PDA

View Full Version : Kidani Village vs. OKW

Goofster
06-19-2012, 11:14 AM
We are renting DVC points again for our trip in March 2013 and the 7 month window is fast approaching. We are hoping to get a 2 bedroom villa and our first choice is Boardwalk Villas (we stayed there last year), but I want to have a 2nd and 3rd choice in case BWV is already booked. I'm debating between Kidani Village as our 2nd choice with OKW as a 3rd choice.

Any thoughts from those who have stayed at both properties? Is one better than the other? We will have a car, so location of the resort and bus service issues aren't really a concern for us this trip. I'm looking more for resort atmosphere, pool, food choices, etc.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

laprana
06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Kidani is fabulous! :thumbsup: I've stayed there twice, and you just can't beat the themeing and atmosphere. You really feel like you're in a whole different world when you stay there. The CMs are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are beautiful and spacious, and Saana, the TS restaurant is very good. Kidani doesn't have its own QS place, but the Mara is just a short walk away at Jambo House and you can get some food at Kidani's pool bar. The pool is very nice, and if you'll have kids with you on your trip, there is an awesome kiddie water play area at the pool. If you get a savanna view, I would recommend requesting the Sunset Savanna over the Pembe Savanna. Sunset is much bigger and has a more authentic feel to it. Pembe was good, but is smaller and has a big metal fence running along the edge that just kind of took away from it, IMHO.

I haven't stayed at OKW, so I can't really offer any opinions about staying there, but I have visited. While it's very nice, it has a more generic feel to it and feels more like you're just at a condo complex on a golf course. Olivia's, the TS place, is good, but as I understand it, OKW doesn't have an actual QS restaurant, just a pool bar that also serves food.

If you're looking for great themeing and atmosphere, though, Kidani would be a great choice!! Hope this helps! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Both places are outstanding. We've been DVC members for longer than I care to remember, and we have points at OKW and AKL. AKL (Kidani or Jambo) is an absolutely amazing place. Terrific pools, theme, restaurants, and "feel". But if OKW would be the only option available for you, do not hesitate to take it. The rooms are the most spacious on property - the 2BR unit at OKW is probably our favorite room to stay in on vacation!

Have a great trip, wherever you end up getting your room!

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I think I would go with Kidani. We haven't stayed there yet (we will in July), but have stayed at Jambo twice and visited Kidani several times. Both AKL resorts are amazing!

We stayed at OKW in December and it was also a great resort. The only thing I didn't love about OKW was our room location. Our room was extremely far from the main pool. We actually had to drive to the main pool. I guess we could have walked, but it would have been a long walk. We had our own car so we just drove, but not sure I'd want to have to drive to the main pool each day while on a park break. We were only there for one night so the location of the room wasn't that big of a deal but, I know if we were there for a week I'd have some issues with the location of that room. I wouldn't be happy there. If we could get a room closer to the main pool area we'd definitely stay at OKW again.

Even with a close room location at OKW, I think we'd still pick Kidani over OKW. Just a personal preference.

Goofster
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone for your input. I'm now confident in putting Kidani as choice No.2. :number1: