PDA

View Full Version : That must have item you buy when at DW

goofygonewild
05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
What is that must have item you take home from Disney World and where did you find it? I think most people buy a shirt but I am looking for something that can only be found at Disney World and will be a special reminder of our time there. Maybe something that isn't found in every park that would be cool to have. Our last time there we found a Mickey throw blanket I've never seen before.

TinkerbellT421
05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I was obsessed with the 2-D glass silhouettes they did in the Kodak station when exiting figment. I have three. Everyone is pretty much the same lol dbf and I with wow and the year listed on them. Don't know why I have three but I had to have them every year lol. That station is gone now though. But it was one of those one of a kind no one will ever have the same one type thing for me.

indytraveler
05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I have a pair of Mickey Mouse socks. I'm in need of a new pair so when I go next I have to get a few more. I find it's a subtle way to remind me of the magic. I believe I got them on Main Street

disneydeb
05-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Every trip, I get a Christmas ornament, a mug, a shirt, a charm and a pair of earrings.:D

Disney Goof
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
We are like the pp and we buy Christmas ornaments everytime we go. The kids get to pick one out for themselves, and DW and I pick one out too. It is always special when we decorate the tree then.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
05-22-2012, 09:24 AM
We love the car antenna toppers! We just came home with a new Goofy!

Bay Lake
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Turkey Leg:turkey: and a Dole Whip:papple:

Tigerinvestigator
05-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I buy my DW a bottle of her favorite perfume "Laila" from Norway. I get brownie points for buying it for her, and she acts surprised every trip. Then she enjoys her perfume and I get to pretend I'm in Epcot every morning when she puts it on!:thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
05-22-2012, 09:58 AM
:mickey:We also get a Christmas ornament, but I also buy something for my kitchen. I love the Mickey collection!

Wolf
05-22-2012, 11:26 AM
We are Vinylmation obsessed so we always come back with over a dozen of those. We also tend to buy something from Norway every trip, I miss all the small little trolls doing the different things we started collecting them when there was tons of different ones and the next trip they were gone!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
If they have issued a new Thumper Pin - that gets added to my collection. And if there is a Thumper Mug or new Thumper Plush - I get that. Thumper Ornament too, if I don't already have it.

And my husband sighs every time because HE is responsible for my Thumper obsession - he gave me my 1st Thumper plush 25 years ago.

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
We always get two Christmas ornaments from Germany in Epcot (you know, the blown glass ones). We have them shipped back to our room so we don't break them while wandering the park! Not really a Disney item per say, but something we only buy at Disney...

elmjimmlm
05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
My boys like to buy and trade Vinylmations...I know you can buy them online but it's fun to trade while we are there!:mickey:

SurferStitch
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I love to get Christmas ornaments as well. I always get several at the Disney Days of Christmas. I also get one in Germany.

I also get any cool new Stitch pins they have. I got the most awesome Octoberfest pin with Stitch in lederhosen, holding brats and a pretzel. I found it at the pin store in Frontierland, and I've never seen it anywhere else.... not even Epcot!

azcavalier
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
All of the above!

Well, not really, but almost!

Between my DW and I, we get:

1. At least one Christmas ornament, usually multiple

2. Kitchenware (trivets, tumblers, etc)

3. New Stitch pins

4. the last few years, I have come home with a Disney watch

5. Any new Jim Shore Castle

6. Have always gotten an antenna topper, but my new car doesn't have an antenna that one would fit on

7. My DW gets jewelry

BriarRose0708
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Always need to come home with a new mug and a picture frame!

AmandaChan
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
every time it's something different, last trip I had to have the mickey ears family decals for your car (me, dh, ds, and cat... with the new addition to the family i am going to have to find a girl on online :))

and the year before that it was the monorail shirt that you could only find at monorail resorts that has the spanish words for 'please stay inside the cart, keep hands and feet... yada yada' (i love speaking spanish when i can)

dh always has his eye on a particular shirt every year. last trip he tried to find a good ak shirt that had stuff about the actual park on it like his epcot one, but he could not find a single shirt he liked. they all had like a lion on it, and a small print of the words ak on it, etc. trip before that he got a figment shirt that he loves.

i wish they had more variety of shirts for attractions, if i ever find a good CoP shirt for him i will get it in a heartbeat.

oh yeah and i usually get an ornament, although i don't think i did last time.

Tinkerbella16
05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Each trip I get a christmas ornament from DTD for our tree that is decorated with nothing but disney ornaments from over the years. I also always have to get a hoodie with the year that I'm there on it. :mickey:

Jezzup
05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
On our last visit I bought a Jiminy Crickett laser cube from Arribas Brothers at DTD. Some of them can get pricey but there is a good selection for under $50. They look great under a light on my "Disney shelf" so I'm planning to buy one each trip.

tjstrike
05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
We each get a ride shirt and then we usually buy the special that they have at the worl of Disney store in DTD. It's usually a throw or one year it was Disney coins for each park with a fireworks photo. We've also bought several pooh prints from the art store in DTD.

texas211
05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, we always have to hit the Christmas store at the Disney Marketplace.

TikiLounger
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
A Christmas ornament, a new antenna topper, and Laila perfume or body lotion from Norway.

Kairi_7378
05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
We also are a Christmas ornament family. We usually end up with a pin or two. We don't trade, but like the designs.

Tink#64
05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Like so many others, we always get a personalized Christmas ornament, new antenna toppers, more kitchenware, always a new picture frame & photo album! So original aren't we? Most years at least one or more of us gets a new watch, I now have 6! :blush:

I usually think about what new item I want before our trip, I do love my Disney jewelry, usually try to get at least 1 new piece every year, and snow globes, I love my WDW snow globes! But some years I know I'm searching for a ls T, an umbrella, or something that I know I'll use & smile every time with our memories! Oh our dog's retractable leach! That was a great purchase! :dog:

KevMcNJ
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM
anyone remember Mickeys Stickeys? Simply obscene cinnamin sticky buns they used to sell many years ago at some WDW resaturants

I cant find them any longer

stephicakes
05-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Yup - always get an ornament too :ornament: I always try to find a resort-specific magnet as well although they are getting harder and harder to find! My husband bought me perfume last time in France (Guerlain Idylle) and like someone else mentioned... it always brings us "back" to EPCOT whenever I put it on :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
05-23-2012, 08:16 AM
I cannot BELIEVE I forgot to mention my christmas ornaments! I always have to get two Ornaments and sometimes something else in the Christmas store. It is my all time favorite holiday. Like DBF likes to say about my Christmas decorating "It looks like Santa Claus threw up in here" lol.

AJ Springfield
05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
First off, I love this post!!

Secondly, here is our shopping list-

Me -- a coffee mug (I love the tableware I see online from Mary Blair!!) and a beach towel. Last trip we bought 3- one from Splash Mountain, one of Main Street with characters and one from the Poly.

Husband-- a hat from MK or DTD. He loves the ones he has and wants another one. The first was from AdventureLand-- semi safari like.

Girls- jewelry.

Food- Dole Whips and funnel cakes from Sleepy Hollow

AdventurerKim
05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
I always buy pins for whatever special event or holiday or whatever is going on. You can never have too many pins! :mickey:

I also get whatever antenna topper(s) is new.

Mousemates
05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
ornaments and a resort pin (if we've not stayed at that particular resort yet)...I used to get a resort specific hat most trips, but since its all pretty much just the generic "disney park" stuff now, I wear my old ones when we are there.

disneykid99
05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you for this great post. We usually go for the usual ornaments our tree started getting really full. We started looking for items for other holidays and found some fun Halloween stuff. I also have to get Lalia everytime and kids have gotten into Vinalmantions (sp). This year we will look for so items for our pets. I love the leash idea - something we will use everyday. :mickey:

DVC2004
05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Used to buy the different anntenna toppers for the car until I got a new car with a short, stubby anntenna and they no longer fit. But I liked all the different kinds and they are inexpensive. I think a couple were stolen from my car. :(

belori
05-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Mickey ears...:mickey:

Dragongirlx
05-24-2012, 03:27 AM
We always get a christmas ornament and Mickey earrings - those sets of three with little crystal studs, mickey heads and hearts. I love those

LVT
05-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey, maybe I am normal> Kitchen towels/trivets, T-Shirts, Pins or Prints

darthmacho
05-24-2012, 07:46 AM
T-SHIRTS!

Last trip I didn't even bring enough shirts to wear on the trip, because I knew I'd be buying them. :mickey:

White Rose
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I do like the tshirts but I tend to keep an eye out for keepsakes/jewelry. My favorite store is the "Art of Disney" store, I think. I love looking at all the art (even though I can't afford it) but I love all the little figurines they have. Because of this store, I bought my first Lenox collection piece and I can't have enough! I just need to buy Belle and I should be good!

Of course, they're now starting an Aladdin collection...

WDW&MK
05-24-2012, 01:09 PM
T-shirts (great idea Darthmacho!!), pins, pins, and more pins :blush:

Love the Art of Disney. We buy one piece of art every trip. DH and I take turns picking out the piece. We started with the large figures that are about 1 1/2 feet tall, but haven't seen any new ones lately that we like. Then went to buying smaller art collectibles.

Also, prints (should probably get those framed at some point) and anything Uncle Scrooge McDuck or Jessica Rabbit.

waymickey
05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
This is going to sound strange but I always get a refillable Mug. I am sad that they are generic now , I miss the resort mugs.:(

I also always have to get a New Mickey Disney parks snow globe. One year I got a sand globe it is very cool. Mickey is fishing and instead of water there is sand. In the sand are all the Park icons, tree of life, Space ship earth, the castle and the mickey hat. Plus fish! So cute. I love it! :mickey:

iluvdumbo
05-25-2012, 11:22 AM
My mom and I always get the refillable mugs while we are there. My mom also gets scrapbooking materials while I always have to get new pins pertaining to the time frame we are there and new Minnie Mouse plush toys to add to my growing collection. Talking about food, we always need to get a churro and I always get my Minnie Mouse Strawberry Bar ice cream.

New cartoppers are sometimes needed as well :)

MrPeetrie
05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
My DW and I always let our kids pick one new ornament apiece to decorate our tree with. Over the years, it's become really nostalgic to re-live the trips through the ornaments.

I also like to get a really nice Mickey pen each trip. I usually find one in Downtown Disney somewhere.

I also like adding one particular T-shirt: the one that has the four park logos across the chest with a Mickey in the middle. Right now, I have a navy blue one, a red one, and a green one. If I see a white one next trip, I'm getting it!!!!

ANG
05-25-2012, 06:28 PM
A Christmas ornament from the Christmas Tree Shoppe

comicguy
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I always get a Disney Polo shirt, best selection seems to be at World of Disney in DTD!!!

PETE FROM NYC
05-26-2012, 05:49 PM
There are a few must buys that we try to get each trip.
T-shirts, if we can find size HUGE
Christmas ornaments
Mugs, if we see new ones that have that buy me appeal
DW and her earings
In the old days, I always picked up a skull at Ichabods Landing, or the POTC shop
Hats, lots of hats.

mommy2maddi
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Vinylmations and Christmas ornaments!! :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
I always buy a new WDW baseball hat. Usually I buy it at the Emporium on Main Street USA.

joonyer
05-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Must have on every trip: a dated Disney Christmas Tree Ornament.

i'm grumpy
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
We used to get the little dated Mickey figurines. Didn't see one this year.

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2012, 01:01 AM
This is silly, but I get a rice krispie bar in the shape of Mickey's head every time.

Various things have caught my eye over the years, but I get them every time.

Pan
06-01-2012, 12:11 AM
We are much like the rest of you with t-shirts, antenna topers, snow globes, magnets, etc. But I ALWAYS have to get pocorn! I have no idea why, and I don't eat a lot of popcorn anywhere else, but I've got to have it. My 13 y.o. DD now agrees with me when we have popcorn anywhere else, "it's ok, but it's not Disney popcorn." I guess everything is just better at Disney :popcorn:

i'm grumpy
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I like the popcorn buckets! :D

mom2morgan
06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Sadly, I suffer from TWO addictions: Disney and Christmas. Therefore...I tend to drop a bundle in the Disney store every time I go ;-) In September I need a new tree topper (broke mine this year :-( I also want to get the cool swirly-glass wine stopper set I passed over last time and then regretted, and a few "antenna bobbers" since mine always eventually get stolen, *sigh*. Oh yes, and I HAVE to get a new purse every time I go - LOL. For my daughters, it is themed hoodies - they always have to get new ones. Same for my husband, come to think of it ;-)

DisneyDawgette
06-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Every time I go, I get a new pair of Mickey ears! I'm considering this year starting to have the date of the trip embroidered on them. :)

homeschool mom
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I always have to get at least one new Christmas ornament on every trip. I have enough now to do a complete Christmas tree with my WDW ornaments. You may be able to purchase Christmas ornaments elsewhere, but my WDW ones are all unique and I love them.

Minnie97
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I always get a charm for my bracelet and a trading pin :mickey:

TexasRoni
06-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Magnets - we get a different one every trip (we also do this for non-Disney trips).

Mom on a Mission
06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
non-Disney Christmas ornaments in Germany, Disney Christmas ornaments in MK, and usually one more from the resort. I can't say I have a disney-only tree, but that's because I do this wherever we go -- I limit myself to just a few new ones each year, but I think I'm up to about 400 ornaments. It's a total addiction:blush:

sportsguy2315
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Something hockey related from the Canada pavilion. During my CP, I got to know a few of the Canadian CM´s from all the times I was asking about Winnipeg Jets stuff!

goofygonewild
07-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I also like to look for special pins that I haven't seen before. Some you see several of and some you don't see near as much.

Katzateer
07-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Our must have items have changed over the years.

When the girls were little and we had our annual trip to WDW the first week of December I would try to come home with: resort mug, magnet, popcorn bucket, salt pepper shakers, and a Christmas ornament.

My youngest started out collecting Disney baseballs and even though she hasn't played in years, she adds one to her collection if she finds one she likes.

Now, I still try to find fun magnets - haven't gotten a salt and pepper set in a few years, just because none have been that interesting.

Looking forward to the Art of Animation for new items!

Used to get tshirts and wear them all the time but the shirts in the last few years don't seem to hold up as well, so I quit spending money on those.