PDA

View Full Version : Episode 34 - Running Over The Speedway Rails

John
06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
The Cast: Ian, Gary, Melanie & John

Talking to Ian live at Boardwalk in Room 4041

Fantasyland looks nice but not much open

Bathrooms in Fantasyland - Reclaimed water? What’s the deal?

Double Dumbo in place

AvengeRail Redux

Flower & Garden Festival - Epcot looks great

Snow White had a line and woo hoo - a meet and greet coming

Body Wars still there?

The Astuter Computer Show

Free “High Speed” Internet

Fork and Screen at Downtown Disney

The Avengers

INTERCOT’s Best of Section of a Park At Night - Ian says the

Bridge between France and England, Gary goes with Gary’s

Column, Melanie is a fan of Liberty Square and John goes with

Future World between Imagination and the Seas.

Ian says buh-bye

Star Wars Weekend and the Han Solo thing

Who is the most famous celbrity you have met in the parks

Animal Kingdom 5k

Run Disney 20th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon

John gets massively confused as to which Speedway

INTERCOT’s 15th Anniversary Celebration this October 25-28

Busch Gardens VerBolten

>> Download, Listen, Love, Tell A Friend... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-34.asp)

lettripp
06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Can not WAIT to listen once grade reports are written... good incentive to finish them faster!

Quadstriker
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Nice podcast.

Disappointed to hear they won't allow bookings for Illuminations. That really was a wonderful experience after our reception.

darthmacho
06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Going to listen to the podcast in work tonight.

As for the Best Park Section...At Night, my first choice would have to be Tomorrowland. It really comes to life when the sun goes down.

Future World and Hollywood Boulevard are good too. I guess I have a thing for neon? :confused:

finaldynasty
06-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Enjoyed listening to the podcast!

Great job gang!

DisneyDINK
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I was thinking about the whole Disney/Marvel thing with all of the characters at Universal/IOA. It will be interesting when that contract is up. What wuill happen?

My thought: Could Disney just swap the X-Men, etc. rights for Avatarland. Have we gone too far for that? I just think that by the time we've gone through the 5+ years it takes to get the Avatarland thing up and running the Avatar franchise might be really irrelevant; sequels could bomb. The Marvel characters in contrast are pretty timeless.

MO-5
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Totally floored about the mention of my beer with Gary's Column. My kids got a big laugh out of it as well. Semi-Celebrity status. Love the Podcast as always but this one will be in the personal archives forever. LOL.

and I was just looking at my profile. I've been a Intercotee since 2000 and this is my 79th post. That's pretty lame. I'll have to step it up a bit.
My user name MO-5 is a tribute to the WDW Security offices located on the second floor of the shops on Main Street. It was our office number way back in 1991.:mickey:

Jim

TinkerbellT421
06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Great podcast as always!! I LOVE how long they have been :D

Ahhh the joy of ten day trips! DBF and I used to take ten day trips for a couple of years anyway and then work put the kibosh on that  We both work for the same company in the same department so it was difficult on our manager to cover both our jobs plus his while we were away. Bummer too we used to LOVE the 10 day trips. John and Ian are right, its like sometimes you are just winding down and starting to relax and then you have to pack and go, with the 10 day trips we would come back feeling so much more relaxed. Someday we will be able to do that again, **sigh**.

My favorite area of the park at night is outside of the Imagination Pavillion area. No idea why but I always love that area at night with the upside Waterfall and the lights, etc. 

If it covered resorts too then I would have said Boardwalk all night every night is my absolute favorite but it appeared it was strictly parks so. But for the record it would have been the Boardwalk lol

Speaking of Intercot Swag, I think DBF is still waiting for his from winning the Basketball Bracket lol……

Dopey's Girl
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Ian, I think we had the same waitress at 50's Prime Time. We ate there in 2010 and she had the same lines. The little boy I was there with was so traumatized, he won't even consider eating there!

I'm still listening, so I'll be back to comment more!

disneymom15
06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
John, your confusion about the speedway was so funny. Was telling my husband about it and he thought the exact same thing, almost word for word about the rails.

Disney Doll
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Another good one guys!

I will be honest enough to admit that I was right there with John on the whole Speedway run. I just kept thinking how in the world is that going to work out? :blush:

You guys make me feel like we are living on the cutting edge of innovation here in Oklahoma because we've had a fork and screen type theater for several years now. It's a fun option and a popular choice for opening night because you actually have a reserved seat so you don't have to line up for big releases. I too was worried that the wait staff and food would be distracting, but it's really not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the reclaimed water thing. As far as I know reclaimed water is waste water (sewage) which is treated but not to drinking water standards. It's most often used for irrigation. Using it for hand washing seems a little ew.

BrerGnat
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
John, the speedway rails part was the funniest moment in Intercot podcast history, for me anyway.

I just loved how it was all so conversational, with no hint of anyone picking up on it for the longest time. I was dying laughing! I am not even sure what was funnier...that you actually thought they were talking about the Indy Speedway or the fact that Mel and Gary didn't even realize that's what you meant. So funny.

My favorite nighttime spot in the parks is near Spaceship Earth. I could sit there for hours at night, listening to the music and enjoying the lights on SSE.

Melanie
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I haven't listened, but think I should go listen to the Marathon part anyway. I'm sure I didn't describe it as clearly as I should have. I know I'm not the best with explanation. :blush:

As far as it being one of the funnier moments, for me at least, it ranks up there with us all FINALLY figuring out the location of Gary's favorite people watching place - AKA Gary's Column. :funny:

BrerGnat
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I haven't listened, but think I should go listen to the Marathon part anyway. I'm sure I didn't describe it as clearly as I should have. I know I'm not the best with explanation. :blush:

As far as it being one of the funnier moments, for me at least, it ranks up there with us all FINALLY figuring out the location of Gary's favorite people watching place - AKA Gary's Column. :funny:

I don't know Mel, I totally knew what you meant. Just not sure where John's mind was at...apparently, Tomorrowland. :funny:

dpamac
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM

I seriously wonder about you guys sometimes.

dpamac
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Nice podcast.

Disappointed to hear they won't allow bookings for Illuminations. That really was a wonderful experience after our reception.

It was. Both of my Illuminations party experiences were fantastic. Though the UK side has better beer within walking distance. French beer? Blech.

Melanie
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
I seriously wonder about you guys sometimes.

Shouldn't we hear from Column himself on this one?

plscott
06-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey All, Normally I go to this link,
http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/

and I can download the latest episode. However, the latest episode there is #33. I think maybe you need to add this one in

http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-34.asp

Thanks! Great job as always!

John
06-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey All, Normally I go to this link,
http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/

and I can download the latest episode. However, the latest episode there is #33. I think maybe you need to add this one in

http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-34.asp

Thanks! Great job as always!

Fixed - thanks for the heads up!

ryca1dreams
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Wow, finally getting around to listening to this (busy month)

Long time member, though I usually read more than I post, like MO-5.

Sorry my suggestion for "favorite" was so vague - I did that on purpose. But, thanks for picking it anyway and nice answers.

John, we walked out of Coral Reef (or Fish Cantina as I called it) real late one night and it was really calm and peaceful and I love the music. My favorite is probably a toss up between Adventureland and Tomorrowland, both for different reasons.

Buttercup
06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a special night time spot.

My sister (Jennsky) and I used to have a friend who worked in the Mexico pavillion back in the mid-90's. On one of our trips down to Florida, Jenn & I met up with him at Epcot one evening, and I remember sitting on a bench over between the Universe of Energy & WoL/Horizons areas. It was so empty and dark... very peaceful at night with the low-lighting. The background music in Epcot at that time was awesome (and John always says!) so it will always stand out as being one of the nice peaceful, quiet areas for me when the sun goes down.

Drachengeist
06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
I am with Team Mel,
Liberty Square is great for a variety of reasons. Not the least that sitting anywhere from the stocks to the Liberty Tree is the best place in the park to see the nighttime parades.
You can see the floats and characters comming across the bridge and there is always extra time to interact as the larger floats make the turn.
It has been partially spoiled though with the introduction of the Wizards of the Magic Kingdom station on the side of Dixie Landing. When all is quiet or you are starting to get into the music, the jarring sounds of the dialog and "battle" is discordant.:(

MN_Rose
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
I think Mel was talking about a theater in California, so I just wanted to let you know that they have a dinner and movie option at the theaters in Downtown Disney (across from Planet Hollywood). My DD and I went when we were there for the Christmas Holidays. The food was ok, but not anything to write home about. And the pricing was a little high, but not any higher than eating in the parks.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
A great podcast as always guys, I love how long they have been too. I honestly could listen for 3 + hours if you kept them going.

My favorite place at night is the same as Darth Macho, Tomorrowland. It really becomes alive at night, even the metal palm trees fold up. I remember working at Space Mountain and leaving after park close. Wondering around Tomorrowland alone at night was awesome.

BriarRose0708
06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Before evening EMH were discontinued at Animal Kingdom I was able to be in the Asia area outside Everest after the sun had set. What a beautiful area at night! The lamps were on, strings of lights and prayer flags, the peak of Everest was lit up and you could just feel the atmosphere change as if you were really in a Himalayan mountain village. I'll miss that time in the evening at Animal Kingdom!

diz_girl
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for another great Podcast. I really enjoyed it, even though there were so few of you.

Firstly, we miss you Carol! At least we'll get Michael back for his Carsland report, but where did Jeff go?

Secondly, I thought the same thing as John about the speedway. The Tomorrowland Speedway is what I think of first when a speedway is mentioned at WDW.

Thirdly, like ryca1, my favorite nighttime spot in the parks is a toss up between Tomorrowland and Adventureland. Tomorrowland looks great at night with the neon and combine that with the music, it has a really neat energy at night. Adventureland really gives off a foreign tropical feel at night, like I'm transported to someplace other than central Florida. Some of the other lands aren't as successful at doing that.

Fourthly, I find it funny that Mel said in Ep 33 that she didn't like Chris Hemsworth, then after seeing him in Thor and the Avengers, you can definitely tell that she's changed her mind.

Fifthly, the most famous person that I saw in the parks was Martin Mull, in June 1989, in the Animation ride gift shop. Didn't meet him though. Saw two other celebrities (at the time) that trip, but not as famous as Martin Mull.

Finally, Greedo shot first.

Eagerly awaiting Ep. 35.