PDA

View Full Version : I wish they would add more baby/toddler friendly areas.

AmandaChan
06-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Now being a parent and having the experience of taking a 13 month old to WDW, I never realized before how LITTLE space there is for a baby to just stretch out their feet.... I know there used to be the little Winnie the Pooh area that they tore down, but I'm sure kids loved that area..

I just wish they had more areas in each park that a toddler could run around at, with an age limit that bigger kids can't really get into. Like when the group goes and rides something the baby can't, give them somewhere to spend some time!! one of my favorite memories was letting my son walk around the grassy area in DTD by the little shops near Cirque and he had his first steps, and when we let him run around in the Japan pavilion around the bench outside the shop. Anyone else think they could use some more space for babies and young toddlers to stretch their legs (without getting trampled on)???

buzznwoodysmom
06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't remember ever having issues with places for my kids to run free when they were little.

I know in MK we'd often bring them to Tom Sawyer Island to run off some steam. They have always loved that area of the park, and at 10 and 12 they still ask to visit it on every trip! There is also a small play area outside Splash Mountain for the little ones to play on while the rest of the group is on Splash. Big Thunder is close enough to stay there with the little ones. My kids did play in the Winnie the Pooh play area, and I'm sure many parents of young ones are sad to see that option gone.

In Epcot we were always able to find some places in the back of the countries in WS for them to run and play. At night I'd bring them to the light up cement area near Innoventions while the rest of the group road stuff they weren't tall enough for yet. We still pass by that area on each trip too!

At AK, they loved the Dino play area, but I get what your saying about older kids. My kids still love to run and play in that area and I have to constantly remind them to be mindful of the little kids. My kids, for the most part, are great about that, but I've seen kids unsupervised and running over everyone, toddlers included. I did find the dig site part of that playground was always quieter. And there's usually lots of room to roam along the various trails.

DHS has the HISTK playground, but again with the older kids.

I hope there is something in my list of places that you hadn't thought about that will make your future trips with your little ones more pleasant! And remember there's always the playgrounds at the resorts that are almost always empty! A break back to the resort for a swim and nap, can also include some playground time!

BrerGnat
06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I agree with you. The Winnie the Pooh area was great, as was the playground in Toontown. Sad that both of those are now gone.

Luckily, kids grow up fast. My kids are way past the point of needing a playground, although I think they could use more of those at the RESORTS!

gerald72
06-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I think one of the best parts of Disney World is that there are many areas that everyone can enjoy as a family. I don't think they should have toddler-only areas, or areas segregated to anyone.

Kenny1113
06-16-2012, 07:24 PM
An area that I used to love to take the kids for a break (not a playground) was the area in the back of the Kodak gallery (I believe). It had AC few people knew of it and my on used to love to run around taking pictures in the cutouts while younger DS napped in his stroller. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2012, 08:29 PM
You can always let your toddler run around in recirculated water at Casey Junior in Storybook Circus...

AgentC
06-17-2012, 12:47 AM
I agree too but mys kids are 4 and 6 so I might be biased. :)

It can be tough especially in Magic Kingdom. My kids (and me) really miss the Winnie the Pooh playground.

We do use the playgrounds but it was hard keeping an eye on a little one with all the bigger kids. Both playgrounds do have areas that are more geared to smaller kids , so I always tried to keep mine to those areas if I could and the dig site was always great too.

My kids like the maze and gardens at the United Kingdom. They also really enjoy the playgrounds that are put up during the Flower and Garden show. It would be nice if they kept them up year round. They are out of the way and for different age groups which is great.

BrerGnat
06-17-2012, 08:16 AM
My kids like the maze and gardens at the United Kingdom. They also really enjoy the playgrounds that are put up during the Flower and Garden show. It would be nice if they kept them up year round. They are out of the way and for different age groups which is great.

Our kids LOVED the maze on our last trip! However, it's only really a place you can let your kids run around in the early morning or late evening, when there are no shows going on.

I also think the Flower and Garden festival playground was great, and don't understand why it can't be a permanent addition.

I have head that the new Dumbo interactive queue is REALLY just a playground for the under 6 set. Parents are left to wait on benches, holding the pager. Doesn't sound like "family fun" to me. But, I bet the kids will love it.

The Dig Site and Honey I shrunk the Kids playgrounds are great, but they really are geared to older kids.

AgentC
06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I also think the Flower and Garden festival playground was great, and don't understand why it can't be a permanent addition.

I have head that the new Dumbo interactive queue is REALLY just a playground for the under 6 set. Parents are left to wait on benches, holding the pager. Doesn't sound like "family fun" to me. But, I bet the kids will love it.

I've seen some pictures of the Highland Games at Epcot for Brave and they have the same playground up that they had for F&G. I would think it would be easy to just keep it up.

We are going back at the beginning of July. I'll try to check the games and Dumbo out (if open) and report back.

ANG
06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
I can partly agree.

I wish there were more gated off places for my kids to play. Like so I can stay in one spot on a bench for a second and let them play, watching them the entire time but not hoovering on top of them, KWIM? Our oldest is special needs and he doesn't understand that he needs to stay near us. He bolts away even on playgrounds at home.

BrerGnat
06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I can partly agree.

I wish there were more gated off places for my kids to play. Like so I can stay in one spot on a bench for a second and let them play, watching them the entire time but not hoovering on top of them, KWIM? Our oldest is special needs and he doesn't understand that he needs to stay near us. He bolts away even on playgrounds at home.

I understand this point of view. Both my boys are on the Autism Spectrum, and although they don't run away, they do always go in different directions and the little one likes to get himself into dangerous situations. ;)

This is why I loved Goofy's House/Playground at DIsneyland's ToonTown. We spent MANY hours there, and I loved that there was only one small entrance, surrounded by multiple benches, but a big safe area for kids to play and explore. The two areas at MK that were similar are now gone, so I feel for parents of little ones now.

The Boneyard is set up similarly (one way in/out) but it's SO huge and you have to either just let the kids go and trust them, or follow them all around. I chose to let them go, and the little one was a bit timid and kept running back to where I was, so I didn't worry too much about it.

The worst is the HISTK playground at DHS. That one is so confusing, and DH and I felt we had to follow them around that one.

Aurora
06-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Having raised three kids past the toddler age and taken them on many trips to WDW at various ages, my experience has been that the little tykes don't really NEED an area just for them. Since all the world's a playground, you just have to find the off-the-beaten-track places for them.

Here are some suggestions:

MK: The Winnie the Pooh interactive queue (if you want to stay longer, just let others go ahead of you in line); Tom Sawyer's Island; the long boardwalk bridge between Liberty Square and Frontierland; the rose garden between the castle and Main Street; the open area to the left of the Pirates of the Caribbean building.

Epcot: Many of the countries in World Showcase have nooks that are nice for little ones to stretch their legs -- some examples: The paths around the lily pond in China, the gardens in United Kingdom and France, the path to the waterfall in Canada, etc. In FutureWorld, there's an interactive play fountain between Innoventions and Mission: Space that's fun for the kids.

DHS: I have some wonderful videos of my then 14-month-old DD toddling around the celebrity handprints in front of the Great Movie Ride. All kids like putting their hands and feet in the impressions to see how they compare. Of course there's the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area in this park (I have to say that even though there are children of many ages in there, I have never had a problem with my kids getting knocked over by bigger ones).

AK: Paths and paths to stroll around in, the paths in and around the Tree of Life, bridges, and even the lower-level patio of the Flame Tree Restaurant is a good place for a toddler to look out at the water and possibly watch the ducks.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I also agree with the age limit part of the OP's comment. Its great to let the little ones run, but when you are constantly worried about your child being run over by older kids, its not longer fun. Tom Sawyers island is a great place for older kids, but definitely not the little ones to just be themselves