PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Island

K8screen
05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Did any of the animals from Discovery Island get moved to Animal Kingdom? And if so, are any still at AK? I know turtles and parrots live a long time. Or are any of the current residents descended from Discovery Island inhabitants? I know this is a pretty obscure question, but perhaps someone like Main Street Jim would know.

WDWdriver
05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Discovery Island has an interesting and checkered history. It has had many names, beginning with Raz Island in the early 1900s (named after the family that lived there). Disney bought the island as part of the original WDW acquisition and operated it as an attraction under various names for 25 years. When DAK opened in 1998 the island became less of an attraction for visitors, and attendance dropped. Disney closed the island in 1999.

At one time there were about 140 species of birds and animals on the island. Nearly all were relocated elsewhere by Disney. Many were sent to DAK, including flamingos, pelicans and tortoises. The very old tortoise that lives in a habitat beneath the Tree of Life probably came from the island. As far as I know, there is no definitive list of the animal species that were moved. Today, only native and some migratory birds occupy the island. Most of the structures built by Disney are still there.

Crow
05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
I visited there as a kid, and will pass by it next wk when i take boat to WL. too bad they couldnt use it for something.
that is a good question..if i remember ill try to ask someone at AK

Luv4WDW
05-22-2012, 07:35 AM
We rented boats at the GF last summer when we were there and drove by both Discovery Island as well as River Country. It's so strange to us how both of these were just completely abandoned! Disney did not clean up these areas at ALL and it looks terrible. Very un-Disney like! Does anybody know why Disney wouldn't clean up some of the junk? We weren't in an area we shouldn't had been in... you are allowed to rent boats and go past these now closed attractions. It's sad to see something so run down at WDW. :(

thrillme
05-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Like Jurassic Park after the Dinosaurs took over?

Main Street Jim
05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I know this is a pretty obscure question, but perhaps someone like Main Street Jim would know.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Unfortunately....I don't know a *whole* lot about Discovery Island as far as what happened to the animals after it closed.

Thanks for bailin' me out, Ron :)

We rented boats at the GF last summer when we were there and drove by both Discovery Island as well as River Country. It's so strange to us how both of these were just completely abandoned! Disney did not clean up these areas at ALL and it looks terrible. Very un-Disney like! Does anybody know why Disney wouldn't clean up some of the junk? We weren't in an area we shouldn't had been in... you are allowed to rent boats and go past these now closed attractions. It's sad to see something so run down at WDW.Ya oughtta see the YouTube videos of a "walkthrough" of the place... :(

disneydeb
05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
During the midst of our vacations, we would take a "break" from the parks and visit Discovery Island and a water park one day. Nice memories!

Luv4WDW
05-22-2012, 10:43 AM
It is EXACTLY like Jurassic Park after the dinosaurs took over! Lol! I haven't seen any youtube videos, but I did see some pictures that were taken inside those places now, and we were just floored. It definitely takes some magic out of the place when you see it all run down and abandoned.

Bass T-bone
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I remember seeing the last living Dusky Seaside Sparrow at Discovery Island...

How sad...

cuteduck223
05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
i remember that to us, Discovery Island was just as much a park as all the others...we always stayed at Fort Wilderness and so it was something fun to do :) River country--not so much, although, after seeing some old videos and the current walk-throughs, I feel as though I missed out.

It does seem a little strange that Disney wouldn't try to do something with the spaces. I mean, couldn't they create some one of a kind tour at discovery island? You could pretty much put anything in there...although I imagine it would be tougher with River country because of the design to redo all the areas that originally used the unsafe florida water. :)

waymickey
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
2 years ago when stayin gat Wl I decided to take a wlk over to the barns at Fort wilderness. On my way over I got lost , very lost. I wandered along and came to a basketball court and an area with Kyacks/canoes. It was paved so I staye don the pavement until it dead ended at River Country. It was very sad to see. I wandered off and came across a very loud rustling and thought gator and took off running until I came to the beach. I did finally make my way to see the horses but I took the boat back to the WL.
As for Discovery Island I heard a wild Rumor by a very respected CM at WL that a well know reality show asked to use Discovery island for filming . disney Refused quickly.

Crow
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
wow a dis reality show...

waymickey
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
wow a dis reality show...

not exactly ... a reality show filmed secretly at Disney, but disguised as someplace tropical/remote.

ginger19
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
I went to Disney every year as a child and never went there. I had no idea it ever existed!

Crow
05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
not exactly ... a reality show filmed secretly at Disney, but disguised as someplace tropical/remote.

maybe they should have a reality show..maybe not as happy as the happiest place on earth used to be..w tickets increases, etc...
ill b there next wk and check things out