PDA

View Full Version : My Vacation Is My Business (rant)

mdhiggin
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
So, I was at my childrens' last day of school party a couple of hours ago chatting with another Disney loving family that are friends of mine. Another mother, who happens to be good friends with MIL, chimed in saying I should take my children other places besides just Disney World and broaden their horizons. I could hear MIL coming out of this woman's mouth, as, I'm sure she's just repeating what she's heard. I was polite and tried to explain our reasons for doing so, but inside I was seething, and still am. My philosophy is, until I have to take your money, I don't have to take your advice. Just because my family enjoys having fun on vacation at our favorite place is our business. I don't want a field trip for a vacation, and I would miss Disney if we went somewhere else. Grrr!! Thanks for listening.:mad:

Itchy
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
You are totally right... Some people just dont get it..

There loss is our gain because they are not there standing in line in front of us grumbling because of the wait..

or simply said " What Ever "..

DVC2004
05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
To each his own- some people just can't grasp that. IDK why some people feel like they are entitled to tell everyone what they should do, how they should spend their money, etc. None of their business!

This really gets me going because I would never say somehting like that to another person...though things like that have been said to me before. :mad:

I've heard the why do go so often to Disney, etc, go somewhere else. I have also been asked why we would take our kids to Hawaii. It costs so much and it's not for kids- what??? Beaches, swimming, volcanoes are not for kids? How about you don't worry how much it costs for the kids to go since I am the one earning the money to pay for it. Geez!!!

Sometimes I think people like that are jealous and are saying those things to push your buttons. They can't do it, so they feel they have to knock you down because you can.

Whatever, your money, your family, your vacation. You are totally right. I give you credit for not going off!

TinkerbellT421
05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
WOW! I would have been LIVID. I don't have children with DBF, but if we did, WDW would be our prime place to vacation. And frankly, it would be nobody elses business, just like your title of this thread. It irks to me no end how some people can look at me and say "You're going there AGAIN" with that tone in their voice that just makes my head spin and my blood boil. I don't look at them when they go to the Cape every single summer and say "You're going there AGAIN". Someone I know hates Disney and everything about it, she thinks its a waste of time and money, never liked blah blah blah and I have to hear her rant EVERY year when I tell her I am going on vacation during such and such a week. I just want to :bang::blowup:

It's not because it's WDW that I become defensive because each his own, I just know that with certain people it doesn't matter where it is I am going because if I was going somewhere else every year they would say the same exact thing anyway. It's just still the point, I want to scream and say "If I wanted you're opinion I will ask for it"....but I bite my tongue till it bleeds and walk away.

Auntie B
05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
"Broaden their horizons"??? Does this person realize that you can visit several different countries all in one day at Epcot?? Has this person ever been to Everest? Spent time with Pirates? Ridden a magic carpet or an elephant? Met a princess? Had breakfast with Pooh? Taken a really fast ride in a stretch limo? Had an un-birthday party? My guess would be "no". I bet she does not have a "laughing place" of her own and this almost makes me sad for her and her family. Have another amazing trip! :mickey:

Joannelet
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
First of all this person is ignorant and nosy.
Secondly, there are millions of children who have never had the opportunity to go on one vacation...nevermind have their "horizons broadened" and that doesn't make them any less smarter or well rounded than other children who do get to go on vacations.
In my mind no matter what the vacation or trip it is an amazing and privileged experience in the life of a child. Personally out of all the trips I have been on in my lifetime, including outside of the US, the most that I have learned from was from my Disney trips. So to all the families that are able to go to Disney do not think for a second that you aren't broadening their horizons.
For people to say that they do not understand the true value and meaning of vacation. Taking a break from everyday life to enjoy family and do things you don't get to do everyday. Disney is all that and more. Each trip is different. Each trip provides a different aspect of education, quality time together, downtime, and it is through all of that we learn. We learn to value our family, our time, ourselves, to enjoy life in the moment and it will create great memories for later. It does not matter where you go. The place is just the destination....it is your time there that is the journey that will add to your life and your children's lives. Don't let ignorant people get you down as I truly believe those are just jealous people because they themselves didn't get to vacation often as a child or didnt go where they truly wanted to go so they have to rain on someone else's parade. Don't let them. You are giving something wonderful to your children by taking them to Disney time and time again. No one can ever take that away from you or your children.

DisneyDINK
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Can a rational argument be made against frequent WDW vacations? Maybe.

Could your MIL have some seious control issues? Is she manipulative? Dose her communication style wreak of dysfunction? Probably.

Did the mother who is friends with your MIL endear herself to you and your family? Uh... no!

Do I have the answer for you? No again, but you were ranting. You're not asking what to do, so I'll just say as someone who has been in some similar situations and once was at odds with my MIL I'm really sorry you experienced that. I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

But, hey! I know a great p[lace you could go to help you forget all about it! :mickey:

IamBelle
05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Similar situations have happened to me since I try to go to WDW every year. Some people just need to learn to mind their own business...I agree with a previous poster about maybe they are jealous that you are able to go while they cannot...oh well, if they don't like it, one less person in front of you in line!

faline
05-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Often, I find, those folks who don't understand why folks would return time and again to Disney, will tell you how they've been vacationing in the same cottage on Cape Cod for the past 20 years and can't wait to get there again this summer!

disneynarula
05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
We choose to give our children more varied experiences. I don't think doing the loop at World Showcase counts as visiting other countries.

It still isn't anyone's business where you take your vacations. People need to mind their own business.

mdhiggin
05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much for all the comments. There is nothing like having several people agree with you to soothe your anger. Disney vacations are about family time, and our kids love it as much as we do. Even our 17 year old son is an avid fan. Many people (MIL) said he would get tired of it once he got older, but this has not been the case. We just have a great time together. DH loves it and wants to go nowhere else, so it's MIL's own son who keeps us strictly at Disney. Oddly enough, she complains to me about it and not him. (He doesn't control his temper as well as I do.);)

LVT
05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I hope you feel better. :cool:

dnickels
05-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Eh, I figured out a long time ago that it's my happiness that's important, not what someone else thinks I should be doing with my time/money/vacations. For some people life is more about checking off a 'to do' list of places they've been or things they've seen. Others just figure out what makes them happy and do that. You know what works for your family so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

That said, I'm glad my parents took us places other than Disney even though as kids we probably would have put Disney at the top of the list every year if given the choice. We went on vacation just about every year growing up but Disney was an every-4th-year or so occurrence rather than the place we always went. Going to real Mexico (not the Disney version or Cancun version), seeing the national parks of the west, camping in the mountains, jumping off rock ledges into rivers, I wouldn't trade any of those things for the world, but again, that's what worked for me. You know what works best for you and your family so just ignore the opinions of others and go with what makes you happy.

darthmacho
05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Glad you could get that off your chest. I don't like when people question my choice of Disney vacation, or try to make "suggestions" about how we should go about it. I particularly dislike when people insist that I should "stay offsite", "bring a cooler to the park", or go to "Universal, Sea World, or Busch Gardens" during our trip. Just give me a full 10+ days in WDW, the dining plan, and a WDW themed resort, and I'm satisfied. I'll be respectful to people that want to chime in at first, but if I continue to get questioned by repeat offenders, I tend to get ticked off. MYOB!!! :mickey:

Wolf
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
People me and Moma Wolf work with say the same stuff to,"You're going again?? Why???" We always just respond "Because its the happiest place on Earth" My personal fav is when people say things like "I'd be sick of it if I went as often as yall do." We just smile and say "Thats fine, we weren't going to invite you anyways" We might be alittle bit of jerks about it but I don't ask people for money for my trips I don't have to care about their input. I'm happy handing Mickey as much money as I can each year, they don't have to.

c&d
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I understand that comment. Recently people have said to us, you go to Disney alot. We then explain all the other things we've done there, surfing lessons, parasailing, DS learned to wakeboard, fishing. There have been many :jaw: and they then say. "Really I didn't think you could do all that, I thought it was just the parks."

disneymomma2010
05-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Yap, it really drives me nuts every year when I say we are going again people judge. Even if they say nice things, I always get the same judgemental vibe. I feel like they think Im being irrisponsible with my money like I need to be putting my extra money elseware like into a new house or pay bills off etc. But it's what my family enjoys....you don't have to go!

We all live stressful busy lives, and in my life, knowing that I have a disney vaca planned gives me something to look forward to. They just don't get it.

Tink#64
05-23-2012, 12:11 AM
I've encountered the questions of you're going to WDW again, and don't you get tired of it, etc., more times than I can count! Usually, just as pervious posters have said, by those that visit the same beach year after year. I've grown weary of answering & now I simply say "It's our laughin' place"! It's my family's vacation, it's our money & I have no need to explain it to anyone! I feel so truly blessed that we've ben able to take our DS's so many times, as DS & myself never visited WDW before taking our DS's on their first trip!

I too was worried for years that DS's would outgrow the magic! :sad:, but alas, I don't think that's going to hapen. We do try to alternate our WDW trips with other big trips & DS's (14 & 16) have already spoken up & said that they wish to return to WDW next year! :cloud9: Which just makes my heart sing! We have so many wonderful family memories from WDW as well as other vacations, but as with anything else, to each his own! Don't waste your time trying to explain to the non believers! More magic for the rest of us! :pixie:

meldan98
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Tell your mother in law that you are thinking about taking the kids to Hawaii in a couple of years, or Paris or Tokyo, or California, or even China...:thedolls: Expanding their horizons, but still sticking with Disney.

Imalismom
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM
<snip> Another mother, who happens to be good friends with MIL, chimed in saying I should take my children other places besides just Disney World and broaden their horizons. :

I would have looked her right in the eyes, smiled the nicest smile I could muster up, and say "Thank you for your concern, but I learned a long time ago to not discuss my hows and whys of vacation planning with anyone that is not monetarily contributing to the vacation - I'm sure you will understand", and then politely turn and walk away.

Caroleh
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
We get that all the time. I'm a very hyper person who can't just go sit on a beach, my DH watched me relax as much as I could at WDW and so that's where we go.

One of my co-workers looked at me the other day and told me I was too old to go to Disney, I looked right back at her and told her you're never too old for Disney. It's my happy place.

princessgirls
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Glad you could get that off your chest. I don't like when people question my choice of Disney vacation, or try to make "suggestions" about how we should go about it. I particularly dislike when people insist that I should "stay offsite", "bring a cooler to the park", or go to "Universal, Sea World, or Busch Gardens" during our trip. Just give me a full 10+ days in WDW, the dining plan, and a WDW themed resort, and I'm satisfied. I'll be respectful to people that want to chime in at first, but if I continue to get questioned by repeat offenders, I tend to get ticked off. MYOB!!! :mickey:

AMEN!!!!!!!
I feel the EXACT same way!!!!

PirateLover
06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I love the comparison to people who summer at the Cape...around here the equivalent would be summer houses at the Jersey Shore. Recently I was discussing with someone the possibility of relocating to Florida, and how excited I was at the prospect of being so close to WDW. Mind you, this is a person who DOES like WDW and goes every other year or so... and she looked at me and said, "That's not a good reason to move. I wouldn't want to live there. I would get bored of it quickly." Yet, she goes to the shore every chance she gets and has said many times that she would love to live all year at the shore.... and somehow me living close to WDW, which to me has so much much more to offer year round than a beach, seems crazy. I'm not judging her either, to each his (or her) own, why do so many people feel the need to bring others down?

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
We are fortunate enough that a lot of our family loves WDW too. Both my side of the family and DH's side has Disney lovers. We are by far the family that travels there the most, but our families "get it".

I have had people question why we go so often. And like other's have already mentioned, most of the time those who are questioning go to the same beach, stay in the same beach house, every single summer. Yet they don't understand the desire to visit another destination yearly, like they can't wrap their mind around it for some reason. What really bothers me sometimes is people who act like WDW is the only place we visit. Sure we may visit WDW yearly (or every 9 months), but it's not like our children haven't, and aren't, experiencing other places too. Even when I bring up other places we've gone, they still dwell on the fact that we go to WDW "too often".

What I don't get is why do they care????? I really don't care where any other family spends their vacation time. I know people who go to the beach every year, and don't vacation any place else. If that's what makes them happy then good for them, who am I to judge their vacation choice!?!?

SBETigg
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Often, I find, those folks who don't understand why folks would return time and again to Disney, will tell you how they've been vacationing in the same cottage on Cape Cod for the past 20 years and can't wait to get there again this summer!

So true! I don't know why it's just the repeat Disney trip people who get picked on so much when plenty of people have a "vacation place" or somewhere they return to repeatedly. No one ever seems to say "Cape Cod again? Broaden your horizons!" Like somehow too much Fantasy Land is going to destroy our children. :) Please. And these are usually the same people who think of Disney World as just being the Magic Kingdom and they don't get it. Blow it off and feel bad for the ones who miss out on the magic, I guess. But it is still frustrating.

azcavalier
06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Recently I was discussing with someone the possibility of relocating to Florida, and how excited I was at the prospect of being so close to WDW. Mind you, this is a person who DOES like WDW and goes every other year or so... and she looked at me and said, "That's not a good reason to move. I wouldn't want to live there. I would get bored of it quickly."

My DW and I have discussed this, as the housing market in Orlando is quite the buyers market right now. I don't know that we would get bored of it, but for us, now, it's really an "escape" from the pressures of our jobs. Preparing, planning, looking forward to it for months....if we lived there, it wouldn't be as special, I don't think.

But the main reason we wouldn't relocate is because we'd have to live with the Florida summers. Sheesh!

minnie04
06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Plan and Simple!! When my kids (20/16/8) say enough is enough then we will try other places. Until that day comes (and I don’t see it happening any time soon). We will keep going and going and going!!! It’s funny they older ones are starting to go with friends and cousins without us and I think it’s great they are making their own memories!! The younger one just asked me last night "when are we going back" I told him we are doing a week somewhere else (by the beach) and he was'nt that happy.. oh well will be back in October.

KylesMom
06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I think all of us who frequent Disney World are handed this "advice" at some point. After a few years, I gave up trying to justify it to the folks who don't understand. I smile, shake my head and tell them they simply don't know the Disney we do! :mickey:

minnie04
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
My DW and I have discussed this, as the housing market in Orlando is quite the buyers market right now. I don't know that we would get bored of it, but for us, now, it's really an "escape" from the pressures of our jobs. Preparing, planning, looking forward to it for months....if we lived there, it wouldn't be as special, I don't think.

But the main reason we wouldn't relocate is because we'd have to live with the Florida summers. Sheesh!

I'm only 3 hours away and I have just as much fun planning and preparing and it never gets boring. I think if you lived closer you might not go as often as you think. With jobs, kids activities, friends etc. it always feels like we could just jump in the car, but there is a lot going on day to day that we can't, so the times we do go I cherish and always look forward to the next visit...

Georgesgirl1
06-27-2012, 02:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Disney is our vacation spot, just like the beach or the mountains is for other people. I have memories with my family going back to when I was 18 months old and now I am making memories with DH and our boys. We do go other places, but Disney is one we will always return to.
Plus, I am already using our trips to teach our boys things about other cultures. For our trip in January, we read several books about Italy before eating at Via Napoli. Even at 3, ODS is learning through our trips to Disney which I love!

joonyer
06-27-2012, 03:41 PM
When people ask me things like that, I don't even respond, I just smile and nod, and then change the subject. Don't let em get to you! Their opinions are not worth getting upset over.

ginny57
06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I've been asked over the years why I go back to Disney over and over and I know the 'askers' just don't get it and never will.

My favorite comment though was made by my ex to my boys when they were talking about an upcoming trip. "Doesn't your mother take you anywhere but Disney?" I did in fact take them other places but all I could think when they told me was "as opposed to the NO PLACE that he takes them???"

My boys and I loved each and every trip....and that is all they matters to me!

TinkerbellT421
06-28-2012, 08:45 AM
So, I already applied to this thread but I have to say what happened the other day. I was appalled and completely hurt and angered by this one.

DBF and I go to Disney, with no kids, we are adults, we do not have kids together and his kids from his previous marriage are now grown and are either working, going to school/college, etc., they do not vacation with us.
So to make a long story short, I had someone the other day, after asking me what DBF and I were doing for vacation this year, when I replied, Disney in December and how excited I was, this person looked at me and said, "You are an adult and go to Disney without kids, that's creepy". My jaw dropped. I was like HOW DARE YOU!? But to not argue, I just simply walked away without any reply.

But seriously, how dare you? :mad: I can't even express how upset I was.

mgmnut
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok here is my Rant!!

mdhiggin -This kind of stuff kills me. First, I don't get MIL's (or their busy body catty friends) that feel they still have a right to say what their adult children do, how they raise their children, vacation, where they live etc. It is one thing if the adult child is a mommas boy and still bows to the MIL / FIL and enable them to be the way they are, a self appointed matriarch of the family. Just cut the cord already!! This is obviously not that sort of situation since you said your husband will lose his religion if she starts up on it, so unfortunately she turns to you to force her opinions on. It is another story if they step in because parents are raising children in an unhealthy environment such as physical or mental abuse, alcoholism, drugs, etc, but we are not talking about anything remotely similar, we are talking about bringing children to a fantasy world vacation destination with fun, education, and a magical feel. You are building life long memories they will hopefully want to pass on to their children when they get older because they grew up with a great sense of "family" because of parents that made it a point to spend quality time together as a family. Just keep doing what you are doing!! :thumbsup:

ginny57- That sound like pure Guilt and Jealousy to me if he talks about your vacations in such a way. He is just trying to invalidate the kids experiences with you to justify the fact he does nothing with them vacation wise and to make himself feel better. DW has an ex that used to do something similar. I have 2 step daughters making it 4 children all together. Even before my twins were born we used to vacation at WDW, Cape Cod, Camp, head to Boston, go up to the White Mountains in NH, etc. He would always make negative comments to the girls about the things we did, of course always smiles to me. All the time they spent with him was just sitting on his couch. He used to tell them it was "easy" for us since we had 2 incomes and he had just the 1. I can tell you, it wasn't easy, especially back 15 years ago when I wasn't making nearly 1/2 the income I make today. He always made himself out to be the victim with his poor me attitude. All the while I made it a point to never bad mouth him with the kids around always keeping in mind he was their dad so I spoke about him respectfully to the girls...

TinkerbellT421 - There is absolutely nothing "Creepy" about being an adult vacationing in WDW without children. There is Golf, Fine Restaurants, Shows like Cirque, nostalgia from past trips, and many more reasons WDW is for all ages. Creepy is a very strong word, and probably up there with one of the rudest and most degredating words you can use to describe someone. Nobody ever wants to be known as being "creepy" Good for you for walking away without a comment. I for one don't know if I could have, I would have wanted to "address" the comment and put them right back in their place... and not very nicely. Sometimes my filter is known to be broken, especially if someone was attacking my character like that.

I am no Disney Fanatic to say the least. Other than Photos around the house I have no Disney Merchandise on display, I don't wear disney T-shirts, etc. We have had many wonderful vacations but I would have to say the best have been at Disney World simply because we get the most of our precious time together down there.

I am getting vertigo so I will get down off my soap box now!! :soapbox: lol

58 Days to go!!!!!

SBETigg
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
So to make a long story short, I had someone the other day, after asking me what DBF and I were doing for vacation this year, when I replied, Disney in December and how excited I was, this person looked at me and said, "You are an adult and go to Disney without kids, that's creepy". My jaw dropped. I was like HOW DARE YOU!? But to not argue, I just simply walked away without any reply.

That's when I usually point out that it's consistently one of the top Honeymoon destinations in the US, and if you haven't been as an adult without kids, you have no idea what you're missing. Again, the person who says this is probably thinking of Disney as just the Magic Kingdom, and not a vast entertainment complex with unique resorts and theme parks besides the MK (which is still fun for adults).

I think the next time someone suggests we take the kids somewhere else I will ask for suggestions. "Oh, what do you suggest? Where have your kids been?" And then I will comment on their choices.

TinkerbellT421
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your kind comments, mgmnut and SBETigg, helps me feel I am not crazy after all :).
I was speechless, and caught off guard. I nearly bit my tongue off as not to go off. And trust me with my Italian temper, many unkind, unfamily like words can shoot out at the drop of a dime. It took every thing I had in my will to not blow up. And the mere seconds it took to soak in what just occurred I was able to process my temper back a second and just walk away. I think if I didn't it was going to get ugly and fast. But I could also tell like SBETigg stated, I could just tell they didn't "get it" and do not understand the concept of Disney. Which their ignorance in both personality and information I am sure is what helped me to figure out that walking away was my best option.

After reading everyone's posts and see how many of us get questioned and or commented by others that don't get it, I have come to think that I do not need anyone else's approval on our vacation choices and will continue to ignore the ignorance.

mouseketeer mom
06-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I get this spiel all the time from my sister and brother n law. And they are incredibly rude and disrepectful about it. They roll their eyes and snicker and speak about how they travel to authentic places, like a national park, not to places that are "plastic". I am happy to agree to disagree, it's the hostility that gets me. And...they have NEVER even been to WDW! It befuddles me how angry they seem about our frequent trips to WDW. I can't wrap my mind around the anger.

marlyn
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I get this all the time! I ignore them!

My boys and I share a passion for Disney. It started when they were just 5 years old on our first trip to WDW. Their father and I divorced 2 years later and the boys and I carried on with regular Disney vacations. It was just the 3 of us for 5 years and some of our best memories were at WDW.

I am now with a new man and have 2 step children. My new husband and his kids do not share our Disney passion. We go on our own. My husband is fine with that. He doesn't stop us, even though he isn't interested...it is something I continue to share with my boys and he respects that. We do other vacations together but WDW remains my special time with my kids.

I'm sure people think it weird that I go without him, but I'm not giving up my passion just because it isn't his. Luckily, he agrees!

j2k
07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
After reading everyone's posts and see how many of us get questioned and or commented by others that don't get it, I have come to think that I do not need anyone else's approval on our vacation choices and will continue to ignore the ignorance.

You said it all right there!! :number1: