PDA

View Full Version : Hotel near Universal Studios

JoDisney
06-19-2012, 09:54 AM
What hotel do you recommend near Universal Studios? This hotel would be for young adults and they will NOT spend $200 and $300 for hotels. Any safe, close to Universal hotel recommendations would be appreciated. They would spend something comparable to a Disney value or even moderate. Thanks.

cajundisneyfreak
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Last summer we stayed at the Double Tree by Hilton.It's a nice hotel and we walked to & from the parks while we were there.Hope this helps. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I understand what you are saying about spending a lot on a hotel room. However, if they are visiting the Universal parks there are a few things to keep in mind. If they have any intentions of purchasing Express Pass it may actually be cheaper to spend more on the room and get the Express Pass for free. Add to that early entry into Wizarding World of Harry Potter, being close enough to walk to the parks, and the Universal Resorts can be well worth the money.

We stayed at Universal in December. During our stay Express Pass was around $80 a person. If we had stayed off site and purchased Express Pass it would have cost my family of 4 over $300 a day just to have the pass. We paid just $250 a night for our room!

It may not work in your case, but its definitely something to think about and price out.

minnie04
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Last summer we stayed at the Double Tree by Hilton.It's a nice hotel and we walked to & from the parks while we were there.Hope this helps. :mickey:

The Double Tree is the perfect hotel for young adults. We stayed one year for HHN and it was perfect. The rate was $99..

JoDisney
06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I will check out the Double Tree at Universal. Unfortunately, the Summer rates are higher - it is going to be about $140 to $160 a night. Additionally, they will have to pay to park at the Double Tree. I believe it said $12 a night. I cannot see them staying Hard Rock or Royal, as they are only staying two nights. They are only interested in going to Universal/Islands of Adv. Me, I have not a clue about Universal. They have been to Disney World 100s of times and want to go to Universal. Disney does not have any FL resident rate tickets so they are twice the price of Universal. I might just send them up to AAA office and see what they can get them. Thank you for the suggestions.

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I cannot see them staying Hard Rock or Royal, as they are only staying two nights.

Why? We only stayed for two nights at Hard Rock and it was the perfect amount of time to do both parks and enjoy the wonderful resort. I get it if the price is too high, but I don't see what the amount of nights has to do with it. My SIL and her family also did just two nights at Royal Pacific in Feb. and they loved it as well.

What dates are they going? Looking at dates this summer, I just picked a Friday and Saturday night in July and the rates are pretty high. A bit over $300 a night at Royal Pacific, so yeah, definitely more than they are wanting to pay.

JoDisney
06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes, they are going this summer and the rates were high when we checked earlier. I honestly do not know what choice they will make. AAA will help them tomorrow, as they are members. I told them stay at POP if all goes wrong. I just like the safety factor. Just being a Mom.

JoDisney
06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Summer months are always busy and high in price. That is when students tend to go to Disney and Universal. You get better rates in Feb. and other off months, but not Summer. Everyone descends on the parks because they have freedom from jobs and school. Most of time, the students have no choice but Summer.

Kenny1113
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Another option is to check with MJ to see if they can get them any discounts! :)

cajundisneyfreak
06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I was just thinking about what you said.Staying at a value resort on Disney property might be their best bet.The All-Star Movies,Music,and Sports are cheaper than Pop or the Art of Animation.I can't justify spending that much on a hotel room either(Universal Resorts).I mean really,How much time do you actually spend in the room anyway? I hope it all works out for them and they have a great time. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Summer months are always busy and high in price. That is when students tend to go to Disney and Universal. You get better rates in Feb. and other off months, but not Summer. Everyone descends on the parks because they have freedom from jobs and school. Most of time, the students have no choice but Summer.

Yeah, summer is high demand. But we were there Christmas week, another high demand time.

I'm surprised to see Royal Pacific at over $300 a night this summer, when we only paid $250 a night for Hard Rock during Christmas week, and Express Pass was at one of it's highest prices, around $80 a person. We did use a discount, so that helped, but I would have thought summer would be a little more inline with Christmas week, perhaps even cheaper. Disney resorts are cheaper during the summer months than the week we were there over Christmas.

If all else fails I'd do like others have suggested and stay at a Disney value resort. We've done the drive to Universal twice in the past and it wasn't bad at all. I think it took us 15-20 minutes to get there from WDW. I hope they find something that works for them.

Julie_Mouse
06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
I was searching for almost exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago!

TBH in our search (early August dates) we found most hotels to be in the $90-100/night range. I was really looking for something cheaper, and I eventually stumbled upon a great rate at the Fairfield Inn SeaWorld ($59/night), as I believe the Marriott family of hotels was having a summer promotion (they might still be - worth checking!). My advice would be to keep checking daily until you find a rate you're happy with. Be sure to check the official hotel sites (as opposed to Expedia or Travelocity) as that's where I was finally able to find the best deal!

goofygirl67
06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I just booked ASS for this weekend but am planning to go to Universal, my seasonal pass is no good at WDW right now. I found ASS was cheaper than Holiday Inn near Universal.

JoDisney
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I booked them a room at POP. They decided that was where they wanted to stay, too. To be honest, I am so very happy. I just feel so much more comfortable, as I know they will be safe. Actually, the weather does not look like it is going to be good - rain is going to be plentiful. They are going to see how it goes and they may not go to Islands of Adv., if the rain is bad. They will be on Disney property and will have plenty to do and Mom will be happy.

JoDisney
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
POP is out and CBR is in! The price was similar. When CBR came open I grabbed it. It is raining because of "Debby," but they are having fun. I am glad they are at a Disney Resort. I feel so much better knowing this. I think Universal is out too with all the rain. They are finding things to do and enjoying, even with the rain. However, rain never upset my time when I'm at Disney!:mickey: