PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller AND Umbrella Stroller?

2disneyfans
06-02-2012, 06:38 AM
DS 3 and DS almost 2

I am wondering if we should take our double stroller AND one umbrella stroller . . .

Flying southwest-could technically take both

Afraid double is going to be too tough with buses but yet if we don't have it, will we be sorry?

Thought about taking one umbrella so they could take turns riding in case we get tired of double stroller?

Our DSs don't love riding in a stroller-they often both want to walk but they have never done as much walking as you do in Disney

Also nephew (5 years old) will be along on trip and my sister is not taking a stroller, he might benefit from our extra?

Thoughts?:blush:

1DisneyNut
06-02-2012, 09:47 AM
The double strollers technically are not supposed to be allowed on the buses. I have been on buses twice and the driver refused to let passengers on that had them although it made them fairly angry. It really ticks me off when people bring them on the buses because they are so big they bang your shins with them or hit you in the head while trying to get them down the isle. They are also so large, they take up a seat.

To be courteous to other guests as well as being easy for us to handle, we always only brought umbrella strollers. I would recommend one umbrella stroller for each child, even the 5 year old. They WILL get tired and want to ride in them and you don't want them fighting over who gets to ride. Also, they are very nice for piling your junk in and pushing around, such as back packs with drinks, cups, etc..

amorillo
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
agree with the above post. double strollers tend to be pretty hefty, even when folded. i have a double stroller at home, but bought two umbrella strollers for our disney trips. sometimes, especially at the end of the day, you may be standing on a bus. it's hard enough to hold a tired/sleeping child and an umbrella stroller. i can't imagine trying to hold a child and a double stroller. we spent a little extra to buy one of the better umbrella strollers (i'm thinking it holds up to 50 lb child) so we can use it on several trips. when our two oldest (now 14 & 17) were little we did the same thing and brought strollers with us up until they were about 6 or 7. it's nice to be able to have somewhere for them to get comfy if they want to. but i'd say leave the double at home. just my opinion. :)

MommaMouse
06-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I suppose it all depends on what kind of double stroller you have. We have one that folds up fairly easily and yes, while it is cumbersome and bulky I am grateful every time we've brought it (we have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old). We have never been refused entry onto a bus because of our double stroller. That seems a bit ridiculous since scooters can be just as big, if not bigger and more cumbersome. Last time I checked ECVs were not refused entry unless the bus is not equipped for it. I might be a good idea to bring the umbrella stroller and if you find you need a bigger one while you're in the midst of the park then just rent a double stroller. That way you don't have to worry about schlepping the double wide on the bus. I will also add that it is a lot of walking, miles a day, pounding pavement that gets very tiring for not only adults but children as well. Please do not be discouraged from bringing the double wide if you think it will be helpful and more cost effective for you as opposed to the rental. Enjoy!

1DisneyNut
06-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I suppose it all depends on what kind of double stroller you have. We have one that folds up fairly easily and yes, while it is cumbersome and bulky I am grateful every time we've brought it (we have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old). We have never been refused entry onto a bus because of our double stroller. That seems a bit ridiculous since scooters can be just as big, if not bigger and more cumbersome. Last time I checked ECVs were not refused entry unless the bus is not equipped for it. I might be a good idea to bring the umbrella stroller and if you find you need a bigger one while you're in the midst of the park then just rent a double stroller. That way you don't have to worry about schlepping the double wide on the bus. I will also add that it is a lot of walking, miles a day, pounding pavement that gets very tiring for not only adults but children as well. Please do not be discouraged from bringing the double wide if you think it will be helpful and more cost effective for you as opposed to the rental. Enjoy!
ECV's (electric scooters) are necessary vehicles for those with disabilities and they require a special bus with the ecv ramp and tie downs. People using them have to wait on them to send one of those buses. I don't see where comparing a necessary ecv to an unnecessary bulky obtrusive stroller is very applicable.

Trust me, you have irritated many many other guests when you were dragging it on and off the buses.

If you would try a couple of umbrella strollers just once you would never bring the behemoth with you again. They are light weight, easy to handle and carry a child just as well as a big one. Plus when on the bus, the handle on most of them are hooked so you can hang it on your arm if you have to stand.

We found some back several years ago at WalMart that had disney characters all over them for around $10 each.

HighSpeedLowDrag
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
As mentioned above, all three kids will probably want a stroller at some point in the day, and they are very handy for carrying around everything you need when you are roaming the parks with small children. Even my 8 year old was thankful for a stroller ride last year though she barely fit! Having tried both a double stroller and two umbrella strollers, we definitely preferred the umbrella strollers. Quicker to fold up, easier to manuever in the crowds (less obtrusive to other park guests as well - can't tell you how annoying it is to get jammed up behind a tandem stroller and family blocking a narrow pathway), and overall more flexible in allowing the party to split up for food or bathroom breaks. It is a matter of personal preference in the end though.

DonaldsBFF
06-02-2012, 02:39 PM
We were trying to decide about strollers for our upcoming trip as well when our kids will be same ages as OP. I thought we had made our mind up to bring a double but now I am not so sure. I see some important points from both sides. I like the fact that a double means you only have to worry about one stroller instead of two. At home we use two stollers for the kids but there are many times where one wants out and then one of us has a stroller and kid to contend with. I do like the fact that umbrella strollers are smaller and more manageable but many do not have much storage nor do they lean back for a sleeping child. As far as the comparison between stroller and ECVs, i think it is totally legitimate. ECVs are necessary but so are stollers for small children. Both children and the disabled are people and both have legitimate needs. I think the posters that want to berade the OP about what type of stroller they use need to remember what it was like to have small children. And if you are going to DW and getting worked up about something like that maybe you shouldn't be going. Remember DW is for kids of all ages, not just adults! Maybe there are some double strollers out there that are on the smaller side like umbrella strollers. I guess I will be making sure I do my research before the trip.

BrerGnat
06-02-2012, 02:53 PM
My recommendation is to buy a second umbrella stroller. Take two umbrellas.

The doubles are a pain in the you know what. Plus, your kids are older so they will be heavier to manage than if you had a baby and a 2 year old, for instance.

Ignore the post above about double strollers "not technically being allowed on the buses." That is simply untrue. If a double stroller wielding person was denied boarding onto a bus, it's because that bus was too full at the time, and it wouldn't fit.

Let's also get away from the "Stroller vs. ECV" debate. This is not what the OP asked about.

Our boys are 20 months apart in age and we did it ALL over the years (Sit n Stand, double front/back, double side by side, and single umbrellas). At the Disney theme parks, the two single umbrellas was the single easiest way to manage the kids when there were two adults present. Second place went to our Combi Twin Sport double side by side that folded as small as a golf bag and was self standing while folded, had a shoulder carry strap, and could be pushed or pulled like a piece of luggage on wheels while folded. That one allowed me to manage BOTH kids by myself for day trips to Disneyland. I wouldn't recommend anything outside of those two options.

Your 3 and 2 year olds will need strollers, so I wouldn't suggest trying to get by with just one for the two of them to "share." That will turn ugly really quickly. ;)

Finally, don't skimp on the umbrella stroller. Don't get the $10 Wal Mart kind. Again, you'll be sorry you did. Spend a bit more for a good quality one if possible, that reclines and has a decent sunshade.

Tri Minnie
06-02-2012, 02:54 PM
We have taken a very compact double stroller to WDW. With three children under four, we are still on the fence about what we will take on our next trip. We are considering two umbrellas and an infant carrier. However, we may end up with a double, as my husband is attending a conference. One benefit of the double is that one of us can be alone with the children. This may not be an issue for you.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Personally, if you have the adults to push them, go with separate strollers for each child. Double strollers are cumbersome (Not as bad as when my twins were in them 20+ yrs ago) and not as maneuverable in crowds as umbrella strollers.

Great thing about umbrella strollers that they fold to next to nothing, are extremely light and are usually inexpensive to purchase. If you don't want to keep it - you can give it to someone with a little one heading into the parks without a stroller.

2disneyfans
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks so much for all of the "food for thought" regarding the strollers.

My husband and I are "rule" followers by nature . . . if someone can show me a link to the official Disney website that says double strollers are NOT permitted on the resort buses, we'd most certainly comply with that rule.

We are still considering our options and have 22 days to make up our minds!

I do sincerely appreciate all of the variety of opinions! :mickey:

Lizzie
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
When did they make a rule that you couldn't bring a double stroller on the bus? We brought twins when they were a year and a half we wouldn't have survived without a double. And it was a big one. We needed it so the kids could sleep. Ad so we could child swap so while my husband was riding the big rides I would walk the park with the kids.

Though we are the kind of people that wait for the next bus so we can get a seat to sit with the kids and to not cram our stroller on a full bus.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I've never heard of double strollers being banned on Disney Buses. What I have seen is that parents are asked to FOLD ALL strollers and hold the child for the bus ride.

lawgirl
06-03-2012, 04:59 AM
I'm kinda in the same dilemma, except that we are driving and may be able to avoid the WDW buses this time with 2 kids and the strollers.

One thing to consider, which a few kind moms shared with me, is that you definitely shouldn't take any stroller that you would be really upset to lose...not that anyone is going to steal your stroller per se, but you have to consider that you can't lock it up while at WDW, and there is always a slight possibility that someone not as nice and honest as all of us would potentially walk off with your nice double stroller. So unless you have someone to guard the stroller at all times, I'm definitely reconsidering bringing the $200 double stroller we have. Someone suggested to me that we either do a stroller rental company while there, or it sounds like your kids are old enough to just rent the strollers at WDW (mine aren't so we have to bring our own).

I will say I can't really imagine (and I am a mom of 2 and we defintely understand the importance of the right stroller for the right occasion can be a lifesaver!!)....but anyways, I can't really imagine the end of the day, carrying 2 kids, trying to load the bus with a bunch of tired, sometimes not so pleasant people, and us trying to maneuver a double wide stoller onto the bus whilst carrying the 2 kids. Im quite sure people do it all the time, and its fine, but it sounds like a pretty hairy situation to me. But Im sure its not as big a deal as I think it would be.

I still haven't full decided which strollers we are bringing myself...part of me wants to bring all the strollers we have so we'll always be prepared! Haha!

1DisneyNut
06-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Just to clarify, the two times I have seen guests with large strollers denied boarding buses; it was during the summer and really busy, the strollers were the really big ones with huge wheels. The wheels are really the dangerous part about them on the bus and that is most likely why they were denied access. The wheels were probably 6 to 8 inch diameter and protruded where they could hit people sitting in seats and small children in the head when it is folded and held upright. They weren't denied because the bus was full, as more guest loaded after they were denied but as I remember it may have already been loaded to standing room only and the driver made the decision for guest safety. They may have gotten on the next bus for all I know. It may not be an official on the books policy; it may be a driver discretion/guest safety policy.

I will tell you though, on our first trip with only our first child we took one of the big bulky single strollers. After seeing how cumbersome it was and after apologizing to people for the wheels hitting their legs and getting dirty looks every time we got on a bus we made the decision to use umbrella strollers in the future. They are so much easier and if you find yourself only needing one, you can fold them up and carry them or just pull it with it rolling on the wheels.

As for the comment on not buying the cheap ones at walmart for $10, as I stated when we bought those it was probably around 9 years ago and they were on sale. I think regular price was around $14-$15 and we went ahead and bought them at that time even though our next trip was about 5 or 6 months out. We used them for 2 and sometimes 3 week long WDW vacations a year for about 5 years along with weekend trips to other places. We still have them and they are in excellent condition. They weren't "cheap" made, just on sale and a cheap price....I don't do cheap made.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I have 3kids under 6 at the time of our last trip. We had a double jogger and a maclaren umbrella, and were never denied any bus trips. We politely ask the bus driver to open the back door and my husband stands with the strollers and I take the kids. We wouldnt do it any other way. there have been no rules ever that I have seen about no double strollers, and more than likely if people were denied access, the bus was already too full. Just wait for the next bus. Really think of the sigle parents out there with more than one child. Could Disney really deny a Mom bringing 2 kids in a stroller on a bus? Just do your best and do what works best fo you and your family.

Gator
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
ECV's (electric scooters) are necessary vehicles for those with disabilities and they require a special bus with the ecv ramp and tie downs. People using them have to wait on them to send one of those buses. I don't see where comparing a necessary ecv to an unnecessary bulky obtrusive stroller is very applicable.

Trust me, you have irritated many many other guests when you were dragging it on and off the buses.

As far as I can remmeber, every bus that has ever come when an ECV was in line with us was equipped to handle it. We waited countless times as the ECV driver slowly parked it (taking 3 seats), then got up with no problem to consume another seat, and then his 11 family members came and took up another group of seats. Meanwhile, me, the wife, and two kids get on board where we have to stand holding our DOUBLE stroller. My stoller is just as necessary for the little legs of my kids as an ECV is for the tired legs of an elderly or disabled person. The difference is my kids don't have government protection.

When we were able to board a bus early, we would sit with the stroller tucked close to the seat, with one child behind the stroller so we're not taking up too much space. Since you mention irritation about us with kids and stollers, do you really think we irritate people more than those with ECVs?

And saying we should trade the convenience of a double strolle for two umbrellas is like saying the elderly should trade their ECV for a common wheelchair. You would never ask the latter to trade down, so why should the former? And if a bus driver denies access to double strollers, they should deny access to ECVs based on the same level of inconvenience.

To the original poster, bring a double and the umbrella. At those ages, they'll want to ride in them nearly all day long. Plus, it gives you extra control over them because they're not loose and running free. And don't worry about people getting irritated on the bus. They'll get even with you all day by cutting right in front of you in the parks and then yelling at you when you run them over.:D Have a magical trip!;)

Disney Doll
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I have been to Disney plenty and ridden buses plenty. Double strollers are absolutely allowed on Disney buses as long as you fold them up. It's certainly going to be easier for everyone involved if you have a compact stroller, but if you want to lug a double jogger onto a Disney bus you certainly can.

I am not a fan of giant double strollers, but in the debate on double vs two umbrellas I think it's important to remember than a double umbrella can be just as easy and light weight as two single umbrellas. In fact it can be easier for one person to handle on a bus because it's one compact item.

Any single umbrella that costs less than $50 is not a good Disney stroller IMHO. If you are taking a 3 year old you will need to be mindful of the weight limit which usually means you need a sturdier stroller. My 4 year old still occasionally falls asleep in the stroller so I think a good recline is always important. It's Disney so an adequate sunshade and a rain cover are important too. You also want something that's comfortable for you to push and for whatever reason most cheap umbrellas seem to be ridiculously short. For the amount of use you put your stroller through at Disney it's well worth it to spend a bit more and get these extra features.

As for the op, I would bring both strollers. I think your 2 and 3 year old will use a stroller quite a bit and while the 5 year old may not need one it would probably be nice to have that as an option.

disneydeb
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
By all means, bring whatever strollers you think your family will need! I have a 5 year old grandson and a year old grandaughter. They will need a double stroller (we usually rent one from magicstrollers, I think), I will also need a ECV as I had a stroke a few years ago(left side effected) and I may fall, if I walk far while tired. I certainly hope my family doesn't bother anyone! LOL!
I stood up on buses many trips while I held little ones and those that gripe and complain now because of ECV users will get their turn, It is a humbling experience.

Minnie97
06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I have to say on the ECV matter
I am a lot more irritated by them then a double stroller, I know they have a disability but, they get annoying.
One trip a bus was finnally coming and we were going to get to sit because we were near the front and then one just pulls up with its 12 or more family members and gets on. We ended up standing. Honestly I think one member from their party should be allowed to wait with them then the rest should have to wait in line.

On the stroller, I'd say umbrellas
Have Fun:mickey:

ANG
06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
It makes me laugh that someone has THAT big of an opinion about other people bringing doubles. Did you ever consider that those particular people were rude (banging their strollers all over others) and that another set of parents could be very courteous with theirs?

To the original poster, plan on both kids needing a stroller. They will get tired! Even if they hate strollers usually, they will want them in Disney. I also think you should get 2 smaller strollers. Spent the $50 or so to get simple ones that fold easy and can recline. At least one of them. Your 2 yr old will appreciate it if they need to nap.

Our sons are 1 and 3. We plan to bring 2 strollers. My oldest is very disruptive in a double stroller and there is no way the 1yr old could nap if needed. Plus we can separate if needed to change a diapers, etc.

MommaMouse
06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
My stoller is just as necessary for the little legs of my kids as an ECV is for the tired legs of an elderly or disabled person. The difference is my kids don't have government protection.

When we were able to board a bus early, we would sit with the stroller tucked close to the seat, with one child behind the stroller so we're not taking up too much space. Since you mention irritation about us with kids and stollers, do you really think we irritate people more than those with ECVs?

And saying we should trade the convenience of a double strolle for two umbrellas is like saying the elderly should trade their ECV for a common wheelchair. You would never ask the latter to trade down, so why should the former?

Thank you Gator for restoring my faith in this website and in people that are reality based!:mickey:

2disneyfans
06-20-2012, 05:42 AM
We decided to purchase a Combi Double Stroller. It is the side by side that fits through doorways, etc and folds up like a golf bag quite compactly!

I saw it mentioned here and on other discussion boards as a great Disney option. With the 2 DS in it or empty it is easy to push-much easier than our front and back Graco Duo Glider. It unfolds and folds in 3 seconds, and should make bus travel easier too with the carrying strap when it is folded.

We're leaving the umbrella stroller home this trip. We'll report back on how it went. We'll be there in 4 days!

Thank you for helping us decide!

Gator
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
A quick note. My family just went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom yesterday with just one stroller for the baby. Mistake. We decided that on our upcoming trip to WDW, we'll definitely be bringing the double stroller and the umbrella. Our kids legs (7 and 5) were giving out by 6pm, and that's just after 1 day. Plus, they seemed to lag behind when we were walking. If it was crowded, it was hard to keep an eye on them. The stoller will keep them corralled. I suggest bringing seats for as many children as you have.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
yep! We have 7, 5 and 2 year old, 1 double jogger for the older ones (sometimes the younger ones depending on who is getting along that day and who needs time alone), and 1 single that reclines. Polite on the busses, and do your best. Do what works for YOUR family. Just remember rain covers.

ChipNDale79
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
As far as I can remmeber, every bus that has ever come when an ECV was in line with us was equipped to handle it. We waited countless times as the ECV driver slowly parked it (taking 3 seats), then got up with no problem to consume another seat, and then his 11 family members came and took up another group of seats. Meanwhile, me, the wife, and two kids get on board where we have to stand holding our DOUBLE stroller. My stoller is just as necessary for the little legs of my kids as an ECV is for the tired legs of an elderly or disabled person. The difference is my kids don't have government protection.

And saying we should trade the convenience of a double strolle for two umbrellas is like saying the elderly should trade their ECV for a common wheelchair. You would never ask the latter to trade down, so why should the former? And if a bus driver denies access to double strollers, they should deny access to ECVs based on the same level of inconvenience.

To the original poster, bring a double and the umbrella. At those ages, they'll want to ride in them nearly all day long. Plus, it gives you extra control over them because they're not loose and running free. And don't worry about people getting irritated on the bus. They'll get even with you all day by cutting right in front of you in the parks and then yelling at you when you run them over.:D Have a magical trip!;)

:clappy:

Melanie
06-22-2012, 09:18 AM
:cop:MODERATOR ALERT!!:cop:

Natalie has already warned to not make this thread a stroller v. ECV debate, and yet we've had some folks continue. Please stick to the OP's question regarding strollers.

Thank you and on with the discussion! :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
We decided to purchase a Combi Double Stroller. It is the side by side that fits through doorways, etc and folds up like a golf bag quite compactly!

Excellent choice! You are going to love that stroller. It does become harder to push as the kids get heavier, so don't plan on keeping it for years and years. but, it has good resale value if you keep it in nice condition. I sold mine after 2 years for over 50% of "new" price on Craigslist!

My recommendation to you is to REMOVE the front bars. They come off very easily and are really not necessary (at least for the older child). It makes it much easier to get the kids in/out without it. The one year old might like it to have something to hold onto or attach toys to, but for the older one, it will become an obstacle.

ChipNDale79
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Does anyone having any experience of renting strollers from Babies R Us?

Joannelet
06-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Dont forget the Orlando stroller company is great as well to rent from. My sister has used them in the past. Very good service.
I will be heading in Sept with my double stroller as it works best for my family. I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old at the time of our trip. I know an umbrella stroller will be easier for my bigger guy but he cannot recline in it and we let them nap as we go. So it is whatever fits your family.
Definitely bring a stroller of some sort for each child under 5. It is way too much walking for them and if you dont you will end up carrying them through the parks.