PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Rain go away!

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
05-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Leaving for Disney tomorrow :mickey:! The weather doesn't look too great - actually looks like major rain tomorrow afternoon :mad:. I can't recall ever seeing umbrellas?! Are you allowed to bring umbrellas into the parks or just use ponchos?

Jeff
05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Umbrellas are ok. We usually have a couple in our backpack.
I hope the weather is ok for you!
Have a good trip.

DisneyWFan
05-12-2012, 07:39 AM
we were down there in December and it was sunny the day we arrived that night we were at the MVMCP and the sky opened up and just wouldn't stop so we ducked into the Emporium to get ponchos which we hate :mad: and found out that the stores sell umbrellas :thumbsup: from behind the counter for a couple of dollars more so if you happen to get caught without anything that is an option

Christine
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
The rains we have been having here lately don't last long. Try not to worry too much.

And the only place they do not allow umbrellas is Fantasmic. Other than that, you're good to go! :thumbsup:

Have a fun trip! And keep this in mind: Crowds are light right now. Rain makes them even lighter! Sometimes you can find a silver lining around a rain cloud! :)

Have a wonderful trip!!!

Daisy'sMom
05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Wish it would rain here. Seems like there is an umbrella over my home. We were at MK and Epcot on Wednesday, it showered briefly at MK and that was all.
Even if it rains, you will have a great time, you'll be at Disney.:mickey:

Melanie
05-12-2012, 10:34 AM
And keep this in mind: Crowds are light right now. Rain makes them even lighter! Sometimes you can find a silver lining around a rain cloud! :)

True, true, true, and I hate to say it, we really need the rain! :blush:

I actually enjoy some rain when we're at the parks. Makes for an interesting day!

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! We are so excited to be going back to Disney ~ it's been way too long! (Savings account be damned! lol!)You are right about the showers thinning a crowd. And I am remembering to pack a few extra pair of shoes & extra socks!:thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
A rainy day in Disney is better than being anywhere else in the world. Have a great trip. I am not a fan of ponchos and use an umbrella instead. I am just always more careful of others around me.

LudwigVonDrake
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Have a great trip! A rainy day in Disney is just as magical :tink:

squad51
05-12-2012, 10:32 PM
A rainy day at Disney is still better than a clear day anywhere else. However, watch out if there is lightning. They shut down the boats and outdoor shows. When we were there last June a thunderstorm came up and they shut down the friendships between Epcot and the studios. I asked why and they said that the lightning was too dangerous. I find it funny that it was too dangerous to be in an inclosed boat but ok to walk from Epcot to the Boardwalk in a lightning storm. One of those things that make you go Hmmmm.:secret:

texas211
05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
But, small umbrellas. People who bring huge, golf style umbrellas are annoying, especially in seating areas or any other densely populated area.. Take up too much space. We pack a small one for use in certain areas, but often pack small rain coats our backpacks. Plus they have pockets which can be handy.

Tigerinvestigator
05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
May sound crazy but we actually start praying for rain as our trip approaches. We love WDW in the rain. Some of our greatest memories involve rain at WDW. The crowds thin out especially when you get one of those soaking rains during the afternoon. If the rain lasts for awhile it usually cools things off a bit (those short dowpours create a humid mess).:thumbsup:

Gator
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
If you're going in May (or June, July, August, Sept), then you have to expect rain. And probably every day. During my June trip, it rained every afternoon we were there. And on some days, it rained for hours in the morning as well. Just bring a poncho. It's part of the WDW experience in the hot months.

minnie04
05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Our rain down here is mostly in the late afternoon. You should be fine if you get an early start. Have a wonderful time rain or shine :mickey:

Belle of the Ball 051411
05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
I, too, have been watching the weather as we arrive in WDW on Thursday.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

caryrae
05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I like to use just some cheap ponchos mostly because we don't like to lug around bags or backpack and the pocho is easy to fold up and put in one of my pockets of my cargo shorts. Unless they make some pretty compact umbrellas that I don't know about?

minnie04
05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Thank you !!!

Ian
05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
We'll be arriving in WDW on Friday and have been keeping an eye on the weather, as well.

From my experience, May actually doesn't have that much rain. Also, there are many times when the weather forecasts rain and it never shows up. I think there's literally a chance for rain every day as Florida moves into summer so they just throw it on every forecast.

A note about the light crowds, though ... don't expect that to continue. We were down the same time last year and it got really crowded as we closed in on Memorial Day Weekend. One of the busiest times I've seen.

Disney Doll
05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I think our Magical Express driver hit the nail on the head when he said, "there is always a chance of rain in Disney World. The lower the percentage, the greater the chance." It's so unpredictable and the forecasts are more like random shots in the dark. We come prepared for rain every day and then if it happens it's no big deal. I agree that rain makes it kind of fun. :umbrella:

AgentC
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
We went April 19-22 and the entire weekend was supposed to be a wash out. Every day had 70-100% chance of rain. We only ended up having heavy rain one day so you just never know.

As far as umbrellas versus ponchos, I've done both and give the edge to ponchos. They can be hot and annoying but they fold up small and can be used to cover a wet seat after the rain is gone.:)

GBBT
05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
A rainy day in Disney is better than being anywhere else in the world.

Agree...:thumbsup: I'm here in BORING Myrtle Beach.....so don't be GRUMPY about it.lol