PDA

View Full Version : Recent Kona Cafe Experiences?

Kairi_7378
05-18-2012, 11:56 PM
On our next trip, we would like to visit the Polynesian Resort, and I was considering making an ADR at Kona. However, it seems like the reviews for this one are hit or miss. Can anyone provide a recent review for this restaurant?
(For several reasons, we have ruled out O'hana for our family, even though it is a favorite here on the boards.)

Katzateer
05-19-2012, 07:36 AM
It IS hit or miss with the food and service. We try to go at least 3 times during our annual week visit to WDW and for our next trip I have cut it back to one.

The breakfasts are normally very good but the meal I had on April was not. My daughters was great but my Tonga Toast and bacon was :ack:The trip last September my breakfast of the same items was the best meal I had all week.

In April we also went for dinner. The food was very good the service was ok.

Itchy
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
We have eaten dinner there only and have never had a bad meal.

Our last visit was last September and our server was very attentive as were the visits prior to this one.

We will be there again in 7 days for dinner our first night at WDW and looking forward to it.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

Jared
05-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I really like Kona and eat there fairly often. The ability to secure a reservation on short notice makes it even more appealing.

Like with many Disney restaurants, I've had inconsistent service there. In fact, perhaps the worst server I ever had a Disney restaurant worked at Kona. But the food has always been good, and to me, that outweighs a rogue waitress.

faline
05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
We've probably eaten lunch more than any other meal at this spot and have always found it to be a wonderful haven for a relaxing mid-day meal. It's been quite a long time since I've had breakfast here - long enough that I don't think I'd have a valid opinion. We've occasionally eaten dinner here including both of our most recent trips (one in December and one that concluded just a week ago). On both occasions, I selected the fixed price 3 course option and was not disappointed.

BrerGnat
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I agree with Linda. We have had lunch there more than any other meal, and it's been great every time. The place is never crowded at lunch time, and the servers are more relaxed and spend time talking to you, etc. Food is always superb.

I'd recommend lunch, either before going to MK in the afternoon, or coming out of there after spending a morning there.

Wolf
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
It makes me sad, this used to be a do not miss for us and now I don't even want to go...Moma Wolf wants to try it again and I hope its better but the last two times we've gone its been awful, we keep getting this TERRIBLE server I just can't stand. She is so hateful and obviously hates her job, she does as little as possible everytime and has had magic reduction surgery I'm certain...She has been there as far back as I can remember because we've always seen her but we had her the last two times and she's killing the whole resturant for us...

ledudes
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I find the atmosphere here on the dull side, but my Mother always loves the food here, especially the chicken.

Tinkerbella16
05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Kona is my favorite restaurant in WDW and its been a tradition to eat there each trip for years. I have only done breakfast at Kona, and I have not had a bad meal there yet. Now I haven't been there in almost 4 years though since my last trip was in 2008 so I hope its still the great experience it always is. For my solo trip in September, I booked a dinner and a very early breakfast at Kona so I can experience both and I cannot wait! I never minded the open air atmosphere there, but if you are seated along the edge closest to the lobby, people who are waiting for their ADR at Ohana tend to stand right there and watch people eat, and that can be a bit annoying for anyone sitting along that edge. Some people just don't get how rude they can be while others are eating.