PDA

View Full Version : How many untouched/unchanged rides are there?

caryrae
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I was just watching some ride videos on youtube and started thinking how many attractions that have been around many years at any park have not been changed/upgraded? What is the oldest one that has not changed?

zipadeedoodah
05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
The only ones that come to mind are Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise perhaps?

I don't think Splash Mountain has been changed, but that isn't an old attraction in comparison.

ThanxForNoticin
05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Interesting question.

The one that came to my mind was the Tomorrowland Grand Prix. But I'm sure just about all the attractions have changed in some way. For example, the "show" portion have Jungle Cruise has definitely changed over the years, if not the attraction itself. I can remember when the captain of the boat had a toy gun as part of the show! That was removed many years ago.

retiredfigment
05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
What a great question. I hope more people reply. I too remember the gun on the Jungle Cruise now that you mention it.

caryrae
05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Have only done it twice but how about the Swiss Family Tree house?

zipadeedoodah
05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I believe the Maelstrom attraction at EPCOT's Norway hasn't changed either, now that I think about it. Even the movie at the end is the same since 1988! lol

Davy Crockett
05-14-2012, 12:24 PM
How about It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion. I'm not sure about Small World but I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed. After Disney made the movie.
I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

joonyer
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
The Speedway track and cars are the same as always, but the theme has been changed (or sponsor at least). Cindy's Carousel is the same and the Tea Cups. Big Thunder and Splash Mountain are the same I believe, although BTMRR is getting a queue upgrade. There are not many that have been left untouched.

zipadeedoodah
05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
How about It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion. I'm not sure about Small World but I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed. After Disney made the movie.
I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

HM just had an update a couple of years ago...with lots of changes added. Also, It's a Small World has been updated recently!

WDWdriver
05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
... I remember as a child in the 70's going through the HM and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed.

Actually, there were many changes to HM made during the refurb in 2007. Among those were a completely new staircase scene, the floating Madame Leota, a new attic scene with a new bride (Constance) and the five changing portraits of her husbands, a few changes to the graveyard scene, and of course a new version of the hitchhiking ghosts. A completely new audio system and new sound effects were also added.

Jared
05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I was just watching some ride videos on youtube and started thinking how many attractions that have been around many years at any park have not been changed/upgraded? What is the oldest one that has not changed?
The real answer? Too many.

No attraction should go unchanged for 25 or 30 or 40 years. It doesn't matter how "classic" or "timeless" it is. The Haunted Mansion, the darling of Phil Holmes's Magic Kingdom, is a phenomenal example of a beloved attractions receiving tasteful and appropriate upgrades.

Peter Pan's Flight is the most pressing ride that needs a major facelift now. It deserves a yearlong refurbishment. Jungle Cruise is in the same position, but there are lots of rumors these days that it will soon go under the knife.

Coach Goofy
05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Carousel of Progress I believe is just as Walt had it at the World's Fair. I think the last scene might have been updated quite a while ago, but it hasn't been touched in a long time.

AmandaChan
05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!

Small world - added movie characters.
HM - changed ghosts at end and new queue.

BTMR???
Speedway??

And I'm pretty sure they have never changed country bears jamboree right?

TinkerbellT421
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Have only done it twice but how about the Swiss Family Tree house?

Didn't that just receive a complete overhaul last year or so ago?

BTMR???

And I'm pretty sure they have never changed country bears jamboree right?

BTMMR is going through some changes currently. I don't remember how much is being changed but I know I saw it was being "updated" what exactly that means I cannot remember for the life of me.

I think your right, I don't recall ever hearing or seeing anything about an update or anything at the Country Bears, though some would argue it is in desperate need of an overhaul lol.

I agree with one of the PP that sometimes updates and changes could be a welcomed change in most cases.

MargaretMessler
05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
How about Tom Sawyer Island? I don't always venture out, but it probably hasn't changed.

texas211
05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Interesting question.

The one that came to my mind was the Tomorrowland Grand Prix. But I'm sure just about all the attractions have changed in some way. For example, the "show" portion have Jungle Cruise has definitely changed over the years, if not the attraction itself. I can remember when the captain of the boat had a toy gun as part of the show! That was removed many years ago.

I went twice last week. They were discharging firearms.

What changed in Small World? Indiana Jones?

Main Street Jim
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!small world went through an extensive queue-area redo a few years back (2007 maybe?), then they re-routed the queue (reversed the entrance and exits) a coupla years back. They've also added a "Mary Blair" doll to the Europe/Eiffel Tower scene.

HM has been "redone" a few times as well. FastPass added, then removed. The "spider room" was removed and the "Stair room" was added in its place. The attic has been redone a coupla times as well, with the bride redone and moved from the right side to the left. The audio has been redone. Then, the queue was redone two years ago <I believe>.

As far as Tomorrowland Speedway goes:

In 1988, it was shortened to make room for Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/ToonTown Fair. In 1994, it was renamed "Tomorrowland Speedway" with the Tomorrowland makeover. In 1999, it was renamed "Tomorrowland Indy Speedway" and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway original 1909 brick was added, along with other IMS landmarks (the scoring tower, the "announcer", etc.). In 2009, it was renamed again back to Tomorrowland Speedway.

Not much has been left untouched. Even Country Bear Jamboree isn't immune; they had the old summertime Vacation Hoedown and the Christmas shows, which, unfortunately, no longer play.

Jungle Cruise was redone a few years back (2004-2005 timeframe, maybe?). The boats were redone.

Stu29573
05-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Interesting question.

As of last year they still used the gun, although just to show the hippos to make them leave, not to shoot! lol

Goofy4TheWorld
05-15-2012, 08:27 AM
...Jungle Cruise is in the same position, but there are lots of rumors these days that it will soon go under the knife.

Plastic surgeon or Embalmer?

:thedolls:

TheHD
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Didn't that just receive a complete overhaul last year or so ago?

I know the treehouse was down for refurb in the fall of last year. I'm not sure if anything or what was changed though.

henrylarry6
05-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Swiss family tree house is my favorite one would like to do it again.

eam
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Teacups were mentioned in a PP. Weren't they originally not covered, or am I thinking of DL?

c&d
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Astro Orbiter. I don't think that's changed.

azcavalier
05-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Just because something is closed for refurb, doesn't mean it changes. A lot of times, that's just maintenance, cleaning, etc. I don't think that counts as "untouched". I also don't think that a minor modification of a ride vehicle is a big deal, either.

Adding elements, changing soundtrack, adding or removing scenes, etc. Those are changes.

I have only been going to WDW since 2002, but I imagine that most of the "spinny" rides, such as the Tea Cups, Dumbo, Astro Orbiters, etc are untouched...until Dumbo moved recently.

Peter Pan hasn't changed.

Has Big Thunder changed? Splash Mountain? It's a Small World (besides the alteration of the loading queue).

coneheads
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Astro Orbiter has completely different vehicles than original NASA style ships plus the orbitron was added to the top. Carousel of Progress has changed the ending a couple of times since '64 I believe. Snow White had major changes because of parent complaints that it was too scary. I can't think of any changes to Peter Pan other than adding the Moon and Tinks shadow right at the entrance to the first scene. Swiss family tree house is pretty unchanged but is really an attraction not a ride. So I'd have to say the answer is zero.

DisneyDawgette
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I was under the impression that CoP has received little to no changes? I love it a lot, and it's always been the same every time I see it. :)

texas211
05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
This year, was the first time we had to park in the parking lots and take a tram and noticed they have gates now.. Didn't have that years ago.. So even they changed :)

Astro Orbiters, way different. But teacups i think might not have changed. The Grand Prix has changed names.

ryca1dreams
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I have a photo from the early 70s of the Jungle Cruise. It is amazing to see the contrast from a few decades of what I assume is natural growth (trees, etc.)

DisneyDINK
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
What about the Tiki room? Hasn't it been restored to the original Tropical Serenade (minus the fountain I hear)?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
IN little ways - EVERY thing has been changed.

I remember Peter Pan BEFORE the fluorescent paint and black lights.

Luckily - the basics of most 'classic' rides has been untouched.

texas211
05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Muppets 3d. I think that has stayed the same.

ThanxForNoticin
05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I have only been going to WDW since 2002, but I imagine that most of the "spinny" rides, such as the Tea Cups, Dumbo, Astro Orbiters, etc are untouched...until Dumbo moved recently.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the second major update/change to Dumbo over the years. Maybe 10-15 years ago, they upgraded the ride to include more elephants, and allow better on/off options for the ride - to keep it moving better.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Carousel of Progress I believe is just as Walt had it at the World's Fair. I think the last scene might have been updated quite a while ago, but it hasn't been touched in a long time.
Well, CoP, when it first came to Florida, had the "Now is the Time" theme song, and rotates counter-clockwise instead of the original clockwise direction. CoP, when it was at the World's Fair, was only one part of the three-part General Electric "Progressland" pavilion. And it reverted back to the "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" theme. So, as it's been in Florida, it's been through at least three changes.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the second major update/change to Dumbo over the years. Maybe 10-15 years ago, they upgraded the ride to include more elephants, and allow better on/off options for the ride - to keep it moving better.
Yep. 1997.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Astro Orbiter. I don't think that's changed.Was originally the StarJets - the black/white/red "jets" with the rocket tower. It changed/was refurbished in 1995 along with most of Tomorrowland.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Teacups were mentioned in a PP. Weren't they originally not covered, or am I thinking of DL?In Florida, when the park first opened, the Tea Cups were "open-air". They were covered in late 1972-early 1973.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:58 PM
...to the best of my knowledge ONLY the lady in the crystal ball has changed. After Disney made the movie.
I LOVE THAT RIDE!!!Madame Leota has never changed, with the exception of going to a digital image rather than the filmstrip that was originally used. I believe even at Disneyland, she's still the original Madame Leota (named for Imagineer Leota Toombs). However, the crystal ball now floats above the table.

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
What about the Tiki room? Hasn't it been restored to the original Tropical Serenade (minus the fountain I hear)?Yes, *most* of the original show is back in action, minus the Magic Fountain. Out in California, though, theirs has never changed :)

Main Street Jim
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Small world - added movie characters.Not at Florida's. Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland have had the Disney characters added, most notably Mulan and Mushu in Asia, and Aladdin and Jasmin in Africa. I think they also added an Alice in Europe.

TikiLounger
05-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I'll go for the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. I'm not sure, though.

KevMcNJ
05-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a photo from the early 70s of the Jungle Cruise. It is amazing to see the contrast from a few decades of what I assume is natural growth (trees, etc.)

I posted a photo here on Intercot a couple years back of the HM from our first visit back in 1971. The Mansion is more or less sitting on a barren piece of land in the photo with just some scrubby looking baby trees growing here and there

CoP had a different theme song back in the 1980s

No idea when it changed

indytraveler
05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
I believe the first change to Snow White is its shutting down. There may have been some refurbishments in years past but the ride was essentially the same. Scenes and track were the same, even the soundtrack and queue.

texas211
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I believe the first change to Snow White is its shutting down. There may have been some refurbishments in years past but the ride was essentially the same. Scenes and track were the same, even the soundtrack and queue.

No, the scenes had changed, including the ending a bit. But its going the way of Mr. Toad's .. :(