PDA

View Full Version : You don't use it, you lose it . . .

Janmac
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
My niece's daughter has been asking for meatloaf. She saw it on some tv show - maybe Johnny Test. Despite everyone's telling her how bad grandma's or some relative's meatloaf was, she wants meatloaf.

Years (decades?) ago I used to make a pretty good meatloaf. According to folks who had to eat it (this is before my niece was born).

Of course, now, I have no idea what my meatloaf recipe was. I do know I experimented a LOT with it, til I got a good tasting, moist meatloaf that even I didn't mind eating. I'm fairly certain I did not use ketchup or bread/cracker crumbs. Or pork sausage. But beyond that, I'm drawing a blank.

It did occur to me that if I made some dry yucky tasting meatloaf, I wouldn't ever have to make it again, right? :D

Jan

Wolf
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
I've worked at a Cracker Barrel for 6 years, now part time cause I have a govt contractor job as my main now, but they have wonderful meatloaf! They also have a lunch portion that would be good to let a youngin try it, that way you wouldn't have to cook it. My Mom is the best cook ever in my opinion but when she cooks meatloaf I make a point to eat a big lunch, its not her strong point lol

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I hate meatloaf. Really, I just despise it! But, DH and DD like it, so we finally found one that even I would eat (and actually enjoy).

It is from the "Looney Spoons" series of cookbooks:

Makes: 8 servings

1/4 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder

3/4 pound skinless ground chicken or turkey

3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef

1 cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs

1/2 cup peeled, grated sweet potato or carrots

1/2 cup unpeeled, grated zucchini

1/2 cup minced onions

1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley

1/4 cup milk (1% or 2%)

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon each dried sage and salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine first 3 Ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Using your hands, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Pat mixture Into a 9 x 5-Inch loaf pan. Spread ketchup mixture evenly over loaf.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until meat is browned and juices run clear.

Pour off liquid in bottom of pan and remove loaf. Slice into 8 pieces and serve immediately.

DVC2004
06-14-2012, 04:39 PM
My kids like it alot too, I can't understand for the life of me why because it is a hated meal from my childhood. Make sure you cover in in foil when you bake it so it steams, and you can take the foil off the last ten minutes if you want. Mine seemed to come out more tender/moist etc when I did that. Although it didn't look as pretty.

I use ground beef and sometimes a beef/pork blend, the McCormick's meatloaf seasoning in the packet and then ketchup, milk, whisked egg, panko breadcrumbs (also from a box), and then I also mix in grated parmeasan cheese. That seems to make the mix more airy. And then a splash of worscetshire sauce (sp?), salt and pepper (just a bit because the McCormick seasoning is salty enough), and some red pepper flakes, also a clove of finely chopped garlic. I don't get it but the kids love it and ask for it.

I pretty much follow the recipe on the back of the McCormick packet but I add in the cheese, garlic, panko style bread crumbs and the worcestshire (sp?) sauce. When I take it out of the oven, I pour off the grease in the sink then let it sit about 10 minutes undisturbed so it doesn't fall apart when I try to cut it. Once, I lost the whole loaf down the garbage disposal while I was draining off the grease, it fell out and fell apart. It was a total loss. Now we call it "Sink Loaf" ever since.

MNNHFLTX
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Lol--why does meatloaf have such a bad reputation?? I think I make pretty good meatloaf myself, at least that's what my husband and son tell me. I like to vary the recipe here and there--make an Italian meatloaf, Southwestern meatloaf, etc.

For those that truly dislike meatloaf you should try it at Wolfgang Puck's in Downtown Disney. It might make a convert out of you! :tasty:

buzznwoodysmom
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Wow, I never knew there were so many people out there that hated meatloaf. My hubby, as well as both my sons love meatloaf. We don't have it very often, but they'll sometimes even ask for it!

Maleficent_vf
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I was always a meatloaf hater, but I love Alton Brown's recipe. Its got some chopped up veggies and crushed garlic croutons in it that really help with flavor and moisture and a good ketchup based glaze. The only thing is ours is never done in the cooking time he indicates, so we always go by internal temp. We also use whatever combination of ground beef we can get as opposed to his blend (that he recommends you grind yourself).

Kenny1113
06-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Alton brown has a great meatloaf recipe!!!!!

brad192
06-14-2012, 09:01 PM
My mom had an awesome meatloaf recipie which, unfortunately, she never wrote down. I've been trying to recreate that wonderful dish for 3 decades & can never get it right. I'd pay big money for a giant hunk of her meatloaf right now - just thinking about it makes my mouth water. :tasty:

Oh, and a big shout out to Darthmacho & his "Flight of Meatloaf" featured on Intercot & the Intercot podcast! :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Gosh, I didn't realize that so many people don't like meatloaf. I agree with previous posters that Cracker Barrel and Wolfgang Punk's have very good meatloaf. My grandmother who was a wonderful cook made the world's worst meatloaf, she used either dry oatmeal or saltine crackers that were only slightly broken up. :ack: Both of those had huge fat deposits as you ate them. :ack:
For years I had trouble getting my meatloaf to come out good every time. Finally used the Lipton onion soup receipe from the box and have found it works well. I really love cold meatloaf for sandwiches the next day so I use very lean ground beef so I don't get a fatty taste to it.

minnie04
06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Wow! so many intense recipes out there. I wasn’t raised on Meat loaf, but I do like it. I like it very simple. My kids will eat it if it doesn’t have a lot of stuff in it. I just use the old standby that I knew as a kid. That was ground beef, ketchup, egg & Lipton onion soup mix, mix it all up and bake at 350 for about an hour (maybe less) add some mashed potato's and wha la :thumbsup:

Janmac
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Okay, so I made meatloaf yesterday. Came out good enough that even my super foodie granddaughter liked it. But not my niece's daughter. Wasn't up to her standards.

Come to find out, she had - unbeknownst to me which is weird 'cause I was there even - meatloat at the Biergarten in Epcot a couple months ago, and loved it. I don't know where I was (probably into the beer flight).

Anyway, my meatloaf didn't pass muster. :D

Jan

TheDuckRocks
06-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Boy, now I'm confused! I don't remember any meatloaf at the Biergarten. So I went over to that other site and no meatloaf was listed on the menu. The only thing close that was listed were meat patties with red wine sauce. Could that have been what she had?

Dulcee
06-16-2012, 07:11 AM
I hate meatloaf. One of the few meals of my mother's I wouldn't eat growing up.

Anyway, my fiance is constantly asking for it. I finally made a turkey/pork meatloaf a few weeks ago. I have a meat grinder so I did my own blend and ground in green peppers, onions, lots of garlic, cilantro and half jalapeno. And then I used finely processed tortilla chips in place of breadcrumbs.

Still not a huge fan, but the flavor was good.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a great Cheesy Meatloaf that I make that my entire family LOVES. It is good and moist and not a dried out bread based lump of meat.

Janmac
06-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Boy, now I'm confused! I don't remember any meatloaf at the Biergarten. So I went over to that other site and no meatloaf was listed on the menu. The only thing close that was listed were meat patties with red wine sauce. Could that have been what she had?

I know, I couldn't remember any meatloaf at Biergarten either. My niece says that she and a cousin who was there with us discussed the meatloaf. I didn't hear that conversation, so I'm going to ask my cousin.

There is a recipe on the internet for German meatloaf, which has whole hardboiled eggs layered in the meatloaf.

Odd.

Jan

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
I know, I couldn't remember any meatloaf at Biergarten either. My niece says that she and a cousin who was there with us discussed the meatloaf. I didn't hear that conversation, so I'm going to ask my cousin.

There is a recipe on the internet for German meatloaf, which has whole hardboiled eggs layered in the meatloaf.

Odd.

Jan

Was there last night - there is a "German Meatloaf" at the Biergarten. It is a MEAT loaf - not in the sense that we think of meatloaf but think more of pink meat pressed into a loaf shape. Like a hot dog without the casing.

It was on the carving board with the roasted pork.

Janmac
06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Katherine! Good to know! :thumbsup:

Love your signature - once upon a time I was a short round strawberry blond. Now most of the strawberry is replaced with white. And even the grandkids aren't going to see 17 anymore. :D

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Jan

Disney Doll
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
We enjoy the meatloaf recipe from Jamie Oliver. Just google Jamie Oliver Pot Roast Meatloaf and the recipe is online.

BriarRose0708
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
My mom didn't make meatloaf as often as she made salmon loaf (with a white sauce, so yummy!) but being from an Italian American family her meatloaf is basically one big meatball. Tyler Florence from Food Network has a good recipe that involves soaking slices of bread in milk, which makes the meatloaf super moist.