PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Airblue1
05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
This is the second time I have pondered this issue. First it comes from the idea that I am signing off on checks that are in the 200 dollar range for 7 straight days that I begin to think. Sometimes I receive better service at Chili's or other chain eateries than at some of the Disney restaurants. Does anyone else feel the same? Listen I am not cheap and waited tables in college. But I just feel for 18-20 percent on such a tab I should at least get refills without asking.
Please tell me others feel the same.
:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Crow
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I dont think it should b automatic tipping
sometimes i think if they know they will get the tip anyway, they might not care.
on the other side of the coin, there have been times i have tipped and also talked to mgr about how good the service was at WDW.

Airblue1
05-18-2012, 10:16 PM
That is exactly it in a nut shell. I totally agree. I am about to carry cash on my person so I do not have to tip according to the slip. If you can do that. I am not talking about 5 dollars I am talking 20 instead of 40 or 35

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Having worked a tip based job -
I tip according to service. I also talk to a manager about superb and sub-par service. I also ask NOT to have a server at a local frequented restaurant if I know they are not good at their job.

At Disney World - everyone gets a base tip from me of 10%. If you are good - you get more. Period.

Kairi_7378
05-18-2012, 11:34 PM
That is exactly it in a nut shell. I totally agree. I am about to carry cash on my person so I do not have to tip according to the slip. If you can do that. I am not talking about 5 dollars I am talking 20 instead of 40 or 35

I am a little confused... during our last trip, we were given a slip so they could put the tip on my credit card... but I had final say over what the tip actually was. (I did consider taking cash to cover the tips but DH talked me out of it for some reason that made sense at the time...)

Crow
05-18-2012, 11:55 PM
in some cases an automatic gratuity is added, like for large parties, or when u use a Tables in Wonderland card which i plan on getting, they add an 18% tip automatically

PETE FROM NYC
05-19-2012, 09:47 AM
I hate automatic tipping, regardless of party size.
Then it is not a tip, but a discrimatory surcharge.

mom2morgan
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Unless you are a party of 6 or more, you don't "have" to tip according to the slip - they suggest 18%, but you can always write in a different amount - which I would do IF I felt the service was subpar.

disneynarula
05-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree that the automatic tipping fpr large parties is really annoying. It especially annoys me at buffets.

We usually tip 20% but once they add it in automatically all we tip is what they add in.

We have had it taken off before at Boma. We had to fight for refills on drinks and we had piles and piles of dirty plates on our table.

Quadstriker
05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
United States based Mega-tourist destinations (WDW, cruise ships, etc) that draw from around the world have to add the auto-grat (or in the case of DW, write on the bill the customary amount) because often times foreigners from many different places don't understand (or sometimes care) that the restaurant business model in this country asks the customers to pay for the service upon reception (the tip), instead of building it into the price of the food.

In my line of work (not the restaurant business) tips are about 75% of my pay. I don't like auto-grats either, but they do make sense for a place like Disneyworld. The cultural background of the wide variety of guests dictates the necessity of the practice to ensure their staff is taken care of. No, they can't just "pay their employees more" to make up the difference. That money will also come from customers in the form of increased food price.

Does auto-grat lead to less motivation for employees to do a good job? IMO, yes. That's the beauty of tipping for service. There's pros and cons for sure. But auto-grat sure beats employees becoming disgruntled and commiserating with each other behind the scenes with tales of "Ugh, I got stuck with people from X, they never tip." That kind of attitude, whether warranted or not, breeds in restaurants all over the place and would be exaggerated by the large number of people from different countries that come through the door at WDW - many of which don't have tipping in their culture. I'm not saying it should happen. But it does. It's tough to keep a positive attitude when you're tossing up airballs (not getting tipped for giving good service).

Crow
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Unless you are a party of 6 or more, you don't "have" to tip according to the slip - they suggest 18%, but you can always write in a different amount - which I would do IF I felt the service was subpar.

i think i read that w Tables in Wonderland they add 18%. Ill probably be getting TIW, but would like the option of not tipping 18% if service is bad, not that Im expecting that