PDA

View Full Version : Off site Condos

faberj
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi All,
Does anyone know of some nice off site condos that are close to WDW that you have stayed at???

I am just considering it at this point as you pay such a premium price to stay in a suite on Disney property.

I am looking for something with a seperate bedroom, and a kitchenette.

I know we will loose a lot staying off property, but just curious as to what is out there.

We are currently booked at AKL in a standard room.

Also toying with the idea of staying at AoA in a family suite or CBR in a junior suite.

We have a DS 2 and just not sure a standard room will cut it with naps and bedtime.

All the traveling we have done with him so far we have stayed in a condo type resort.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or comments.

rnin02
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, we haven't stayed there yet, but on our next trip we are staying at Lake Buena Vista Resort Village and Spa. The pictures look nice and the reviews are good. Its not too far away from the property, closest to Animal Kingdom I think. When we factored in all of our costs the price is similar to staying at Port Orleans, but at this place we will have a kitchen, washer and dryer, and separate bedrooms, which i think will help with everyone's sleep and patience.

Pooh Fan
06-19-2012, 10:51 AM
We went to the Vacation Remtal by Owner website (hope it's ok to say that) for one of our off site stays and there were a ton of options for the Disney area. We ended up in a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house with private pool for $400/week. We stayed 2 weeks and paid an extra $50/week to have the heat on in the pool since it was a Feb/March trip. So 14 nights for $900 and that was split by 2 famiies. It was not fancy by any means, but clean and very spacious. It was a great way to be able to afford to stay longer and see more of the Orlando area.

brownie
06-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Check out All Star Vacation Homes (http://intercot.com/resorts/nearby/allstar/default.asp), an INTERCOT sponsor.

Allenfow98
06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I have stayed at Vistana Resorts and Orange Lake Resorts, both were very nice 2 BR condos. I have also rented many offsite houses. The condos are nice because if you know where to look you can get them dirt cheap. I personally dont like the non private pools, and the distance from any services they offer. we really like the private pool and more space you get with a house.
There are pros and cons to both, you just have to know what your getting into

Tri Minnie
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
We have had two wonderful experiences with All Star Vacation homes and plan to do this again the next time we go with my sister's family. With six young children between the two of us, you can't beat the space. We also loved having a kitchen.

While we do enjoy staying on property, we didn't miss it nearly as much as we thought we would. For our families, it really worked out great.

buzznwoodysmom
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Years ago we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort. We had a 2 bedroom condo for $400 for the week. We rented it from a timeshare owner. The resort was less than 5 minutes from one of the WDW gates. Not sure I'd stay there again, only because we don't want to stay offsite again, but it was a very nice, clean place, it had lots of nice ammenities, and was super close to WDW.

eandrsmom
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
We stayed at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek in May, and are going back in July. We rented directly from a timeshare owner, and got a fantastic deal on a 2BR/2BA. I was skeptical at first, but with a family of six, I think we'll be staying there from now on. They have several pools, including one with a pirate ship/waterslide, as well as playgrounds for the kids. I loved having a washer and dryer in our villa. The best thing about the resort was that you had to actually drive through the purple Disney gates to get to the resort. So, even though you're not on Disney property, you're surrounded by Disney property. We had a lake/theme park view and watched the fireworks from Illuminations from our balcony.

faberj
06-20-2012, 08:49 AM
We stayed at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek in May, and are going back in July. We rented directly from a timeshare owner, and got a fantastic deal on a 2BR/2BA. I was skeptical at first, but with a family of six, I think we'll be staying there from now on. They have several pools, including one with a pirate ship/waterslide, as well as playgrounds for the kids. I loved having a washer and dryer in our villa. The best thing about the resort was that you had to actually drive through the purple Disney gates to get to the resort. So, even though you're not on Disney property, you're surrounded by Disney property. We had a lake/theme park view and watched the fireworks from Illuminations from our balcony.

How far is the drive to the parks?
Do they offer pack and plays for small children?
Do they offer daily housekeeping or do you have to make beds and such yourself?

disneynarula
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
We are also renting a condo off site. We used an owner based website as well. If you pm I will send you a link. Some of the units are in the same community as all star but way less expensive. Of course you are running the risk of dealing with an individual rather than a well known company but we are willing to take the risk.

We are getting a four bedroom condo for around $100 a night. The community has a huge pool with a lazy river and is also zero entry. We are coming from Germany and wanted to spend two weeks in Florida but did not want to spend the money to stay on property for two weeks. We are spending a week off site and a week on property.

eandrsmom
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
From the Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the drive to the parks is about the same as from CBR. (It's right next door.) I don't know about cribs or pack and plays, our kids are a bit older. As far as housekeeping, it isn't included unless you rent directly from Wyndham.(Which is quite a bit more expensive than renting from an owner.) I think you have the option of paying extra for housekeeping when you check-in.

CarolS
06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
We rented a house once through All Star Vacation Homes. We got a house that was 500 square feet larger then the one I live in for about the price of a moderate!

Within the community/area we stayed in there were condos in the Windsor Palms and Windsor Hills community that looked really nice. You will definitely save money per night renting a condo compared to staying at akl.

My experience with them was wonderful. Very very easy check in, very helpful, extremely professional and the house was emaculate (and I'm picky). Also if you rent a townhouse you will get your own private splash pool which is nice.

While I do think you loose a bit of the "Disney experience" you can not beat the room. Also they are VERY close to Disney parks. If you google "Windsor Hills" you will see that you are about as close as you would be staying at the All Stars so you are almost on property. And also we saved a ton of money cooking 1-2 meals a day at the condo.

mickeyman42
06-23-2012, 08:01 AM
we always rent from all-star vacation homes and stay in the windsor hills/windsor palms area. we can get a 4 or 5 bedroom house with our own large pool, games room, etc for less than booking a moderate room. we reluctantly started doing this a few years ago but once we realized how much we enjoyed having our own rooms, and the extra space, we can't bring ourselves to stay for more than a few days at a disney hotel. we always rented a car to do offsite things like shopping anyway so that was no big deal. we just cant go back to sleeping in the same room with the kids for a week, to hard on the nerves, and thats the case at all of the disney hotel levels. we usually start our trip at a disney hotel for 2 or 3 nights to get our fix then move over to a house.

disneynarula
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
We are renting a condo in Windsor Palms for the first time. We are taking a two week trip to Orlando and staying off property for the first week. I hope it goes well. We are renting directly from an owner.

TexansInNY
06-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I recommend Formosa Gardens (yes available through All Star) - we have a stay there as well booked for early next year - wanted more room for the little ones plus the private pool. The cost is 2k+ cheaper than our Disney World stays. Don't get me wrong - still need those too as you can see - but splitting this stay as well with other Orlando areas so it works for us.

snowblack
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
All star vaccation Homes. WE went and got a 4 bedroom condo, Absolutley LOVED IT. There was like a 5-10 minute drive to the parks. Not bad at all. The kids really enjoyed the personal pool that is attached to the house. They could get in when ever they wanted.:mickey:

banditlove
07-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend renting a house. Never again will I stay in a hotel for any holiday that lasts more than three or four days. My daughter and I will be traveling to France for a couple of weeks next summer and will be renting a cottage in Provence for five days. Three days will be a Paris apartment and the rest High will be a horse riding holiday- ie. hotels :(

The advantages of renting a house:

1. Numerous bathrooms
2. Private bedroom for parents
3. Games rooms - billiards, air hockey, foosball, etc
4. Numerous tvs with DVDs - kids can relax in their own room with movies ... A nice break from the constant togetherness
5. Private pool and (usually) hot tub
6. Need car but that just gives you the means to escape Disney overload and try other stuff - bysch, sea world, universal, beaches, hot air balloon rides, swimming with manatees, biplane rides ( fun!!!!), canoeing ( there is a swampy area nearby which was beautiful, verdant and full of wildlife), kennedy space centre.
7. Car- private, instant transportation. Easy to head back to house for lunch and afternoon pool break. Just ad easy to head to waterpark fir older kids who want thrills and not naps.

8. Kitchens- saves a load of money and calories.
9. Laundrey facilities in house are free and convenient - no need to pack as much. I normally only travel with my carry-on. No checked (and potentially lost) baggage
10.No loud tour groups to deal with
11. All of the above for under $1000 for 10 days