PDA

View Full Version : Luau vs Hoop Dee Doo

homeschool mom
06-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I was hoping to go to Hoop Dee Doo for my birthday celebration in December and recently found out it will be closed then. :( We have never been to the Polynesian Luau and I was wondering how it compares to Hoop Dee Doo. We have been to Hoop Dee Doo several times and we really enjoy it.

Imalismom
06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I am probably the only person on earth that HATED the Luau. I did not like the food, I did not like the service, I was not impressed with the show - maybe if I was not outside in the HOT HOT still air, it might have been a different experience, but for me - once was enough. In fact, once was really too many times! On the other hand,I will do Hoop-Dee-Do every chance I can get :mickey:

The menu is:

Appetizers
Pineapple-Coconut Bread
Mixed Greens with Mango Poppy Seed Dressing
Sweet Golden Pineapple

Main Course
Pineapple-Honey Barbecued Pork Ribs
Ginger-Garlic Roasted Chicken
Polynesian Fried Rice
Seasonal Vegetables

Dessert
Kilauea Volcano Delight

The pricing is:
Category 1 Adults (10 and up) Adult: $67.99-$71.99, Child (3-9): $34.99-$36.99 including tax and gratuity [lower level, in the center and nearest the stage]-- age up to 2.11 months: free

Category 2 Adults $62.99-$66.99 including tax and gratuity - Child $30.99-$32.99 including tax and gratuity [lower level -- located on either the left or right side of the stage or upper level tables that are located directly behind the Category 1 seating]

Category 3 Adults $58.99 including tax and gratuity,Child $29.99 including tax and gratuity

BugeyedMuggy
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I am not a fan of the luau and really enjoy the HDDR but if it is closed at your trip time then the luau was ok. If you have young children they wiil enjoy the entertainment. We have never been to the barbecue in the campground maybe that is another option.

TinkerbellT421
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Not a fan of the luau. Pretty much exactly why everyone else has listed.

Kairi_7378
06-08-2012, 07:17 PM
This question comes up pretty frequently on the boards, and the feeling is usually that HDDR is far better than the Luau.

The only nice thing that I've heard about the Luau is that it is nice to do once. With that kind of recommendation, I'd visit some other restaurants during my next trip. Maybe Whispering Canyon Cafe to get some of the atmosphere of the HDDR?

DizneyRox
06-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I am probably the only person on earth that HATED the Luau. ...

You must be new... :D

As a matter of fact, I'll let you be vice president of the "Heman LUAU Hating Club.

It's by far he worst experience I remember at WDW, and I'm getting old and forgetful. Still can't get the place out of my mind. You probably enjoy taking the tickets, put the tickets in a blender with some cat food and washing it down with sour milk.

Tinkerbella16
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
So many people will say they loved HDDR wayyy better than the Luau. I have only been to the Luau and it wasn't that great. Probably won't do it again. I am going to HDDR in September for the first time and I can't wait. I have not read one negative review yet. I know I'm gonna be hooked! :mickey:

steamboat52
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
I disliked the luau so much that I asked for (and received) my money back. Food, service, entertainment... all terrible.

DizneyRox
06-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I disliked the luau so much that I asked for (and received) my money back. Food, service, entertainment... all terrible.
Wow, that's a rarity! Getting money back from Disney...

homeschool mom
06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Well, I guess we will stay away from the luau. Thanks for all the feedback. We will be on the dining plan and I guess it's not worth 2 ts meals.

sassafras
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
We went to the luau twice-once with the old show and once with the new. The old, while it was tedious, it was more entertaining. The new is kind of like a really bad beach party movie. I wasn't impressed and we haven't been back since. Guess I'll join the haters club!

Imalismom
06-09-2012, 09:37 AM
You might want to try the Back Yard BBQ - it does not have the same entertainment as HDDR, but it does have the same food. Here is what the Disney web site has to say:

Mickey's Backyard BBQ Dinner Show is an all-you-care-to-eat Disney Character dance party with live entertainment at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Frolic with Mickey, Minnie and Friends at this neighborly outdoor picnic in the middle of the covered, open-air Pavilion at Fort Wilderness. With foot-stomping music from a country-western band, line dancing, rope tricks and kid-friendly fun, you won't sit still for a second. Little ones can even dance a jig with their favorite Disney Characters on the dance floor! Celebrations are acknowledged in the show.

Enjoy a delectable buffet featuring all your beloved country vittles: barbeque smoked ribs, smoked chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs with all the trimmings, corn on the cob, watermelon and more. It's a mouth-watering, knee-slapping good time!

Guest Policies
Mickey's Backyard BBQ is a seasonal show that is offered on Thursdays and Saturdays from March through December.
Tickets are available for pick-up immediately after reservation has been confirmed online at any Walt Disney World Resort Guest Relations, Guest Service, or Resort Concierge desk. For same day box office pick-up, please arrive 40 minutes prior to show time.
Pre-payment is required. A cancellation policy applies and will result in charges if you cancel with insufficient notice. Specific policies related to this facility will be detailed at time of reservation booking.
This location can accommodate most special dietary needs. Advance notice may be required and cancellation fees may apply. Please indicate any special dietary need at time of reservation booking. Learn more about how we can help accommodate special dietary needs.
This experience may be cancelled due to severe or inclement weather.

I have not tried the BBQ, but it is on my Disney bucket list.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that DH & I are close to the only people who disliked the HDDR. To each their own.

We enjoyed the polynesian show. Unlike alot of folks, we did not expect it to be a true Luau and really enjoyed it as a dinner show.

So that would be my advice to you, should you decide to try it, don't expect a true Hawaiian Luau and you will probably enjoy yourself.

A Big Kid
06-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I am in the same exact boat....early December trip coinciding with my birthday and that HDD is closed. I know HDD has beer and wine included in the cost. Does the luau or BBQ have that?

Imalismom
06-09-2012, 07:53 PM
All-You-Can-Eat Buffet:
Tossed Garden Salad
Fresh Herb Potato Salad
Creamy Cole Slaw
Cornbreads
Smoked BBQ Chicken
Barbeque Pork Ribs
Hot Dogs
Hamburgers
Cowboy Beans
Macaroni and Cheese
Corn on the Cob
Fixin's

Watermelon
Ice Cream Bars
Itzakadoozie Bars
Strawberry Bars

Lemonade, Ice Tea, Beer, and Wine
$54.99 Adults; $31.99 Children (ages 3-9)
Thursdays and Saturdays Only

margiem
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I am in the same exact boat....early December trip coinciding with my birthday and that HDD is closed. I know HDD has beer and wine included in the cost. Does the luau or BBQ have that?

HDDR just opened up its reservations for the end of the year. They closed them because they were changing the show times. Try and make your reservations again! I just made mine for the middle of November without a problem after trying every day for the last 2 weeks. Good luck.

A Big Kid
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
HDDR just opened up its reservations for the end of the year. They closed them because they were changing the show times. Try and make your reservations again! I just made mine for the middle of November without a problem after trying every day for the last 2 weeks. Good luck.

My wife called me at work today to tell me she made ADRs at HDD. I thought she was kidding me. So, yes, you are correct (and so is my wife, but I ain't telling her).

Imalismom
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM

This was a news release from WDW

Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue Show Times Adjustment

From time to time, we evaluate our operation and occasionally make adjustments to meet the changing needs of our Guests. As a part of that effort, we implemented a show time adjustment test for Disney's Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue from November 13, 2011, through February 11, 2012.
Based on the results of the test, the show times for the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue will be 4 p.m., 6:15 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. effective October 1, 2012. The category pricing structure will remain the same.
There are no changes in entitlement to Disney Dining Plan Guests. For Guests on the Disney Dining Plan, they can redeem two table-service meals for either Category 2 or Category 3 seats for the 4 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. shows or Categories 1, 2, and 3 seats for the 8:30 p.m. show. Discount details are currently being finalized. We will communicate any updates as soon as they are available.
This will not impact the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show's or Mickey’s Backyard BBQ's show times

DizneyRox
06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I always thought the late show was WAY too late to be eating that much of hat kind of food. Went once and don't recommend anyone going to that show. 8:30 is a whole new ball of wax...

4 is too early now though. Maybe Xmas time since it gets dark sooner, but that's really close to lunchtime, again, to be eating that much of that kind of food...

I should shut my mouth, they will just make it two shows a night and pump up the prices make up the difference...

homeschool mom
06-13-2012, 06:02 AM
WOW! That's odd to me, but I'm glad they will be open during our trip. :thumbsup: