PDA

View Full Version : Character Breakfast Reviews

spinnerf
06-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Heres a a quick review of the charcter breakfasts we did with the kids last week, I have 2 girls aged 2 and 8:

1. 1900 Park Fare - I didnt like this one, I felt the decor was drab, the wait staff overworked, and the food was run of the mill. My 2 year old was a bit scared of the mad hatter, the only character that scared her the whole trip. It was hot in the restaurant also. It was also the only character dining we did where we had all finished our meals and had seen only one character and there were no characters in sight (Im sure that was just bad luck and not specific to 1900). Other characters included Alice and Mary Poppins, Pooh and Tigger.

2. O'Hanas - I enjoyed the food here, liked that we didnt have to get up. Our server, Desiree was a bit pushy though, she kept hip checking my 8 year olds chair as opposed to asking her to move in so she could pass. Didnt love her. Character interaction was smooth, we saw Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto.

3. Chef Mickey - The food was great, a bit different than the others, wait staff was nice, good flow of characters, we had fun here. Saw Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Donald and Pluto.

4. Crystal Palace. By far the best wait staff, everyone was happy and pleasant! Its also a great and relaxing break when walking around the hot and crowded MK. The food was fine, mostly more of the same. Characters were fast and included Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet. Probably my girls favorite.

One feature they all had in common was that they were rediculously expensive, ranging $55 to $65 and that was with 20% TIW discount. They all (except Crystal Palace) take a family photo first and then while you are eating present the printed photo for you to purchase for $30, no discounts apply. So its pay $30 or they keep a picture of you and your kids. Needless to say I have lots of photos. It was fun watching the kids at these meals, but a diner, which we did go to one day, is easily 1/3 of the cost and food quality is substantially higher. But your on vacation......

irisrose
06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
We are planning on visiting the first week of December. We would like to go to breakfast at Crystal Palace on the day that the park opens early for resort guests at 8.. My question is, does Crystal Palace open early like 7 AM or do they open at 8? I understand that when a park opens early the buses start runing an hour earlier? Thank you, Roseiris

spoiledraf
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
We have ADRs for dinner at the Crystal Palace, Lunch at Cinderellas Royal Table, Dinner at Chef Mickeys and and breakfast at O'Hana next week and the characters definately come at a price! This started out as a low budget trip for the for the wife and I with a limited food budget as well and ends up being club level at the Poly with grandkids and their moms. :confused: Howed that happen?? And Nana wants to take the kids to the character dining restaurants to see the characters because they have so much fun with the one on one meets. I have to admit, so do I. I'm hoping the surprise trip for them makes them as excited as we are. They won't know they are going until we are going to get in the car to leave.

The food at all of them is average at best but it's not about the food. I assure you, we won't have any pictures of the buffets or servers, but Mickey and the crew will be center stage of the photo album when we get back I'm sure.

8 more days!!!!

minnie-mouse
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I couldn't agree more. Our favorite is Crystal Palace for the food, service, and being able to get into the park early. Following that Chef Mickey's would be our second choice.

DizneyRox
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
For $30, Disney has a ton of pictures of me on the wall.

Airblue1
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Crystal Palace and Tuskers House are our favorites for sure. Chef Mickeys is also a hit!!! The buffets are decent for breakfast, the price is priceless when I do not have to wait in line to see characters and my child absolutely lights up. That's how I justify the cost:):mickey::mickey:

Disney Doll
06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
To me it's worth the price to see the characters. If I can get an IHOP quality breakfast and a server who can seat me and bring me a drink that's all I need. I take plenty of my own pictures during the meal and those character moments are always the highlight of the trip.

MrPeetrie
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
We usually do a bunch of character meals each trip, but this year we're doing only one -- Chef Mickey's.

Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's are our favs. We also like Goofy's at Beach Club. But this year, we've cut back on character meals. For 10-night stay, we only have 7 ADRs plus Hoop Dee Do tix. We are going to do more TS, as well as have more breakfasts at resort.

tinka
06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Just booked our ADR's for December trip. Trying a new breakfast this time, Cape May Cafe at Beach Club. Has anyone had breakfast there? We are doing the usuals Crystal Palace and Ohana too but wanted to try something new this time too...

DizneyRox
06-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Cape May is decent, the problem with it is, it's tough to get there for an early breakfast if you don't have a car (or are staying in the Ecotour resort area).

The best non driving way is to bus to MGM and walk over.

tinka
06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks! About how long of a walk is it? Even though I am 176 days out, I am still in dilligent planning mode!!

MinnieMommie
06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I have to agree with 1900 Park Fare. It was a big disappointment on our last trip. Although the character interaction was great when we were there, the wait staff was nice but clearly overworked and the food was plentiful but not so good . This used to be one of our favorite character breakfasts and especially for my youngest daughter but after our last experience she is allowing us to remove this from the must do list.

Good to hear you liked CM. That was always one of our favorites when our kids were young! :mickey:

jimsgal05
06-11-2012, 10:02 AM
hmmm...In 2009 we had free dinning so we ahd a bunch of Char. ADR's...we loved Chrystal palce for lunch..food was good and the staff was fun chars. took there time at each table....got lost of photos DD 3 at time loved Pooh and friends.

at 1900 Park fare food okay...but dd danced with the Prince...this was dinner time..and the Ugly sisters were a Hoot...Cinderella 3 came out the yr before so Being from Maine we have sea shells so DD gave Anistashia(sp) a shell..like the movie... She loved getting a gifty... the other sister was ariot and Lady Germain played her part well.... the chars. made it not the food... as far as getting those 30.00 photos heck no to expensive!!! I guess now if you get the delux photo pass you have those added...

O' hanas was fun and lots of food...server was nice.

most disapointing char meal was the Cinderella's breakfast food was okay...but they put us DD and Myself away from a lot of the other families SO the princesses didn't get to us and just about forgot us... when one came over and said have you seen" my other princes friends?"...I said no....they Jasmine signaled over to all of them to come over... so we had a "private party"..lol it was fun... the other side of the room was looking at us... I have some fun photos.
Garden Grill was interesting food different they serve you... alittle noisy. Waiter was good and chars. we had a good time with chip and dale were cute with DD...love Pluto there!!

we are going again with the free meal plan...my oldest dd 17 wants to eat and meat Cinderella...so back for breakfast but this will be fun with both girls.:)

I ahve to say my fav. was Chrystal palace.

But overall best ever was at fort wilderness with Meeko and John Smith and Poch. back in 97, went with my oldest DD she was 2.5 yrs old she has Kidney Issues so we had to do a special meal low salt...they made it greta and fun.

I want to try Chef Mickeys... couldn't book it for this trip oh well always next trip!!

AgentC
06-11-2012, 11:12 AM
For $30, Disney has a ton of pictures of me on the wall.

LOL. We just skip the picture line now unless it is included like at Akerhuas or occasionally at Tusker House simply because I like Safari Donald. :)