PDA

View Full Version : Snakes and gators in the park

ransam
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm just curious about something.

I am sure that being in Florida, snakes and gators are all over the Disney Area. I would assume in the more less populated, wild areas.
At least i hope....lol

But as anyone actually had an experience w/ a Snake or gator in an actual park or resort area (lakes not included).

thanks.

joonyer
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I have seen a snake or two crossing the road in Fort Wilderness. Haven't ever seen one at a hotel, but I'm sure they are around. WDW was built in what you would basically consider a swamp. Critters are everywhere, but they do a good job keeping human contact with the dangerous and scary ones to a minimum.

MariMouse
06-04-2012, 11:31 AM
We have not seen any gators, but have seen snakes--one near Pirates and one at CSR. I think they do a good job of keeping the wild life at bay!

disneydeb
06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
... let's not forget bear in the Lake Mary area...;)

Ms. Mode
06-04-2012, 11:47 AM
We saw a gator in one of the ponds outside of the resort once. We were on the bus and the bus driver pointed it out. I believe we were staying at POP that time. :thumbsup:

mermaidmarian
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I've seen plenty of snakes over the years. Closest and most startling encounter(s) were both at the water parks; once at Typhoon Lagoon heading toward the stairs at the Crush-n-Gusher, I practically stepped on a black snake that was about an inch in diameter and another time in a similar setting at Blizzard Beach heading toward the stairs to the Runoff Rapids slides.

No gators.

Stu29573
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Ok, its time for my Disney gator story! Yea!:thumbsup:

Here goes: About ten years ago I was at the Magic Kingdom with my wife early one morning. We caught the first ride of the day on the Liberty Belle (which I recommend, by the way) and as we were peacfully cruising along a gator swam up beside the boat. It was a pretty big one, between three and four feet long. Anyway, there was a couple next to us watching it and the wife said "Is that a real alligator???" The husband laughed and said "Of course not, this is Disney!" They actually thought it was part of the ride!

By the way, I told the CM on the bank about it when we got off and he said that he would call animal control. Apparently they get into the Rivers of America overnight and have to be removed...

faline
06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
On one trip, we saw a gator several times hanging around just under the boardwalk by Frontierland - pretty good sized critter as well.

The last time we stayed at Coronado Springs a gator came swimming up to the ouside lounge area and hung around in that general area for a while - probably a regular as folks were feeding him.

On our trip last month, we saw a gator twice - once one swam by by waterway (We were at the Beach Club) behind the bus stop and another day we saw - probably the same one - in a different area of the waterway over by the Beach Club building.

I don't recall seeing any snakes - have seen otters, armadillos, deer, lots of lizards, a huge owl, and a bald eagle.

Stu29573
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't recall seeing any snakes - have seen otters, armadillos, deer, lots of lizards, a huge owl, and a bald eagle.

Us too! And bunnies! We see tons of bunnies! lol

faline
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Us too! And bunnies! We see tons of bunnies! lol

Forgot about the bunnies - they seemed to be everywhere on our most recent trip!!

Dulcee
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Many years ago on a trip with my parents we were staying Club level at the Poly. All of a sudden from our room we heard a women screaming, everyone rushes out and there is this snake slithering down the hall.

I kid you not when I tell you a man came running out of a room in his boxers with a gun.

Me, being the little know it all naturalist at the ripe old age of about 10 proceeded to pick it up and inform everyone it was a harmless garter snake. The receptionist women working club level even got me a balloon for saving the floor. :D

My family still talks about that one a good 16 years later.

Tygger7
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Our most recent encounter was on our last trip to WL in 2010. We were waiting at the dock for the boat to MK and noticed something moving in the water. When we looked closer, there was a small gator (about 4-6 feet long) swimming about 15 ft.' from the side of the dock, just about 5 ft. from the shore. (And I have a couple of pictures, but can't figure out how to put them in this post.) When the boat arrived, another lady mentioned the gator to the boat captain and he said, "Oh yea, we see 'em all the time." (The captain also said he'd seen deer & large predator cats swimming across to Discovery Island.)

Later that night, we were sitting on the beach at WL watching the electric light parade and a couple was letting their small children (looked to be 3-4 years old) lean over the small edge wall to splash & play in the lake. A gentleman sitting near us politely told the couple that it wasn't safe to let the kids that close to the water, especially in the dark, due to gators. The couple laughed and said, "oh yeah, right...". At that point, I said, "Sir, excuse me but this isn't a joke or exaggeration. We saw a gator over by the boat dock earlier today." And what did the father do/say? "Oh well." :shake:

Mousemates
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
1. Gators - we have seen two small gators at WDW, one was from the walkway looking down into lake at Coronado Springs, the other was while paddle boating at Caribbean Beach.

2. Snakes have been a bit more freqeunt though all but one have along the road...but the one that wasn't was inside the park (in some foilage by the sidewalk) at Typhoon Lagoon.

buzznwoodysmom
06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
We've seen gators in the lake by Shades of Green. They always seem to have a gator in that lake.

We've also encountered a few snakes. The first time was at CBR, there were several snakes swimming in the lake. We saw them while walking from the pirate room section to Old Port Royal just about every day. They appeared to be water moccasins, although we couldn't be 100% sure since we weren't close enough. I also know of a little boy who was bit by a water moccasin at CBR. He dropped his Buzz Lightyear toy near the landscaping at the bus stop. When he reached down to get it something bit him. His dad then saw the snake and called 911.

We also had a long, black snake in the pool at POR. We had just arrived in WDW. We had dinner at the foodcourt at POR, then went meet my SIL and her family at the pool. My kids were in the pool for a few minutes when we heard shouting about the snake. The CMs got the snake out and everyone continued swimming.

kakn7294
06-04-2012, 02:30 PM
We have seen several snakes, the largest being black snake of around 4 ft slithering across the main path into Typhoon Lagoon. The smallest was a tiny baby - a 3 inch garter snake at CSR. There were several small ones - a foot or so, at OKW a few years back. For years now, I have searched high and low for a gator (yes, I want to see one) and finally saw one sunning himself last year in the pond near the alternate entrance to DHS. He was probably between 3 - 4 ft. Last year, I was wading in the lagoon at the Poly after dark one night and scared myself silly at the thought that a gator was going to come nibbling on my toes. I don't want to get THAT close!

olivegirl
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
We have seen many snakes at POP! I especially have seen them on my early morning walks. Also we have seen a small gator in Hourglass Lake at POP. In August my DD and I rented a sea racer in Disney and on the banks of the Lagoon there was about a 4 foot gator resting!!

egospotter
06-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Saw a small-ish gator in Animal Kingdom in the river around the tree of life. We had a small debate about whether or not it was supposed to be there - after all it is Animal Kingdom. :)

elmjimmlm
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
We were staying at ASM and were walking to tge pool after dark and a snake was laying on the sidewalk in front of us...A little girl was ahead of us and almost stepped on it! I can't stand snakes!!!

tiggerbuddy
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Saw one by the Liberty Belle too !!

We caught the first ride of the day on the Liberty Belle (which I recommend, by the way) and as we were peacfully cruising along a gator swam up beside the boat.

Dopey's Girl
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
While I have never seen one myself, I have to say if my Dad could ever see a gator on Disney property (that wasn't on the Safari or Jungle Cruise), he would agree to far more trips. He's absolutely facinated by those critters!

Lots of snakes though...just about stepped on one coming back from the bus late at night in January. I'm generally not afraid of them, but this one kinda snuck up on me and made me shreek a bit.:blush:

AnnaMom
06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Have seen acouple of snakes on different trips once at Port Orleans French Quarter at the bus stop & once at CBR sunning along the lake.

MargaretMessler
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Saw a couple of gators sunbathing along the side of the one the highways on Disney property once, don't remember which one. That's about it. A snake here and there over the years. Oh, and we had a tiny lizard running amuck in our hotel room one year at CBR. It was harmless, but I thought we would destroy the room trying to catch and evict it.:laughing:

ransam
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
That's it, never going back.

darthmacho
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
We didn't see it, but when we stayed at Coronado Springs in 1999, there were some Cast Members investigating a gator sighting near where we were walking by one of the canals. I was both intrigued and concerned, but nothing came of it.

In 2003, however, an armadillo ran right past us along a path at All Star Music, and my DD (2yo at the time) dubbed it "Baby Dillo".

Other wildlife we've encountered have been the usual lizards and birds, as well as bunnies, deer, and my favorite, Baby Ducks! :mickey:

wdw dude
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
A few years ago I saw a very large snake on the walkway between the Boardwalk and Studios. Talk about :eek: ! And it wasn't one of those animatronic ones either!!

:mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I feel so left out all I have ever seen are the flying squirrels at CBR.:mickey::mickey::chip::dale::dale:

waymickey
06-04-2012, 09:27 PM
That's it, never going back.

:laughing:

We saw a gator in the MK in the water between TSI and Country Bears. A CM was watching it and waiting for animal control to come and pick him up.
I have never seen a snake, but have seen: rabbits, armadillo, Bald Eagle, lizards by the ton and one very very very big Spider. This spider was at the Boardwalk and was yellow and black and as big as a mans hand. I had a real hard time sleeping the rest of the trip after seeing it.

Main Street Jim
06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
The Rivers of America in Frontierland were *notorious* for 'gators, especially when the Turkey Leg wagon was right there across from Pecos Bill's.

When I worked at Splash in 2003-4, we actually had a "Gator Watch" position. Why? Because guests couldn't stop feeding the gators :/ They'd hang out under the boardwalk behind the Turkey wagon for obvious reasons.

We captured (and released on another part of the property, far away from the parks) a NINE-FOOT, 600+lb gator in 2003, in the retention pond right behind Thunder's maintenance building.

When I was on the Tom Sawyer rafts, we were crossing the river - *with guests* - and a 5-footer swam right alongside my raft, almost close enough for guests to actually touch the thing. "Ooooooo, it looks just like a real alligator!" :secret: "It is, lady...it is." :thumbsup:

On the steam trains, going down between Frontierland and ToonTown stations, there's a canal that runs along the back of the park. We'd see 'em in there all the time, along with deer - that wouldn't get out of the way until we got right to 'em. And no, not the "animatronic" kind, either...LOL :D

06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I think it was last summer, they all kind of run together after awhile, we had a water moccasin between the turnstiles and bag check at MK one afternoon. Some of the managers / coordinators put boxes around it to ring it in until animal control got there.

One of the managers thought he was going to catch it with his trash picker, got in the ring of boxes, tried to grab it and that sucker started chasing after him. Never saw him run so fast getting out of there. He's never even thought of trying that again.

j2k
06-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I will be on the lookout while there in August.

AmandaChan
06-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Ok, its time for my Disney gator story! Yea!:thumbsup:

Here goes: About ten years ago I was at the Magic Kingdom with my wife early one morning. We caught the first ride of the day on the Liberty Belle (which I recommend, by the way) and as we were peacfully cruising along a gator swam up beside the boat. It was a pretty big one, between three and four feet long. Anyway, there was a couple next to us watching it and the wife said "Is that a real alligator???" The husband laughed and said "Of course not, this is Disney!" They actually thought it was part of the ride!

By the way, I told the CM on the bank about it when we got off and he said that he would call animal control. Apparently they get into the Rivers of America overnight and have to be removed...

now I'm just going to be looking for gators the whole time I ride that again.

Mickey'sGirl
06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
We have seen a gator outside of the parks in one of the ponds along the roadways. I don't mind them there so much! :thumbsup:

We saw deer on the grassy area near the parking lot at the Trasportation Center as we were leaving the Magic Kingdom to go to Old Key West one evening.

We saw a huge black snake at the Lighthouse pool at OKW a couple of years ago. It left quickly ... and so did I! I don't care for snakes at all!

I like seeing the ducks. Ducks are more my speed.

Disney Crazy
06-05-2012, 10:46 AM
We saw a black snake in the foliage at Typhoon Lagoon. He was trying to get up the courage to cross the sidewalk. I am not sure if he was scared or if the sidewalk was too hot! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
On one trip, we saw a gator several times hanging around just under the boardwalk by Frontierland - pretty good sized critter as well.

The last time we stayed at Coronado Springs a gator came swimming up to the ouside lounge area and hung around in that general area for a while - probably a regular as folks were feeding him.

On our trip last month, we saw a gator twice - once one swam by by waterway (We were at the Beach Club) behind the bus stop and another day we saw - probably the same one - in a different area of the waterway over by the Beach Club building.

Oh my, that's bad. You should never, never feed an alligator. Not only is it illegal, it makes them lose their fear of man and thus makes them a danger.

PlutoPlanet
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
No gator sightings, thankfully. I did see a small green snake at a water park. He seemed more scared of me than I was of him.

disneykid99
06-05-2012, 01:53 PM
We saw a gator in 2010 in AK. No - not on an attraction :) but swimming in that river that goes around AK (I do not know the rivers name). We were sitting at some tables off the beaten path in Africa I think. It swam right up to the dock area where we were. It was small only about 3ft or so long. It was a real thrill for my kids then 10 and 7 :mickey:

Fun Post! Thank you!

Disdad13
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Last fall we were walking in the shrub maze in the UK pavillion in Epcot and there was about a 3 foot black snake sunning on top of one of the shrubs making up the maze. We watched it for several minutes, directing others who were walking thru the maze around that section while my DS went to alert a cast member. A couple years prior to that, we were having lunch at Flame Tree in AK and were eating in that little eating area right on the lake and there was a small 2-3 foot gator there in water. Some kids were dropping food to the very large turtles that were there in the lake, and the gator was right there with them.

Wolf
06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
:laughing:

We saw a gator in the MK in the water between TSI and Country Bears. A CM was watching it and waiting for animal control to come and pick him up.
I have never seen a snake, but have seen: rabbits, armadillo, Bald Eagle, lizards by the ton and one very very very big Spider. This spider was at the Boardwalk and was yellow and black and as big as a mans hand. I had a real hard time sleeping the rest of the trip after seeing it.

I know this won't comfort you much cause they are massive but those huge black and yellow spiders are actually harmless. They live outside our front porch every 2-3 years for a few months, they terrified me as a kid but then I looked them up and they just eat nasty buggies so we leave them alone now, once I read how many mosquitos and other nasties they eat the spider developed abit of charm lol

Stu29573
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I know this won't comfort you much cause they are massive but those huge black and yellow spiders are actually harmless. They live outside our front porch every 2-3 years for a few months, they terrified me as a kid but then I looked them up and they just eat nasty buggies so we leave them alone now, once I read how many mosquitos and other nasties they eat the spider developed abit of charm lol

Yeah, we always called them "garden spiders." I'm not sure what their real name is.

texas211
06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Seen snakes at the resorts. But, I was playing golf at Osprey Ridge... Big gator down where my ball was... I elected to donate the 5 dollar ball to him, and stroke, and drop further away.

Nascfan
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Seen snakes at the resorts. But, I was playing golf at Osprey Ridge... Big gator down where my ball was... I elected to donate the 5 dollar ball to him, and stroke, and drop further away.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a "gator drop" is a stroke penalty. :D

faline
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Probably a wise choice! ;)

HackLaSalle
06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
:( As someone who has Ophidiophobia this is the worst thread ever :(

Wolf
06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

I don't know what that means but if you really want to be creeped out, go read the bed bug thread...You'll itch for a week.

Dragongirlx
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Ophidiophobia - abnormal fear of snakes
I have this too but only learned the real name for it from an episode of Star Trek next gen.

This thread would also be a problem if you suffer from herpetophobia - fear of reptiles/ and or amphibians (Now I am just showing off) :)

homeschool mom
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
On our last trip in May 2010, we stayed at CBR. There was a small (but not baby) gator in the lake, and we also got notification that there was a bear lurking around the resort.

T-Belle
06-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Several years ago I saw a small gator near the water at SOG as we were walking to the Poly. He was just sunning himself on the bank. I've also seen a ferrel cat that lives around the Poly.

TheHD
06-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Ok, I know that the Grand Floridian and I believe the Beach Club has beach front access and I believe that you can even swim in these spots? Am I right? If so, is there some sort of added protection for these areas? Even so, from what I'm hearing, these gators can get just about anywhere. Am I missing something?

faline
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Swimming is not allowed in the lakes at Disney World - there was a time when swimming was allowed but that was years ago.

Gators can swim and walk on land. Disney is vigilant about keeping gators and guests separated but there is only so much that they can do. Over the years, I remember reading a news report about a child that was attacked by a gator in Fort Wilderness - got away aided by other kids who were with him and attacked the gator until he let go and another story about having to close a portion of the Magic Kingdom while a gator strolling around in the area of Splash/Thunder Mountain was rounded up and carted off.

ransam
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
yea, i have a huge fear of snakes. thats why i posted it. mine is more of a phobia. I am actually more afraid of a small grass snake than a huge gator who is much more dangerous, makes no sense, but true. i can't even see a snake in a movie w/o freaking out. (try going through 5 years of boy scouts,w/ numerous campouts, and not telling anyone)
i saw a gator once at space kennedy while walking down a road. i started taking pics and my gf and brother were freaking out and couldn't believe that i was taking pics. I told them he was so close that if he wanted us, nothing we could do he was going to get at least one of us, and i could outrun my gf, so i was fine.

kakn7294
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
So why is it that I WANT to see gators but never do and yet bunches of you see them. I look constantly yet have only seen 1 since 1993. Sadly, I just must not be in the right place at the right time.

joonyer
06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
So why is it that I WANT to see gators but never do and yet bunches of you see them. I look constantly yet have only seen 1 since 1993. Sadly, I just must not be in the right place at the right time.

If you really want to see Gators, make a side trip to Gatorland on your next Orlando vacation. just a short trip from WDW. You'll be able to get your fill of alligators, (and lots of other creatures) all in one day (or less).

Minnie97
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
We saw a small alligator when i was little, It was swimming, but i can't remember where it was. We named it Alli:mickey:

BraddyB
06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think a "gator drop" is a stroke penalty. :D

I heard it wasn't a stroke penalty also, it would just cost you an arm or a leg :gator:

KevMcNJ
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
"Is that a real alligator???" The husband laughed and said "Of course not, this is Disney!" They actually thought it was part of the ride!

When we visited WDW in 1991 we had my then 3 year old niece beleiving that any and all wild animals we saw were "robots"

she couldnt wrap her head around Auido Animatronics so they were all simply robots to her

I remember seeing a cottonmouth when we were camping at Fort Wilderness in the 70s and I also remember seeing an armadillo there too

kakn7294
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
If you really want to see Gators, make a side trip to Gatorland on your next Orlando vacation. just a short trip from WDW. You'll be able to get your fill of alligators, (and lots of other creatures) all in one day (or less).

I don't want to see those gators, I want to see a wild gator. I know, I'm not right.

BraddyB
06-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't want to see those gators, I want to see a wild gator. I know, I'm not right.

You might not have to go Disney to see gators, there were a few sightings last year around Pittsburgh !!!

In 2010 we saw a gator when we stayed at WL. Our room faced the lake and there was an area between the hotel and lake that was a swamp like area, and every morning he was out there to great us. Didn't bother me or my wife, but my parents were in the room next to us and my mom wanted to change rooms. I tried explaining to her that we were on the 6th floor and even the Michael Jordan of alligators don't have hops like that !!!

kakn7294
06-07-2012, 09:53 PM
You might not have to go Disney to see gators, there were a few sightings last year around Pittsburgh !!!

I know, I wanted one of those baby gators that KDKA had on the news. But alas, my family won't let me. *sigh* I still have a picture of one saved on my iPhone - I named him Elvis.

WDW&MK
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
A few years ago when we were staying at POR, we came out of our room and a maintenance worker had a very large black snake held down with a special pole. He was waiting for someone to come with a crate to relocate it. It was just steps outside our door. He seemed pretty used to that kind of thing and almost looked like he was on a break until you saw what the pole was holding down.

I think they do a pretty good job of rounding up the critters and keeping them at bay as best they can.

joonyer
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Ok, then you should try to visit the Okefenokee Swamp or the Everglades. You'll see plenty of alligators in the wild. I hear the Everglades even has pythons now! :)

Wolf
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I love gators, they are really cute if you can get past the "These guys could run off with my foot" kinda thing.

Slightly off topic but on our Oct trip I've posted about the flood, well we opened our door at the poly to let some rain noise and cool air in while we napped one afternood, me and Mom have joked ever since that a racoon probably snuck in and rolled us for loose change but now I'm thinking it mighta been a critter slightly lower to the ground hehe

dnickels
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM

If you'll have a car on your upcoming July trip and you definitely want to see some wild gators head north of Disney to Lakeview Park in Winter Garden or the Oakland Nature Preserve in Oakland. Lakeview Park has a few fishing pier / boardwalk type things that stick out into Lake Apopka and in late July I can't imagine you won't see at least a few alligators out there. I've always seen numerous ones in the warmer months at least. You can also often spot them in many of the smaller ponds among subdivisions in the area but that can be more hit or miss. Go in the morning or evening when winds are calm as that makes their outline easier to spot on the water. :thumbsup:

Quadstriker
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
I rode Pirates with an alligator once.

kakn7294
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Ok, then you should try to visit the Okefenokee Swamp or the Everglades. You'll see plenty of alligators in the wild. I hear the Everglades even has pythons now! :)

If you'll have a car on your upcoming July trip and you definitely want to see some wild gators head north of Disney to Lakeview Park in Winter Garden or the Oakland Nature Preserve in Oakland. Lakeview Park has a few fishing pier / boardwalk type things that stick out into Lake Apopka and in late July I can't imagine you won't see at least a few alligators out there. I've always seen numerous ones in the warmer months at least. You can also often spot them in many of the smaller ponds among subdivisions in the area but that can be more hit or miss. Go in the morning or evening when winds are calm as that makes their outline easier to spot on the water. :thumbsup:

No car so no side trips. My grandparents used to winter in a Kissimmee RV park. I remember fishing with my Pap and a gator that used to follow the boat hoping for a hand-out and an easy meal. There were tons of gators around the lake there.

DVC2004
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Can't say I've ever seen a snake there but have seen several gators. They like to hang out on the edge of Bay Lake in the tall grass. If you look close you can sometimes see them. I saw some by the Wilderness Lodge bank and also in the little channel between Contemporary that connects you to 7 Seas Lagoon. There were small ones. Sometimes if you look close you think it's a piece of wood or a log, etc but you can see their eyes glimmer.

I saw a pretty big one swimming in the Rivers of America at MK. You know , where the Paddelboat runs and TS Island. You couldn't miss him. He was at least 6-7 feet long. Just swimming around like he was right at home. Later that night we were walking on the little wooden walkway on the edge and something beneath a bench in front of us moved- my mom screamed and I instinctively grabbed the backs of the kids shirts (they were walking in front of me) and yanked them backwards with that mom adrenaline- and the two ducks my mom thought was a gator came out from under the bench quacking. I don't know who was scared more, us or them. They took off and we decided to not walk along the "Rivers" any more that night.

Anyway, they caught the gator and relocated to a swamp/preserve area in South FL. They do that quite a bit with the bigger ones they said.

Snow's Mom
06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Small gator under one of the bridges at POR. We were in the section called "Alligator Bayou", so why not?

mouseketeer mom
06-09-2012, 06:44 AM
We have seen snakes at the Poly on the path to and from the TTC.
Also, my son loves to look for and catch lizards during our stays at the Poly, and once he had his arm in some shrubbery trying to catch a lizard that scooted in there. A CM stopped him, said snakes, many poisonous, are in the foilage around the Poly.

sportsguy2315
06-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I was on a boat from MK to WL one day when a fellow guest asked the captain about gators in WDW waters. The CM said that when they do find gators in guest areas, animal control is called and said gator is trapped, then rereleased in a part of Bay Lake not accessible to guests. That said, she did say there were a couple regulars that the watercraft CM`s have given names to; most notably ``Tripod`` because he`s missing his right front leg.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2012, 04:20 PM
When we were at one of the snack bars at Typhoon Lagoon years ago, people started screaming & jumping up on the tables. Yep, a rather large snake had dropped by for lunch. He went on his merry way. Probably afraid of all the noise.
Another time one of the bus drivers pointed out a gator at one of the little ponds on one of the loop around roads going to or from the Dolphin. Said it was there frequently.
And many years ago, when I stayed at Orange Lake, there was one in the little pond right outside our condo on the golf course. Made me glad I didn't play golf!!

phlo8810
06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
A couple weeks ago while staying at the beach club we saw a large gator in the stream that runs along side the villas. This thing was 6-8 feet long, He was really BIG! Also on the same trip my son and I saw a big black snake on the walkway between the beach club and the villas.
Another time on the concrete area between the beach club and the boardwalk near the wedding pavilion we saw a orange. white and black snake at night just hanging out. Wasn't scarred or anything.

WED1901
06-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I have never seen a snake or a gator...but I have seen Mice, Ducks, Dogs, and Chipmunks walking around on two legs :thumbsup:!! And the will even let you get your pic made with them! :D

HackLaSalle
06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
yea, i have a huge fear of snakes. thats why i posted it. mine is more of a phobia. I am actually more afraid of a small grass snake than a huge gator who is much more dangerous, makes no sense, but true. i can't even see a snake in a movie w/o freaking out. (try going through 5 years of boy scouts,w/ numerous campouts, and not telling anyone)
i saw a gator once at space kennedy while walking down a road. i started taking pics and my gf and brother were freaking out and couldn't believe that i was taking pics. I told them he was so close that if he wanted us, nothing we could do he was going to get at least one of us, and i could outrun my gf, so i was fine.

Dude, totally with you. But even hearing these stories are making me scared. I'm writing a check list:

1. No water park ever.
2. Never going back to FW
3. Stay indoors at the Poly with lots of Lapu Lapu (Snakes hate drunk people.)

Why can't someone come on this thread and be like no no snakes at WDW. They have special snake repelling electric fences that don't let snakes near people.

But yeah I'd totally want to see a gator.

I've seen Armadillos, bunnies, big ole spiders, the little lizards and deer. No snakes. Heaven help me if I did.

finaldynasty
06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
My family and I saw a small gator in the lake area at the CSR summer 2009 and a small snake at the POR summer 2010.

Wolf
06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Dude, totally with you. But even hearing these stories are making me scared. I'm writing a check list:

1. No water park ever.

Why can't someone come on this thread and be like no no snakes at WDW. They have special snake repelling electric fences that don't let snakes near people.

I've seen Armadillos, bunnies, big ole spiders, the little lizards and deer. No snakes. Heaven help me if I did.

Nope none ever! All these sightings were toys and rubber snakies I left out from my collection! Sleep soundly!!

HackLaSalle
06-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks!:cloud9:

goofy-4-disney
06-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Our snake encounter was at the miniature golf course by Blizzard Beach. There was a 3 foot black snake sunning itself on one of the rocks that were placed in the middle of one of the holes. i walked up and hit my putt and was walking down towards the hole and i finally noticed him. We decided to skip that hole. I've also seen a gator while staying at the BC out in front in one of the ponds.

Main Street Jim
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
That said, she did say there were a couple regulars that the watercraft CM`s have given names to; most notably ``Tripod`` because he`s missing his right front leg.Tripod was a regular on the Rivers of America when I worked the rafts and Splash in Frontierland. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a gator a few years ago to the right side of the walkway between the main lodge and the main Villas entrance at Wilderness Lodge. Didn't have the time to investigate further as I had a tired kid to get to bed.

BraddyB
06-12-2012, 09:03 PM
(Snakes hate drunk people.)

Mental Note filled away. Looks like I should be all clear for the Food and Wine Festival now :beer: :thumbsup:

EJS-Houston
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I guess I'm just oblivious to such things when I'm at Disney. I've only ever seen a gator once, and that was in a canal alongside the train ride around the periphery of the Magic Kingdom when I was a kid in the 70s. I see gators when I hike near home all the time so I'm particularly good at spotting them...but I haven't seen one at Disney in nearly 30 years. And I'm SO grateful I've never run into any snakes at Disney, ever. Here's hoping I never do.

TexansInNY
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
On our November trip we were looking down at the rabbits in WL courtyard and saw a large snake stealthing up on them. Called the front desk - someone came out and approached the area we were pointing to and promptly booked it :) Some "experts" came out and bagged the critter up - he was a good 5-6 feet. Forget the type as I am not an "expert" but they said not poisonous - kids loved it, rabbits - prolly not so much.

ransam
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM

1. No water park ever.

that's funny you say that. i was making my own list of places to avoid. LOL

AuntLaura
06-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Once in the MK, in Frontierland, not far from where the bathrooms are by the walk through to Adventureland, a 12 inch snake was slithering along. A cast member with broom and "dustpan" was encouraging it to go back towards the water around Tom Sawyer Island. I admit that sitting near the bushes there for parades kind of creeps me out. Have seen snakes only twice at FW over the past 20 years.

Ed
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
- probably a regular as folks were feeding him.

I've seen a good sized one in the water at Beach Club several times.

When I worked at Splash in 2003-4, we actually had a "Gator Watch" position. Why? Because guests couldn't stop feeding the gators

Oh my, that's bad. You should never, never feed an alligator. Not only is it illegal, it makes them lose their fear of man and thus makes them a danger.

Yes, it is illegal in Florida to feed alligators. In many cases, gators that have lost that fear of humans become aggressive and have to be killed when they are caught. Not a very nice fate for a majestic animal whose ancestors were in the state long before humans.

Oh, and by the way - - This picture was taken by a WDW custodian who was cleaning a restroom in MK around 3am one morning about 4 years ago. :D

HackLaSalle
06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
See that gator looks cute and happy like it could use that toilet like it thinks it's a people!

Wolf
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Yes, it is illegal in Florida to feed alligators. In many cases, gators that have lost that fear of humans become aggressive and have to be killed when they are caught. Not a very nice fate for a majestic animal whose ancestors were in the state long before humans.

Oh, and by the way - - This picture was taken by a WDW custodian who was cleaning a restroom in MK around 3am one morning about 4 years ago. :D

HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gator::gator:

ransam
06-14-2012, 11:34 AM

if i saw that on my way to the bathroom, i think the purpose of my visit would have taken place right there and no need to use the toilet, but a trip back to the hotel might be necessary..

NewDVCowner
06-14-2012, 01:42 PM
When I was preparing for my first trip to WDW I had a guidebook that said that the imagineers need to regularly go out and repaint a gator that can be seen when you take the railroad around the park near the River of America because frequently real gators see it and try to fight with it for the territory.

TexansInNY
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Maybe they could teach the alligator some manners ;)

Kaps
06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
A few years back we saw animal control trying to get an alligator (about 6 footer) under control on the road to the Magic Kingdom. They had about 4 guys. It was real close to the contemporary. Also saw another one in Animal Kingdom right by the wild bird show only about 2 feet long.

Pooh Fan
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
We saw a small gator once sunning at the edge of a litte pond (or maybe a water hazard for the golf course) at OKW.

Mickeydream
06-17-2012, 02:08 PM
In 2009 (our last trip to WDW) we were the happy recipients of a free fireworks cruise on the lake. We just happened to be at WL when someone cancelled out on their cruise and we were at the right place at the right time. My daughter and 2 granddaughters and I were at the pier when the captain asked if we were interested...of course we said YES!
Well, just as we were settling in to watch the fireworks the captain spotted a gator a few feet from our boat. The youngest seemed more interested in the fact that an alligator was so close than the fireworks themselves. My daughter and I were thrilled with our good fortune and the show was spectacular...even with a gator so near. :gator:

Joannelet
06-17-2012, 02:24 PM
When I worked at Animal Kingdom backstage another cast member spotted a snake. I quickly saw the stripes and knew it was a coral snake. I called animal control and they came and got him. :) I have never seen a gator. My family has but not me. I remember there is a video of a baby alligator in the splash mountain water on YouTube. I am guessing the video is still up if you search for it. I watched it on YouTube years ago.

LudwigVonDrake
06-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I've seen a gator in the waters by Frontierland. As long as he stays in the water, I'm good :D

MattHolst
06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Although I've never seen any in the park, I'm sure they pop up from time to time. We stay at Hilton Head every year as well where there are many gators. Being from Tennessee, I also know a lot about our venomous snakes. The thing to remember is to give them room and if they accidentally get near, they will do their best to get away. Water Moccasins are not the monsters people make them out to be. I've had many encounters with them in the wild and as a police officer. They are very shy and will do everything they can to get away. They do not like being near people. Gators aren't shy but will leave you alone as well as long as you don't try to pet them. Just like any wild animal, look but don't touch.

NJGIRL
06-18-2012, 06:37 PM
On more than one visit I have seen gators in the water that surrounds Tom Sawyer Island. cast members were looking into the water so I stopped to see what was going on. They told me that they are always in there.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I have just been fascinated at the number of encounters and the variety of locations! Sat here just for fun now and tallied them up! Unbelievable! I will no longer just saunter around oblivious to my surroundings, assuming all is well! LOL:look: Not concerned so much about the gators, but I am terrified of snakes!

Wolf
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Although I've never seen any in the park, I'm sure they pop up from time to time. We stay at Hilton Head every year as well where there are many gators. Being from Tennessee, I also know a lot about our venomous snakes. The thing to remember is to give them room and if they accidentally get near, they will do their best to get away. Water Moccasins are not the monsters people make them out to be. I've had many encounters with them in the wild and as a police officer. They are very shy and will do everything they can to get away. They do not like being near people. Gators aren't shy but will leave you alone as well as long as you don't try to pet them. Just like any wild animal, look but don't touch.

Small world!!! We always did HHI when I was young, we saw TONS of gators there, sometimes big ones too! One time we were taking a bike path to the beach and a BIGGGG gator was across the path lol it was big enough to scare me bad and I love all things scaley!!

ransam
06-21-2012, 05:08 PM
i live in the midwest, there are snakes, but not a lot. but during the winter they all hibernate to get away from the snow and winter.
since there is no snow or cold in florida, do snakes hibernate there as well? Just curious.

thanks.

Main Street Jim
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
When I was preparing for my first trip to WDW I had a guidebook that said that the imagineers need to regularly go out and repaint a gator that can be seen when you take the railroad around the park near the River of America because frequently real gators see it and try to fight with it for the territory.Actually, these are no where near the Rivers of America - and never have been :) They're more towards the ToonTown/new Fantasyland train station, just before the underpass. They're on the bank of a *canal* that runs along the back side of Magic Kingdom, but on the opposite side of the park from Rivers of America :thumbsup: Oh - and, yes, I have seen gators in that canal as well (while Conductor/Engineer on the trains).

Silver_Surfer
06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
While walking to dinner at CBR seen the little bugger hanging half way out on the sidewalk. My son's first:D

AK, another swiming along the edge of the pond. This one was creepy

TiggeRia
06-22-2012, 05:15 AM
I have only come across gators at SOG in their ponds along the entrance road. I find it amusing (and really kind of sad) that they have to post signs telling guests not to feed the gators.

Wolf
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
i live in the midwest, there are snakes, but not a lot. but during the winter they all hibernate to get away from the snow and winter.
since there is no snow or cold in florida, do snakes hibernate there as well? Just curious.

thanks.

I don't think so, ours just sneak under houses or wood piles to keep warm when it gets really cold but I don't think our snakies down here really have a "down time"

MrsHammer
06-30-2012, 01:48 PM
We just stayed at Wilderness Lodge two weeks ago, and one day as we were going back to our room from the pool, a cast member was blocking one of the entrances back into the hotel. She said "Sorry folks, we've got a snake coiled up in the corner next to the doorway." We never saw it, so I have no idea of the size or type. We had also heard that one had been in the pool a few days before. Needless to say, we were very cautious when we used that doorway for the rest of the week.

CanadaLovesDisney
06-30-2012, 07:21 PM
We have never seen any snakes or gators... Willful blindness perhaps. However we will certainly be keeping an eye out on future trips. Where we are from we don't see anything but squirrels!

And I hope the people on here talking about bears are joking :confused:

SandmanGStefani24
08-01-2012, 11:45 PM
yikes! I've never seen much more than a mallard, bonzai seagull or random squirrel.

RavsRuleDisney!
03-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Let's see...

Have yet to see a gator but after reading this thread with my younger DS apparently we will be on gator watch on our trip end of the month

Have seen an eagle a few trips back while staying at BC

Years back I almost got smashed by a deer that cut across the path between WL and FW while on a bike with my DS in the little kiddie seat. I had stopped to look at several of them in the woods and show my son when one came bolting right for us! I had no time to do anything but look as he hit the path a few feet in front of us, lost his footing (or hooving) and slid right across the path, hit the other side, jumped up and ran. As a new dad at the time, not fun.

Lighter note, my DS' and I split a gut as my DW was walking happily back towards us with her churro snack (I think Fronteirland). Out of nowhere a bird swoops down and BAM! No more churro!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Yep, we've seen both! Gators usually in the ditches, and they closed One Man's Dream due to a snake inside ... that one was a little freaky.

Ed
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
If there's one thing I've learned living in Florida, it's that wherever there's water, whether it's a roadside ditch or a huge lake, there's likely to be gators. And as for snakes.... they're everywhere.

4disneynuts
03-16-2016, 12:08 PM
We have seen gators in ponds around the resort areas when we were on Magical Express. We always stay at CBR and have heard people say they have seen a couple gators at the resort but we have never personally seen one. We have seen snakes though occasionally. We mostly see the little lizards which we think are cute and run away when you approach them.

I don't think you have to worry. Disney is pretty good about keeping gators away.