PDA

View Full Version : Brave

Aurora
06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Got to see a preview screening of "Brave" tonight in Chicago and it was fabulous. I won't give anything away, but it was one of the most beautiful Disney movies I've ever seen, and very exciting.

A word of warning: This film earned its PG rating. There are certain parts that can be very frightening for small children. There were plenty of little kids in the audience tonight saying loudly, "Mommy, I'm scared!" My 7-year-old has seen lots of films with, as they say in the movie ratings business, "some scary action," and even he was a little rattled.

That said, and as producer Katherine Sarafian stated in the Q&A afterwards, there needs to be a sense of real danger in order for there to be a real payoff. I think the movie paid off.

AgentC
06-07-2012, 12:31 AM
A word of warning: This film earned its PG rating. There are certain parts that can be very frightening for small children. There were plenty of little kids in the audience tonight saying loudly, "Mommy, I'm scared!" My 7-year-old has seen lots of films with, as they say in the movie ratings business, "some scary action," and even he was a little rattled.

Can you think of another movie to compare the "scare factor" too? My 4 and 6 year old are both dying to see this movie. I'm wondering if I should go see it first to be prepared for the scary sections.

Thanks

Aurora
06-07-2012, 01:18 AM
The cave troll scene in the first Lord of the Rings movie and the battle between Luke Skywalker and Jabba the Hut's creature in Return of the Jedi both come to mind. The scenes are very intense, and there's an emotional aspect to them as well.

Part of the reason they're so scary is that the animation in this film is so crisp and realistic, it puts others to shame. You can see every single curly hair on Merida's head. You know your children best, but in general, I wouldn't take a 4-year old to see this.

AgentC
06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks. I think my 6 year will probably be okay, but I think I am going to go see it first. Thanks again.

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Seems like Pixar has yet another winner on their hands...

Donald_Quackers
06-16-2012, 11:47 PM
I went to the preview showing on 6/14 and I agree with the OP. I loved the movie, but some of the scenes are intense. I also enjoyed the short that goes along with the movie.

Dulcee
06-17-2012, 08:22 AM
:tigger::tigger::tigger: I'm literally bouncing! I cannot wait to see this film!

Ian
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I think this is the most highly anticipated Pixar film for me since Cars. I can't wait to check it out!

Wolf
06-19-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm so excited to see this movie, I've been calling it the "Kids Braveheart" since I saw the longer trailer because the music reminds me so much of it!! I can't wait I think I'm going to try to go this weekend.

Aurora
06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
I have to say, after seeing the movie, I'm REALLY disappointed in the lame promos. There's one where Merida is doing a voice-over while there are some scenes from the movie, and it's just so 80s.

They could be doing so much more with the marketing of this film. I'm a little worried.

To die-hard Disney movie buffs: There WERE scenes in the film that reminded me strongly of other Disney movies, but that didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the story and the beauty of the picture.

Melanie
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Just saw the Rotten Tomatoes rating is in the 60s and going down. :unsure:

NJDad
06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Just saw the Rotten Tomatoes rating is in the 60s and going down. :unsure:

Down to 71 percent now, 75 percent from 'top critics'.

Aurora
06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Did anyone else see it this weekend? What did you think?

Joannelet
06-25-2012, 06:19 AM
I have not seen this yet but now I am worried as no one is really discussing it here from this past weekend. Did anyone go and see it? Please review when you get a chance.
Thank you to the OP about the warning of scary parts. My son wanted to see it but now i know he is too young. He is only 3.5. So thank you because I didnt expect it to be that intense.

Kenny1113
06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
My family saw the movie this weekend. It was good( yes reminded me of other Disney films in some parts). There were some parts that were dark and scary and yes some emotional stuff. I did not notice smaller children in the theater so I can not comment on their reaction. I dont know, maybe you can cover his eyes through those scenes. I believe, however this is thefirst Disney movie where the main character has both parents!!!!! ;) I thought the short prior to it was beautiful, so imaginative!

AgentC
06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
We haven't had time to see it yet, but hope to go this week. I had a friend who went and thought it was "fun but not brilliant". Her 5 year old was fine watching it, however he has an affinity for anything with swords in it and does not scare easy.

I will report in once we make it to the movie.

Melanie
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I saw it early Saturday morning and came directly home and purchased the soundtrack off of iTunes. Love the music!

As for the film, what a beautiful, beautiful movie. I kept thinking back to the very first time I saw Pocahontas and how back then I thought it was such a visually gorgeous film, and then today how far animation has come to create such realistic scenes. Many times it was hard to tell the difference, and for that reason, I can imagine some parts of this movie would be very intense and scary for kids. I can't gauge as well anymore since my boys are older, but I would advise pre-sreening for parents. And the movie definitely earns it's PG rating, not just with the violence. I thought it was funny that this Disney/Pixar went a little bit further with some other aspects to earn that PG rating than other Disney/Pixar before it. Funny though!

The story is not a new one, but the way they went about telling it is definitely unique. Merida makes a great new Disney Princess. :thumbsup: Look forward to owning it on DVD.

joanna71985
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I've seen the movie 3 times so far (including twice the first day), and will definitely be seeing it again! I LOVE the movie. It's a cute story, awesome animation, and I love the music.

Melanie
06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Oh, and I was with others who didn't want to stay and missed the extra at the end. I'm assuming the extra isn't the tribute to Steve Jobs right (which by the way, totally made me teary)?

Can someone spoiler tag the extra for me? :D

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
We are going see it one day this week. Glad to see it's getting good reviews here on Intercot! Can't wait!

joanna71985
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Oh, and I was with others who didn't want to stay and missed the extra at the end. I'm assuming the extra isn't the tribute to Steve Jobs right (which by the way, totally made me teary)?

Can someone spoiler tag the extra for me? :D

I hope I do this right:

The extra is the crow dropping off all the wood carvings. The sleeping guard is out front (the one who the triplets chopped off part of his mustache).

Melanie
06-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Perfect!

Thank you Joanna!!!:thumbsup:

Suz36
06-27-2012, 10:54 PM
We just saw Brave tonight, and I absolutely loved it! It was absolutely stunning - I forgot it was an animated film during some parts! It really got to me as a mother - I bawled through most of it, and as soon as it was over called my mother and told her we were taking her to see it. I feel like I should email every woman I know and tell them to take their daughter or mother to see it. What a beautiful, beautiful movie. And to all the guys reading this, my husband really liked it, too. I heard him laughing out loud quite a few times throughout.

Suz36
06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I have to say, after seeing the movie, I'm REALLY disappointed in the lame promos. There's one where Merida is doing a voice-over while there are some scenes from the movie, and it's just so 80s.

They could be doing so much more with the marketing of this film. I'm a little worried.

My husband and I were talking about this, and actually I was very pleased that they didn't give more of the story line away with the promos. It may not be the best move for the company, but for the consumer, I think it made for a more enjoyable viewing experience. It was nice for a change to not know the whole storyline ahead of time! But I have to admit I'm not exactly impartial - I'd have seen it no matter what just because it was Disney, so the marketing job was an easy sell for me.

Aurora
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
No, I agree with you. I didn't mean the content of the promos, just the style of some of the TV spots. Like this one (I think I'm allowed to post this):

http://disney.go.com/brave/?cmp=SYN|brv|Brv|MovCatNew|Spotlight4Pack||052212| merida2||synMovInHomeM|#/videos/merida/

Just my opinion. I thought the theatrical trailers were fine.

joanna71985
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Perfect!

Thank you Joanna!!!:thumbsup:

You're welcome :)

lettripp
06-28-2012, 09:49 PM
My husband and I just got back from seeing it. It really was a beautiful movie. The humor was great... the characters were very well developed...

I enjoyed it, but some of the story felt very rushed IMO. I guess it is a good sign, because I wanted more depth into some events, but because I felt they graced over really important plot points, it isn't one of my favorite Pixar creations. To be honest, though, I think they raised the bar so high with movies like Up and Wall-e, that my expectations seem unrealistic for every movie they make. It WAS good... just not AS good as I hoped...

Overall it was a good movie experience. I don't mean to be so negative... I thought the visual and sound experiences were superior to such a point that it overshadows my frustrations with the story. As for the frightening parts - When I was a kid, I would have been screaming scared... but then again the Haunted Mansion did that to me until I was a teenager so I suppose it depends on the child.

Side note: Merida is my doppleganger and I can't wait to get a picture with her when we go in two weeks!

Dixie Springs
06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I think any low ratings on this film are due to the high bar Pixar has set. If this thing came out with no Pixar history, all critics would be gushing. I believe it's being rated on a 'Pixar scale', which is head and shoulders above everything else. Sort of like we Disnerds would complain about something at WDW, with the understanding that it's still better than anyone else's stuff.

Quadstriker
07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Went in with incredibly lofty expectations.

Animation was great.

Character of Merida was great.

The story was mediocre - but it's hard to do a story like this with no main villain. It was serviceable but nothing special.

The message to young girls was good.

Overall it gets a B.

Katzateer
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Saw Brave today - enjoyed but not going to be on my list of favorites. LOVED the short before the movie and some of the previews look awesome. Especially The Hobbit!!:cloud9:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
We saw Brave on the weekend, and I love it!!! I expected to like it, but not to love it ... I bought the soundtrack immedately.

I did turn to DH in the middle and whisper "Pixar is growing up", there were some very "grown-up" parts, but I really did enjoy it ... another hit in my books.

Now, DD refused to see it (since she was still mad I wouldn't let her see The Hunger Games), so I'll be buying it on DVD/BluRay too.

TheVBs
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
We saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it! I can understand the "fun but not brilliant" report someone else gave. It didn't exactly "wow" us, but we still loved it. Fell in love with the characters, the visuals and the music. I'd like to get the soundtrack too! And I also agree with being left wanting a little more. Left before the clip at the end, didn't think they'd have one!

Mickey'sGirl
07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
We saw Brave on the weekend, and we all really enjoyed it. I went with low expectations (based on reviews and fan reaction). I thought the story was fabulous, the characters were strong, and the beautiful sequence between Merida and her Mother after the change was old time Disney magic. 8 very enthusiastic thumbs up from our crew. :thumbsup:

laprana
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I saw Brave on the 4th and loved it! The animation was breathtaking...some scenes looked absolutely real, like the very opening part when you see the trees and Scottish countryside. Gorgeous! Loved the story, too. Made me get teary-eyed several times, but there were also some very funny parts. I could definintely see how some kids would get scared in parts...in fact, one little girl (looked to be about 2 years old, 3 tops) was taken out of the theater by her mom because she was screaming at the top of her lungs during one of the darker, scarier parts. Other kids in the theater, though, sat through the whole thing just fine.