PDA

View Full Version : DVC Reservation Policy

MNMickeyGuy
05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
What is the DVC reservation/cancellation policy??

How far out before your reservation do you have to cancel a reservation without consequences to your points??

Obviously, if you completely cancel (not just switch hotels or dates), you would have to "bank" your points if you were still in that window of time to do that with unused points.

Any feedback would be great - - - thanks.

laprana
05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Here is the info for changing or cancelling a reservation at a DVC resort straight from the DVC member website:

•Changing a reservation 31 or more days prior to check-in:
If the new reservation uses fewer Vacation Points than the original reservation, the remaining Vacation Points will be returned to your account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

•Changing a reservation 30 days-1 day prior to check-in:
All Vacation Points will be placed in the Holding Account. If the new reservation uses fewer Vacation Points than the original reservation, the remaining Vacation Points will stay in the Holding Account until the end of your Use Year.

•Changing a reservation on the check-in date:
If the new reservation uses fewer Vacation Points than the original reservation, the remaining Vacation Points will be forfeited.

•Cancelling a reservation 31 or more days prior to check-in:
All Vacation Points used to make the reservation will be restored to your account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

•Cancelling a reservation 30 days-1 day prior to check-in:
All the Vacation Points used to make the reservation will be placed in the Holding Account in the Use Year in which the reservation falls.

•Cancelling a reservation on the check-in date:
All the Vacation Points used to make the reservation will be forfeited.

I hope this helps! :mickey:

MNMickeyGuy
05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the detailed response - - that helps a lot. :mickey:

One follow-up (newbie) question . . . what does it mean when points go into the "Holding Account"? :confused:

Thanks again.

DizneyRox
05-21-2012, 03:55 PM
The above is complicated by the timeframe to banking.

I'm not positive, but I think the new date is 6 months BEFORE your use year, you need to decide on banking the points. So, if a reservation is AFTER that 6 month mark, while the points MAY be restored to the Member's account, they might not be able to do anything with them. If it's too late to bank them, then they would have no choice but to try and use them, which might be difficult, or forfeit them completely.

If points were borrowed from their next use year, they don't get restored to that next year, they stay in the current year (provided the reservation is for this year which I think they are since you had to borrow).

So, while there may not really be a penalty in actual points for a cancelled reservation, that doesn't necessarily mean the Member isn't impacted by not being able to use the points. In the case of renting to others, I would make sure that MY point use is covered by a cancellation, which may not necessarily align with the above cancellation policy.

laprana
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the detailed response - - that helps a lot. :mickey:

One follow-up (newbie) question . . . what does it mean when points go into the "Holding Account"? :confused:

Thanks again.

You're very welcome! :thumbsup:

The holding account is kind of confusing (at least to me :blush:), but it basically means that if you don't use those points in the holding account by the end of your current use year, you lose them. Also, you can't bank or borrow any points that are put into holding. This is what the DVC member website says on holding accounts:

•These Vacation Points can be used for a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation during your current Use Year as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new check-in date.

•These Vacation Points can also be used for a new reservation during your current Use Year in two ways:

◦For the Disney Collection* (except Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels), Concierge Collection*, or Adventurer Collection*, you can make the reservation more than four months before the end of your Use Year for a check-in date that is 60 or less days before the new check-in date.
◦For Disneyland Resort in California and Tokyo Disney Resort hotels, or the World Passport Collection, as long as the reservation is booked 60 or less days before the new check-in date.
* Available when you purchase directly from Disney.

•These Vacation Points cannot be banked or borrowed.
•These Vacation Points must be used by the end of the Use Year or they expire.