PDA

View Full Version : Update on the braces for my son

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
turns out my 13 year old needs all kinds of work done.

The cost after the insurance (which only covers $1500) is $4200. My ex and I have to split it. I did not qualify to have the 0% financing for 18 months. So my orthodontist will not allow me to make payments.

We are going to see if my ex will qualify, but he has a bankruptcy I don't know if that will pan out.

So I have to come up with $2100 myself, and my ex has to before my son can get the work started. I think it's pretty awful that they won't take payments but at the same time I understand why they use this credit company. Too many people didn't pay them.

If they had given me this information months ago, I would have cancelled my trip I just took. I would have had at least half of what I needed.

Please send lots of prayers and pixie dust my way, I don't know where to turn at this point.

SBETigg
05-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Sending prayers and good thoughts, hoping you catch a break somehow. We paid for braces for two kids, and it was quite an expense. We had dental insurance but it wasn't covered. My friend's mother, when we were in college, used to tell her to marry someone with straight teeth and we would laugh. Straight teeth? Sure, Mom. And then once we had kids who needed orthodontic work, we understood the motherly advice.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to wait a bit to save the money before starting the work. Yes, it's best to get it done as soon as you can, but I had my major orthodontic work done once I was an adult and could afford it on my own, and I think it worked out fine. So, it might not be ideal right now but I hope you can make it all work out in the best way for you and your son.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks. I had to have all the exact same work done that he has to have. I just want to be able to provide for my kids what my parents provided me. I thank them all the time for getting me the braces. I am ever so greatful, so I know even though my son isn't thrilled now I know he will be when it's over.

I know it will work out somehow. I just really wish I had some sort of plan to follow to make sure that it does.

Wolf
05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Thats awful hun, I'm sorry you're going through that, I'm wishing you lots of good fortune and luck!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Hope you can get everything squared away.

I've put 4 kiddos through braces and we aren't finished with all of them.

BrerGnat
05-22-2012, 01:38 PM
You can always take out a personal loan if you have to. It's not ideal, but it may be the best way to get it done and still be able to make payments. Check your local credit unions for good loan rates.

Or, you can find a credit card with a low introductory APR (look for one that is low for 12-18 months). Might be an option as well.

buzznwoodysmom
05-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Good luck to you!

We have an initial appointment next month to get started on DS12. I have no idea how much it will cost, or what our insurance will pay, but this is something that I will do for him no matter the cost. Neither DH's nor my parents had braces put on us. It's something I really wish my parents had done, and I plan to try to do it for myself once I'm done with both of my kiddos.

minnie04
05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I know this might sound crazy, but are there any Dental schools in your area? They are always looking for patients to work on as they learn. The cost would probably be very cheap and as long as the instructors are there you won’t have to worry about any mistakes. Trust me they make sure it’s done the right way. I know everyone that just read this is saying "is she crazy", but it's Just a thought...

Also maybe check other orthodontist offices that might be able to offer the payment plan. I think if your Ortho sees you might take your business elsewhere he might be willing to work with you. Long shot, but hey it could work. Or if you put something down maybe they will let you make the payments on the rest.

Someone also mentioned personal loans with a credit union that would be perfect they have very low interest rates.

What ever you choose. Good luck !!! you will make it happen. We always do as parents !!!:mickey:

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I thought about the dental schools and am looking for some, but haven't found orthodontics in the area. We have lots of hygenist programs around will clean your teeth for free but no ortho.

I don't qualify for the financing through this company I am almost positive I wouldn't qualify for a bank loan. I do all my banking at my credit union.

I should check other orthodontics offices. Thanks!

disney obsessed
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Do you have a dental school close to you? My daughter was born without enamel on her teeth. The last local estimate I got was 40,000 before braces. Universiy of Maryland dental school did it for less than 3000. However, we just started the 6,000 braces. Then we have to do a total ceramic replacement of every tooth in her mouth. I will be going back to the dental school for it!

I really do not understand why there is no good dental insurance.

Tink#64
05-23-2012, 12:20 AM
We're now paying for our youngest DS's braces, which are costing us like 8x what the older DS's were! WOW! Younger one has different issues & had to have both top & bottom & oldest only had top for a shorter time. Boy was I shocked! Do you have insurance to cover any of it? Also do you have a flex spending or HSA? I had Flex with oldest & now on the HSA. I'm now electing to have enough held out of each paycheck to make the monthly payments. Check around & compare ortho prices! My oldest DS's GF also needed braces & her parents got many quotes & finally settled on my DS's dentist as the price was better & they could make monthly payments! I feel your pain financially, but luckily our dentist allows monthly payments. Check around & good luck! :grouphug:

BrerGnat
05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
I also suggest just trying another ortho office if you can. There has to be more than one in your area.

TinkerbellT421
05-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Sending positive thoughts and pixie dust your way to help you get what you need.

I am in need of braces have been since I was a kid my parents weren't able to afford them through the whole process so I only got through the retainer stage. And man I remember it being expensive! I'm not doing it for myself now because of the expense. It's ridiculous how expensive things like dentistry cost. Good luck in your hunt!

Disney4us2
05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I checked out 2 different Ortho's. There was also a possibility of a third, but we went with the second one.

The first one offered no financing... just pay this amount type.

The second one also had a different assessment of my DD's treatment. He said that she needed a palate expander on top to widen her smile. It was narrow. Now that she is completed that, Her teeth on top already look much better and less crowded.

The second Ortho offered two different types of financing. I went the the Care Credit. They pay the ortho in full and then you make payments to the credit company. The office it self does not handle any billing.

I would check around. All offices will be different as far a treatment and payment. Good luck.

Kenny1113
05-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Be carefull with care credit! Read all the fine print!

Lizzy
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah I didn't qualify for the Care Credit so it will be on his dad if that's the way we go.

I did see that it jumps to like 30% if you don't pay on time or within the 18 months.

I think we are just going to have to wait and save up and then have him go through it. I can't make money appear out of nowhere

Alaska Disney Fan
05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
We waited until our son was 15 to put his braces on, can't believe how young they want to get braces on kids, even before they are done growing. They have been pushing to get braces on our 14 YO daughter and she hasn't even lost all her teeth yet. I don't understand how they can put braces on without having her mouth fully developed. I had braces, but not till I was 17. Waiting a little longer will certainly not hurt any, start saving your money and send him when your ready. We waited until we saved the amount and paid it all off at once, also received a discount off the price for full payment, saved us a couple hundred dollars.

Lizzy
05-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Well his dad can't afford it either.

So I am going to add him to my dental insurance as a secondary benefit, so that there will be a little more help. My open enrollment isn't until the end of the year anyway. Also, I got a referral from a friend for another dentist/ orthodontist office that allowed her to make payments.

So we are going to wait until next year anyway, I could come up with most of my half by then, and his dad is now aware and has to come up with his part. But if we can pay most of it up front, then we should be able to make payments for the rest.

I am really upset that his dentist, who has seen him since he was 6 years old and has seen his dad's family for over 20 years was so hard to work with.

BrerGnat
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I am really upset that his dentist, who has seen him since he was 6 years old and has seen his dad's family for over 20 years was so hard to work with.

That does stink. However, there might be a very good reason for this policy, and I can understand not making exceptions for anyone. Sometimes, that's just how you have to run a practice.

Maybe the other orthodontist will be more accommodating. You might get a different quote too...worth going to see. Good luck with that.

Will your son be okay waiting a year (or more) to get the work done? I had some SERIOUS orthodontic issues and I started treatment at 8 years old. If we had waited more, things would have been infinitely worse, as my jaw/head grew, things would have gotten REALLY messed up. As long as it's mostly cosmetic and not structural work that needs to be done, waiting is probably okay. However, it seems he needs extensive work, so make sure you understand the ramifications of waiting longer.

And, just know, that regardless of your credit history, ANYONE can obtain a personal loan. The terms might not be so good, but you can get one if you really need to. If it was me, I'd probably take out a loan, even if it meant a terrible interest rate, and get it done sooner rather than waiting.

Lizzy
05-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I bank at a credit union and did not qualify for a personal loan, or I would have done it. I would love to get a loan and start rebuilding my credit. It was wrecked due to my ex husband maxed out all my credit cards (which were paid off) before I could close them, let our truck that he was going to keep get repossed, and filed bankruptcy causing us to loose the house that he had originally agreed to keep all right within days of our divorce being final and I didn't know until a month later.

So my credit, which used to be a spectactular 800, is now low 500s. No one will approve me for anything. His bankruptcy timeing caused me to be responsible for everything.

I really hope he can wait a year or so. He has 4 retained baby teeth that his orthodontist said he wants to leave in place until the braces are ready to be put on because the teeth that are next to these baby teeth may sink into the hole and not let the right teeth come through. He needs a spacer retainer first, because his jaw is too far back. His wisdom teeth are already forming sideways according to the xrays.

I just don't have the money right now. So I hope that 7-8 months won't cause much more damage :( But at this point I can't see any other option. I don't have anyone I could borrow the money from.

White Rose
06-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Lizzy, do you have a car that's been paid off that still has some value? I know the credit union I work for offers loans where we give you 90% of the Blue Book Value for your car (essentially you use your vehicle as collateral) and you take the equity out of your vehicle. Might be something to investigate. Also, secured loans (loans with collateral) are often MUCH easier to get than unsecured loans (personal loans or credit lines). Might be something to consider!

Also, if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to answer your questions!

DisneyDog
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Lizzy, we also didn't qualify for the financing at our orthodontists, but she still set up a payment schedule for us. I think you should shop around a bit more and find someone willing to work with you and your situation.

Lizzy
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I sort of came up with a plan. He is on his dad's insurance, which will cover $1500. I am going to add him to my insurance eff Jan 1- which will cover an additional $1000. I got a reference from a couple coworkers to an orthodontist that was able to work with them and they were able to make payments directly to the orthodontist.

So my son is still going to have to wait until next year but at least I have a plan together.

minnie04
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Well, I guess we can see why he is your EX...lol. That was really selfish of him to do that to you, but it will make you stronger in the end. I Wish you the best and hope your son gets the work done soon... :pixie: