PDA

View Full Version : Pushy, Pushy!

DVC2004
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Just had to share, over the weekend I stopped in local specialty kitchen/cookware store. I planned on purchasing some inexpensive items for grilling so no big deal. When I got there I remembered I saw on their website a special sale price on a really nice professional grade knife (for the kitchen). It was on sale for about $99 and was usually over $200, some Father's Day special. I wasn't sure if I wanted it, but I wanted to see the actual size. I have been looking to add a good quality knife for a while now because I love to cook, but I haven't been in a hurry- looking for a good deal. One of those things.

Anyway, the sales lady was beyond agressive and pushy. It was such a turn off. She jumped on us as soon as we walked in and then proceeded to follow us around the ENTIRE time. I picked up another sale knife, and after she saw that it was over. She literally stood in front of me and blocked me from moving. I decided to ask about the knife I was interested in, and it was this whole thing of they didn't have any left, etc and next thing I know she is pulling out a $1300 knife set! I told her, sorry I am not looking for a set or to spend that much. She disappeared in the back and returned with the knife she had earlier said they didn't have, but continued to talk up the set. I told her at least 3 times no, my husband stepped in and said the same thing.

Final issue was while I was checking out, her and the store manager were having a loud conversation right beside me (but with their backs to me) about me not buying and did she push the store crecit card!

WOW, do people really think that this is how you get customers and makes sales? I won't be back. It was just over the top. I'm in sales myself, not retail, but sheesh that was just wayyy too pushy. I'm so turned off to that place it will be a while before I go back, if I do at all.

Do you guys have any pushy sales people stories? Please share! :thedolls:

CajunDisneyDad
06-11-2012, 05:42 PM
My favorites are the sales people who sale from those carts in the middle of the mall. They call out to you, and in some cases try to impede your forward motion. you try to ignore them and they seem to try harder. Finally I end up yelling at them and telling them I DONT WANT YOUR STUPID HAIR IRON OR YOUR SMELLY LOTIONS!!! ARRRGGHHHH!!!

SBETigg
06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that I have been that pushy salesperson. I worked at the Gap briefly when my son was little, mostly just for something to do to get out of the house, and for the employee discount. At the Gap, we didn't work on commission, but we were monitored for sales through our employee sales number, and it was bad news for the employee who didn't live up to their sales percentage quota on a weekly basis. I didn't have many hours, so I was fairly desperate one night after a few weeks of a low sales period. A guy was looking at an expensive jacket, and I told him that it looked really great on him, and then I apparently went overboard and tried too hard. He said something like "wow, you must really need the commission." And that's when I knew I did not need the discount or the occasional night out badly enough to stay in retail. I'm not a salesperson. I gave my notice that night.

DVC2004
06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that I have been that pushy salesperson. I worked at the Gap briefly when my son was little, mostly just for something to do to get out of the house, and for the employee discount. At the Gap, we didn't work on commission, but we were monitored for sales through our employee sales number, and it was bad news for the employee who didn't live up to their sales percentage quota on a weekly basis. I didn't have many hours, so I was fairly desperate one night after a few weeks of a low sales period. A guy was looking at an expensive jacket, and I told him that it looked really great on him, and then I apparently went overboard and tried too hard. He said something like "wow, you must really need the commission." And that's when I knew I did not need the discount or the occasional night out badly enough to stay in retail. I'm not a salesperson. I gave my notice that night.

Your story doesn't sound too bad though! I know when someone is trying to sell- I get it. I've had several commission based jobs. I'm sure eeveryone in sales has a story where they went a little too far.

DVC2004
06-11-2012, 05:53 PM
My favorites are the sales people who sale from those carts in the middle of the mall. They call out to you, and in some cases try to impede your forward motion. you try to ignore them and they seem to try harder. Finally I end up yelling at them and telling them I DONT WANT YOUR STUPID HAIR IRON OR YOUR SMELLY LOTIONS!!! ARRRGGHHHH!!!

Oh yeah they are so bad!!!

SBETigg
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Your story doesn't sound too bad though! I know when someone is trying to sell- I get it. I've had several commission based jobs. I'm sure eeveryone in sales has a story where they went a little too far.

Thanks. I feel better. :cool:

As a customer, pushy salespeople do push me away instead of making me want to buy. I've sat through some hard-sell presentations that made me want to run screaming, but one-on-one in the store with a pushy salesperson, and pushing the store card at you, that is probably the worst. I hate the store card push. And the fact that you can get a big discount if you take the store card is tempting, but not worth carrying the extra credit cards overall. I had a much harder time saying no when I was younger, but now it comes easily.

buzznwoodysmom
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Oh my, you must be talking about the Mall of Acadiana!!! They literally run after you sometimes. I've had great luck with keep on walking and saying "I'm in a hurry, sorry". I don't go to the mall very often, thank goodness, but I see "those people" every time I'm there without fail.

When I was a teenager and shopped at the mall often, I remember there was one store that always made me uncomfortable when I went in. I don't recall the name of it, but they got you right as you walked in and practically followed you around the store. I hated it and eventually began to just avoid the store altogether. It didn't stick around long.......

MissMaryPoppins
06-12-2012, 01:18 AM
My first Christmas out of college I was making good money and I could afford to buy my parents and brother nice gifts so I was really looking forward to shopping. One day just before Christmas I went to Nordstrom to get my Mom a Kate Spade bag. As soon as I reached the handbag department this salesgirl jumped on me. She followed me around and told me the brand and price of every single bag I touched. She was driving me nuts so I walked out and went to Starbucks. After my latte I went back, hid behind some racks and when I was sure she wasn't around I went back to the counter and was helped by a very helpful, friendly girl.

Someone earlier mentioned the people working those carts at malls and how pushy they can be. I was once passing a cart that sold nail care kits and the guy working the cart jumped in front of me and grabbed my free hand. He looked down at my very short nails and asked me if they were real. I looked up at him and said "no, my real nails are long, and fire engine red. These are just tips." He dropped my hand and just stared at me like he was trying to think of a comeback.I walked away before he thought of one.

DizNee143
06-12-2012, 08:16 AM
My first Christmas out of college I was making good money and I could afford to buy my parents and brother nice gifts so I was really looking forward to shopping. One day just before Christmas I went to Nordstrom to get my Mom a Kate Spade bag. As soon as I reached the handbag department this salesgirl jumped on me. She followed me around and told me the brand and price of every single bag I touched. She was driving me nuts so I walked out and went to Starbucks. After my latte I went back, hid behind some racks and when I was sure she wasn't around I went back to the counter and was helped by a very helpful, friendly girl.

Someone earlier mentioned the people working those carts at malls and how pushy they can be. I was once passing a cart that sold nail care kits and the guy working the cart jumped in front of me and grabbed my free hand. He looked down at my very short nails and asked me if they were real. I looked up at him and said "no, my real nails are long, and fire engine red. These are just tips." He dropped my hand and just stared at me like he was trying to think of a comeback.I walked away before he thought of one.

Ugh..Nordstroms is the worse..they "babysit" you and won't leave you alone! They are so annoying there..at least at the one in my mall!

The best with those carts is they always walk towards me and say "can I ask you a question?" and I always tell them "you just did, sorry"

lettripp
06-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I know exactly what you mean. A good friend and I visited a store that sells lotions and bath items once because she had a Groupon and a birthday credit for the place. She, like many others, did not want to exceed the spending allotted with her discount. We made this very clear to the saleswoman, but she stayed with us the entire time, insisting on spraying and lotioning us each time we walked by something. Honestly, I was so uncomfortable that I abandoned her in the store (an act she did not thank me for later) and we haven't gone back since. In fact, I think when we go to the mall, our radius around the place is larger than any other shop!

It's one thing to try and see and harass from a distance, but there has to be some line when it comes to personal space... like... physically touching the customer!

Mickey'sGirl
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
My story is phone story.

A lawncare company called our house and asked if we were interested in arranging for their services. I told the caller that we were not, thank you anyway. She asked me if I understood how important x, y and z were for lawncare, and was I sure that I didn't want to sign up for their services. I told her no thank you, and have a good day. She cut me off and said, is your husband home, I think I should discuss this with him. Well, I about exploded into the phone. I asked her why did she need to speak with my husband when I told her no. She told me that men understood these things better.

I asked for her manager. She hung up on me. I called the number back and asked for the manager, and was told he was not available. I told them I was able to stay on the line until he was. After a few minutes the manager got on the line, I complained about the pushy, sexist phone agent and advised them to never call my home again. He apologized and confirmed that they would not call our home again.

Well didn't they call the next day. SAME woman!! I told her we had spoken the day before I told them to never call our house again, and if they did I would report them to the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission -- there is a law).

Sure enough she called again about a week later. I filed a complaint with the CRTC, and I imagine they were fined. We have not received a call from these people (who are well known and still in business) for several years now. I think that woman made me angrier than I have ever been in my life. My family understands that "Weedman" is my trigger word!

minnie04
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
It's not so much the pushy sales people that bother me. I just say no once and that’s it, but it’s the following me around in the store that bugs me. I hate when they follow you around and try to look busy while you shop only to run over as soon as you touch something to ask "would you like any help with that" I have figured out what to do in the stores when I know they are watching. I TOUCH EVERYTHING!!!! :D

I’m the type of shopper that goes from one side to the other just looking at things. I always think I make myself look suspicious…lol because I wonder around look at things pick them up …put them down. I think to myself "should I get this" and then think of something else I want to see on the other side of the store...

Lizzy
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
ugh my ex husband (husband at the time) and I happened to be home one day when the Kirby Vacume salesmen were going around.

now I know, once they get in you are stuck with them for a while. I tried to turn him away, but he gave my ex husband the sob story about needing to do one more presentation for the day. He let him in. I told my ex to deal with it himself, but took his wallet and checkbook.

The kirby guy kept dropping the price and asking what my ex could afford I was getting angry. I was 8 months pregnant and really told him to leave. he turned to my ex, and said how much money do you have? I said he needed to leave then, he didn't. He said well if you have this much in your account you can do this. My ex finally said no. Then the salesman said well if you have a house, a camaro and a nice truck outside you can afford this so just sign this. I told the guy if he doesn't get out in 5 minutes with all his **** I will call the police. He was rude insulting and wouldn't take no for an answer.

I swore I would never buy a kirby after that. But my SO now had one when he moved in (his ex got roped into it) and I actually love it. :-o

DizneyRox
06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
This has worked 100% so far...

Salesman/woman comes up and says "Can I help you today?"

My response is "I don't think so.."

It seems to instantly shut them down... Pushy salespeople are the reason why I shop online. Funny how the response to decreased sales is the very thing pushing me away.

My better half ates that response and often starts to distance herself from me as the salespoeple approach. It's actually pretty funny...

Georgesgirl1
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
The pushiest salesman I have ever encountered was at a timeshare in Orlando. My grandparents owned at that particular place, and we got some sort of deal to stay there when I was in high school. My parents sat through the sales pitch, but were pretty truthful with him that we wouldn't be buying because my grandparents often let us use their week for free. The guy asked me dad how much longer he was going to mooch off his ILs. My dad said, "As long as they will let me!" ;) I have never seen my dad so mad, but instead of letting the guy know how mad he was, he just started to be the most difficult customer he could be. My parents also told him that even if they did decide to buy it would be after going home and thinking about it because there is no way that they would make that kind of a decision without sleeping on it. When we went to pick our "gift" for touring, my mom picked something and the guy said, "Are you sure you don't want to sleep on it?" Seriously obnoxious and we have never stayed there since then.

DisneyDog
06-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I shop at the King of Prussia mall and we have the kiosks with the lotions and hair straighteners, curlers, etc. too. King of Prussia is actually made up of two malls, and together they comprise the largest retail shopping mall in the country (smaller than Mall of America, but we don't have rides, so more retail space.) So, we have the kiosks down every hallway in two adjacent malls. You can't get away from these guys. I have wavy hair, so the curler people want to curl it and make it curlier, the straightener people want to straighten it. The hand lotion people drive me nuts because I have excema and will not put anything like that on my skin. The lotion and nail people all seem to be from Israel, and I think that if they don't meet their quota, they will get shipped back home. I did make the mistake once of letting the nail people shine up my natural nails. They saw I was wearing a necklace indicating I'm Jewish, and that just gave them more ammunition to try and charm me. Now I know better. I just keep walking and ignore them, but that only seems to make them angry. They are like the terminator!

MissMaryPoppins
06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
The best with those carts is they always walk towards me and say "can I ask you a question?" and I always tell them "you just did, sorry"

That's perfect!

Kenny1113
06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I agree! When I walk into a store, if the sales people are too much I will turn around and walk out. Especially if I'm not going in for a needed or specific item.

Around here though it seems to be one extreme to the other. Either they are over bearing or you non existent. So many times I have had to interrupt personal conversations/telephone calls to get someon to ring up my purchases.

I was mad with the cart people because they actully got me once. I really was leaving the mall in a hurry to go pick up the kids from school. I sped past one of the girls in the kiosks she asked "excuse me, can you tell me what time it is". I stopped to tell her, she commented on my watch then proceeded to try to sell me her garbage. :mad: Now I have no problems being rude and ignoring those cart people all together.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Pushy - gotta love those center kiosks at the malls - weight loss products. Now, I will fully admit that I need to lose a few and I am SLOWLY and very healthily working on that. But when this overly muscular guy got into my face and put a hand on my shoulder and told me that his protein powder shake would help me lose 15 pounds in a week........First reaction - I laughed and laughed and laughed. I then told him if he did not remove his hand from my shoulder that someone was going to have to extract some round objects that reside in a lower region from his nose as I was well trained in self-defense and was not afraid to use it. He slowly backed up and I would have left but my friend was purchasing something from the kiosk next to his. As I tried to move around him - his next line, but "skinnier women are happier". Again - another big laugh from me, followed by "Honey, I LOVE who I see in the mirror, have a husband that, even after over 20 years and many pounds, still cannot keep his hands off of me and you think I need to be skinny to be happy?" No comeback from him as my friend finished her purchase and we left laughing.

AgentC
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
I have a couple stories.

Door to door sales are quite common in Florida. Last year I had a run in with a Kirby salesman. He was quite insistent and pulled my door open when I tried to close it letting my dog escape and run down the street. While I chased after her, he calmly walked to my neighbor's house like nothing had happened and knocked on their door. :eek: He came back to my a few months ago. He didn't remember me, but I certainly remembered him.

Last month my mom called to warn my that a very aggressive water treatment salesman was making his way up the street. When he came to the door I told him the homeowner was not home and there was not a good time to come back. After he left he went around my house, up my driveway and into my backyard to find my husband who was watering the backyard. You can't even see our garden from the street. I was not happy and let his company know. :mad:

My final one is a skin care mall care in a high end mall. The woman stopped me and said, "I think you were one of my customers at Nieman Marcus." Umm no. Good attempt at flattery I suppose if her next statement wasn't, "I can help you get rid of all those big pores on your face."

Wolf
06-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Nothing makes me crazier than a pushy salesperson. It sets my teeth on edge, last week Rue 21 had a shoe sale and I wanted some cheap flats to wear with shorts (or else I never go in such a teenagerish store) so I am wandering around in there and this young girl brings this perfume up to me, I tell her "No thank you, please don't spray that near my I've got awful allergies to all perfumes" Well did that phase her? Noo...She sprayed it I sneezed and handed her everything I had picked up to purchase I told her "I will not be back, inform your manager you just lost a customer" and walked out, I know they have to try to push this junk but when someone says "no" its not okay to me. I keep expecting someone to have a full on asthma attack in there or something...Frustrates me to no end...

Another store is called Icing its like a cheapish jewlery store (think an 20+ Claires) they try to give you these silly little baskets and it makes me mental!!! I tell them "No" and they follow me around. I'm not carrying around this icky germy basket when I need 1 pair of earrings. It drives me crazy, I hate to be mean but I usually tell people "You're hurting your sale by pestering me" its so frustrating!!

PirateLover
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I think Kirby salesman must be tortured in a basement if they don't sell. I know a friend who let her in-law's deadbeat boyfriend do a demo. It was clear that she wasn't going to buy anything, he just needed practice demoing and could record that he had made a pitch, etc. Well, by the end, he was well into a sob story and yes, she now owns a Kirby! It DOES do wonders, but I don't like the way they do business, so I will never buy one.

Wolf
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I think Kirby salesman must be tortured in a basement if they don't sell. I know a friend who let her in-law's deadbeat boyfriend do a demo. It was clear that she wasn't going to buy anything, he just needed practice demoing and could record that he had made a pitch, etc. Well, by the end, he was well into a sob story and yes, she now owns a Kirby! It DOES do wonders, but I don't like the way they do business, so I will never buy one.

All of this Kirby talk is making me very happy I live in the country!!! We never have anyone coming to our door cause we live so far out!

DVC2004
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Yes those mall kiosk ones are bad. By me, they are all foreign people with accents. "Can I ask you question?" Is one of their favorites, lots of false flattery questions to get you to stop and engage them. I used to be polite and answer or say no thanks, but now I just steam on past and ignore looking straight ahead or pretend I am talking on my cell. I had to go to the mall recently to get my son Pro-Active and was relieved to find out the kiosk I was expecting was a self-service Proactiv vending machine. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
I always just keep walking past the kiosk people and just keep saying no thanks! Good luck with them trying to keep up as I keep on trucking!

I also work part time in a up scale jewelry store. We are supposed to approach customers within 30 seconds of them coming in the store. So what I do is ask if I can direct them towards anything. And then I tell them that if they need help to please let me know. I'll keep an eye out for them but I hate when people hover over me so I don't do that to them. And If I'm doing our inventory counts (that we have to do every night), I just let them know that I'm counting and I'll be with them as quickly as possible.

I hate pushy sales people but I also hate when you walk into a store like mine (where you have to have someone show you the merchandise) and they completely ignore you. There was a jewelry store in the Stamford, CT mall that wouldn't even look up when we walked in because we weren't dressed appropriately (at least in their eyes). So as we were leaving the store I'd always yell out "That's OK, I didn't want to buy anything here anyway". Needless to say, they are out of business.

There was also another jewelry store in the Natick Mall that you could just tell the sales people were snobs. When I'm out shopping, I'm wearing shorts or jeans etc. I'm dressed comfortably. Again, this store would ignore us. So we'd walk through the store and my sister would loudly ask "does YOUR store carry these? To which I'd reply "No we don't carry that stuff, our pearls are Mikimoto". Or whatever. Or that we carry this that or the other. And I wasn't exaggerating or lying but actually stating what we do carry. As I said, we are up scale, but NOT snobby or snotty. So if anyone needs any jewelry, I'm your girl. lol

Wolf
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I always just keep walking past the kiosk people and just keep saying no thanks! Good luck with them trying to keep up as I keep on trucking!

I also work part time in a up scale jewelry store. We are supposed to approach customers within 30 seconds of them coming in the store. So what I do is ask if I can direct them towards anything. And then I tell them that if they need help to please let me know. I'll keep an eye out for them but I hate when people hover over me so I don't do that to them. And If I'm doing our inventory counts (that we have to do every night), I just let them know that I'm counting and I'll be with them as quickly as possible.

I hate pushy sales people but I also hate when you walk into a store like mine (where you have to have someone show you the merchandise) and they completely ignore you. There was a jewelry store in the Stamford, CT mall that wouldn't even look up when we walked in because we weren't dressed appropriately (at least in their eyes). So as we were leaving the store I'd always yell out "That's OK, I didn't want to buy anything here anyway". Needless to say, they are out of business.

There was also another jewelry store in the Natick Mall that you could just tell the sales people were snobs. When I'm out shopping, I'm wearing shorts or jeans etc. I'm dressed comfortably. Again, this store would ignore us. So we'd walk through the store and my sister would loudly ask "does YOUR store carry these? To which I'd reply "No we don't carry that stuff, our pearls are Mikimoto". Or whatever. Or that we carry this that or the other. And I wasn't exaggerating or lying but actually stating what we do carry. As I said, we are up scale, but NOT snobby or snotty. So if anyone needs any jewelry, I'm your girl. lol

I'm very much on your team on this!! I sometimes go into a store where I have no clue what I'm looking for or anything about the object I'm hunting, when I need help I want someone there who will help me but I don't need my hand held if its somewhere I know. Whenever I worked retail I'd offer and if I could tell a person was lost (usually a parent because I used to run a comic book shop) I'd always offer help, noone feels pressure and noone feels lost.