PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP - Is it worth the price

MickeyFanKY
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Taking my 14yr old DS to WDW in Oct. :cloud9:We are thinking about purchasing tickets for MNSSHP. Is the extra cost worth it?

Thanks in advance

BugeyedMuggy
06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
We have been to the party a few times. We love Halloween and dressing up so it was alot of fun for us. We don't go every year but if you have never been I feel it is a must do if you have the finances. It is getting more crowded each year but the fireworks and the parade are worth it at least once. If you have been to the Christmas party we like the Halloween party much better.

Pirate Granny
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
When I go with friends, mostly every year, they purchase one less day at the park...we usually go to the water park, come home catch our breath, change into our costumes and are at the gate at 4pm. Dinner ADR at tony's, LTT or Plaza for 4:15 I've gone almost every year for the past ten years. This year I'm going in October so maybe it will be more crowded...usually go in last September.

Briansmom
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
We have gone the last two years and are going again in September. We LOVE the parade and the fireworks and the dance party with Woody and Jesse is really cool! We like all the special effects and the special photo pass opportunities as well as the 'special' guests that come out around the Haunted Mansion. It's just a different aspect of WDW for us and we love it!

Main Street Jim
06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
For the Halloween parties - yes :)

Halloween parade, trick-or-treating throughout the park, fireworks, Villains meet 'n greets and Castle shows, spooky stuff all over...

You can get into the park as early as 4:00pm with *just* your MNSSHP tickets, although "activities" don't start until about 7:00pm when day guests are leaving.

My suggestion, like Pirate Granny says, purchase one less day in the parks on your park tickets. Use that day as your "souvenir-shopping/water park/relax at the hotel pool and drink" day, plan a dinner at Tony's, Crystal Palace, or Liberty Tree Tavern, then enjoy the festivities :) Usually two parades; go to the second one at about 10:15. It's a lot less crowded, as most families with little ones will watch the first parade. Make sure to have your photo AND video cameras ready for the Ride of the Headless Horseman! :thumbsup:

Wolf
06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
When I go with friends, mostly every year, they purchase one less day at the park...we usually go to the water park, come home catch our breath, change into our costumes and are at the gate at 4pm. Dinner ADR at tony's, LTT or Plaza for 4:15 I've gone almost every year for the past ten years. This year I'm going in October so maybe it will be more crowded...usually go in last September.

Thats kinda our exact plan for this year LOL I like your style, lady!

Wolf
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I would for sure recomend the Halloween party, we have gone to 5 or 6 and absolutely LOVE them, the parade is so amazing its crazy!! Also be sure to ride Haunted Mansion, its so neat how the characters are sooo much more in character for the parties! I love it and wouldn't ever miss it if I had the opportunity!! I'd also suggest dressing up on something not terribly constricting (You need to still be able to ride things) but its so fun either way!!

MrPeetrie
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Of all the things we do at WDW, the MNSSHP is our favorite. The atmosphere is amazing. We wouldn't think of missing.

Like most others have said, we usually take the afternoon to either swim or shop at DTD. Then we "power shnooze" for about 45 minutes at the resort. Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe then boat ride (kids in costume) to the gate. It's a great evening. I'm getting excited thinking about it. Going back is September.!!!

Minnie97
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
The MNSSHP is probrably myn favorite Holiday at disney we have been about 3 or 4 times. And absolutly love it:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Its just DW and I . We went the 1st time in 2009, and again in 2010. Unusual for us to go 2 yrs in a row, but we had just joined DVC and had to use our points.
The 1st time we did not know what to expect, but we were both pleasantly enjoying the party. Even so, we had missed alot of good stuff. When we returned the following year, we knew better and had a real blast.
We enjoyed ourselve so much that this year, we are doing it again, and bringing DWs side of the family with us.
Is it worth it???
HECK YEAH!!!

emerzmom
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Another YES vote here. We love this party! I doubt you will leave this event regretting your decision!
Have fun!
:pumpkin::mickey::pumpkin:
Julie

joonyer
06-07-2012, 01:45 PM
We have been to MSSSHP three times, and loved it every time. That being said, since we have already experienced it several times, we would probably forgo it on our next fall visit because of the price. But if we had never gone before, I would say it is worth the price to experience at least once. Know what I mean? If you have never been, I would say it's worth the money to experience at least once. After that you can decide how often to do it again.

Imalismom
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
We went last year, and after the fireworks, DD was able to go on every ride she wanted to with no line (even splash mountain and Peter Pan) ~ that alone made it worth it... The trick or treating was fun for alll of us also... We did not need all that candy though :mickey: ended up giving most of it away....

K8screen
06-08-2012, 08:34 AM
i probably shouldnt say this here, PLEASE dont shoot me, I LOVE WDW honest!! but I think your 14 year old, unless she is very timid, might get more enjoyment from Universal Horror Nights. I would never advise this for younger kids, or older folk, but for teenagers, just maybe??

mydisneygirls
06-08-2012, 08:46 AM
I second Jooyner - if you haven't been it's worth it to experience. When DD's were younger, they really enjoyed it and I did too. But now that the price is so high, I just can't afford to take them anymore. :sad:

venture4th
06-14-2012, 02:47 AM
My sister and I saw it last October and loved it! The best place to see the parade is in Frontierland, the fireworks best placeseems to be near the front of the castle. If you're going ,definitely buy the tickets ahead of time and save money. Have Fun!

disneynarula
06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I am trying to decide the same thing. I am really torn as the tickets are really expesive.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
For the Halloween parties - yes :)

Halloween parade, trick-or-treating throughout the park, fireworks, Villains meet 'n greets and Castle shows, spooky stuff all over...

You can get into the park as early as 4:00pm with *just* your MNSSHP tickets, although "activities" don't start until about 7:00pm when day guests are leaving.

My suggestion, like Pirate Granny says, purchase one less day in the parks on your park tickets. Use that day as your "souvenir-shopping/water park/relax at the hotel pool and drink" day, plan a dinner at Tony's, Crystal Palace, or Liberty Tree Tavern, then enjoy the festivities :) Usually two parades; go to the second one at about 10:15. It's a lot less crowded, as most families with little ones will watch the first parade. Make sure to have your photo AND video cameras ready for the Ride of the Headless Horseman! :thumbsup:

:exactly:Couldn't have said it better. A must do for our family

LandFan
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Can't wait to see it this fall! We've done MVMCP 3 times now but have never been to MNSSHP... Totally excited! Only 99 days :cloud9:

DVC2004
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't know you said your child was 14? My teens (13 and 15, both boys) do NOT want to go to MNSSHP. Now they love Disney and the parks, but have no interest in MNSSHP. We did take them once when they were smaller and they enjoyed trick or treating and the parade. Now, mine are into haunted houses and we go to Halloween Horror Nights over at Universal (an intense experience). They specifically ask not to go to MNSSHP. We took them to HHN for the first time last year (12 and 14)- but they have already experienced haunted houses at home so we thought they were finally ready.We had been before as a couple without the kids because they were too little to go. It's intense and sometimes gorey, so just warning you. We're fine with it but some people would not be.

You know your child and what they like, so if they are into a more "whimsical" experience then yes. If not, then I would skip it.

Ms. Mode
06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
DH & I are going on our first solo trip this fall and MNSSHP is top of the list...never done it...can't wait! :mickey:

MarkC
06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Your question is "is it worth the price". I don't know. Its very expensive anymore. We've done and glad we did, but that was a few years ago. Since everyone's finances are a personal matter I can't answer that. However, if they are at all a concern (which they are for most of us on here) I would lean more toward the "no" end of it. That's not that I don't think you would love it, but is it worth well over $100 just for two of you? That's something only you can answer.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade who posted that they loved it-- I'm just responding directly to the specific question posted.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I loved it and I don't even have any kids! Yes, it's expensive but it's so worth it. The atmosphere, the characters, the trick or treating which even adults can do. So much fun!!

Christine
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Absolutely worth it!

A few years back I was disappointed with the no-name oddball candy they were giving out. But last year it was back to M&M's, milky way, nestle crunch, skittles, etc. I was a happy Mary Poppins! :thumbsup:

The parade is absolutely fantastic...one of the few 'interactive' parades left. The walking characters are fabulous and will talk and shake hands.

The fireworks are something else...probably my favorite soundtrack of a show.

The CMs seem to really enjoy the feel of the night...always fun to see them interact with the costumed guests.

The special effects of fog and lighting make for a festive atmosphere.

We have already booked two parties for this year. Cantgetenuff can't get enough MNSSHPs! :number1:

Kenny1113
06-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Absolutely worth it!

A few years back I was disappointed with the no-name oddball candy they were giving out. But last year it was back to M&M's, milky way, nestle crunch, skittles, etc. I was a happy Mary Poppins! : ...

I was disappointed in this as well. Glad to hear they are back!

CanadaLovesDisney
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Sooooooo worth it!!

Even for adults. The parade doesn't compare and we aren't parade people!!!:mickey:

DisneyFr33k
06-30-2012, 08:45 AM
For a 14 year old, no, it isn't worth the price IMOP. We went twice when our kids were under 10 and it was OK. The second time we went it was to see if we were wrong about our first visit and to see if they changed anything. They didn't and we were unimpressed both times. The parade was good, though. If kids are really little, they might really like it and it might be worth the price. However, they tend to tire out early too, which pulls you away early from the parade. So, I guess it is up to each person.

disneynarula
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I have reasearched this and I just can't see how it could be worth it. It would be close to $300 for our family. For a parade... and candy?

DisneyFr33k
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I have reasearched this and I just can't see how it could be worth it. It would be close to $300 for our family. For a parade... and candy?

That's what we thought too.

wdw dude
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Actually, you can watch the parade on youtube.

:mickey:

Disney-4-Me
07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
We went to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party for the first time in 2002 and have been back every year. This will be our 11th trip. It's my favorite time of year at Disney World. We all dress in Disney themed costumes. Dress up to have the most fun. I have the best laughs watching other adults in their costumes. One of the best I've seen was a Maxi Mouse!

Be a kid no matter what your age!:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, really, it's not "just a parade and candy".

It's *atmosphere*. It's ghosts flying up and down Main Street, USA. It's seeing the Headless Horseman ride through Liberty Square - horsehoes a'sparkin' on the pavement. It's riding the Haunted Mansion *at midnight* - on Halloween night.

It's characters out and about that you don't normally see, like the Villains.

It's "Happy Hallo-Wishes".

The parade *is* a big part of it. You can't see the Boo-to-You Halloween parade *in person*, except *at* the Parties - unlike the Christmas parade, which runs as the "afternoon parade" parade in the park (and "regular" - non-party - guests can see with their regular park ticket).

It's Trick-or-Treating in the Magic Kingdom - Alice's Treat Trail; Max's Pit Stop; Country Bears; Pirates; Buzz LIghtyear; and all of the other candy locations. I think the last year I worked a Party, there were like 14 candy locations. You can't Trick-or-Treat like that at home ;)

My son went to MNSSHP back in 2002 - as a Tower of Terror FastPass machine.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Fantasmic
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM
I feel that the parade is worth the price of the ticket alone!
I am not one for parades either, but MNSSHP is just so special!!!

TIGGER17179
07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Okay here is another question for you. I'm going on my Honeymoon the 2nd week of October. My new to be DH has not been and I don't want to overwhelm him with trying to do everything in one trip. He doesn't like to be in crowds for very long, so I'm hoping the crowd will not be too bad during the day at this time. He is okay for a little bit but gets a little ancy after awhile. On top of the extra cost ( we are already splurging for the BCR and the DDP) do you think I should still try to do this? How are the crowds?

Tigerinvestigator
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Loved the atmosphere in the MNSSHP. The headless horseman was enough to make me want to go back. Hallowishes was pretty good as well.:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Okay here is another question for you. I'm going on my Honeymoon the 2nd week of October. My new to be DH has not been and I don't want to overwhelm him with trying to do everything in one trip. He doesn't like to be in crowds for very long, so I'm hoping the crowd will not be too bad during the day at this time. He is okay for a little bit but gets a little ancy after awhile. On top of the extra cost ( we are already splurging for the BCR and the DDP) do you think I should still try to do this? How are the crowds?What I would recommend, is *don't* go to a park - any park - during the day. Take a day off to shop, relax at the pool, have a drink or two, Ghirardelli's, etc. :thumbsup: Use your "party day" *just* for the party. You can get into the park as early as 4:00pm with JUST your party tickets (not your park tickets). That will give you about three hours or so to hit a few of the bigger rides while the day-guest crowds are dying down for the evening, and the "crowds" for the party shouldn't be too bad in the middle of the month. *If* you guys can make it that long, I'd also recommend watching the fireworks at about 9:30, then seeing the second parade of the evening at about 10:15-10:30. Crowds are much lower later in the evening. ;)

Must-dos at the party: Haunted Mansion, trick-or-treating, Fireworks, Headless Horseman, Parade, Villains Castle show :)

Try and save the Mansion for the very last ride of the night at midnight! ;)

Wolf
07-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Please don't take this wrong but you're totally wrong about this party, its not even about candy, yeah the parade is EPIC but the atmosphere, its hard to describe, its foggy and soo cool! There are tons of characters out in Halloween costumes, the decor is super awesome, just everything about it is so detailed and amazing!!! I know everyone has different opinions on things but I just wanted you to for sure know its not just MK with the lights dimmed, its so much more than that I promise!

Wolf
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
What I would recommend, is *don't* go to a park - any park - during the day. Take a day off to shop, relax at the pool, have a drink or two, Ghirardelli's, etc. :thumbsup: Use your "party day" *just* for the party. You can get into the park as early as 4:00pm with JUST your party tickets (not your park tickets). That will give you about three hours or so to hit a few of the bigger rides while the day-guest crowds are dying down for the evening, and the "crowds" for the party shouldn't be too bad in the middle of the month. *If* you guys can make it that long, I'd also recommend watching the fireworks at about 9:30, then seeing the second parade of the evening at about 10:15-10:30. Crowds are much lower later in the evening. ;)

Must-dos at the party: Haunted Mansion, trick-or-treating, Fireworks, Headless Horseman, Parade, Villains Castle show :)

Try and save the Mansion for the very last ride of the night at midnight! ;)

That is our exact plan!! :party: :bat: