PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye to Snow White - pictures 5/31/12

Christine
05-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Thought I'd share our experience Tonight -my DD and I went to ride SWSA ONE last time at 10pm. The rush to be last was crazy!
There was a woman dressed as the queen and her dd as snow.
There were two men having a sit-in or something at the exit. One guy had a red bow and one had a shirt that said "save snow white"

There were three women WAILING and hugging each other.

Kinda a Weird experience. Dd & I just rode then got a treat at the bakery and are heading home. We like it & all and have great memories of her riding it as a baby, but that's it. :D

We are on the monorail now (marvel-rail as I call it) and I'm stunned at the 20 year old men sitting as there are 4-5 year old little girls standing -

But thats another story

Cm's were taking photos of each car
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QIqzVYREsng/T8gs8ZauwQI/AAAAAAAACBg/cgIQDNXvnd8/s1600/F8F069D2-17B5-4BA2-8882-7239D66A85D7-768711.jpeg

Bye dopey http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AZi5Tl90kiw/T8gs83cNmXI/AAAAAAAACB0/fAOnSIofmdY/s1600/63DE160B-832E-408A-A460-71B152A31545-771593.jpeg

Heading Off into the sunset
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WTxtbHS7vKc/T8gs8lJZ6SI/AAAAAAAACBo/Ypk8vu99N6Q/s1600/89AF01A0-6248-4B77-BD60-98B12D302A90-770156.jpeg

Goodnight
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PNuWhN0ms6g/T8gs9K78NTI/AAAAAAAACCA/dGC0gQdnel8/s1600/7724A6DA-1DBF-4680-94DB-2E85858EC857-772689.jpeg

disneydeb
05-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Thank you Christine!
That is why I went as "Snow White's Scary Adventure" last October. I will miss it as I do all
rides that have been retired to the big theme park in heaven.
Thank you for your post and pictures!

See ya in November! ;)

Gator
05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Sad to see it go. It wasn't on the top of anyone's list, but it's always something I'll take the little ones on. It would probably not be so sad if the new ride was ready to go in fairly short order. Instead, we have to wait 2 years. 2 years until we all forget about Scary Adventures.

Thanks for the shots.:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Why did the parents of the young children enter that car on the monorail when there weren't enough seats for them all? It sounds like the parents should have chosen another car or waited for another monorail.

Ian
06-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I saw the dude with the Save Snow White shirt last week. He was ... errr ... odd ...

Christine
06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
I saw the dude with the Save Snow White shirt last week. He was ... errr ... odd ...

Omgosh, did you really? He was "odd" indeed, wasn't he? My DD said "this is creepy, Momma!".
:blush:

VWL Mom
06-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the pictures. My family will miss Snow White, it was part of my boys childhood (along with Mr Toad). DS20 was 2 for his first trip and wanted to ride the "dwarbs". To this day, for him, it's still the dwarbs.

ANG
06-01-2012, 06:41 AM
How cool you were able to ride it that last day!

Melanie
06-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Sounds like a 'strange' experience Christine. ;) I rode Sunday and videoed it. Rode in Sleepy. You know, I'm not terribly sad. Time to move on.

i'm grumpy
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
We made sure to ride last week. I think it DN was too small on previous trips.

TinkerbellT421
06-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the report! I'm going to miss it, but sad part is I have rode it once in the last five trips :blush: I have some great pictures on that ride too so I will make sure to keep them in fond memory of! I swear there was an Intercotee just recently that talked about the same guy in the Save Snow White shirt? And I swear I saw a picture of it! Now, where did I see that :confused: ugh! lol

ChipNDale79
06-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Why did the parents of the young children enter that car on the monorail when there weren't enough seats for them all? It sounds like the parents should have chosen another car or waited for another monorail.

Yeah, lets start that whole giving up seats on buses thread all over again.......

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Heading Off into the sunset
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WTxtbHS7vKc/T8gs8lJZ6SI/AAAAAAAACBo/Ypk8vu99N6Q/s1600/89AF01A0-6248-4B77-BD60-98B12D302A90-770156.jpeg

Hey! Where'd you get that picture of me and DH on our white horse? ;)

Glad you got one last ride in, Christine! Thanks for the photos! :thumbsup:

Stu29573
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Yeah...whatever....

Jared
06-01-2012, 09:23 AM
The time for Snow White's Scary Adventures had passed. It was time for it to go. I hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is suitable and worthy replacement.

I don't believe in keeping attractions for the sake of nostalgia. The reality is that the Snow White ride was antiquated and not particularly charming. It bothers me that a "temporary" meet and greet is going in that spot for now, because as we all know, "temporary" at Disney means a decade or more.

But in general, I am choosing to think of this as a positive.

Stu29573
06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
The time for Snow White's Scary Adventures had passed. It was time for it to go. I hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is suitable and worthy replacement.

I don't believe in keeping attractions for the sake of nostalgia. The reality is that the Snow White ride was antiquated and not particularly charming. It bothers me that a "temporary" meet and greet is going in that spot for now, because as we all know, "temporary" at Disney means a decade or more.

But in general, I am choosing to think of this as a positive.
I disagree. I think the ride was charming and we usually rode it twice a trip. It will be missed...by my family anyway...

mom2morgan
06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
I think its kind of bad timing retiring it when Snow is suddenly so "cool" with movies and TV shows focusing on her. I haven't heard - what are they replacing it with?

WDW-Geek
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm torn, but I think it's time for retirement. The new Fantasyland expansion is a great big beautiful tomorrow. :mickey:

casey@bat
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
My DS15 rode it for the 1st time when he was 2. We got in the car, pushed through the doors and he said,"Turn around Mommy, go back!" It scared him and he thought I could turn the car around and go back. I thought it was so cute!

jimsgal05
06-01-2012, 01:39 PM
omg I knew it was going to close but was hoping till Aug... after we where there oh well my daughter fell asleep in 2009 so we didn't ride it...I did (trip w/o children) in may2011... the last was in 97' the ride will be missed but WE look forward to all the new things coming...but wow strange guy doing a sit in...lol

thanks for the photos... and the info...:-)

enjoy the rest of the trip

AgentC
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Christine. What a strange experience.

We went Wednesday night. It was not crazy at all.
Lots of people were saying that they were riding it because it was closing.

I got my 4 year old daughter to ride. My 6 year old refused based in the word "scary" in the name of the ride. ;)

For me, I am okay with it closing. I enjoyed my last ride, but it can't compare to my memories of riding it as a child.

Christine
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's a picture of the two guys doing the "sit-in". The guy with the "save snow" shirt is sitting (behind guy with camera) and the one standing is wearing the show red bow.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LFESrJbaaos/T8kLL4VXpMI/AAAAAAAACCw/CeVU8p0Hpfg/s1600/D5C23C66-5296-49AF-9A28-E1420EC35F74-762874.jpeg

I thought this was pretty

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nHjRoexW0-Y/T8kLLb8TJqI/AAAAAAAACCk/ERGsWOPfTEY/s1600/1245E651-972B-4B04-BD37-79FDB1B6E018-761850.jpeg

Christine
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Hey! Where'd you get that picture of me and DH on our white horse? ;)

Oh I have my ways! Same as how I get myself on the cover of sports illustrated swimsuit edition or Shape magazine! :D :funny:

Jared
06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I disagree. I think the ride was charming and we usually rode it twice a trip. It will be missed...by my family anyway...
I'll miss it as well. It's a familiar -- a Magic Kingdom original. It's one of the few attractions in Walt Disney World that seem to have a piece of Walt himself in it.

Still, it's far from an ambitious dark ride, especially when compared to true classics like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. I think we can agree on that. I just don't see losing Snow White's Scary Adventures as a significant loss (although I understand the outcry, because people feel emotional about every Disney attraction).

Ian
06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Still, it's far from an ambitious dark ride, especially when compared to true classics like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.While I agree with you, in fairness, there are no other attractions that compare with Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

I think both of those attractions are, without question, the absolute pinnacle of Imagineering. Which is sort of sad when you think about it, considering both are 40+ years old.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
06-01-2012, 11:17 PM
So Sad to see it go was personally one of my favorite rides at Walt Disney World and I wish they weren't getting rid of it. I m so sad that are getting rid of the ride it was one of the originals.But hey you can't stop the change :( .... Thank You for posting the pics I was actually planning on going this May so I could ride it one last time. But Sadly I couldnt go its a shame! :dumbo:

Jared
06-02-2012, 08:29 AM
While I agree with you, in fairness, there are no other attractions that compare with Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

I think both of those attractions are, without question, the absolute pinnacle of Imagineering. Which is sort of sad when you think about it, considering both are 40+ years old.
Fair enough. I think I'd put Splash Mountain (when operating properly) and Disneyland's Indiana Jones attraction in the same category, but they're both thrill rides that inherently limit their audience.

amorillo
06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
i will definitely miss this ride. i think it's a little hard to say goodbye to rides (whether they are "good" or "bad"). i mean, mr. toad was a little silly, but i still miss it. fond childhood memories.... but i won't dwell on the past... i have to agree with WDW-Geek:

The new Fantasyland expansion is a great big beautiful tomorrow. :mickey:

looking forward to what the future will bring! :D

Ian
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Fair enough. I think I'd put Splash Mountain (when operating properly) and Disneyland's Indiana Jones attraction in the same category, but they're both thrill rides that inherently limit their audience.Mmm ... I agree both of those are excellent attractions, but if you stop and think about it a bit I don't think you could realistically rank either one of those quite up with Pirates and HM.

The theming and attention to detail in Pirates and the Mansion are just epic. When you first come down the falls in Pirates and you float out into the battle sequence it's pretty darn hard to convince yourself you're inside. ;)

TikiGoddess
06-02-2012, 01:56 PM
There's a wonderful story about the last rider on Snow White... a boy with autism who has ridden it over 3000 times for over 9 years now.

Last Ride (http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/06/01/fans-say-goodbye-to-snow-whites-scary-adventures-rides-biggest-fan-an-autistic-teen-given-the-honor-of-last-ride/)

Kathy

Jared
06-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Mmm ... I agree both of those are excellent attractions, but if you stop and think about it a bit I don't think you could realistically rank either one of those quite up with Pirates and HM.

The theming and attention to detail in Pirates and the Mansion are just epic. When you first come down the falls in Pirates and you float out into the battle sequence it's pretty darn hard to convince yourself you're inside. ;)
I will say this: The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean is the single greatest attraction ever made by anybody anywhere. It's actually difficult to enjoy the one in Florida knowing that this other version exists a few thousand miles away.

Christine
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
There's a wonderful story about the last rider on Snow White... a boy with autism who has ridden it over 3000 times for over 9 years now.

Last Ride (http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/06/01/fans-say-goodbye-to-snow-whites-scary-adventures-rides-biggest-fan-an-autistic-teen-given-the-honor-of-last-ride/)

Kathy

He was precious! When he came out at the end everyone cheered! :thumbsup:

Melanie
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I will say this: The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean is the single greatest attraction ever made by anybody anywhere. It's actually difficult to enjoy the one in Florida knowing that this other version exists a few thousand miles away.

Not sure I'd go so far to say it's the greatest attraction ever, but it's definitely up there and WDW version is such a letdown after DL (and even Tokyo for that matter).

What a nice story on the boy riding SWSA.

Crow
06-03-2012, 12:50 AM
i took the boat from WL to see how MK was that night before my dinner at AP...just walked thru
as it was busy..SW had a 40 min wait posted. i think that was probably my quickest visit to any park ever..

TheVBs
06-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Love the pictures, thank you! :mickey:

Before our last trip we had never ridden this one. Made sure to hit it last Oct. knowing we wouldn't get another chance. Really glad we did it! Can't say we loved it, but it did have a certain charm.

PirateLover
06-03-2012, 07:35 PM
There is a link to the fathers blog in the article. Beautiful story.

tjstrike
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I can't say I'll miss it. We were there last week and didn't bother to ride. There's always such a long line and no FP. :bolt:

Jared
06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Not sure I'd go so far to say it's the greatest attraction ever, but it's definitely up there and WDW version is such a letdown after DL (and even Tokyo for that matter).
I'll accept that -- I haven't been to Tokyo. But it's the best I've been on stateside. I'd put it ahead of the Potter ride.

Ian
06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I will say this: The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean is the single greatest attraction ever made by anybody anywhere.Yep. I totally agree. It's a shame WDW got the watered down version they did. I'd love to have the DL version in FLA.

Not sure I'd go so far to say it's the greatest attraction ever, but it's definitely up there and WDW version is such a letdown after DL (and even Tokyo for that matter).It's tough to say greatest "attraction", because there are so many different types. Thrill rides, dark rides, spinners ... but I would feel comfortable saying it's the best themed dark ride ever made. Of course, I haven't been on every themed dark ride in the world lol

mermaidmarian
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I am kind of wistful that it will be gone, but I understand that that is a valuable piece of park real estate.... It wasn't a "must do" on our most recent trips, but I am glad that the last time we were there in 2010, I rode it, and without any technical difficulties!!! I hope the art work will be preserved and incorporated into some other area, possibly at POP. It would be very sad to lose the vibrant images of a film that was part of the bedrock upon which Disney was built.

Jared
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Of course, I haven't been on every themed dark ride in the world lol
Big deal. I still agree with you. ;)

Melanie
06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Big deal. I still agree with you. ;)

Ha! Well, I haven't been on every themed dark ride in the world either, but I have I ever told you about 20K Leagues at TDS? :razz:

MNNHFLTX
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I managed to get one last ride on Snow White's Scary Adventures on May 30th and was glad I did. Not really one of my favorite dark rides, but still nostalgic since it was one of the rides I remember my son being spooked by when he was little (and he also happened to be with me on the ride as a 20-year-old!)

Jared
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Ha! Well, I haven't been on every themed dark ride in the world either, but I have I ever told you about 20K Leagues at TDS? :razz:
I know it's not a dark ride exactly, but is Journey to the Center of the Earth as amazing as everybody says?

Oh, Oriental Land Company, how I dream about you swooping in and buying the Florida parks.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

I'm right there with you. :sadwave: Glad I got to ride it again a couple of weeks ago a few more times. You know, I told DH, the past two trips I have really paid attention to the princess choices little girls are wearing--guess who has been the most popular we've seen...?

Minnie97
06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I can't believe they shut that down that ride, I don't think we have ever been and not been on it.
And on the monorail thing, some kids that age want to stand up I know i did when i was that little plus most of them are being carried or are in a stroller all day. I dont think its bad the adults were sitting.
:mickey: