PDA

View Full Version : Do the Points Ever Change?

Pastcastmember1715
05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
We are getting ready to take the "plunge" and become a DVC member. We've been doing the research over about the past year and since we average about 20-25 days per year at WDW it seems like one of those "duh" moments when you ask yourself why didn't we do the sooner :confused:
The only question I have so far for everyone is do the point requirements ever change from year to year as this year it's 107 pts to stay at VWL for the first few weeks of Dec, will that ever change or does it remain the same throughout the life of your contract? Thanks

DizneyRox
05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Yep, it can change... Won't change drastically, but it could...

For example, it probably won't jump to 250 points instead of 107, but I guess anything could happen. A smaller change, maybe a couple points per day is much more likely.

I tell people, when buying points, figure out what you need by upping either the season you intend to go, or accommodations you NEED (notice I didn't say want).

I wouldn't buy for example thinking you'll be able to get a Beach Club Standard Studio. The standard studios are very limited and many times not available. You might need to pony up for the preferred.

Our first contract was a very odd number of point, but we came to that based on many factors. We were able to borrow and bank and never seemed to be at a loss for coverage. We go during Magic Season when we go, it's a peak time...

In 2004, that room was 104 points.

mdhiggin
05-16-2012, 10:27 PM
What I understand is, they can't change the total amount of points per year, they can only rearrange them. So, if a 2 bedroom is 100 pts in December of 2012, they can change it to 110 the next year but must come down the 10 points added for another time of year or maybe a different room size at that villa. They can adjust the points higher or lower, but the total must stay the same. I hope this makes sense. I'm confusing myself.

Ed
05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
mdhiggin pretty much nailed it. :thumbsup:

I recall having that explained to us by our Guide and it's also spelled out somewhere in ther pile of paperwork called the contract.

TheDuckRocks
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
In 2004, that room was 104 points.

What is the location and how many points would you need in 2012 or 2013?
I'm just interested because I have always wondered how my point use will change in a number of years from now.

DVC2004
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah it's called re-allocation. The total number of points can't change but the amount on different nights or different times of year can go up or down within that number. If one night goes up another has to go down somewhere on that particular points chart. A Mon night stay in a studio goes up 2 points a night, they can drop a stay in a Grand Villa down 2 points a night to equal out for example. They rarely did this up until a few years ago. Now they've down it a few times.

IDK I've had the same amount of points since I joined in 2004 and it hasn't really mattered for us. We travel all different time of year and stay in different unit styles for different amounts of time. I think it would most affect those that use theirs the same time of year, every year in the same type of room. Like say if you bought to go for 1 week in a 1 BR every year the last week of March at the Beach Club. It would probably be more of an issue if that is your vacation style and you bought a certain amount based on that.

Pastcastmember1715
05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info,without getting into a great debate I am feeling better that this is something that is right for us. I went back the past 5 years and figured we averaged about $4000 per year in lodging at WDW....now I'm really beating myself up. Why didn't we do this sooner???????:bang:

tdk316
05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info,without getting into a great debate I am feeling better that this is something that is right for us. I went back the past 5 years and figured we averaged about $4000 per year in lodging at WDW....now I'm really beating myself up. Why didn't we do this sooner???????:bang:

Right there with you... we're finally doing DVC after 10 years of thinking/debating/stressing about it! It's our anniversary present to ourselves. :mickey:

tinkman
05-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Just another affirming statement from a DVC member.. Points can, and have been reallocated but when one goes up, another goes down. Overall points remain the same. For example, a couple years ago the Fri & Sat point requirement went down and the Sunday-Thursday went up a little...if I remember it went from 8pts per night to 10 or 11. This upset alot of people because they would only use their points Sun-Thurs, now it was "costing" them more. for us, we stay at least a week or two and since the weekly pts didn't change, it didn't matter to us. Not only do they readjust daily pts, the seasons can move around a little too.