PDA

View Full Version : Splash mountain

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
How long does Splash Mountain normally shut down when its having work done on it?
:dumbo:

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 01:33 AM
How long does Splash Mountain normally shut down when its having work done on it?
:dumbo:

They need to shut it down for 8 months to a year and bring it back to it's glory days... it is in bad shape...

however, the thing gets a few weeks every winter, and nothing this winter cause BTMR was down...

Strmchsr
06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Normally it's a month (January), but as noted above since it got nothing this year I'm hoping they do a major multi-month full refurb next year like BTMRR got this year.

RBrooksC
06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Splash Mountain is taken down for a refurb like BTMRR this winter. By that time, most of the new Fantasyland will be open, so having Splash down wouldn't be as detrimental as it would be at other times.

They would have a headliner attraction, The Little Mermaid opening in December, that could cover for Splash Mountain, for an extended refurb.

TinkerbellT421
06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Not that it could be true BUT the CM that told DBF and I back in 2011 about the refurb of BTMRR he followed it up with come December of 2012 the rumor was that they were going to close Splash the same way as they were Big Thunder to give it an extensive rehab, but they had to wait until BTMRR was complete yada yada yada. But again that was a CM rumor soooooo, we can only hope ;)

joonyer
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Splash Mountain is way past due for a MAJOR , MAJOR refurb. Remembering back to our first family visit in 2002, it is sad to see what poor condition many of the effects and animatronics have been allowed to reach. I don't know what they have been doing on their annual refurbs the past few years, but it has not been enough. This is the most popular attraction at WDW (and the best overall, IMO). It deserves better.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I hope they only shut it down for a few weeks because my birthday is in late January and I would be heart broken if I couldnt ride my favorite ride. It would be very depressing for a song of the south fan like me and its definitley the most fun (in my opinion). My trip is on 19-26 do you think it will be refurbished by then?
:crying: :crying: :crying:

TinkerbellT421
06-07-2012, 06:24 PM
I hope they only shut it down for a few weeks because my birthday is in late January and I would be heart broken if I couldnt ride my favorite ride. It would be very depressing for a song of the south fan like me and its definitley the most fun (in my opinion). My trip is on 19-26 do you think it will be refurbished by then?

Unfortunately, if I had to guess yes. It shuts down for about 3-4 weeks and it's usually the Monday after new tears or so when it does. In past trips I have just missed it where it shuts down the day before we get there or would reopen the day after we were leaving. Depends usually on what they plan on refurbing.

Strmchsr
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
My trip is on 19-26 do you think it will be refurbished by then?

Probably not. In general even when they shut it down only for January it's usually all of January (reopening on Feb 1 or 2, something like that). I agree with you. I love the ride. My whole family does. And we'll be there at the end of January, too. However, as we were stating earlier, it is in horrible need of TLC. I'd rather miss it one year and have it restored to its full glory then have them do the halfway job they've been doing with everything continuing to break and look bad.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Well Im bummed out hopefully it wont be refurbed when im there but it looks like the odds are against me. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed! :cry: :crying:

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Thank You all for posting!

Jared
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Here's hoping Splash Mountain receives the love and care it deserves: a yearlong refurbishment to return it to its glory. When operating correctly, I believe it is Walt Disney World's finest achievement.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah I know it needs to be refurbished badly but I only get to go to disney every 3-4 years and I would be extremely upset if it wasnt there.

Strmchsr
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah I know it needs to be refurbished badly but I only get to go to disney every 3-4 years and I would be extremely upset if it wasnt there.

My suggestion, if possible, is go in December or November. I know you said you were planning a birthday trip in late January, but the odds are pretty good, as has been stated, that Splash will be closed in January, whether short or long term. So, if Splash is the most important ride to you, move up your vacation if possible to ensure you'll get to see it.

DizneyFreak2002
06-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Please don't take this as me calling you out, but this attitude is why WDW is falling apart.. this feeling that every ride has to be open when someone visits is what is destroying WDW...

Heck with people's vacations (in the nicest of ways)... Rides need to be shut and properly maintained... No vacation will be ruined because 1 ride is getting a refurb it needs... And if someone's vacation is ruined because of it, they need to seek the same help that 15 year old fairy wannabe needs...

Jared
06-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Please don't take this as me calling you out, but this attitude is why WDW is falling apart.. this feeling that every ride has to be open when someone visits is what is destroying WDW...

Heck with people's vacations (in the nicest of ways)... Rides need to be shut and properly maintained... No vacation will be ruined because 1 ride is getting a refurb it needs... And if someone's vacation is ruined because of it, they need to seek the same help that 15 year old fairy wannabe needs...
I have to agree with the sentiment here, and I promise I'm not picking on the original poster. I understand why he feels the way he feels, and I sympathize. It always stinks to miss out on a favorite attraction during a trip.

But it's true that this attitude -- one becoming more and more common among Walt Disney World guests -- is legitimately killing the parks. Refurbishments should be welcomed and celebrated, and we should tell that to Disney. By complaining that a ride is closed will only deter the company from undertaking extensive refurbishments in the future.

I would gladly miss Splash Mountain if it means that it gets the love it deserves. It'll be that much better the next time you go, whenever that is. Don't accept a watered-down version just because it's your favorite. As a Disney fan, you should demand to see the attractions operate as they were designed.

(Unless it's Stitch's Great Escape, in which case, who cares?)

Strmchsr
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
No vacation will be ruined because 1 ride is getting a refurb it needs

Absolutely! During our may trip Test Track and Big Thunder Mountain were both closed. Those two happen to be my sons' two favorite rides. Guess what? We had a great time any way and are looking forward to new and improved versions the next time around.

That said, that's a lot easier for us to say because we usually go to WDW at least once a year. For someone who only goes every 3-5 years it would be a little worse. In those cases, I say plan your vacation so as not to miss your favorite ride. It's fairly common knowledge Splash goes down pretty much every January (this year being the exception), so you adjust your timing.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree also, because I love the ride and I want it to be fixed but It just makes me sad not to ride I might take into consideration of moving my trip to February, December, or November I was just planning on going on my birthday. But I can always plan for some other time. I hope they can restore this ride back to the glory days and that happen sometime. Thanks for all comments about the ride it was helpful to my vaction planning!

Strmchsr
06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Just one other thought - I would suggest NOT doing February for the simple reason that if the rumors are true about the refurb then it's possible Splash will be closed January-May. I would hate for you to move your trip and still miss the ride.

kbean
06-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, well the boulders still don't move when your exiting the one cavern!!! What gives?

Where's the Haunted Mansion howl?

Fantasmic
07-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I am the BIGGEST splash fan. BUT after riding it MANY times last Sept and not having 1 ride through where EVERY single effect/AA/etc was working, and it was having a LOT of down time too, it almost felt continually broken (or 101)!!
I feel it does need a MAJOR refurb, if that means it closing for a long time then so be it.

I am hopefully going to get to WDW sometime next year (waiting for FL to be completed!) and I was thinking of a late Jan trip. BUT if Splash was on a long refurb I would delay.

However, if I had already booked a trip for Jan/Feb and it was closed, I would be bummed, it wouldn't be the same but I'm sure I'd still have a great time. Plus, it's a good enough reason to go back again!!

Splash REALLY REALLY needs a refurb! (seeing Br'er Fox, lifeless and twisted away from the ride vehicles in the scene just before the double drop to the laughing place was terribly unsettling!)

ImagiAsh
07-04-2012, 09:15 AM
But it's true that this attitude -- one becoming more and more common among Walt Disney World guests -- is legitimately killing the parks. Refurbishments should be welcomed and celebrated, and we should tell that to Disney. By complaining that a ride is closed will only deter the company from undertaking extensive refurbishments in the future.

I hardly think this is "killing the parks." I also disagree with your mention of it deterring Disney from commencing with their refurbishments. If anything, I would hope it inspires Disney to work efficiently during their refurbishment periods in regards to timing, labor, cost, and scheduling. If that means strategizing a newer and faster system to accomplish their goals, so be it. I am certainly not saying to do this at the risk of losing integrity, but a company should always be looking at ways for improvement in management. If there is potential to get the same job done in a shorter amount of time, that should be taken into consideration.

Maybe a year long refurbishment is completely necessary for Splash Mountain. I don't think guests will stop Disney from going forth with that and I also don't think guests will cancel an entire trip because a ride is down. Maybe they'll move some travel dates around if it is really a necessity to them, but for me, there is still so much to enjoy at Disney even if my favorite ride is down.