workers are folks who moved to Florida from the north and love it. So it's just personal preference.

forever a child
06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Tampa area traffic is not bad at all. You have expected delays and such at rush hour times, but otherwise I can't recall ever sitting in traffic in the years we've lived in Tampa. Certainly nothing close to other places we've lived and visited, such as DC or Atlanta. In fact, there is a quite an extensive north-south expansion being built of the Selmon Expressway (the crosstown toll road) linking it to I-4, which will be very nice when finished next year.

If you are used to tornados, hurricanes should be a breeze. At least you can prepare for hurricanes. Living near water always brings the chance of storms. But anywhere you live has the chance of some kind of weather.

This brings up another point though. Are you sure you like the heat...all the time....all year round? I'll be honest, it's the one thing I really dislike about living here. We are moving next month, and although I'm terribly sad about it, I won't miss the heat. I've so missed having seasons besides summer, summer, summer and spring. ;) Last year the winter actually had some pretty cold days, but this year has been really mild. The heat and humidity is rough. But lots of my friends and co-workers are folks who moved to Florida from the north and love it. So it's just personal preference.

Great response, Thanks Melanie! So glad to hear traffic is not that bad! I regards to the heat question....well, I love the heat. I have joked with my DD and family that I am the evolutionary product of global warming. I lived in MI long enough and hate winter. The first snow storm we had while in KY was mild but I was ready to pack my bags and move further south. I would much rather deal with the heat than the cold. I realize many people feel differently, but it is one of the things I look forward to. If I want seasonal changes, I will go visit my family up north.

All of this has given me a great starting point for my meeting tomorrow! Thank you! I am still debating between east coast side on the beach or within a few miles or Tampa which seems like it offers a lot more with the larger population and both being in driving distance. I guess I really don't mind either as long as I can find a dog friendly community as I really want to be close to a dog park. My dogs might not be as happy about the heat but they don't get a vote unless they offer to help pay the bills. My DD seems happy with the idea of coming "home" from Cleveland to Florida. I think it will guarantee that she comes home for breaks! :D

olivegirl
06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
For me without a doubt....CLEARWATER BEACH for me!!!!!!!!:cloud9:

AgentC
06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Have you been to downtown Brooksville in Hernando County? It is so nice. Just love it there. Also like Dade City in Pasco, but it is growing to fast. :mickey:

I have. I love the old houses. I live in Hernando in Spring Hill. :) Of course many of my Tampa friends think I live I the boonies!

Melanie
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Re dog parks - we have some friends who live in the Davis Islands area of Tampa, and they are always taking their dog to Avery Park and Davis Islands Dog Beach. Just throwing that out there if you want to do any research.

Melanie
06-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I have. I love the old houses. I live in Hernando in Spring Hill. :) Of course many of my Tampa friends think I live I the boonies!

That's so funny Cindy! I remember telling people we were moving to Valrico and their response being 'that's too far out in the country!'

big blue and hairy
06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
If you like the idea of being near big cities, without living in the city. Investigate South Florida. We live between Miami and Ft Lauderdale. Lots to do, big city ammenities, suburban living.

:sulley:

AgentC
06-19-2012, 08:41 PM

I agree with Mel for the most part. I have sat in traffic at rush but it is certainly better than what I was used to in the Boston area. It really depends on where you are, where you are going and what time of day it is. I have never had a problem at non rush hour times.

When I worked by the Tampa Airport that area does get quite congested at rush hour. They have improved the roads and it is better but it is probably one of the tougher areas. Our office moved to New Tampa and even though it is a busy area, it was much easier to get around. Now I work from home myself and just avoid those hours when I need to go into the office. :)

AgentC
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
That's so funny Cindy! I remember telling people we were moving to Valrico and their response being 'that's too far out in the country!'

I get that a lot. I've was always a commuter so I never thought of it. The funniest time was when someone visited me and she said, "OMG, I passed cows on my way here." If she only knew there is a cow farm across the street from my son's school! :D

Melanie
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I get that a lot. I've was always a commuter so I never thought of it. The funniest time was when someone visited me and she said, "OMG, I passed cows on my way here." If she only knew there is a cow farm across the street from my son's school! :D

I know I was certainly in the crowd of out-of-state folks who thought of Florida as beaches and theme parks. Never really occurred to me until we moved here how much farm area there really is around here, especially like on I-75 towards Gainesville. Even here we're surrounded by cows and strawberries. ;)

PirateLover
06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I will definitely be bookmarking this thread. With me now unemployed, DH wants me to focus on finishing out graduate school (Which I can do by the end of next summer if I don't go back to work full-time). Once I finish my master's thesis, we are seriously considering relocating to Florida, and we have similar desires as you. Love the beach, and of course, love WDW. My brother and sister-in-law have already relocated to Ft. Lauderdale for his work, and MIL is willing to come, if not right away then within a few years, especially if we start a family. We have tossed the idea around for at least 5 years, and are at a point in our lives where we sort of feel like it's now or never, so why not take the jump. The worst that can happen is that we will miss home too much and we'll move back after a few years. Don't mean to hijack your thread but I would've posted something very similar to this soon, so, I appreciate you getting the ball rolling!:thumbsup:

Aquagreenpbc
06-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Congrats on your move! :) I thought I would go e my .02 worth since I've been where you are.

I've lived in Spring Hill/Brooksville, and didn't care for it. It's VERY rural IMO. Getting to Tampa will cost you time or money. I 75 is a pain to get to, and traveling on the Suncoast (turnpike) can get expensive. This area isn't too far from Orlando, but not close to the beach.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Tampa, and it really doesn't have that small town feel. The traffic can be a bear at certain areas. There's even a stretch we call malfunction junction it's so crazy.

Clearwater has CRAZY traffic, especially during season. And while the beach is nice, the area is very commercial and congested.

I also lived in Sarasota and Bradenton. It was OK, but crime was becoming an issue.

I now live in Jupiter, Fl, just north of West Palm Beach and love it! I live 4 miles from the beach, but probably 1:45 mins from Disney. It's a really cool and safe beach town with a small town feel but fairly pricey.

My sister lives in Vero Beach, and it's a cute little beach town. She really loves it, and housing isn't too expensive.

I also have a cousin who lives in Viera. That too is a really nice area. Very small town feel. Clean and safe. Relatively close to Cocoa Beach and no more than an hour drive to Disney. Housing is pretty inexpensive.

Having lived on both coasts, I have to say I prefer the easy coast. It's a lot easier to get anywhere you want on 95 or the turnpike. The west coast felt isolated to me.

When planning my many moves, I've found the City Data forums priceless! You'll find great info on all the areas mentioned, and can get really good info by asking questions since the forums are pretty active.

Good luck with you're move! I know it's nerve wracking, but as long as you do your research (which obviously you are), you should be just fine! :)

Hammer
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Time for me to give my opinion! I'm going to join the chorus of people in suggesting the Tampa area, though my suggestion would be to look more at Pinellas county, specifically Largo and some parts of Clearwater. Though, I would say that US 19 is very crowded during Spring Training as Philadelphia moves to Clearwater to watch the Phillies, even when they are bad, and Canadians go to Dunedin for the Blue Jays.

My parents lived in Clearwater (Feather Sound) and it was very nice and peaceful, but you are 15 minutes from Tampa Airport and US 19. Mom moved to South Tampa after my Dad died to be closer to her family and her doctors in Tampa, and that is great too, but busier than what you seem to be looking for.

RedSoxFan
06-20-2012, 09:15 AM
I just came back from spending two weeks in West Palm Beach (helping DS#1 get settled there as he is a tv reporter there). It is absolutely gorgeous. He lives downtown in City Place and has a view of the intercostal waterways. I can't wait to visit him again!!

Daisy'sMom
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Well, it is a small world. I live in Brooksville. :) And it is the boonies, but we love it. :mickey:

Lizzy
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I live in Palm Bay, small town- don't move here. It's horrible.

My parents live in the Suntree/ North Melbourne/ Viera and I love it up there. It is 10 minutes from the Beachline, which means it is 45 minutes from WDW.

It is right over the causeway from the beach.

There are several dog parks, including a dog beach here now- just opened.

When I can afford to move, I do plan on moving to the Suntree area myself.

But do not, I repeat do not move to Palm Bay :ack:

I have friends over in Tampa. The highways and traffic scare the poop out of me. I get so turned around and its scary. But other than that Tampa is lovely. There are museums, an aquarium, zoos, its close enough to WDW for day trips, my friend totally loves living there.

MNNHFLTX
06-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Secondly, and this is the dumb question....hurricanes? I have grown up in MI and live in KY for the last 6 years and we see a lot of tornadoes, so I am used to them and that they are seasonal. But what should I expect of hurricanes? We were extremely blessed, for the most part, when we lived on the east coast of Florida (Suntree/Viera) with hurricanes bypassing us (always seemed to hit NC Outer Banks!) However the last year we lived there was very active with hurricanes in our area (Charley, Frances, Jeanne and Ivan) and really brought home how severely these storms can affect your life along the coastal areas. We lived about 5 miles from the outer coast and had our home boarded up for a month when Frances and Jeanne came through. We were very fortunate not to lose power, but a huge portion of the local population lost power for 8+ days for each storm and damage to their homes to boot. I guess what I'm saying, is that if you move to a coastal area in Florida the odds of a really powerful hurricane hitting your area are relatively rare, but can happen. And you almost certainly will experience tropical storms and possibly minor hurricanes if you live there long enough. Floridians become accustomed to this just as you are accustomed to tornadoes in your current neck of the woods, so I'm sure you can adjust. :)

Dixie Springs
06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I always recommend 'City Data Forums' (Orlando-specific) for this question. Nothing against Intercot, but there is a wealth of knowledge there from actual residents. It is not moderated as heavily as Intercot, so you will see strong feelings, arguments, etc. - but with such a big decision, you may need the bandwidth and candor offered there. The biggest downer on that board is the crime talk. Gads - it's enough to scare you away! The most 'favored' communities are Windermere, Dr. Phillips and Lake Mary.

Melanie
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I have friends over in Tampa. The highways and traffic scare the poop out of me. I get so turned around and its scary.

Really Lizzy? I read yours and the other review on Tampa traffic with great interest. I guess if you aren't used to big cities, maybe Tampa traffic could be scary, but really, it's nothing.

Lizzy
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
:blush:It was terrible for me! lol

Scott and I drove over to Tampa a couple months ago. We went straight to the Salvatore Dali museum from over here, exiting off 75 into the city and cars going this way and that, and roads everywhere, I was amazed we made it over to the other side of the bay. Once in the small area the museum was in We had google maps and it took us the wrong way, then we had to navigate the one way streets to get over to where the new museum was located.

Then we had to go back across the bay to our hotel- Grand Hyatt. Which I was driving (bad idea, I can't stand big cities) I got off on what I thought was the right exit but didn't get over fast enough or something, went through the airport.

Then I finally get to the right road and after following the maps uturn route, we ended up miles away and in a neighborhood. Back on the highway and back through the airport again. It was terrible! Finally got to the hotel. We wanted to go out to eat, but the hotel shuttle shut down at 7 that night, we wouldn't have had a way back, and there was no way I was going to try and drive that again!!!!

The next morning we went from the hotel to the Fl Aquarium. Again, getting all turned around, and contruction was terrible. I had to actually skip through some cones to get on an exit that I missed. :blush:

Dopey's Girl
06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm with Mel in saying Tampa area. Every January my family goes to spend some time on the Gulf Coast east of Tampa. The last few years I have spent more and more time enjoying some of the entertainment offerings in Tampa proper, and I really like it. So much so that each trip, I get closer and closer to taking the leap and moving. I have never really had a ton of traffic problems, but I live in the city now so it's not such a shock.

I'm with you on the hating winter thing. 35+ Minnesota winters under my belt makes an 80 degree January day sound like heaven. It's not everyones cup, but I think I would love it!

Good luck!

AgentC
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
:blush:It was terrible for me! lol
. . .
The next morning we went from the hotel to the Fl Aquarium. Again, getting all turned around, and contruction was terrible. I had to actually skip through some cones to get on an exit that I missed. :blush:

Don't feel bad. Tampa can be confusing if you are not used to it and the signage is not always clear. There are roads that change name mid road, sometimes you have to south to go north :) and I have personal gotten into the wrong lane to go to the airport twice since they changed the exit. They are redoing some of the airport signs to make it clearer. The Aquarium has a signage problem too. I know one of the signs disappears along the route and if you don't know where you are going it can be confusing. Once you know the roads though , it really isn't bad.

Well, it is a small world. I live in Brooksville. :) And it is the boonies, but we love it. :mickey:

It is and for some reason I have "met" more people on Intercot that have a connection to my off line life than anywhere else.

Ed
06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Boonies or not, Brooksville has one of the coolest Christmas shops I've ever visited. :stock::candy::gift::tree:

forever a child
06-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Just a quick update...I keep researching. Yes, I have been reading on the data city site. I have been placing a lot of job applications out there, networking on LinkedIn, etc. Seems like a FT job in itself. My meeting was cancelled, so I hope that will be rescheduled shortly.

I appreciate the info and comments about living in Florida. I am getting more determined to make it happen. At the moment I am looking for positions in the Tampa Bay area and also South of Daytona along the coast all the way to Melbourne. I am also sort of interested in the Lakeland area.

I am not sure how the traffic issues of Tampa compare to Louisville, but I feel like Tampa can't really be any worse since the population size is quite similar for both cities.

Thank you again for your advise and please keep sharing your thoughts. I am hoping to find something within 2 months if possible. As I would really like to relocate by fall. My hope is to be within 1 - 1 1/2 hours from WDW so that I can spend my free time there during weekends. :cloud9:

forever a child
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
DD and I are having a great time in Florida! I am doing some networking in Port Orange and will head to Melbourne next week. We love it here and I am hoping to find a job! We may visit Universal this saturday or we may do some other things with our friends here. I can totally see myself here...so I am praying for a great job opportunity! :cloud9:

Dopey's Girl
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
DD and I are having a great time in Florida! I am doing some networking in Port Orange and will head to Melbourne next week. We love it here and I am hoping to find a job! We may visit Universal this saturday or we may do some other things with our friends here. I can totally see myself here...so I am praying for a great job opportunity! :cloud9:

Good luck!

Melanie
07-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Fingers crossed for you!

DisneyDog
07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Remember, just because the population listed is similar, in the winter, that number will probably triple. I used to live in SW Florida, in a town that was relatively quiet in the summer. I lived 3 miles from work, and it took me 10 minutes to commute in the summer. In the winter, I sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic and my commute took 45 minutes.

minnie04
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Not MIAMI!! I have lived here since I was 2. I would stay in Florida, but maybe Naples, Tampa, Orlando, any where past Dade, Broward and Palm Beaches !!! DH works on Miami Beach and will be there for the next 5-6 years until retirement. Then I hoping we MOVE :mickey:

DisneyorBust
07-24-2012, 05:38 AM
How is the Ft. Meyers/Naples area?

Lizzy
07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Too bad I didn't catch this earlier, we could have had a Melbourne Mini Meet! :cool:

minnie04
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
How is the Ft. Meyers/Naples area?

My mom and brother live in Naples and love it. I have been there a lot and it’s so different from Miami's crazy fast pace life style, I love just taking our time over there. I have been to FT. Myer's are well. I like it. It has some really nice areas. I think Miami is just gotten so fast paced in the last 20 years that I’m over it!!! although I have to say being in Miami, we have the best of all the worlds The Keys, Ft. Lauderdale beaches, Miami Beach, Naples, and of course Orlando all within a few hours driving. So I guess it’s not that bad after all. :mickey:

forever a child
07-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Just arrived on Merritt Island, Fl last night. I Have been in Port Orange for the last week. It has been great. We went to Universal on saturday and visited Harry Potter world. It was nice but we missed WDW. Now on to check out the Melbourne area. :thumbsup:

:mickey:

Lizzy
07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I am in Melbourne at work. If you have any questions let me know! :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
07-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Not MIAMI!! I have lived here since I was 2. I would stay in Florida, but maybe Naples, Tampa, Orlando, any where past Dade, Broward and Palm Beaches !!! DH works on Miami Beach and will be there for the next 5-6 years until retirement. Then I hoping we MOVE :mickey:

:ditto:

Sounds like you are in the same predicament as us. DHs job is the only thing keeping us here. If he were able to do a lateral transfer (not typical in his line of work) we would be outta here in a heartbeat.

Minnie97
07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
for you I suggest cocoa beach it is about an hour from disney or Tampa:)

For me I would live in Orlando near the outlet mall that is like 15 min from disney and has a character shop:)

my aunt lives in Naples and she loves it, rides her bike to the beach everyday

garymacd
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
If I had my way, I would live above the firehall on Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom.But that's just me, I suppose.

forever a child
07-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Well, I have been offered and will be accepting a position at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA. It is not Florida like I would have preferred. But it is only 5 hours from WDW! So I can make weekend visits!!!!!! Looking forward to getting my AP soon and planning now for our Dec/Jan visit. I will plan on a visit sooner than then...I think I need to look at the Oct Intercot Meet!!!! I am SO excited!!!!! Wish it was a little closer...but will not complain! See you all soon!:mickey:

Lizzy
07-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Congrats on the job offer! :thumbsup:

honeybear
08-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Thank you for starting this thread. We too are looking to relocate to the Florida area. We have tried to hang on here in NY for too long and it is NOT working out. I am hoping to find work soon. My hubby is a chef so it should not be hard for him. I am liking the idea of the Tampa area. I don't think the traffic will scare me too much. If I can conquer NY traffic, I can handle Tampa Traffic. My question is, if we were to get jobs in the orlando/Disney area, is the commute really bad. I know it is about an hour, but working in NY sometimes your commute via public transportation can be about and hour (for some people 2 hours). Any info will help. I will check out the city data thread too. Thanks!

bleukarma
08-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Congrats on your job offer! I'm sad I didnt see this thread sooner. I work in the title insurance industry and probably couldve gotten you at least an interview at the law firm I work at.

Even though you've already moved, I'll throw in my two cents in case anyone else was wondering. I grew up in south Tampa and now live in the Brandon area, just outside of Tampa. I can get to a beach within 45 min and I can get to WDW within 45 min. It's not close enough to the beach so insurance rates are not through the roof...which is typically the problem with living closer to the beach. And I dont have to worry about hurricane's, unless it's a beast, which is unlikely on the west coast of the state. Most hurricane's don't make it to the Gulf of Mexico and curve around. When they do you have plenty of time to make your plans, if you need to. You learn the right time of the day to get around traffic. I work from home but if I need to go into the office downtown I can get there within 20 min, if I time the traffic right. So...another vote Tampa area. :mickey:

EpcotFanatic
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Longboat Key, Sarasota. :mickey:

Christine
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Congrats on the job!
To the others looking to move to Florida, living in Celebration had proven to be every bit what we hoped and dreamed it would be! We LOVE it here! We are 5 miles from the wdw gate and though many folks think celebration is a bit too "stepford wives" , we find it absolutely charming!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Congrats on the job!

I live just in from the central NC Coast - would not chose to head to FL - my ideal is the NC or TN Mnts.