PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Dining Experiences in WDW

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Try to always be fair and balanced... So, with that, here is the underrated dining experiences in WDW... In this thread, let us discuss our favorite (or underrated) dining experiences.. And remember, we all aren't going to share the same opinions...

BOMA: I know this place already gets decent reviews, but, to me, this place is still underrated... Food was tasty... Over all a great dining experience...

SANAA: Another underrated experience... And another place I will always try to book, if I decide to dine on property...

No laughing but T-REX is on my list... People may want to compare the food to Rainforest Cafe, and that is fair since they are owned by the same company... But, in my opinion, the food in T-REX is so much better... And the atmosphere is awesome... I always request the ice cave room because I like it much more than the meteor shower room, but truthfully, I wouldn't care if I couldn't get into the ice cave... The food alone makes this place worth it to me...

PARADISO 37... I see so many mixed reviews about this place... I want to be one who gives this place a vote of confidence... Dined there last year... Had a burrito.. The burrito was HUGE... and very good... I was seated outside... there is live music in the evenings... And, of course, if you book right, you get to see some of Illuminations... May not be a place I book every trip, but I don't feel the place is overrated, but under appreciated...

KOUZZINA... I was looking forward to this meal two years ago and it didn't disappoint... I had the Greek style lasagna... And thought it was fantastic... Again, may not book there all the time, but I wouldn't object to eating there again...

That is all I will post for now... I may have more, but I need to split for a bit... So, you know the drill.. Tell us your underrated dining experiences (not necessarily your favorites, but feel free to include those as well)... And again, let's see if we can keep this to table service only, excluding the counter service places.. Maybe we can start a new thread for counter service only.. :)

Disney Hungarian
06-17-2012, 02:04 PM
In my opinion:
The most underrated dining experience in all of WDW would have to be La Hacienda de San Angel. Good food nice atmosphere and if you can snag a window seat for Illuminations it becomes a dinner and a show. I like that it is off the radar of most, as I have been able to walk up and get a window seat for Illuminations on 2 seperate occaissions.:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
06-17-2012, 02:32 PM
There are a few places you don't hear much about, that my family has loved.

First of is Kona Cafe! We've had breakfast and dinner here and everything was amazing. I think with all the hype (much deserved in my opinion) Ohana's gets, Kona Cafe sort of goes unnoticed.

Chefs de France was a place I hadn't heard much about. We booked it to try something new in Epcot and it was one of the best meals of that particular trip.

We also stumbled upon Grand Floridian Cafe on one trip. We were going to be in MK for my birthday on a sort of last minute trip. I hadn't made many ADRs for that trip. That morning I called dining to see what was available in the MK area for an early dinner and this place was among the very few places available. We ended up LOVING our meal there! I was surprised this place didn't get more love since it was such a nice, peaceful meal, with delishious food, and excellent service!

Jared
06-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Anybody who has bothered to read my ramblings on these boards knows of my love for Kouzzina. Not only do I think it's the most underrated restaurant on Disney property, but I think it's the best non-signature restaurant the resort offers. My only explanation for the negative reviews it receives is that people are put off by Greek and Mediterranean cuisine.

My favorite counter-service location on property is also underrated in my mind: Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion of World Showcase. I'll pass on Restaurant Marrakesh and stick with Tangierine.

Airblue1
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
TUSKER HOUSE!!! All the way!!!

MNNHFLTX
06-17-2012, 03:30 PM
First of is Kona Cafe! We've had breakfast and dinner here and everything was amazing. I think with all the hype (much deserved in my opinion) Ohana's gets, Kona Cafe sort of goes unnoticed.
I agree with this, except I think Ohana is a bit overrated.

My favorite counter-service location on property is also underrated in my mind: Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion of World Showcase. I'll pass on Restaurant Marrakesh and stick with Tangierine.Also agree with this. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 03:31 PM
La Hacienda de San Angel

Was going to try it last year, walked away and went to Nine Dragons instead (another place I could list as underrated, in my opinion)... Maybe I'll give this place a try next time... Maybe LOL...

Kona Cafe, Chefs de France, Grand Floridian Cafe

Kona Cafe!!! I didn't consider this place underrated since the reviews are ALWAYS positive... I admit, I never had dinner there, but breakfast at least once is always a must (TONGA TOAST!!!)... Maybe I'll give dinner a shot, once...

I explained my feeling about Chefs in the overrated thread... I wasn't impressed last time.. felt too generic too me... Maybe it was a bad day for the place???

And Grand Floridian Cafe, never tried it... I'll have to give that one some thought next time...

Kouzzina, Tangierine Cafe, Restaurant Marrakesh

Is there truly that much of a difference between Tangierine and Marrakesh??? i was going to try Marrakesh in October of last year but my friend (who doesn't ever try to be adventurous with food) chickened out... Anything from Tangierine you'd suggest to try???

And glad to find some more love for Kouzzina... Personally, this restaurant is a hidden gem...

TUSKER HOUSE!!! All the way!!!

Tusker House... Hmm, ate breakfast there a few times, but since I am now DVC, I usually eat at my room before going to DAK... And when in DAK I pick Yak n Yeti to eat lunch... But, when I have had breakfast in Tusker, I must admit, I loved it...

Let's hear more of your Underrated dining experience Intercotees...

spoiledraf
06-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is a great place to eat. Nice menu, good food and great staff. And it's not even listed in some of the dining options for the GF. I recommend it!

BrowncatP
06-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I tried Kouzzina. Good Service. The greek lasagna-Yech! I never want cinnamon in my lasagna again. My husband did like whatever he ordered, sorry I don't remember what he ate.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I tried Kouzzina. Good Service. The greek lasagna-Yech! I never want cinnamon in my lasagna again. My husband did like whatever he ordered, sorry I don't remember what he ate.

It's Greek lasagna not Italian lasagna :)

I forgot what one of my friends had ordered, but he really hated it... I know it wasn't the lasagna... Only 2 people ordered it, me and another friend, and we both loved it... I hate when I can't remember what others ordered that they didn't like... AGH!!!!

TinkerbellT421
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I always have thought Big River Grille has a tendency to go unnoticed. I always enjoyed their food and their beer. Funny though because DBF could take it or leave it but I like it lol.

SBETigg
06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Underrated: Grand Floridian Cafe, Kouzzina, Sanaa, Citricos, Flying Fish Cafe, Bistro de Paris.

AgentC
06-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Sanaa. We had a great meal there in April.

DizneyRox
06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Captains Grill - Never hear a peep about it usually, but it was easily our best meal last visit.

ANG
06-17-2012, 08:08 PM
We really enjoy the Maya Grill. It's quiet and the inside is beautiful at night. And the food is very tasty.

mommy2maddi
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Heard some negative feedback about Tony's Town Square in MK. We ate there on our last trip and LOVED the eggplant parmigana. Tiramisu is amazing as well!!! :cloud9:

buzznwoodysmom
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Kona Cafe!!! I didn't consider this place underrated since the reviews are ALWAYS positive... I admit, I never had dinner there, but breakfast at least once is always a must (TONGA TOAST!!!)... Maybe I'll give dinner a shot, once...

And Grand Floridian Cafe, never tried it... I'll have to give that one some thought next time...

I agree Kona always gets positive reviews when you do hear about it, but for the most part, in my opinion, it goes pretty much unnoticed. You don't hear nearly enough about it for how good it is, and to me that's what makes it underrated!

You really should try GFC when you get a chance. Same as with Kona, I rarely hear people talk about this place, but when I do it's almost always positive. A hidden gem right next to MK!!!

buzznwoodysmom
06-17-2012, 10:22 PM
We really enjoy the Maya Grill. It's quiet and the inside is beautiful at night. And the food is very tasty.

Ahh, I had completely forgotten about this place. We had dinner there years ago when we were staying at Coronado and it was such a wonderful surprise! We've never been back, but I have said in the past that if we ever have a hard time finding last minute TS dining we would definitely see if this place is available. Since it's sort of out of the way, and you don't ever hear much about it, I bet it would be easy to get in last minute.

Gator
06-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I really love Teppen Edo! It's an unsung hero in the World Showcase for us. The food is really good, and the dinner "show" is a lot of fun.

Gator
06-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Try BOMA: I know this place already gets decent reviews, but, to me, this place is still underrated... Food was tasty... Over all a great dining experience...
.. :)

Hard for me to agree with you here. All I've read is great reviews, rave reviews even. I went and was expecting something fantastic. It really underperformed for me. I suppose my expectations were too high, but I really didn't care for the food there. It probably belongs in your other post of the "overhyped" for me.

Dulcee
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Not sure if this is underrated but certainly undermentioned, we really enjoy Fulton's Crab House.

azcavalier
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Because of some of the "Sanaa" love here on Intercot, we've got rezzies for it when we go in November. We'll see if we can slot that in for an underrated restaurant.

We used to love Tusker House when it was a counter service....it would have gotten my vote for most underrated counter service in the World, but we thought it was just "OK" as a full table service meal.

I would have to say that Akershus is the most underrated meal. Only one credit on the DDP for a Princess Dinner, you get that great salad bar with meats and cheeses (and shrimp!), and we have always enjoyed the food.

Mickey'sGirl
06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Because of some of the "Sanaa" love here on Intercot, we've got rezzies for it when we go in November. We'll see if we can slot that in for an underrated restaurant.It is very very very good. My epicurian DS14 had the best salmon of his life there last year. The veggie sampler is awesome! :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I would go with 3. I agree with Kona and Sanaa. But we also really love the experiences we've had a Portabello at DTD. The food and service are always very good.

I cannot really include Boma in this conversation, because I think it's almost always rated extremely high - something we agree with!

SBETigg
06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh, just thought of another underrated. Raglan Road. We've always had a great time and excellent food there, decent service, but it goes unnoticed compared to some of the big Disney favorites.

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Big River Grille

Big River Grille... passed by it plenty, never tried it... It is a place I never really hear, or read anyone talking about... Glad you enjoyed it... Another place I'll have to one day check out...

Underrated: Grand Floridian Cafe, Kouzzina, Sanaa, Citricos, Flying Fish Cafe, Bistro de Paris.

Never tried Flying Fish either... Or Citricos... Or Bistro... But I am glad to see Kouzzina and Sanaa getting more love!!!

Sanaa. We had a great meal there in April.

YES!!!! More Sanaa love... I am glad so many people enjoyed it... Someone recommended the place to me and it didn't disappoint... :thumbsup:

Captains Grill -

Sadly, I didn't know it was still open LOL... But yea, never a word about this place either...

Maya Grill

Maya Grill huh??? I stayed at Coronado once and didn't dine there... Did Pepper Market and regretted it...

I agree Kona always gets positive reviews when you do hear about it, but for the most part, in my opinion, it goes pretty much unnoticed. You don't hear nearly enough about it for how good it is, and to me that's what makes it underrated!

You really should try GFC when you get a chance. Same as with Kona, I rarely hear people talk about this place, but when I do it's almost always positive. A hidden gem right next to MK!!!

I never hear anyone talk about GFC... And yea, I guess you are right.. Kona doesn't get the chatter that it should despite being a crowd favorite... The only time I ate at Grand Floridian was 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, and had a miserable time... Not their fault... It was all mine.. How many of the same breakfast can you eat in 1 trip??? It was overkill for me and my friend at that point...

I really love Teppen Edo! It's an unsung hero in the World Showcase for us. The food is really good, and the dinner "show" is a lot of fun.

I do hear good things about Teppen Edo.. Not sure it is my tastes though... Something to consider maybe....

Hard for me to agree with you here. All I've read is great reviews, rave reviews even. I went and was expecting something fantastic. It really underperformed for me. I suppose my expectations were too high, but I really didn't care for the food there. It probably belongs in your other post of the "overhyped" for me.

Possible your expectations were too high... But, then again, everyone is different... Just like I liked Paradiso 37 btu a friend of mine hated the place...

Fulton's Crab House.

I don't think Fulton's gets enough word of mouth... With that said, I also think they are way too pricey for the amount of food you get... But, the food is good...

Because of some of the "Sanaa" love here on Intercot, we've got rezzies for it when we go in November. We'll see if we can slot that in for an underrated restaurant.

We used to love Tusker House when it was a counter service....it would have gotten my vote for most underrated counter service in the World, but we thought it was just "OK" as a full table service meal.

I would have to say that Akershus is the most underrated meal. Only one credit on the DDP for a Princess Dinner, you get that great salad bar with meats and cheeses (and shrimp!), and we have always enjoyed the food.

Hope you like Sanaa... Glad you are giving it a chance...

Akershus dinner??? Never been... try to avoid princess meals LOL.. Though, I did eat there once, long story as to why... I'll leave that story for another thread... I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of it...

Portabello

Portobello... I agree about the service... I wasn''t crazy about the food though... But it has been a while since I ate there... I'm sure things have changed for the better...

Raglan Road

How did I forget Raglan Road?? Yes, Raglan Road is one of my favorites... Glad you mentioned it... RR is truly underrated...

jonahbear2006
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I personally did not like Kona Cafe- I was hoping it was under-rated....but I am a huge fan of Ohana. I dont think Ohana is over-rated but I think that it is easily loved by families because of the wide variety of foods and the entertainment involved.

I think Akershus is highly under-rated, along with Grand Floridian Cafe. We always stop in for 'The grand sandwich' on our last day of the trip. The prices are great, food is excellent, and the management is some of the best in 'the world.'

SBETigg
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I personally did not like Kona Cafe- I was hoping it was under-rated....but I am a huge fan of Ohana. I dont think Ohana is over-rated but I think that it is easily loved by families because of the wide variety of foods and the entertainment involved.

I think Akershus is highly under-rated, along with Grand Floridian Cafe. We always stop in for 'The grand sandwich' on our last day of the trip. The prices are great, food is excellent, and the management is some of the best in 'the world.'

I love Grand Floridian Cafe, and I also agree on Kona (which is why it made my overrated list).

Jared
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Raglan Road -- great call, Sherri. Love that place.

TinkerbellT421
06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Big River Grille... passed by it plenty, never tried it... It is a place I never really hear, or read anyone talking about... Glad you enjoyed it... Another place I'll have to one day check

I enjoyed it. I also think it depends on what you like. Like I said DBF could careless about it. But I think it's definitely worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Let me know what you think if you ever try it. They have really good beer there, brewed themselves. They have a sampler tray. My favorite was something with the word red in the name. I'm drawing a complete blank....hate when that happens lol

TinkerbellT421
06-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Oh, just thought of another underrated. Raglan Road. We've always had a great time and excellent food there, decent service, but it goes unnoticed compared to some of the big Disney favorites.

Me too! how did I forget about that one?! love it!

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2012, 06:54 PM
OK, I promised an Akershus story, so here it is...

So I used to work with this girl, I should say woman, whose daughter LOVED Aurora... Well, this female whom I worked with asked me if I could look out for something for her for her two kids (a son who was a mere wee toddler at the time, and her daughter who was approaching 7 years old)... She wanted me to see if Toy Story was being sold on DVD (it wasn't at the time but sometimes it is amazing what friends can find in Disney storage LOL) and anything with Aurora mostly her autograph... I told her, no problem.. I'll see what I could do...

Well, like I said, it is amazing what friends can dig out of Disney storage as an unopened Toy Story DVD was laying around... Apparently someone forgot to ship it back to the warehouse (I am assuming here).... So, I was able to buy it... And cheap too

Now, the quest for Aurora's signature began... See, what I did was, without the daughter or my friend from work knowing, I managed to get a nicely done computer generated image of Sleeping Beauty printed out (again, knowing the right people helps, what they can do with a professional printer and professional photo/graphic programs)... Looks like a professionally done head shot...

I just had to find Aurora... I brought the picture with me to MK one day but nothing... I had two days left and didn't know what to do... One of my CM friends who is a friend to Pluto said she would see what she could do for me, but she wasn't able to come through, sadly (a personal visit from one of Aurora's nearest and dearest friends is what my friend was trying)... So, I did what any single man, with no kids, and no girlfriend and on vacation with another male friend would do... Yep, book breakfast at Akershus, just for the autograph...

Imagine the funny looks I received from the male CM who seated us... Yea, I felt a weeeeeee bit uncomfortable... I even sank into my chair LOL... So anyway, here I am, or here we are, two adult males at a princess breakfast... I am sure there were plenty of weird looks being flashed out way... I tried to ignore everyone around me...

So, the food starts coming out, your typical Disney family style breakfast... And NO PRINCESSES... Now, not only am I embarrassed to all high in the sky stars, but I'm also getting worried... Worried that I sat there for nothing...

Then, Belle comes into the room and makes her way to our table... And greets us like there is nothing wrong with two adult men at a princess breakfast... Belle was a sweetheart... She knew i was feeling funny and totally made the most of it... She told me not to care because I was at Disney, where two grown men can have a princess breakfast... Yea, she probably disappeared to the break room saying something completely different...

I call my friend at work, tell her what I was doing... I made her swear NEVER to tell anyone... And if it were for her daughter, I wouldn't be doing this... Then, Jasmine appears at the table and proceeds to take my phone from me and starts talking to my co-worker.. I'm now feeling much more loose and laughing at the fact that Jasmine is talking on my cell... She hung up and joked around, posed for a picture and was gone..

But, my nerves started again... Mulan was next... WHERE IS AURORA??? We were darn near finished eating... And finally...

The long blond hair, the pink dress... there she is... I felt relived... She made her way to my table and began a little convo... I took out the picture and asked her to sign it to my friend's daughter... Aurora was in awe of the picture and asked where I got it... When I told her I made it, she was even more impressed... She signed it PRINCESS DANIELLE (the daughter's name) and wrote about hoping all her wishes come true.. Then signed PRINCESS AURORA, or maybe just AURORA, I don't remember...

My quest had been completed... And I felt soooooo much better... Aurora thought what i was doing was sweet and really going out of my way to make a little girl happy... I don't know if she broke character or not... But I thought that was awesome of her to say... And I really thought the way she handled the whole thing was truly spectacular... just wish I had it on tape (or maybe not, NO EVIDENCE, I WILL SWEAR I WAS NEVER THERE, even with this post)...

I get home, and the next day I bring the picture to work... My friend was stunned... Totally blown away by the picture and the, as she put it, trouble I went through to get the autograph... But, it was worth it.. her daughter LOVED it... So much so that she had it framed and hung over her daughter's bed...

P.S. Later that night I did manage to hang out with someone very close to Belle, thanks to my friend... I was told they see single men, sometimes alone, dining at princess meals all the time and making sure they get their pictures taken with them.. I didn't feel so silly after being told that...

So, there ya go... My Akershus story... Now, go ahead with the teasing... :D

BriarRose0708
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
First of is Kona Cafe!

Chefs de France was a place I hadn't heard much about. We booked it to try something new in Epcot and it was one of the best meals of that particular trip.

We also stumbled upon Grand Floridian Cafe on one trip.
I am a big fan of Kona Cafe as well and you're right, the 'Ohana check in line is always long but I've never waited to be seated at Kona. And the food has never let me down!

I am trying Chef's and GFlo Cafe for the first time on my next trip, specifically because they seem like really well kept secrets and I've never been to either before.

My favorite counter-service location on property is also underrated in my mind: Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion of World Showcase. I'll pass on Restaurant Marrakesh and stick with Tangierine.

YES! On a whim I went there because I needed a quick dinner before Illuminations. My sister was holding our bench and it was the closest counter service to us. I got the lamb wrap and was so blown away!

For me a very underrated place is the bakery in Norway. Everyone goes there for School Bread, which is very tasty, but there are delicious grilled sandwiches in there too. It's usually very quick since not a lot of people know about it, and the food is filling and a bit healthier than other counter service options.

Gator
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM

I'm gonna have to take a look at your man card.

Really, though, that's a funny story. I can't imagine the humiliation when they weren't in the room yet. "Hey, babe, check out those two pervs over in the corner, waiting for a glimpse of Jasmine." Just fantastic.

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm gonna have to take a look at your man card.

Really, though, that's a funny story. I can't imagine the humiliation when they weren't in the room yet. "Hey, babe, check out those two pervs over in the corner, waiting for a glimpse of Jasmine." Just fantastic.

LOL... I may have just been paranoid... But I felt like all eyes were on us... But hey, my effort got me a free lunch...

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
#1 Yak and Yeti- Biggest surprise of the 2011 trip. Our server was tremendous, food was amazing and exceeded everyone's expectations, their egg rolls were so good, and the ambiance of the place is breathtaking. Their ribs also made it so that we will not miss a chance to dine here this year.

#2 Sanaa- Nothing like getting away from the standard and repetitive food choices at WDW and really trying somehting new. We loved the atmosphere of the restaurant, quiet and really enjoyed watching the wildlife out the window. Food was stellar and just spicy enough. Biggest surprise of 2010. I just wish it was easier to get to. LOL.

#3 ESPN Club- Being a Notre Dame fan, I love the college football experience on Saturdays in September. I think that the wait staff are so accomodating and seat you next to fans of the same team that you follow. I love the "bar food" selections and think that they are prepared perfectly and and served by some pretty animated and fun wait staff. Love watching all those games at once...just don't go during an LSU vs. Florida/ Alabama game. Gets loud (but I thought that added to the fun of the restaurant once one of these teams scored as there is always a heavy following for each of these teams).

Akershus Princess Luncheon gets honorable mention. I can't recall what I had and it didn't really stick out to me as being the "best meal ever" but I thought that it was a pleasant surprise and my family really enjoyed our time here. Great interactions with the characters and I love the fact that you have the "cold selections" before the entree'.

disneynarula
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Saana!
Olivia's Cafe!

SandmanGStefani24
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Boulangerie Patisserie gets passed by so many and few stop to see what's inside. It may be simple, basic or maybe just a snack, but the simple and basic things are sometimes best. I recommend stopping by for a ham and cheese croissant and take a moment to stop and enjoy while people watching. :cloud9:

Tangerine Cafe also gets passed over for Morocco's TS restaurant quite a bit. I loved this place! The food was excellent, and it was also another great place to sit and relax over food for a bit. Highly recommended!

AgentC
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM

No teasing needed. That was tremendously sweet. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I enjoyed it. I also think it depends on what you like. Like I said DBF could careless about it. But I think it's definitely worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Let me know what you think if you ever try it. They have really good beer there, brewed themselves. They have a sampler tray. My favorite was something with the word red in the name. I'm drawing a complete blank....hate when that happens lol

I've had others tell me Big River was good too... Keeping it as a possible option for next time...

#1 Yak and Yeti, #2 Sanaa, #3 ESPN Club, Akershus Princess Luncheon

Yak N yeti is pretty good... I also wonder if it is a product of the park not having many dining options... And I agree about Sanaa, LOVED IT... not too spicy like you said.. And as long as you can get a table there, the savannah view is fantastic... ESPN is a good place for a nice quick and inexpensive lunch or dinner though I avoid the place when there are major sporting events going on...

Saana!
Olivia's Cafe!

Need more information about Olivia's... Never tried it...

Boulangerie Patisserie Tangerine Cafe

Boulangerie Patisserie has never even registered on my radar... Need to keep it in mind..

No teasing needed. That was tremendously sweet. :thumbsup:

Like I said, it was only because my friend in work asked if I could try..... Didn't take me out of my way.. I was in WDW already LOL... I wouldn't have eaten there though if I wasn't determined to get that autograph for her daughter...

HackLaSalle
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I can bring a whole lot more to the table for underrated.

The OP briefly brought it up but I don't think Nine Dragons gets nearly enough credit. Listen it is still Americanized chinese food. But it's better than PF Changs and most local hole in the wall places I've experienced. It's a pretty good deal money wise as well.

I will also throw my vote into the Fulton's as underrated lot. YES, it is expensive. But in my mind it is some delicious seafood that no one EVER talks about. I'd rather pay a little more here then have the Cape May buffet.

The Wave at the Contemporary is my favorite restaurant in WDW hands down. No one is EVER talking about it. It's fresh sustainable food. It's delicious, it's creative and it has the best coffee (until Starbucks gets here) on property. Plus the unique desserts are what you always want in a dessert a little bit of everything.

Trail's End for lunch and dinner. I don't know if they still do buffet or not but when I stayed at FW I ate here for both lunch and dinner multiple times. There is something for everyone and it has the good old down home feel to it. Plus if you have kids there is an arcade right there. I really enjoyed my meals there. I felt it was a step above regular buffet fare.

If you want to do counter services/carts or whatever I'm game and have a bunch there too.

darthmacho
06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm a few days late to the conversation, but this seems like an enduring thread.

I think the following are very underrated restaurants:

San Angel Inn
Nine Dragons
Marrakesh
Yak and Yeti
Boma
Boatwright's
Maya Grill

Those last two are almost hidden gems!

ImagiAsh
06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Raglan Road -- incredibly fun atmosphere, wonderful service, and great food (starting with the bread and dip they bring out)! :mickey:

laprana
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM

No teasing from me! :mickey: That's one of the best, sweetest stories I've heard in a long time! :thumbsup: Kudos to you for the effort you put into making that little girl so happy!

Back to the main topic...I agree with a lot of the restaurants that have been mentioned already, especially Captain's Grille, Maya Grill, and the Wave. Have eaten at all 3 multiple times and have never had a bad meal at any of them! In fact, Captain's Grille and the Wave were 2 of our best meals on our most recent trip! :thumbsup:

fanofdisney
06-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Oh I am so excited to hear good things about Captain's Grille. We are eating there in July.

To answer the question I would say

Akershus either the lunch or breakfast. We have been to both. My daughter still loves to see the princesses and this will probably be her last year but hey you never know. I was hoping she would pick Akershus but asked to go to CRT, she really wanted the castle. I think the character interaction and food is so much better at Akershus but it's that darn castle! Someone already mentioned in the other thread they know they have you with the castle they don't need to do anything else.

Teppan Edo we love hibachi and when we have been there they have done a great job and the food was very good.

Garden Grill we have had great character interaction here and our food has been great. It's funny we suggested some friends go there and they thought the food was horrible. Maybe it was a bad day? I hope it is still good we will be eating there in July too.

Kairi_7378
06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Glad to read so many positive things about the Grand Floridian Cafe. We have an ADR there for our next trip and I am a little nervous because there is not a lot of chatter about it on the boards (or elsewhere). We also have ADR's at Kouzzina. I couldn't get my husband to try Raglan Road this time around because he doesn't want to go to DTD but it is on my list of places to try.

I would recommend the Tangerine Cafe- especially the shwarma platters!

RedSoxFan
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree: Ragland Road, Kona Cafe, Grand Floridian Cafe and Captains Grille are excellent. DD15 prefers Captains Grille to LeCellier. And I have ADR's for all of them (including LeCellier). However, I'm not sure I will keep LeCellier.