PDA

View Full Version : Ohana on Saturday- disappointed a little.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I was so excited to go to this restaurant as it had been years.

What happened to the menu? Sure the main 4 skewers were still the same. We did totally love the pork wontons and the chicken wings. But a salad was the only other side.

I remember there being bowls and trays all over.

The service was still outstanding and everything tasted fantastic, but I just remember more of a mouth party going on. Even though the food was delicious, I am not sure it was worth the money that we paid to eat there.

The staff was amazing though. The waitress noticed my 4 year old picking his food and not eating and brought him fries and chicken nuggets. Then on top of the bread pudding she brought all the kids seprate bowls of ice cream and chocolate cupcakes. She made it worthwhile.

But I do miss all the diffrent foods that went along with the main skewers. I didn't realize there were that many changes in the last 3-4 years since I been there. I will do better to check menus before my next trip.:blush:

DVC2004
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes I remember thinking that too last time we were there...everything was still good of course but missing some of the old appetizers. They used to have these little wonton "purses" filled with shrimp, I think they are gone now, but we really miss those.

I'm glad you enjoyed though and what a great server you had!

cer
05-22-2012, 11:01 AM
The missing things were broccoli and noodles and bread - did you not get any bread, either?

Surely there was a mistake. I can't imagine them changing the menu so much - I understand why you would feel like you were missing something. :(

That's a disappointment.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh yes, there were noodles broccoli and bread.

But I remember there being this little tower that held bowls of diffrent items that they would put in the middle of the table.

There used to be fried wontons I think, or some sort of chips but I can't remember. I thought there were green beans instead of broccoli before too.

SBETigg
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
We never had a tower on the table, plenty of food, but in bowls around the table. The noodles are a big disappointment for us after the fantastic maui potatoes they used to have. I loved the potatoes. The noodles are meh by comparison.

Joannelet
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Those sound delish what you are mentioning. I guess it is a good thing then that my first trip to Ohana was just last year as we don't know what we are missing from the past. We too dislike changes in the menus like that so we would probably be disappointed too. Thankfully we do not know any better! Our experience there was delightful and the food was so good! Cannot wait to go back! Your server sounded amazing!

Airblue1
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
What happened to the potatoes?????

TinkerbellT421
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Oh yes, there were noodles broccoli and bread.

But I remember there being this little tower that held bowls of diffrent items that they would put in the middle of the table.

There used to be fried wontons I think, or some sort of chips but I can't remember. I thought there were green beans instead of broccoli before too.

I don't believe there has ever been a "little tower of bowls" at 'OHana, that is at the Spirit of Aloha dinner isn't it? When we ate at Spirit I remember there being some kid of two or three tiered thing.

BrerGnat
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Ohana USED to have the little tower (rotating, lazy susan type thing) with different side dishes, but that was a long, long time ago. Last time I saw that was in 2001 for our wedding rehearsal night dinner.

The menu has undergone two major changes since that time, the most recent one being a couple years ago.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
It was Ohana's, I have never been to the Luau.

The last time I ate at Ohana's was in 2006. There were some changes even then to the menu from before but nothing like this!

And no, there were no potatoes :(

Disney Doll
05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
They swapped potatoes for noodles around 2008 and before the potatoes they had rice. There was an uproar when they introduced the potatoes and just as much uproar when they got rid of them. People are funny when it comes to change.

Jared
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
The potatoes were removed from the menu because the chef was unable to make them without trans-fats in the recipe. He tried, but they never tasted nearly as delicious.

(I actually enjoy the noodles, for what it's worth.)

TinkerbellT421
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
It was Ohana's, I have never been to the Luau.

The last time I ate at Ohana's was in 2006. There were some changes even then to the menu from before but nothing like this!

And no, there were no potatoes :(

Interesting! Kinda bummed I never got to experience that with the tiered thingy. But I always enjoyed the most recent OHana menus. You didn't get the mixed vegetables? I think it was snap peas, broccoli, and some other vegetables. I always loved that one and they just had them in January. I will be bummed if they don't have those in December :(

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 04:17 PM
No mixed veggies, just the broccoli and noodles in one bowl and the salad in another

Don't get me wrong, the food tasted as fabulous as ever, just I was expecting more. I really did still enjoy it but just remembered there being more to it.

SurferStitch
05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
The dumplings replaced the fried wontons with the dipping sauces. I really liked the wontons much better, but DH does like the dumplings.

I miss the potatoes, but the noodles are very good, so I'm okay with that.

I don't notice any less food options than years past... just different offerings.

DVC2004
05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
I forgot about the potatoes- they were so good!

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Our Ratings of Ohana: (1/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Used to be highly rated. However, the food
quality has severely deteriorated over the past year.
Additionally, the service is very spotty. For food quality
and service, select another restaurant.

Lizzy
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I found the service to be wonderful and had no problems at all in that department.