PDA

View Full Version : Party nights and park hours

Aurora
05-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I just counted up all the calendar days that the Magic Kingdom will be hosting either Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (Sept. and Oct.) or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (Nov. and Dec.); the total is more than 40 percent of all days from Sept. 11 to Dec. 21! Wow!

I realize that there are a lot of "extras" that go into the special events and that they're great fun for a lot of people, but I was really surprised at the math. That is a lot of nights that the MK has to close early.

If you're there for a week and not planning to go to a party, it really takes a chunk out of possible MK touring nights. Or maybe it would close early anyway even without the parties. I can't remember what the hours were before they started having the special events. Maybe it's just a matter of your point of view.

What do all of you think?

ANG
05-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Yep, we are going in October and not attending the party. But lucky for us (I guess it's a good thing) our little kiddos can't stay up late anyways.

Disney Doll
05-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm torn. I agree that it's a lot of nights. We usually do attend MNSSHP if we go in fall, but even then it's a bit of a pain to avoid the other party nights when we're there for a week. It seems like they have parties 3 times a week.

However, I think the parties have been getting more crowded over the years and I wouldn't want them cramming more people into less parties.

joonyer
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Easy decision for Disney, They get to charge extra for admission on those nights, now approaching $60 per head, even from guests who have already purchased regular park passes. I expect to see even more party nights in the future; it's more revenue for Disney. I don't particularly like it, but $$$ is the bottom line.

Gator
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
This won't be the first time I've posted my disdain over the amount of parties. We're going back at Christmas time, and it's a real bummer that 4 nights a week have these events. That means if I want to see fireworks at the MK, I'll have to go on one of three days. And don't you think that those days will be swamped with people thinking the same thing? It's kinda like when Fantasmic! was on two days a week. DHS was swamped those days and near empty the other days. So you make the call to see the fireworks show and face the crowds, or walk onto everything and have a bland end to the evening.

I'm all for reducing the number of events to 3 times a week, but I know that'll never happen. You know what else will never happen? Me shelling out $200+ to take my family to that event.

homeschool mom
06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I agree. We are going the week of Dec 16 and there are 3 party nights. Kind of puts a damper on our time in MK. I also noticed the other parks besides Epcot tend to close pretty early that week. We have gone to MVMCP twice in the past, but at over $400 for my family of 7 this year, we won't be doing it again!