PDA

View Full Version : New laundry routine...grrrrrr venting

Disney4us2
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Went to do laundry today and the water is just trickling out into the machine and it is HOT. I had to keep filling up pitchers from the sink with cold water to put into the washing machine. This is getting old very quickly.

The city is fixing a leak in a water main on our street and had to turn the water off for an hour. There is a lot of air and discolored water when turning on the faucets. Hopefully it will all resolve. The machine was working just fine before they were working on the street. UGH...:mad:

minnie04
06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a great reason to put off :laundry: for another day... Don't stress it. If they are working on it just wait it out. This way your clothes won't get ruined :mickey:

NewDVCowner
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
If the water is discolored when it's first used I'd recommend running an empty washer once just to get all that crude out of the lines before putting you clothes in there.

Scott C
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
On many machines there are filters where the water (hot and cold) connects to the machine -- those could be clogged causing your reduced water flow. There could have been some stuff dislodged during the work. You might check your manual.

It does not make sense that you would have good water at the sink and not at the washer otherwise.

Good Luck
Scott C

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
You need to flush the hoses that are connected to your washer. There are screens on the washer end of the hose so that debris doesn't get in to the machines. Take them off and run water from your sink, once you've flushed your pipes, in the hoses to get any debris that the screens might have caught.

Good luck.

Disney4us2
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the hoses this morning. There are no screens/filters at the end of the hoses where they connect to the pipes. They did look gross though. This machine is way over than 21 years old. My mom bought this machine and she has been gone for 21 years now. Guess it is time for a new machine.

Any recommendations for a top loader? I just need the basic washing cycles etc., nothing fancy. Going to check out Lowes/ Sears/ Best Buy.

dnickels
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
If you want a new washer anyway then by all means get one, but given everything that you've described there is almost certainly a screen that's clogged in there somewhere so if it otherwise has worked fine then buying a new washing machine because the feed line is plugged up is kind of like buying a new car because the old one got a flat tire. Check for the model numbers on it and see if you can pull up a manual online to see where it might be or plug in the model and 'plugged screen' into Google.

Disney4us2
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Well after my countless trips to the sink to fill up the machine and then checking the hoses. Couldn't see any clogs where they connect, but the looked really gross and yucky.

We went the next day and got a washer. Went with another Whirlpool. This time we got the HE machine. It was delievered this morning and wow, what a difference. The water just flowed in all temp settings. I have never been so excited to do laundry...lol

The other machine was a dinosaur, close to 25 or 30 years old. The agitator didn't work properly and I don't even know if they make hoses for machines that old.

Just glad it was not a plumbing problem as well. Now back to washing.:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
At least you got your monies worth out of the old machine! And it's exciting that you have a new one and look forward to doing laundry! I thought I needed a new one a few months ago but I just needed the line snaked out thank goodness.