PDA

View Full Version : Money Issues - Updated

Dulcee
06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
A while ago I had posted about having problems over handling money with my fiance. Since I took many of your suggestions to heart I just thought I'd let you know how things worked.

First we did start premarital counseling, our pastor requires it regardless but since the issue arose we decided it was best to start to have a third party opinion. We were honest with her over the argument we had had over money and how handling it was stressing us both out. It was hugely helpful in both of us seeing things from the others side. And she made many of the same suggestions as you guys.

We had also been working with separate bank accounts and after talking with the pastor decided to go ahead and combine all of our household expenses into one account. Its worked so much better I wish we had tried it earlier. We sit down every Thusday night now to review our budget, savings, and bills as well as discuss any outside the budget purchases we might like to work in. Putting it all together on paper made him realize just where money needs to go and why I get uptight about spending, and us sitting down together weekly with it makes me feel like I'm no longer suppose to figure it out on my own, rather we work it out as a team.

Compliments of finally working together over finances instead of just each dealing with our own we've met our wedding savings goal earlier then planned and were able to put down our deposit for our WDW honeymoon!

Thanks for some of the tough love and great advice guys. It wasn't all easy to hear but instead of putting our heads in the sand we've worked on it, and are still working on it, and its so much for the better.

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Fabulous Ashton! I'm glad you were able to figure things out!

TinkerbellT421
06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
So happy to hear this! awesome job. It will be something you both always have to work on together but it sounds like you are a a great start. Don't allow yourselves to be a statistic, that most marriages start or have financial problems which eventually lead to divorce. You guys are being proactive by knowing your issue early and fixing it before it gets worse. Congrats to you guys! :)

Jillirose
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Putting it all together on paper made him realize just where money needs to go and why I get uptight about spending, and us sitting down together weekly with it makes me feel like I'm no longer suppose to figure it out on my own, rather we work it out as a team.

I missed your earlier posts, but will tell you your point (above) is key. I've been married 20 years, and we haven't always been on the same page financially and those were the most difficult years of our marriage.

kakn7294
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm so glad it's working out for you now! Money is one of the biggest reason couples don't make it. Stay open and honest and keep working on it like you are. You've got a great start now!

SBETigg
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm happy to hear things are working out for you. Thanks for the update. And yay on the Disney honeymoon!

White Rose
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Glad to hear it worked out well! All that matters is what works for BOTH of you, no matter what system you decide to go with. It certainly sounds like the system you have is working for you two and I'm happy you have things worked out! An excellent example for any relationship, really.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. Keep up the good work. And yay for the Disney honeymoon. Just think, if you keep ahead of your goals, you'll have extra for something really special on your honeymoon. Maybe Victoria and Alberts?

Scott C
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
one hint would be that each of you should get an small allowance of some sort to make minor purchases with - no questions asked -- trust me it will help a lot.

Thanks
Scott C

minnie04
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:!! great news, I'm happy for both of you. Willing to work on this issue. It will help in the long run with any other issues you come across in your marriage. Best of Luck to both of you :mickey:

Dulcee
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
one hint would be that each of you should get an small allowance of some sort to make minor purchases with - no questions asked -- trust me it will help a lot.

Thanks
Scott C

That was a suggestion made by our pastor and something we did work into the budget. It was one of the huge parts of this working so smoothly. I feel good because its worked into the budget in advance and he doesn't feel like I'm babysitting his spending anymore.

Wolf
06-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Very happy yall worked things out!!