PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I've missed these for years!

Melanie
05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Tonight I was in Epcot and noticed these particular lights outside Innoventions. How many years have I been missing these? I've known about and noticed the twinkling sidewalks forever, but these 'shapes' jumped out as something I'd never noticed. Apparently I was wrong in thinking they were new. Please enlighten me! If you know me, you know I don't spend a ton of time in Epcot at night. ;)

AgentC
05-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I think they have been there at least 1-2 years. Maybe more. Unless you are hanging out around Innoventions, they are not as obvious as the twinkling ones.

Since my kids like to stay at Innoventions until they are being shooed out the door, it is usually dark when we we leave. They especially like to sit in the middle of the circle one and watch it. :)

Cjsmom1811
05-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Never seen those!!!! & I work at EPCOT!!!

Pirate Granny
05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
They have been there at least ten years, maybe more...we always make it a habit to see the lights on our way outta the park...beg my hubby to put some in at our house. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
05-29-2012, 08:19 AM
They've been there a LOOOONG time. It was one of the things I knew my oldest son would love to see when we took our kids there in 2010. He's a big fan of lights, patterns, and stuff like that. They've been there at least as long as Innoventions was called Innoventions (rather than Communicore East/West). Probably around 10 years or more.

CuteAsMinnie
05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
It's always so fun to notice things for the first time! I've learned tho to ask DH, instead of the teenagers, "DH, was this always here?" :blush:

I've never noticed these lights either. We're usually not around Innoventions when it's dark. Now We'll hang around there until the kids say "wow, look at that" to which i can reply...:rotfl:

azcavalier
05-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah, they've been there for years and years. We've been going since 2002, and I can't remember NOT seeing them. But, of course, you have to be crossing in front of the Innoventions exit after dark.

MickeysBestPal
05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I have them on a video that I shot in 1999.
They were not new at that point.

They may have been installed about the time of the name change of the central FW buildings from "CommuniCore" to "Innoventions."

That would have been in the mid 1990's.

SBETigg
05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Isn't it great that as much as you visit, you still find new-to-you things in the park. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
05-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Those lights have been there as long as I've been taking my kids to WDW. On our first family trip my kids were 2 years old and 9 months old (they are now 12 and 10)and those lights were there way back then.

Seeing pics of those lights brings back such great memories of those early trips with my babies. When in Epcot I would always sit there with my kids at night while the rest of our group rode rides they weren't tall enough for. They loved those lights!!! We try to see them on our way out on every trip. Just this past December we stopped for a few minutes, and even my kids told me they remember those nights playing on the lights.

TinkerbellT421
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Tonight I was in Epcot and noticed these particular lights outside Innoventions. How many years have I been missing these? I've known about and noticed the twinkling sidewalks forever, but these 'shapes' jumped out as something I'd never noticed. Apparently I was wrong in thinking they were new. Please enlighten me! If you know me, you know I don't spend a ton of time in Epcot at night. ;)

Same here Mel! Never noticed these before!!! Surprising because we spend hours every trip in Epcot especially at night when staying at the Boardwalk! I'm going to have to spend special attention waiting to see them in December!

Do they only appear at a certain time and for a certain amount of time? ie. is it like every hour and a half for ten minutes or something like that?

Pooh Fan
05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow! I have not seen these either. They will certainly go on the to-do/see list for the next trip. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

JPL
05-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I believe those were installed when Communicore changed to Innoventions, I'm going to say around 1994 or so.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-29-2012, 09:56 AM
We saw them for the first time on our last trip (2011) and thought they were new too!

I love the twinkling lights, but these are even better. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
I've never noticed them either! Looks cool though. We will have to look for them next time.

AgentC
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Same here Mel! Never noticed these before!!! Surprising because we spend hours every trip in Epcot especially at night when staying at the Boardwalk! I'm going to have to spend special attention waiting to see them in December!

Do they only appear at a certain time and for a certain amount of time? ie. is it like every hour and a half for ten minutes or something like that?

Once they are on , they stay on until park close. They are just easy to miss since they are toward the entrances of Innoventions and not on the main path.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
They were there when hubby and I went in 2009. But sometimes the little things are the ones that are overlooked.

Joannelet
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I saw this on the twitter feed and I too have never seen them! I thought they were new when I saw your pics! Crazy that they have been there for so long! How did I miss this!? I have only seen the little dot lights not these!

EJS-Houston
05-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Same here...I've been going to DisneyWorld every 2 years since 2005 and I'd never seen those lights before I stumbled across them this past November.

AmandaChan
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Just another reason I LOVE Disney! You discover something new and awesome in the most unexpecting places every single time!

btw, I noticed them a few years ago. After having been there and walked in the same area at least four years prior.

PETE FROM NYC
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't remember these lights either.
Exactly, where are they?
I would like to look for them in 110 days.

Princess'Mom
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
We will be there this weekend! I can't wait to see them. I remember the twinkling lights, but haven't viewed them before.

indytraveler
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm like many of you. I've never seen them. Will definitely look for them on my next visit. Thanks for showing those.

DNS
05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Our first trip was in 1994 and I'm pretty sure I remember them from that trip.

Main Street Jim
05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
For those of you looking for this set of "twinkling sidewalks", they're near Innoventions West - the Seas/Land/Imagination side - between SpaceShip Earth and Innoventions, but they're kind of in a "hidden" spot - unless you walk through "that way", you'll never see these. :thumbsup: They're in between some planters.

The "fireflies" version is on the east side, between I believe Guest Relations and Innoventions East (Electric Umbrella side).

LVT
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
before 1995, the kids loved them and the jumping fountains

disney obsessed
05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
This is one of my favorite things in Epcot. They are on all day and are our first stop on the way to soaring in the morning. Each time we pass them we have to stop and play. If you go to you tube and type in Epcot light up side walks you can see them.

ransam
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
will check them out next time i'm there....IN FEB

Sylvia
05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
They have been there for as long as I can remember. They're always a stop on every visit to EPCOT.

Georgesgirl1
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
ODS found these for the first time on our last trip. I assumed they were new since we go at least once a year and had never noticed them before. I don't know how we have missed them all these years!

Melanie
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I feel like an unobservant idiot. ;)

BrerGnat
05-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Don't feel badly Mel. I missed the cool weather vanes atop the buildings in Fantasyland at Disneyland for over 9 years before I noticed them! And I practically lived in Fantasyland all those years since my kids were little...

I felt like such an unobservant idiot when I saw them for the first time. :)

buzznwoodysmom
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I feel like an unobservant idiot. ;)

LOL! Mel, remember about a year ago I realized that there is a sign where you get fastpass letting you know when the return time was. I had never noticed that before and felt like such an idiot when everyone was like "didn't you know....". I guess we all get caught up in our trips and families and miss a few things here and there!

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2012, 01:00 AM
I always stop by after Illuminations to look at these lights. I listen to the music and look at the changing patterns as I drag my feet leaving the park. So beautiful.

CAS
05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
I believe those were installed when Communicore changed to Innoventions, I'm going to say around 1994 or so.

Yup, sounds about right. I have video from the late 90's of these exact lights. They're quite hypnotic. I haven't been by them in years however. Will need to swing by them in Oct.