PDA

View Full Version : Heat Difference June/August

Disdaddy
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Is there much difference in the heat in early June and early August? Thinking about going next year the week after school is out our the week before school starts.

minnie04
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
hmmm they are both HOT !!! We get nice days in June, so I guess August would be the hotter of the two. By August we have had enough of the heat here. It is in the 90's at 7:00am. I would pick June. As for the parks. Just bring very light clothes... and lots of sunscreen. Take your time walking around and hit the shade every chance you get. The summers here as everyone knows are HOT, HOT, HOT!!! You just have to expect it and dress according. Make time for the pool and maybe do the parks at night.:mickey:

Drink lots of water !!!!!

floridamom
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM
I am sure the weather experts will come around with actual stats, but in my unscientific opinion, YES!

We live in the Tampa area and visit WDW every year in early June, and then again in late July. (And August just gets hotter.) Early June is less humid, and sometimes the summer afternoon thunderstorm pattern has not kicked in yet. There have even been some June evenings when I have used a sweatshirt (Crazy, I know, but I get cold in the super-cooled AC areas and just don't take it off outside.)

Disdaddy
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks. I've been in July before and don't remember it being awful, but we didn't have kids. Didn't think much of the heat then, but now we have to worry about a 6 and 2 year old being happy.

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Early June is definitely not as hot, or humid, as August. In early June there can still be pleasant days as far as heat is concerned. August.....not so much. I would count on August being the hottest month of the summer!

r4kids
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Its the August humidity that kills me! You walk outside and its blahhh. Sweat right away, hair goes crazy and its thick to breathe. I prefer early June, it can be nice during that time. :mickey:

Belle of the Ball 051411
05-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The humidity is the real difference.

Disdaddy
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
What about early April compared to early June?

minnie04
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
What about early April compared to early June?

I would do April for sure!!:thumbsup: We usually go in March & December, but April is very nice weather here... The nights are very pleasant too...

Strmchsr
05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
The reports above are quite correct. Average temps in August are warmer than early June and the dewpoint is generally higher in August making the heat index much worse. August is Orlando's hottest month of the year.

Early April, in general, is about 10-15 degrees cooler than early June. However, early April is almost always peak spring break/Easter season, which is one of the most crowded times of the year. Early June has the beginning of summer crowds, but not as bad as early April. Of the three options you've listed I would take early June hands down. Yes, it will be hot and humid, but not as much as early August and with better crowds than early April.

Disdaddy
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
That's is why I asked because we have a trip booked for the weekend of Easter through the week after for next year (first week in April). I was thinking it might be better to deal with the heat instead of the crowds.

Strmchsr
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
That's is why I asked because we have a trip booked for the weekend of Easter through the week after for next year (first week in April). I was thinking it might be better to deal with the heat instead of the crowds.

Easter weekend, and the week on either side, are almost the most crowded of the year. It's a toss up between those and Christmas/New Year's week. But, it depends on which is more important to you - lower crowds or lower heat.

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2012, 02:52 PM

We've been at all times of the year and my family would take the heat of early June over huge crowds. When it's hot out at least you have the option to return to your resort for a swim midday. With lower crowds you should be able to take the swim break and still get all you want done in the parks. If the crowds are huge, attraction lines are long, and fastpasses out early in the day, there isn't much you can do about that.

Drachengeist
05-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I wont reiterate what others have said except to say early June: Hot, Early August: "Im Melting"

But if you have a park hopper it is extremely doable. Plan to spend the coolest part of the day in places like the Studios or AK. Then shift to EPCOT to avoid that dreaded midday scorching. Most of the queues and all the rides in Epcot (except that quick portion of Test Track) are inside with AC. :cool: All the water moderates the temps and there is usually a good breeze. Magic Kingdom is kind of the middle ground. It has lots of shade but not many ways to get quickly into AC if you are really melting. Also since MK is the last park to close every day it is a great "post supper" park to enjoy.

Disney really is the happiest place on earth whether it is roasting or raining but remember than nobody can have fun if they are miserable to start with. Take the quick break between rides to sit somewhere cool and get something to drink. You wont miss out for those few min and everybody will be happier.

texas211
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm from Tx, so I know a lil bit about heat.

I've been to WDW in April, May, June, July and August... By far, July and August are the most punishing.. May and June about the same... April is a lot better..

Seems to be less humid too. August, hot, more humid, and everyone is there (tour groups, a billion regular folks, so it seams hotter)

mustBgoofy
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I would take the heat of June to the crowds at Easter anytime. I will NEVER go back at Easter time again! The crowds were horrible!!!

FutureCorpsFan
05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
August is do-able but it changes the way you vacation. We went in August two years ago and you find yourself getting out early, grabbing lunch and heading back to swim. We'd usually grab a quick snooze and head out for long night. Although, even with the sun down, the parks can be quite humid - even at night. We made the best of it and it was probobly one of our more relaxed vacations, but we'd not go back during that time of the year. We prefer late september and October. Still good swim weather.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Both will be hot, but August is usually hotter and more humidity.....and April will definitely be less humid than June.

Aurora
05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
When I was young the only time of year we could take vacation (because of my dad's job) was in August. We would go to Disney about every three years or so, and even though it was hot, hot, hot, I have such fond memories of vacations then.

I LOVED getting out in the early morning and having it be warm and humid at that time of day. And the smell of the plants and water, mmmmm. Even now, when it's really hot in the Chicago summer, I'll go out on the patio in the morning and get that feeling again.

We did a January trip about 10 years ago and we had to wear winter coats some nights! It just didn't feel like vacation. I love the heat!

Our last two trips were in early June, which were warm but not unbearable. Swimming weather without the heavy air. And both times, almost no rain for the whole week!

Snow's Mom
05-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Both are hot. I kind of liked the afternoon thundershowers in August. Pretty much came without fail, and cooled things off a bit. We went in June last year and it didn't rain all week. First couple of days were great, then it got...HOT. Doesn't matter, though, if you read the boards and are well-prepared. Worry more about the crowds. Early June or late August are best.

AmandaChan
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
We usually go in May and went last year for the 1st time in June and it wasn't as bad as I would have thought. I think the one thing that really made a huge difference was that we carried around some sort of paper fan. IMO it worked so much better than the ones you buy and it made a difference standing in lines like kilamanjaro... I constantly fanned down my 1 yo and he never got over heated. it makes such a difference when the air is just sitting on your and you can move it around. DH liked to put some water on his head and when we were on one of the trails someone said "wow your baby got really hot didnt he??" ... i was like oh no! my husband likes to put water in his hair to keep him cool, I would have never let my baby get that hot. also I would take advantage of the super AC in the stores and would push his stroller through them every chance i got (i'm sure that is their intentions, though! hah). we also made a point to lunch at CS that were inside (DH walked all the way to flame tree and brought us back BBQ while the rest of the family sat at pizzafari, haha)...

btw we ate at pizzafari too. we weren't just hogging the seats.

casey@bat
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I work in the school system and I wouldn't want to go right before we go back to school August 8th. I would be exhausted!!!! June sounds like your best choice. Although, your sister and her 2 daughters will not be going and staying in a tent on your campsite in June.

Disdaddy
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
That confirms it. We will go in June then!

casey@bat
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
You are soooooo funny!

SandmanGStefani24
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
have done june, july, and september.

all three were hot!
:thedolls:

The only good thing about the heat in June and July is we seemed to have several quick showers to cool us off here and there. September was really dry and the heat seemed about the same. Reading the other posts here, seems to be hit or miss with the showers though.

joonyer
06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Here's some actual weather stats for Orlando:
The short answer: there's not much significant difference in recorded average temps and humidity from June through August. But July and August do get slightly hotter and more humid. Your actual experience may be different from day to day.

June
Average high temperature: 90.5
Average low temperature: 71.8
Average precipitation: 7.23
Average humidity (1pm): 57
Record high (1985): 100
Record low (1984): 53

July
Average high temperature: 91.5
Average low temperature: 73.1
Average precipitation: 7.25
Average humidity (1pm): 58
Record high (1998): 100
Record low (1981): 64

August
Average high temperature: 91.5
Average low temperature: 73.4
Average precipitation: 6.78
Average humidity (1pm): 60
Record high (1980): 100
Record low (1997): 65

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
August is do-able but it changes the way you vacation. We went in August two years ago and you find yourself getting out early, grabbing lunch and heading back to swim. We'd usually grab a quick snooze and head out for long night. Although, even with the sun down, the parks can be quite humid - even at night. We made the best of it and it was probobly one of our more relaxed vacations, but we'd not go back during that time of the year. We prefer late september and October. Still good swim weather.

This is exactly our plan for our first July trip in a few weeks! We are going into it knowing it will be really hot, and just trying to make it relaxed, without a big schedule. Plan on a break each day, then return in the evening. :sun::vacation: