PDA

View Full Version : Back From Aulani- Fantastic!

DVC2004
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
We're back and boy, was it amazing. I will post more soon in Trip Reports (back at work, still recovering from jet lag, time differnce, a mountain of dirty clothes and tons of work to catch up on).

We had a 1 BR Villa which was gorgeous. The location couldn't be more perfect. A large resort with tall buildings but it never felt crowded though lots of people were there. Great beach set on a lagoon with calm waters, awesome pool area, snorkeling reef similar to Typhoon Lagoon (with no sharks), and a double-decker infinity edge hot tub :cloud9:.

Everything was perfect. We did have a car and left sometimes to shop and dine. We also took a helicopter tour and went into a shark cage, visited the North Shore and saw so many sea turtles (honu) though it was not the season for the big waves.

I can't recommend it enough. We can't wait until we can visit again. We were there a week and I could have easily stayed 1 more. Maybe next year- already working on the husband to take us back.;)

faline
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to read about the details!

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow, it sounds fantastic! Can't wait for more details.

epceddie
06-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks for posting. Sounds like you had a great time. Is the North Shore where they host all the surfing competitions?

vizsla
06-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Glad to hear you had a great time.

faline
06-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks for posting. Sounds like you had a great time. Is the North Shore where they host all the surfing competitions?

Yes - it's typically the North Shore of Oahu that gets the large surf. The surf tends to be higher in the winter months.

wildernesslady
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
I can't wait to read your reports. Sorry you had to come home already.

Mickey'sGirl
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Fabulous Diane! I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday! :thumbsup:

Aurora
06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the review! I am going in September and can't wait! Will look for your trip report.

ozmom
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Welcome home, looking forward to reading your report. We booked today for January. :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
06-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear you had a great time and look forward to reading your trip report! :mickey:

doombuggy
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Will look forward to your report. I want to go next year for my birthday and have been saving points since I have a small contract. I have a friend who is interested in going as well, and we might combine points instead of getting 2 studios, especially if we get more people to go. Was also planning a stop at DL on the way back. Would like to hear about your helocopter tour (espically how you felt going up....)

MyDisneyworld
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Sounds like a dream vacation. We are planning a trip for 2015 (super preplanning) and wondered if anyone knew the best months to go? We would love to go end of April but are flexible to get the best value and weather mix. Also we will be stopping off at Disneyland for a few days on the way to or back.

Thanks,
Chris

DVC2004
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Sounds like a dream vacation. We are planning a trip for 2015 (super preplanning) and wondered if anyone knew the best months to go? We would love to go end of April but are flexible to get the best value and weather mix. Also we will be stopping off at Disneyland for a few days on the way to or back.

Thanks,
Chris

I don't know the ideal time to go- in the winter months Nov-March the whales are there so that is pretty cool. Temps are pretty constant 80-85 degrees year round and they get tradewinds that keep it pretty nice. Rain is brief and hangs out over certain areas. I amnot sure if they have a "rainy season" or not. It has not been a problem on either trip I've taken. I have been to Hawaii twice now, once at end on Jan (big Island- Hawaii) and this past trip early June (Oahu). I did like June better as the ocean seemed warmer to me (if you are planning on doing any ocean activities). Really no rain to speak of on either trip.

As far as Disneyland goes it gets busy in the summer, on weekends, and around holidays. We were there over Memorial Day weekend and it was crowded though not terrible (30 -40 minutes wait times on average, a few 60 minutes and 90 min for Splash ). Weather was great. Winter months there are usually cooler (in the 60's) and rainy. Fall is nice.

If anyone has specific questions I can answer let me know. I am trying to get to that trip report but still catching up on work- soon! I promise.

TinksPixieDust
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
So glad you had fun! We will be there so soon!!

Questions: Can you bring your own beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach? We will be there for two weeks and though that buying chairs and umbrellas at Costco or somewhere might save us money on renting chairs and umbrellas on the beach!

Anything must see or do? Can't wait for your trip report!

DVC2004
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
So glad you had fun! We will be there so soon!!

Questions: Can you bring your own beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach? We will be there for two weeks and though that buying chairs and umbrellas at Costco or somewhere might save us money on renting chairs and umbrellas on the beach!

Anything must see or do? Can't wait for your trip report!

You can bring your own chairs but actually, if you were an Aulani Resort guest (you had to get a wristband each day) they did NOT charge for the chairs or unbrellas. There were a limited number of umbrellas set out and we asked one of the beach attendants, because I had read there was a charge. She said no charge but wanted to take down our name to "check the umbrella out" to us. I do think there was a charge for the padded loungers with the canopy shade that comes over but almost nobody used those. So I don't think you'll need to bring anything. :thumbsup:

The resort is great but we didn't take advantage of lots of activities. the kids wanted to spend most of the time at the beach and some at the pool. My oldest rented a paddleboard for an hour and did that in the lagoon which he liked. We saw them film a Disney Channel commerical on the beach and in the lagoon. My kids are older so past the Auntys Beach House kids club age so they didn't do that. We listened to "Uncle" tell a story at the fire pit one night and we caught part of the Starlit Hui show. It seemed good but the kids got bored (show) and so we left. Also we had a Luau booked at Paradise Cove for later in the week so we figured we'd see more dancing then. We never got around to the Menehune Adventure (like KIm Possible at Epcot) which I am still disappointed that we missed. It was good to have a car to be able to go other places for a little while and eat at other places. The food is very good but it was $15 for a burger poolside. We drove a little ways away and got groceries at Safeway (soda, cereal, milk, some snacks) which was good to have as well.

Must sees around the island-North Shore has a beach known for sea turtles congragating, that was something to see. There is the Dole Pineapple Plantation up there too but we drove past. If you like shopping there is a very high end mall in Honolulu, called Ala Moana shopping center. They have everything! Honolulu is pretty crowded and congested. If you are able to swing it, I would highly recommend the helicopter. As scared as I am to fly, I got over it pretty quick and it was amazing to see the island from that perspective. We saw the inside of Diamondhead Crater, Pearl Harbor, and Sacred Falls (a remote waterfall in a national park that is closed to the public) from the air. We also saw from the air: many sea turtles, a HUGE hammerhead shark and a 10 foot Manta Ray.

I'll get that report out soon, promise. Feel free to ask about anything else.