PDA

View Full Version : Face moisturizer - what's your favorite?

TheVBs
05-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm currently using Mary Kay Timewise products and I think they're great. But a friend recently told me that her dermatologist said that there are great products in the drug store - no need to spend a lot of money. It would be nice to just be able to walk over to CVS and grab something instead of having to order it. Anyone have any experience with a product you can just buy at a drugstore? The only thing I have ever tried from there was Oil of Olay and it was a disaster. Any input would be great!

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I use Lancome products, which are available at Departments stores and pharmacies, but they are not cheap. Nice thing is that often you are given really awsome "gift" bags for making a minimum purchase. My :twocents:

My former boss, who is in her 60s and has lovely skin, swears by Noxema. Plain and simple.

BrerGnat
05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I have never bought Department store cosmetics OR skin care products. Those products are no better than the stuff in CVS. The main ingredients are the SAME.

I personally have good luck with Aveeno brand moisturizers for daytime (with SPF). I use Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer for daytime.

I like Olay Regenerist Night Cream (it's a light purple color). It's wonderfully hydrating and absorbs quickly. Whenever I go to get facials, I am always complemented on how well hydrated my skin is. I often use this night cream during the day if I won't be outdoors. Target makes a "knockoff" and I buy that one when they are out of stock of the Olay, and it's about $18. The Olay isn't cheap (about $25 per jar) but it's very good! Olay also has a large line of "specialty" products which have gotten good marks from "the experts."

Target has the best prices on Olay products.

BriarRose0708
05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
So I am biased because I am a Mary Kay consultant. Although I understand where you are coming from.

Yes, you can get products in the drugstore that are half the price of Mary Kay but I just feel you get what you pay for. None of those creams or cleansers have gotten the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval multiple years in a row like Timewise (which means the independent tests concluded that these products actually do what they advertise they do). And those creams aren't formulated to last as long as MK products. If you find you're going through your moisturizer really fast (like a bottle every 1 to 2 months is too fast!) talk to your Consultant- you may need to switch formulas. Are you using Timewise Cleanser too? When you mix and match skin care that can also cause problems. Systems are meant to be used together because they work together, so maybe the current cleanser you're using is too drying, which is why you may feel you need to load up on moisturizer.

Customer service with MK can be up and down depending on your consultant. I completely understand that and I would never want anyone to have a bad experience with MK but I do recognize it happens! If you want more readily available product call her when you are two thirds done with whatever product you may need. This way your new bottle will be in your hands just in time and you won't have to go a couple days or weeks without your product.

What you chose to do is completely up to you, but again I'm a little biased! I'd encourage you to stick with MK but if you want to try something else go for it. Before I used MK I used Cetaphyl (very sensitive skin!) and it was decent. It actually cost about the same.

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2012, 09:54 AM
I have never bought Department store cosmetics OR skin care products. Those products are no better than the stuff in CVS. The main ingredients are the SAME. EXcept that L'Oreal has a strict no animal testing policy. Lancome is a L'Oreal product, and they do not test on animals. That is very very important to me. As of February 2011, Olay brands still do, and Mary Kay and Avon have resumed testing for the Chinese markets.
...... Addition
Actually ... just read that L'Oreal is retracting their testing policy based on getting back into the Chinese market (which requires testing on animals in order to be sold). Therefore my Lancome stuff is no longer "no animal testing" in my opinion. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone can come in with good suggestions!

Disney Doll
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I have been an Oil of Olay user in the past and really like their Total Effects with SPF 15. However, I recently had some trouble with allergies and decided to switch to something more natural so I started using Burt's Bees for sensitive skin and I really like it. They have a day cream with SPF 15 if you prefer that, but a lot of the chemical SPFs can be irritating to sensitive skin so I like that they offer the version without.

BriarRose0708
05-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes, if a cosmetics company wants to market in China they need to comply with Chinese law which may include animal testing. With that said, in Mark Kay NONE of the products made in China are sold in the USA. In fact, what you buy in the United States is made in Dallas, TX.

This is something I have struggled with too since finding out about the Chinese market. I go back and forth. I love my business and still believe in the quality of Mary Kay products and other things the company stands for, as well as the Mary Kay Foundation. But then as an animal lover, I don't condone animal testing. Got some more values assessment and soul searching to do, I guess...

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
This is something I have struggled with too since finding out about the Chinese market. I go back and forth. I love my business and still believe in the quality of Mary Kay products and other things the company stands for, as well as the Mary Kay Foundation. But then as an animal lover, I don't condone animal testing. Got some more values assessment and soul searching to do, I guess...
We can start our own little support group! :hug:

diz_girl
05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm also of the opinion that 'you get what you pay for'. I actually do not get my skin care products from the drugstore, but from higher-end lines. What I use now is (mostly) Murad and some Skinceuticals, Phytomer and Jurlique. A little goes a long way with these products. The products are very refined and pure and one $50 tube/jar of moisurizer can definitely last at least 4 months, but normally up to 6 months.

I actually used Noxema once, just once. My face broke out in a rash that one time. I sometimes use the Neutrogena Anti-Aging sunscreen. It works well, but the yellow pigment shows on my face, so I just use that on my arms and legs and use a better brand for my face.

I also seek out products that are not tested on animals, and most drugstore products test on animals, so I try to steer clear of them.

SurferStitch
05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm a fan of Bare Escentuals.... especially the Rare Minerals line.

I get great hydration and age fighting, without the heaviness of some age fighting creams. I never break out, and their products have that "spa" scent (kind of mineral/earthy/fresh) that I love.

The price definitely isn't cheap, but isnt' rediculous either.

BriarRose0708
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
We can start our own little support group! :hug:
Thanks Jen!

I actually used Noxema once, just once. My face broke out in a rash that one time.
This reminds me of something I forgot to mention earlier just about skin care in general. A ton of women have sensitive skin, but there's a big difference between a "breakout" like a pimple, and an allergic reaction. A reaction to an ingredient is hot, itchy, red and/ or burning sensation on the skin and you shouldn't use that product again. Getting a blemish, though, is just a blemish and not a reaction.

Sorry to be taking up so much space on this thread. I just really like talking about skin care :blush:

DVC2004
05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I use Oil of Olay Complete I think it's called, daily moisturizer. I've used it for years and I am happy with it. I also sometimes use a tinted- tan building face moisturizer and I can't remember who makes it, maybe Aveeno. It's good for a little added color- goes on even, not "orange" and also has SPF. I spray tan regularly, so the tinted one tends to keep my "tan" more even since all the washing of the face/removal of makeup causes it to fade quicker there than the rest of my body.

I don't get into the expensive creams...yet. Maybe when I see more lines I will. I do spend a little more on cosmetics though and have switched that over the drugstore brands just this last 6 months or so. I've found they hold up better (they eye shadows especially) and that to me is worth the extra cost.

Dragongirlx
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I use the body shops vitamin e cream. Its really good and not tested on animals, plus they do an intensive one for the winter which I really need with the weather we get here in Scotland. Its not too pricy about £12 a tub which lasts for quite a while - That's about $18 at the current exchange rate.

BrerGnat
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I just have to ask this, because I've always wondered:

If they don't test on animals, what do they test on? Humans? Is that better?

Kenny1113
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I have sensitive skin. The only products I have been able to use without a reaction are from origins.

To answer regarding human vs animals. Yes it is better because humans would have a choice and options.

Mickey'sGirl
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I just have to ask this, because I've always wondered:

If they don't test on animals, what do they test on? Humans? Is that better?There is technology which "grows" human skin etc, and that is used for testing.

Also, humans would be able to sign onto participating in the testing ... usually for some kind of financial gain, so yeah, in my opinion it is better.

BrerGnat
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
You know what's interesting to think about, though, regarding the "no animal testing".

A lot of companies can get away with saying that nowadays, because all the INGREDIENTS in their products have ALREADY undergone animal testing. Many of the base ingredients in health and beauty products were tested ages ago, by the big corporations, on animals. It's probably really easy for a company to get away with that claim, and make themselves seem better by it because all the testing was done for them a long time ago and they don't need to do any more testing.

While I don't agree with animal testing in general, I have a hard time believing that there are products being sold marked as such, that do NOT contain ingredients that were tested on animals a long time ago and proven to be okay for humans. Most beauty care products contain similar base ingredients. If "sodium laureth sulfate" for example, was tested on animals in the 70's, and was cleared as "safe" back then, there would be no need to test it now, but that doesn't mean that the product could contain that ingredient, and claim "no animal testing."

It's like the "no artificial ingredients" claim, but then an ingredient called "natural flavors." What does that mean?

Sorry to go off topic, but I just am very skeptical of ANY marketing claims that are so broad. They are usually not telling the whole truth.

bleukarma
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
It's funny, all throughout my 20's I would use Oil of Olay anti aging moisturizer. I figured it wouldnt hurt to get a jump start on keeping my skin youthful looking. Then one day a few years ago my face started breaking out into tiny red bumps. I tried everything but my skin was just so sensitive. At one point I was just putting antihistamine cream on my face as moisturizer. Then I switched to natural vitamin E and jojoba oil. Now I use Say Yes To Cucumbers. It says it's 99.6% natural, but it doesnt break out my skin. You can get it at Target or Walgreens for like $10. They also have a line of Say Yes to Carrots. The cucumbers is for the sensitive skin though. It makes my face so smooth! I will probably stick with it unless it starts suddenly breaking my face out.

TheVBs
05-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the responses! :)

I should back up a little bit and say that I'm very pleased with the Mary Kay products! I have the Timewise cleanser, day serum, night serum, moisturizer and eye cream. Great stuff!

But, when my friend told me what her dermatologist said, I thought it was worth putting some thought and effort into. It would be great if there were a product I could just pick up at Meijers or CVS, and if I could save a little money too, bonus!

I'm a little leery about trying Oil of Olay again, because it really made me break out. But, with so many recommendations, it's worth thinking about. I've heard Aveeno products are good, and I've always been curious about the Say Yes To products. I love the Burt's Bees lip tints and I've been curious about their face products too. I really want to avoid going to the mall. I would definitely opt to stay with Mary Kay before going out to the mall for something, that would be much less convenient for me.

And, I'm embarrassed to say that I thought animal testing on these types of products was a thing of the past. :( I'm not usually that naive. BrerGnat, it makes good sense to be skeptical of those marketing claims! I guess all we can do is research what we can and make our best choices from there. I certainly wouldn't want to use a product from a company that currently does animal testing. :(

BriarRose0708
05-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I have researched since yesterday into the animal testing in China issue. Here's a summary of what I found on the Mary Kay croporate website:

Recently China changed it's laws that any cosmetic that is on the Chinese market must be handed over to the Chinese government for approval to be sold in stores. After the products are in the hands of the Chinese, it is China's law to test cosmetics on animals before distribution to the public. So while American cosmetic companies (Avon, Mary Kay, L'Oreal, etc.) are not testing ingredients on animals themselves, if they do business on the Chinese market they are cognizant (but not in control) of what the Chinese do. Thus, PETA removed many cosmetics brands from their approved list. In Mary Kay's case, they have been established in China for many years before these laws were changed (and I am assuming it's the same for other brands). I think that pulling out of China would make an incredible statement that the well being and ethical treatment of animals comes before capital gain, but we live in the USA, lol.

So with that in mind, as more informed consumers it's up to you to decide whether or not to continue using your favorite brands. I'm with you, TheVBs, that I thought animal testing was no longer around and it's one of the reasons I started my business with Mary Kay in the first place! With technology these days there should be absolutely no reason to use animals as subjects, even in medicine.