View Full Version : Episode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

John
05-17-2012, 08:40 PM
The INTERCOT Insider Live PodcastEpisode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

The Cast: Ian, Melanie, Gary & John

- Unfortunately, we didn’t make our deadline

- Sports talk starts the show and a Bake McBride reference

- John got sick

- NextGen latest rumors - cutting wait times?

- What’s wrong with being spontaneous

- Was this really Walt’s vision?

- Eisner’s vision

- Levels of frustration & what’s a vacation

- The Disney evangelists

- Do the people really want NextGen?

- The simplicity of an old theme park experience & Knobels Grove

- Crowds all the time

- Florida Orange Bird

- A hologram of Anita Bryant

- We rehash the merchandising debate and are hopeful of the direction clothing wise

- Poo poo and eating your words

- DVC @ Fort Wilderness, Gary has feelings - he says leave it alone

- STOLPort - check it out on Google Earth says Gary

- DVC in the parks? *Disney’s America mention

- Ian staying in the castle - AGAIN

- Staying in the Haunted Mansion & Haunted Mansion themed rooms?

- Mel stayed in a Pirates Room and gives a review

- Test Track refurb - the horrible Test Track All-Stars acapella group covering the closure.

- A clown making balloon animals would be more entertaining.

- John approves of the kerning in the new Test Track logo

- Gary suggests a cross promotion with the Shriners

- Thanks to @inbloomphoto who wanted to know - Best of Special Effects. *Ian loves Haunted Mansion, Gary’s a fan of the sense of smell - goes with scents such as Spaceship Earth and Soarin’, Melanie likes the Bride Room in the Haunted Mansion. John goes with the classic Peter Pan and flying over London.

- Ian suggests they stop firing movie people and fire the publicity department instead.

-Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney?

- Prime pick of the week from Gary - Jonah Man: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935439480/intercotcom

- Visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE, TELL A FRIEND!... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-33.asp)

John
05-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok, it's up! Next taping is this Sunday.

AgentC
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Yay! Something to listen to at work tomorrow!

TinkerbellT421
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
My best of special effects would be how Disney is able to synchronize the beat of music to practically anything. IE: The dancing fountain in Epcot. The Magic Memories and you projection on the Castle. The strobe effects, fireworks and light shows during Wishes, Illimunations, etc. That is by far my favorite special effect :)

Now, off to listen to the podcast! :mickey:

wildernesslady
05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Just Finished listening. Thanks for another good one. It's funny. We have started to vacation elsewhere already. We used to go a few times a year and we have cut back to one.

I just watched some of the test track all stars. I'm embarrassed for them. Come on Disney, you could do much better.

I love the idea of DVC in world showcase. As long as it doesn't affect the current skyline.

Hopefully, fast pass+ turns out to be positive. Time will tell.

Septbride2002
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I for one would like to hear someone talk about some of the positives that could come from this Next Gen technology. Everyone seems really negative about it and I have to wonder if it isn't the squeeky wheel syndrome because that is who is making the most noise.

I don't want to plan every aspect of my vacation which is why my family only plans 1 or 2 ADR the entire trip - and to the resturants that won't charge me $10.00 if I cancel the same day (now there is a policy I can get on my soapbox about). That being said - we also hardly ever ride Soarin because it is hard for us to make it to opening and I hate the dash factor of getting to that ride to secure a Fast Pass - neither of my kids ride the ride so to take us out of the way to get the fast pass and return and ride later is annoying. So the idea of saying okay - I know we will go to Epcot on this day and I will secure a Fastpass for Soarin is somewhat appealing. Of course you are going to have many Disney Fans take this to the 10th degree.

As I said though - I would love to hear perhaps some ways that this could be a positive instead of the negative that many people assume it is going to be.

As far as favorite special effect - the Magic Memories and You took my breath away with how great it turned out. Lets face it - it could have sucked. But they did a great job and even brought a little tear to my eye on our last trip with the effect of the laterns from Tangled on the castle (my favorite scene).

I do not believe the Orange Bird shirt with the ice cream cone is avaiable. the guy designed a shirt but that is not one you can purchase. To bad to because I like it.

Right now my kids love Disney and we can vacation during off peak times. When it gets to the point where they don't and we can't - then we will try vacationing other places. Despite all the negatives once I'm in the Disney Bubble I'm a happy gal.

~Amanda

caryrae
05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
We like to be spontaneous on Disney trips. We don't even plan what park we are going to until we get there and most of the time the day before. I am not one of those people who like to plan details, I just like to do whatever whenever I feel. I have to follow a schedule the rest of the year for work and don't want to have to do it on vacation.

darthmacho
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Waiting patiently for the podcast to be available on iTunes...

Meanwhile, Septbride, on the NextGen subject: I've got mixed feelings, but let's face it, if it's coming, we best adapt. That being said, I'm a planner, but I like to keep my plans flexible. I can see the advantage in getting to book rides like Toy Story Mania, Soarin, and Splash Mountain would be ideal, since the stress of getting to them early can really wear you down.

Ian
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
My best of special effects would be how Disney is able to synchronize the beat of music to practically anything. IE: The dancing fountain in Epcot. The Magic Memories and you projection on the Castle. The strobe effects, fireworks and light shows during Wishes, Illimunations, etc. That is by far my favorite special effect :) I saw this fascinating documentary back right after Reflections of Earth debuted that showed how they created the show. I would assume it was on the Travel Channel or something, but it was really neat.

Basically they had these two fireworks guys sitting in a room with a computer listening to the soundtrack. They could pick out what type of firework(s) they wanted and then, as the soundtrack played, they just hit a button on the PC and it marked that as the exact moment they wanted the shell to display. I would assume the system them worked backwards and accounted for the launch time to ensure the shell detonated at the correct time in synch with the music.

Haven't seen that show since and I really wish I could find it.

Septbride2002
05-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Waiting patiently for the podcast to be available on iTunes...

Meanwhile, Septbride, on the NextGen subject: I've got mixed feelings, but let's face it, if it's coming, we best adapt. That being said, I'm a planner, but I like to keep my plans flexible. I can see the advantage in getting to book rides like Toy Story Mania, Soarin, and Splash Mountain would be ideal, since the stress of getting to them early can really wear you down.

I like being flexible as well (which is why like Ian we no longer make a ton of ADRs) but is there a big difference from planning to be at rope drop, made the mad dash to Soarin/TSM/etc to get fast passes OR you can secure your fastpass from home on a day you know you will be at that park? That way instead of the mad dash in the morning you can walk calmly towards Nemo and Friends :)

~Amanda

John
05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I looked this morning and I see it on iTunes

Melanie
05-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I can't speak for everyone on the panel, but I know my negativity, as discussed on the other thread regarding this, comes from the complete lack of official information on this from beginning to end. It's been a PR mess! And sorry, what I've seen proposed (as rumor or whatever) isn't to my liking, especially looking at it from a "local" perspective. So yeah, while everyone on the east coast is adapting and accepting, I'm going to Disneyland! :D

TinkerbellT421
05-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I saw this fascinating documentary back right after Reflections of Earth debuted that showed how they created the show. I would assume it was on the Travel Channel or something, but it was really neat.

Basically they had these two fireworks guys sitting in a room with a computer listening to the soundtrack. They could pick out what type of firework(s) they wanted and then, as the soundtrack played, they just hit a button on the PC and it marked that as the exact moment they wanted the shell to display. I would assume the system them worked backwards and accounted for the launch time to ensure the shell detonated at the correct time in synch with the music.

Haven't seen that show since and I really wish I could find it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! That kind of show is right up dbf and I's alley. Going to have to see if I can find it on the youtubes!

Quadstriker
05-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Like has been said a billion times. We just don't know what the deal is with NextGen and that's the frustrating part.

Ian pretty much hit it. A billion dollars. You don't spend a billion dollars without expecting to make more than a billion dollars. And it has to be quite a significant amount more based on the risk and opportunity cost.

For comparison, Minnesota just laid the plans for a new state of the art stadium for the Vikings at the cost of 900 million dollars. This is more than a new stadium. For what? RFID chips? Advance dining orders? Scheduling rides? Say what now? How does that make sense? There's much more here than we know and Disney has their lips sealed about it - to the point where people are getting angry because none of this makes any sense.

Where's the money going to come from? What exactly is a billion freaking dollars being spent on? There's more here than "Hmm we think can draw more people into the parks with interactive queues, advance food orders, paying a dining bill by swiping your bracelet, and reserving times for watching parades and riding rides." We just don't know what it is.

And if all this turns out to be a complex pay for play system such as "Hey pay 10 bucks and you can schedule your ride time for Soarin'!" people are going to be beyond ticked off. I'm concerned that's what it's going to be now due to the silence coming from Disney Corp. on the issue.

Septbride2002
05-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I can't speak for everyone on the panel, but I know my negativity, as discussed on the other thread regarding this, comes from the complete lack of official information on this from beginning to end. It's been a PR mess! And sorry, what I've seen proposed (as rumor or whatever) isn't to my liking, especially looking at it from a "local" perspective. So yeah, while everyone on the east coast is adapting and accepting, I'm going to Disneyland! :D

I agree that PR has left much to be desired. Makes you wonder if the initial back lash has caused them to go back to the drawing board.

~Amanda

Quadstriker
05-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Best part of the podcast

"We crank because we care" said in the "It's not a board room fellas" voice.

Buttercup
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh my goodness, every time I hear the "It's Not A Boardroom Fellas" voice I bust out laughing!!! I must look like an idiot to other cars on the road -- like I'm a crazy lady maniacally laughing behind the wheel as I drive!

Hey, I'm @inbloomphoto, by the way! You guys are right: I'm definitely a "SHE" and I do love Duran Duran! lol You can also call me Carolyn. :mickey: Ian stole my favorite special effect, so I will say my NEW favorite is when you're going down the hallway in Haunted Mansion where there are portraits on the wall, but every time the lightning strikes the portraits change into something sinister.... Haunted Mansion is JUST. SO. DARN. GOOD!

Gary's Column
05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
This episode would have been better if I had been mentioned at least once.

1 of 5 stars.

ryca1dreams
05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
The INTERCOT Insider Live PodcastEpisode 33 - We Crank Because We Care

- The simplicity of an old theme park experience & Knobels Grove

- We rehash the merchandising debate and are hopeful of the direction clothing wise

Speaking of Knobels Grove - Dollywood is another one of those nice old parks that is still fun to go to. They are really working on theming and actually builsing new rides (what a concept!)

Also, as far as the homogonization of merchandise, I first started noticing this is the "Disney Parks" vacation planning DVDs. No matter what you requested, they sent this kind of all inclusive DVD that was pretty lame and low on content, unless you like people telling you over and over that Disney World is in Florida and Disneyland is in California (of course, some people do mess that up still)

I'm holding out on the NextGen debate but if it's like you think it will be, we won't step foot in WDW again.

Good podcast as always. Thanks.

BrerGnat
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm mostly with you guys on the NexGen thing, but a part of me is secretly STOKED that I might be able to reserve a specific time to ride some stuff. My kids are notoriously choosy when it comes to Disney rides due to their autism/sensory issues, and as much as we are there "to have fun as a family", a little part of me dies every time I have to walk by Expedition Everest or Splash Mountain (or any of my other favorites) and not ride. :(

I would love to be able to make select ride reservations, and show up, get on by myself and then we can be on our merry way as a family in a matter of a few minutes. The way it is now, we just have to skip the stuff WE (DH and I) want to do, or else spend a lot of time waiting around for each other while the other one stays with the kids.

Soooo, I might be the first person on Intercot to say that the ability to make ride reservations is VERY appealing to me, from a purely selfish standpoint. :blush:

As for special effects, overall, the Haunted Mansion is just one big, awesome special effect. I will also say, although I don't love the ride, the effect of the Nemo characters swimming around in the lagoon at Disneyland in the Finding Nemo submarine ride is pretty darn cool. :thumbsup:

dpamac
05-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Speaking of Knobels Grove - Dollywood is another one of those nice old parks that is still fun to go to. They are really working on theming and actually builsing new rides (what a concept!)

Their sister park Silver Dollar City in Branson, which is much older, is another great example. It's one of the few non-Disney theme parks I enjoy because the themeing, costuming, overall feel, everything is spot on across the board. They have some pretty great rides too. Fewer butterflies than Dollywood. Plus, it's outside of Branson so you don't have to actually go into Branson to see it.

Dopey's Girl
05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Yet another great podcast.

NexGen...ugh. I'm not a planner. I know when I'm going, and where I'm staying. That is about it, the rest of my trip is 100% let's see where the day takes us. The idea of having to plan to the second is very unappealing. But I'm going to try to keep an open mind and see what happens. It's the lack of official info that bothers me too.

I hope nobody takes your clown balloon making comments seriously. Aside from NexGen, clowns roaming the resort area would chase me out! (Hello POFQ, I'm talking to you!)

Favorite special effects...I love the party scene in Haunted Mansion. It's really old school, and hasn't changed in a really long time, but it's still so cool. I also love the new hitchiking ghosts...they do some pretty neat stuff now!

Gary's Yetti comment...I snorted at my desk at that one. The cube neighbors are looking at me like I'm crazy again.

Thanks again for the free (even though it was cranky, which still cracked me up. I especially loved Sydney Crysby!) entertainment!

darthmacho
05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
This episode would have been better if I had been mentioned at least once.

1 of 5 stars.

I know what you mean, Mr. Column. :humph:

:D

ryca1dreams
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
My favorite special effect is still Pooh drifting into his dream. It's probably the same technology as in HM and others, but it just looks so cool.

A more subtle special (audio) effect is also in Haunted Mansion when the music changes into a creepy "Here comes the bride". It always gives me chills.

Melanie
05-21-2012, 05:53 PM
I know what you mean, Mr. Column. :humph:

:rotfl:

bleukarma
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm so happy that Mel is going to remain a Lightning fan after she moves! Go Bolts!!! :mickey:

My favorite special effect is in Rock'n Roller coaster. Aerosmith is magically in the recording studio every time I walk into that building! Amazing!

BriarRose0708
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for another funny, if cranky, Podcast. I agree that the plans for NexGen and Fastpasses had been better communicated maybe we wouldn't have to fill in the blanks ourselves. I am also of the "wait and see" mind set but not sure how I feel about it. I'm not a huge fan of change to begin with and think that fastpass works the way it was intended to just fine as it is. Even though we all use Fastpass in some capacity I'm still amazed at the number of people that go on their Disney vacations and don't even KNOW about Fastpass! Maybe the changes are also to make it more visible to first-timers or those that haven't done research.

Ian (I think it was him) brings up a good point that just because I have a fastpass and am not in a queue, it doesn't mean I'm spending money elsewhere in a park. I'm usually taking in another attraction, at a character meet, or eating (which would count as spending money but not hundreds on merchandise). I do my fair share of souvenir shopping, but as I go more and more often I find I'm coming home with less stuff.

Ah, another Knobel's Grove reference! Love that place. I have many memories of going to that park with my dad as a kid. I went on my very first roller coaster, the food there is AMAZING and I had my very first sips of Birch Beer there. I think we still have the plastic mugs it came in. To this day, I will not go on haunted houses (HM being the exception) because the one at Knobel's scarred me for life. Also, John you unknowingly settled a dispute between my sister and me - the K is silent! I must make her listen to your pronunciation because she insists it's KUHnobel's.

Favorite special effects ok- I love the Tower of Terror effects! Especially when the elevator car moves forward, I was not expecting that my first time riding and it was really cool.

Tink1
05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Also, John you unknowingly settled a dispute between my sister and me - the K is silent! I must make her listen to your pronunciation because she insists it's KUHnobel's.

OK, thought this was going to be a sauce vs gravy thing because up here we say KUH as well. Checked their website and it is KUHnoebles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRGNO4-GGU&feature=youtu.be is their commercial. They say KUH.

Nobels is a furniture store up here.

Nanc

dpamac
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
OK, thought this was going to be a sauce vs gravy thing because up here we say KUH as well. Checked their website and it is KUHnoebles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRGNO4-GGU&feature=youtu.be is their commercial. They say KUH.

Nanc

Looks like that settles it. You can't argue with the source.

John
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Crud - over the years I have said it both ways and wasn't really sure which way was right. Looks like I was pronouncing the town it's in wrong too.... :shake:

Tink1
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Crud - over the years I have said it both ways and wasn't really sure which way was right. Looks like I was pronouncing the town it's in wrong too.... :shake:

:D I noticed that during the podcast, but was not going to comment!

EeL-e's-burg (our coal man delivers from there)

Nanc

Mendelson
05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Has anyone else knoticed that two hours is the knew one hour for podcast length?

Knot that I'm complaining....Kno arguments here!

Tink1
05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Knot that I'm complaining....Kno arguments here!

:rotfl::funny::rotfl::funny:

BriarRose0708
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Nanc

Dang, now I have to concede to my sister, and I hate doing that!

I always thought is was pronounced Eli's-burg.

dpamac
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
In fairness both the town and the park name don't exactly follow the conventions of the language.

PopPhan
05-24-2012, 10:55 AM

I honestly believe that the internet and sites like INTERCOT (as much as I love this site) add to the problems with conjecture and rumor.

Something Disney Parks related gets mentioned, in passing or otherwise, and IMMEDIATELY all the discussion sites are abuzz with rumor and conjecture of what this comment was all about, how it will be implemented (always considered to be done poorly,) and how much people HATE the idea.

Even things that are "Blue Sky" ideas get taken and expounded upon in length without details from Imaginearing or the actual "powers that be."

This is not just a Disney problem/concern....I work on a sales/marketing program for a company in the Fortune 100 and I am constantly barraged with 'projects' that are in the 'Blue Sky' level of development. There has been no real development done on the project, but the idea was mentioned and we just HAVE to have it in the sales/marketing program to beat our competitors to the punch. Often, the project gets dropped or has no relationship to the original idea.

It's nice to speculate, but when these speculations and conjectures become points of contention with the company and other discussion participants, it's time to step back and let the REAL information come out.

Just my 2 cents worth...Not trying to start any fights or cast aspersions on my favorite Disney discussion board or the people thereon.

==============

For Ian: The Haunted Mansion walk-thru was part of the "Room 4 1 More" event, if I recall correctly.

diz_girl
05-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for another enjoyable Podcast. I definitely missed Carol. Michael hasn't been on recently and Jeff hasn't been on in a long time. When will they return?

Firstly, :welcome: to Gary's Column to the boards. Love the hat!

Secondly - what's Ian's beef with Sidney Crosby? Is this based in jealousy that the Penguins got him and not the Flyers?

While the Next Gen stuff does sound complicated, I'd welcome scheduling a FP for TSM, as I've never ridden it even though I've been to WDW twice since it opened. The lines aren't worth it, not with two young children in tow.

I know several people who camp at Knoebels a lot and they love it. Maybe we'll camp there and bring Minnie (our vintage travel trailer) along.

As for the merchandise, when we were there six months ago, it was a bit uninspired. Didn't see the Orange Bird Merchandise in Adventureland. I actually didn't even go into the Emporium or Mouse Gears this time. The only shopping that I did was in the gift shop at the CR, the Uptown Jewelers in MK where you can get the D&B purses, the Harambe gift place in AK, and the kiosk in Tomorrowland that sells some Buzz stuff, but I could have done a lot more damage. I actually didn't have much time to shop because I was too busy on the rides and tending to my kids.

I agree with Gary about DVC at FW. I actually ranted a little in the DVC forum, not about Gary's point, but other reasons. Attaching DVC to a non-Deluxe resort just doesn't feel right. How are they going to price the cash rooms? Why stay there when you can stay in the cabins for less. But I do agree that they should leave FW alone. It's unique and should stay that way.

Lastly, my favorite special effect was tough. I'd probably agree with Ian about the ballroom scene in HM.

Looking forward to the next one.

PopPhan
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Nanc

Nanc

Wasn't going to make a big deal about Knoebel's, but being from the immediate vicinity (Mt. Carmel...and my uncle lived in Danville), it is definitely Kuh-noe-buhlz Groves and Ee-leez-burg.

Of course, we 'coal crackers' say things differently anyway!! :D

Ian
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Secondly - what's Ian's beef with Sidney Crosby? Is this based in jealousy that the Penguins got him and not the Flyers?Uh, no. My beef with him is that he's got talent beyond imagination, yet he plays the game like a soft, spoiled, whiny little girl.

finaldynasty
05-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to say..I loved podcast 33..very good job!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Uh, no. My beef with him is that he's got talent beyond imagination, yet he plays the game like a soft, spoiled, whiny little girl.

Exactly!!!!!

diz_girl
06-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I was just listening to the Podcast again. When Eisner was mentioned, it made me remember that he was the person who green-lit Schoolhouse Rock. So all of you Gen Xers who fondly remember Schoolhouse Rock, you can thank Eisner for brining it to ABC. You can also get it on the Prime. I'd recommend the 30th anniversary edition, which is what I have at home. MY DS4 loves Conjunction Junction.

tinkman
06-14-2012, 07:04 AM
First off, I apologize for the long post. Wait, apologizing is a weakness. Oh well.
I've listened to this podcast at least 5 times. NextGen: The ability to schedule a ride ahead of time will not increase flow-through of any ride. There are only a couple ways to increase flow through. 1) Speed up the ride (reduce cycle time). 2) Increase capacity of ride vehicles.
Look at Splash Mountain. Bear with me on the actual numbers though I think this is close. A boat is launched every 30 secs. Boat capacity is 8 people. That's 120 boats per hour times 8 people or 960 people per hour. The only way to increase the number of people per hour is to speed up the ride, in other words, launch a boat every 25 secs. Now, keep in mind that there is a limit....they have to maintain a minimum distance and spacing. Reduce the boat launch time from 30 to 25 secs and your hourly rate goes from 960 to 1152 people per hour. Also, adding more boats to the ride will not increase through-put. Typically, ride controllers start out the day with a reduced number of ride vehicles then as the crowds grow, they will add more vehicles to get to the maximum output. There are only so many ride vehicles that can be added. All numbers that I talk about is assuming a full ride.
Next, they could change the capacity of the boats. Say from 8 to 10. Of course this would change how often they can launch since the boats would be longer...but let's leave this variable out for now. By going from 8 people to 10 people per boat, you go from 960 to 1200 people per hour.
Providing that there is always 8 people waiting for a boat and they launch one every 30 seconds it won't matter if those people "scheduled" their time or just walked in.
Take a look at another type of ride….continuous running rides. The Haunted Mansion is a perfect example. Other than stops for loading issues (i.e. someone from a wheelchair) or mechanical issues, this ride does not stop to load people. Never actually put a stopwatch on this, but I would guess that the Doombuggys move on about a 5 sec cycle. With 2 people per Doombuggy, that would be about 1440 people per hour. Other than revamping the ride to accept more people per Doombuggy or speeding up the ride even more, there is no way to get more people per hour through it.
I must believe that Disney is more interested in “park throughput”, that is, guests coming in the gates. NextGen could have a very negative effect on the guest experience but better for Disney, in the short term.
NextGen may actually increase park attendance by giving people a false sense of “not having to wait for ride” concept. So, as a guest prior to my trip, I get online and plan out all the rides and attractions I want to see, get an assigned time, then when I arrive, just start jumping in line, thinking that since I have a “time” I won’t have to wait. However, thousands of other people have done the same thing! People will be behind me and in front of me. Now, the parks have higher attendance filled with people who think they won’t have to wait for a ride. There are already many guests who do not understand the FastPass concept. We see so many people struggle with this on every trip. Now, imagine the first time guests who show up and see that standby wait time is even longer because of NextGen that they didn’t know about or understand when they were planning their first trip.
I completely agree with the opinions in the podcast. Don’t keep spending money on mythological systems that artificially gives guests a sense of “not waiting for anything”. Spend the money on new attractions and rides, expanding the parks making them more guest friendly and dispersing crowds. Toy Story Mania and Soarin’ should tell Disney what guests want. TSM: A ball on a string pulled as fast as you can until you get carpel tunnel and Soarin’: Sitting on a swing in front of a huge movie screen.