PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs/POFQ

RedSoxFan
05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
So we are going back to WDW 11/15--11/26. DH, DD16 and myself. Trying to figure out which resort to stay at. Would love to stay at WL again; but I really hate to spend that kind of money when we're never at the resort so I'm trying to convince myself to stay at a moderate.

I've stayed at POFQ many years ago and did like it. However, call me crazy, I do not like the color scheme in the rooms. Just do not like purple/yellow. DH keeps telling me that I'll just be sleeping; but still.

So I'm looking at CSR -- preferred rooms. How close are they to the food court, etc? Any info you can give me would be great. I'm not concerned with being close to the main pool.

My other option is to stay at the Dolphin for pretty much the same price as a moderate. But should Free Dining become available; then I would stay at a moderate. If there is no free dining; I would probably stay at the Dolphin just for the location.

mdricks
05-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I like POFQ because the buses are great, the location is good, the grounds are the smallest, the food court is as good as anybody’s and the boat ride to dtd is a great "day ender"

I like CS because the rooms are nicer (imho) there are far more food/bar choices, the grounds are the biggest (I know make up your mind! but there are pros and cons to each) and it seems less run down for some reason.

For my part these two are a coin flip. I would usually pick POFQ but I used to live in New Orleans.

The Dolphin is a very nice place. Never stayed but have been in the rooms. I love Kimono's and Shula's. Not quite as "Disney" but boy are they nice.

:number1:

KarenP
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I like both resorts a lot. I think Coronado has more of a deluxe feel to the resort. It also has my favorite food court on property.

I like the size of French Quarter as it is a lot smaller. You don't have much of a walk from any building.

Preferred rooms at Coronado are in Casitas 1, 2 & 3. Casitas have pretty courtyards and fountains. Casitas 1 is attached to the main building. Casitas 3 has really nice views.

Mary Chase
05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd say it's a toss up for me. I liked POFQ when we stayed there once b/c it's small. I will say I would not stay at POR because of the bus situation - unless they have changed it since i've been there. There were times that POFQ and POR shared buses and I felt bad for the POR people because they seemed to wait for buses longer b/c the bus would be full by the time it went through some of their bus stops. So if you stay Port Orleans - I would definitely choose FQ for that reason. We have stayed at CSR more often though - we got started on it a few years ago when free dining came out and POFQ wasn't available. One tip I have about that one is to try to get Casitas 4 - it's closest to bust stop 2 which gets picked up and dropped off first (should not have the problem of standing room only or bus too full when it picks up). It's not a bad walk to the front if you need to go to the food court - it's about half way between the food court and the main pool. I would rather have a preferred bus stop and have to walk a little farther to the food court since we rarely eat at the hotel. But that's just our preference. I would say between those two hotels you can't go wrong - from my experience.

j2k
05-25-2012, 03:33 AM
I've never stayed at either of those, but we are booked for CSR in August. I chose CSR because it has queen beds and since I live in South Louisiana I wanted to stay somewhere with a different theme. CSR is a big resort and we requested a room near a bus stop. The main pool "Dig site" area seems like lots of fun for the kids.

Whichever you choose for your stay will be a good pick. Good luck choosing! :thumbsup:

BhamWriter
05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
POFQ was my favorite moderate for a long time. A couple years ago, I took my wife on a split trip, part at POFQ, part at CSR. This was her first time at either resort. She much preferred CSR, which seemed much fresher than POFQ (which just seemed drab or run-down a bit). CSR is a beautiful resort with night-time lights twinkling. The pool area is good, and the food court is excellent, much different than any other food court at WDW.

I still love the boat ride at POFQ, which is a very nice extra. I also like its small size and love the little gardens. Earlier this year, I stayed at POR (my first time there in many, many years) and very much enjoyed it: a refreshed room and gorgeous landscaping.

c&d
05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
When we stayed at CSR we were in Casitas 3. It was a short walk, maybe 5 min to the main hall. It was also about 5 min to the quiet pool.
I loved the food court, and we had a great dinner at Maya Grill. Also the resort doesn't share it's buses.

For me personally I liked CSR much more than POFQ. Although I liked the size of POFQ I really didn't like the theme. It really did nothing for me.

Tinkerbella16
05-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I have stayed at both CSR & POFQ and I would choose POFQ in a heartbeat. CSR is just so big and our room was in the Ranchos section which was very far away from anything but a quiet pool. The size of FQ is perfect.. its the smallest of the moderates and no matter what building you are in, you are pretty close to everything. Sometimes POFQ & POR share busses (we never had to when we stayed at both resorts) and FQ drops off first and picks up first when they do share. I like the whole theme of FQ.. the buildings are beautiful, the rooms are so nice and now have queen beds, the renovations came out great, the grounds are so lovely with the cobblestone streets. I love having the boat to DTD. It was just a nice way to relax in the evening without having to take the busses. The location of POFQ is also another thing that I like over CSR.. the bus rides to the parks were not long at all..it is centrally located with the exception of AK of course.

I fell in love with POFQ from the moment I stepped foot off the DME bus and its become my favorite resort to stay at so far. Let us know what you choose! CSR is a lovely resort and the rooms there look very nice since they renovated. :mickey:

RedSoxFan
05-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have chosen CSR (preferred room). I'm looking forward to staying in a different resort. It makes the vacation different/new. :mickey:

NJGIRL
05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
I just booked CSR for ICOT 15! It looks like a nice resort.