PDA

View Full Version : Which Moderate would be right for us

Urbss
05-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello all,

The last 3 trips we stayed in value resorts. My wife and I stayed in the Contemporary once and also in Dixie Landings on our honeymoon.

We are going this year and might go with a moderate because we would get free table service dining (WE GOT A PIN CODE!!!)

Anyway, we are not interested in the Fort Wilderness cabins, but are interested in a moderate.

Here are some things we need to consider:

-- My one son will be a little over a year old, so he won't care.

-- My other son will be 8, loves swimming, video games and the theme parks.

-- My wife like Pop Century for the food court (which is great) and the location (it doesn't seem to take us any time to drive to any of the theme parks).

-- And, my wife's parents are going with us and we are hoping to request a connecting room. (by the way, they may be grand-parents in their 60's but they act younger than me most of the time)

So, would anyone have any suggestions according to the information I gave?

Thanks,
Tom

E-OR
05-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Of the moderates our family has stayed at CBR and POFQ (and visited POR). We love POFQ. The resort is small with a great location. No long walk to your room after a long day at the park. It is close to DD, even offers the boat to take if you want. A short lovely walk to POR if you want to eat in their food court or sit down restaurant. The pool has a fun theme with a great slide for kids. Food court is small but a good variety of foods. The grounds are beautiful and resort rooms were just renovated. They have movies at night in the court yard for families to watch. We would stay here or POR if POFQ is not available.

Alaska Disney Fan
05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
POFQ would be my choice, nice small resort, great boat ride to Downtown Disney, good location, nice pool area, good food in the food court. You can also walk over to POR and use their food court and also another option for a pool for the kids

Crow
05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree. POFQ and CS are my favs.

Mousemates
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
If bed size is important to you (i.e. you and your wife are used to spreading out a bit) then CBR might not be to your liking since it still has full sized beds while the others have queens.

Remember that at both of the PO resorts you can pool hop to the other which doubles the "Slide pool options" which might be a plus for the older son.

Both PO resorts also give boat access to DTD which is nice and the kids will enjoy the time on the water.

My initial rec would be POR ( we like it a little better (especially the mansion section), however if splurging for a pirate room (at CBR) were on the table, with a 8 year old boy that might be a whole lot of fun.

cajundisneyfreak
05-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I would reccomend POFQ .:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
05-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Another vote for POFQ here. The only downside I could think of for your family is that your older son may not think the slide is fun enough. If that happens you can use the pool over at Riverside, which has a fantastic slide. We liked FQ for it's small size. I think your parents would love it's quiet, charming feel too!

Kairi_7378
05-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I think one of the PO resorts would be good for your family. Both have the boat ride to DTD and we've had nice service and food at both food courts. I'd give a slight edge to POR for the better pool slide and recent renovation.

A Big Kid
05-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Of the moderates our family has stayed at CBR and POFQ (and visited POR). We love POFQ. The resort is small with a great location. No long walk to your room after a long day at the park. It is close to DD, even offers the boat to take if you want. A short lovely walk to POR if you want to eat in their food court or sit down restaurant. The pool has a fun theme with a great slide for kids. Food court is small but a good variety of foods. The grounds are beautiful and resort rooms were just renovated. They have movies at night in the court yard for families to watch. We would stay here or POR if POFQ is not available.

^this

jwallace378
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
One vote for Caribbean Beach Resort!

Gator
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I like all the mods, although the Alligator Bayou at Riverside is very plain and unpleasing to the eye, so I don't recomend that one. We got the same PIN and we're going to be arriving at FQ the week after Thanksgiving. We wanted Coronado, but it had no openings. We've never stayed at FQ, so it will be a new thing for us.

LudwigVonDrake
05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
POFQ is my choice. It's small and not spread out. The food court has beignets :tasty: The pool is nicely themed and it's in a good location.

Highly Recommended!! :thumbsup:

figment502
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I have stayed at all 4 and I do have my favorite (CBR). But I would suggest having your son look at the pictures of the resorts and let him help you decide.

All of the resorts have their pros. My boys loved the pools at CBR and POR. I personally like the CBR because I love the atmosphere, the pool, and the food court.

I would suggest if you are planning on staying at CSR that you see if there is a convention at the same time you are planning on being down there - you might not want to stay there if there is one.

You will have a great vacation no matter where you stay :mickey:

garymacd
06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
POFQ is my choice. It's small and not spread out. The food court has beignets :tasty: The pool is nicely themed and it's in a good location.

Highly Recommended!! :thumbsup:

I agree. We have always loved POFQ. According to your requirements, the only downside I can see is the arcade. POFQ's arcade is fairly small. At least it was the last time I was in there. I think POR's is bigger, but there are also more people using the resort, and, hence, more people using the arcade. But, as others have said, you have access to both arcades and all the pools.

There is also pole fishing and boat rentals available at POR for some grandfather/father/son/family time. (I'm gonna get in so much trouble for that line, I am sure) Those benefits are available for guests at both resorts.

johnO
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I would recommend Riverside or CSR. They're both beautiful resort and both have great food courts. I wouldn't recommend POFQ. We went by POFQ in January of this year to eat. The food court was gaudy, dingy and filthy. I was gobsmacked. When we entered the food court, I stood there with my jaw on the floor. What I could not comprehend was how so many people on intercot could rave about POFQ whilst it looks a mess. A hot mess. Absolutely unbelievable. The filthiest food court I've ever scene in WDW including values. The floors and walls were visibly dirty.

Riversides food court was very clean and had great selections. Same goes for CSR.

ginny57
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
CSR has a deluxe like feel but its huge which is an issue for some - it was not an issue for me and I loved it there. I prefer POFQ to POR. I am not a fan of Alligator Bayou. I read once on this site that a child asked Mom, when moving thru the Mansions section from where they were in Alligator Bayou, if that was where the rich people stayed! Summed it up for me. Alligator Bayou is just to swampy if that makes sense.

I guess I'd let resort theme make my decision if I were you.

Enjoy!!