PDA

View Full Version : Ok "Mom's" Just asking

minnie04
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning. The radio guys were talking about "Mothers Day". A guy called in and asked if he had to give his wife a gift for Mothers day? They said OF COURSE you have to give her a gift. Do you have kids they asked? He replied yes! So it was more encouraged to get this gift.

Ok my question is. Do you "EXPECT" a gift for Mothers Day? BE HONEST (no one is judging) I personally don’t think there is anything I would want or need as a mother. We have dinner out, gifts, cards, etc. all year long. I would like to spend the day with the family. Maybe not do house work for a day, but for my DH to HAVE to run out and get jewelry to show me I’m a good mother is not my thing. These guys have brunch planned and dinner It was like they would be in trouble if they didn’t take their wife out. To me it’s more trouble getting everyone to a restaurant that you have been too many time and have to wait because thousands of people are there for this “brunch” That usually isn’t that great because its mass produced on this day. I just have everyone come over to the house and hang out. Have a nice lunch and let the kids run around. They also mention the HEAT game on Sunday now to me that’s a great thing to do with the wife. They were saying they would be killed if they mentioned watching a game on Sunday... lol REALLY!! Are there spouses out there that would be so hurt if this day wasn’t all about them??? Every day is Mothers Day to me as long as my family is happy. I’m happy and we spend time together. I GUESS I have 365 days to be a great mom I don’t need one day to point it out …
I hope I’m not raining on anyone’s Mothers Day I just don’t think husbands should feel the need to spend $100's on a gift to show me I’m a good mother and I’m appreciated... I love flowers of all kinds so to me if you have a nice arrangement on the table for the week or day I am super happy...I guess I’m just a simple kind of girl.

Oh I do love the cards the kids make. That to me is worth more than anything you can buy in a store!!!

I'm not saying My DH doesn’t buy anything on Mother’s Day. I just don't think it should or has to be anything out of this world. I love simple like I said. “Happy Mother’s Day” :cloud9: will do just fine, BUT if he wants to through a Disney trip in there to show how much they appreciate me. I'm not going to give it back...lol (I’m not crazy) :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
I do not want, nor do I expect a gift for Mother's Day. If my children choose to do something that is fine, but I certainly don't expect my husband to go to any fuss. My younger son still makes things at school for Mother's Day and honestly, those are the things that have meant the most to me.

Madame Leona
05-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I hope my husband reads this. I like the homemade gifts from the kids and the extra kisses they give me. That is it!!!! I don't like store bought greeting cards that cost $5.00 and kill a tree. I don't want presents/gifts. I just want to be with my kids!!!

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
It wouldn't bother me at all if DH didn't go out and get a gift for me for Mother's Day from him and the kids. As long as my kiddos tell me they love me, and I get hugs and kisses from them, as well as spend the day with my family then I'm all good.

We also don't go eat out for holidays. Someone in the family always has a BBQ or dinner at their house. We take turns hosting different holidays and it's so much better to let the kids run and play rather than be in a restaurant. This year my brother and his wife are hosting Mother's Day lunch. They have a swimming pool and it's already super hot here so it'll be a pool party, so much better than brunch at some overcrowded restaurant, in my opinion!

What DH and I do most of the time, as far as gifts go, is find something we both want/need and do a double Mother's/Father's day gift to each other. This year it looks like we'll go pick out a double hammock together and that's our gift to each other, and I guess from the kids. Our birthdays are also both in June so sometimes we do a big combo gift. Last year for Mother's/Father's day and our birthdays we extended our back patio and got all new patio furniture. That was a biggie. We would have gotten it anyway, so we just named it our "gift". We often do the same thing for Christmas. This year we plan to get a gas log set for our fireplace so we don't have to mess with real logs and cleaning the ashes anymore. I much rather stuff we both want and can use, than lots of stuff I don't really want or need just to say DH went out and got me something.

BrerGnat
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't expect gifts nor want them on Mother's Day.

I honestly think it's a stupid holiday. I mean, when you have kids, it's not like you have them so you can feel special ONE day a year. I honestly hate all these "appreciation" days (teacher's appreciation, secretary's day, father's day, mother's day, military spouse's appreciation day, etc.). You can appreciate people every day of the year without having to buy them presents.

I don't even want presents for my birthday anymore. As a mom who is responsible for all the household finances, I can always think of better uses for the money than flower bouquets, cheap greeting cards, and candy. I'd rather put it towards debts or savings for vacations. What I want most as a mother is quality time with my husband and kids. We get that when we vacation, so I'd rather put the money in there.

I think a lot of radio/tv shows perpetuate this stereotype of the materialistic wife and the bumbling idiot husband. I am sick of it. Not every couple is like that. I am SO not a typical "woman" in the way it's portrayed in magazines, t.v., movies, etc. and to be honest, the "typical woman" makes me wanna :ack: I don't even have friends like that...

minnie04
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
What DH and I do most of the time, as far as gifts go, is find something we both want/need and do a double Mother's/Father's day gift to each other. This year it looks like we'll go pick out a double hammock together and that's our gift to each other, and I guess from the kids. Our birthdays are also both in June so sometimes we do a big combo gift. Last year for Mother's/Father's day and our birthdays we extended our back patio and got all new patio furniture. That was a biggie. We would have gotten it anyway, so we just named it our "gift". We often do the same thing for Christmas. This year we plan to get a gas log set for our fireplace so we don't have to mess with real logs and cleaning the ashes anymore. I much rather stuff we both want and can use, than lots of stuff I don't really want or need just to say DH went out and got me something.

OMG !! you sound just like US..lol. we do that too. I would rather do things for the house or kids then my self (hubby feels the same) sometimes people say " oh no I would rather a gift for me(them)" I say nope if i want something I will buy it myself or we shop together. We do buy each other gifts with out knowing what they are( usually for Xmas and its in the kids names to us) and thats fun, but we are more into making OUR house our gift....

@Natalie AMEN!!! I really started to feel like I was the only one who didn’t care about this stuff. Don't get me wrong it's nice to be appreciated, but I don't need a day on the calendar to tell someone to show me by buying something. I knew if I put it out there to the Intercot Women they would know exactly where I was coming from...:mickey:

MizMissy
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I am not a fan of "Hallmark" holidays, such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Secretary's Day, Valentine's Day. So, no, I do not expect my DH to buy me a Mother's Day present. I really do not like to participate at all, but Mother's and Father's Day you are really forced to do so. However, my DH loves buying presents and is a very good shopper. Our standard Mother's Day presents for our mothers and he buys them for me also are hanging plants. All of us are green thumbs and love plants so it is special. Besides my kids have fun plant shopping with their daddy. I also love the gifts my children make for me at school. They are always so proud of their work. For Mother's Day, we generally go to his parents' home and invite my mother for lunch, DH grills steaks. Really just a relaxing family day.

wilcat
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I do not have any kids but if I did I agree that all I would want is to spend time with them. No gifts just hugs and being with them would be enough. Now my husbands Mother and Sisters expect big gifts for this day!! but we choose not to indulge them. A single rose and an inexpensive card is all they get from us. To all of those out there who are Mothers,
Happy Mothers Day!!!: :minnie:

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Our standard Mother's Day presents for our mothers and he buys them for me also are hanging plants.

This is what I do for my mother too! I usually get her a nice new pot for her patio and plant a pretty plant in it. I did the same thing this year, and have already given her the plant.

What my brothers and I are also doing for my mother this year is a nice picture of her grandkids. One of my SILs on my hubby's side has a very nice camera and is "studying" photography right now. She's agreed to do a family portrait of the kids in my family. We are actually doing it Saturday, only day that worked for everyone. She'll edit the photos and I'll have it printed at a local print shop. My mother has no idea we've planned this, and I'm sure she is going to love it. The last good photo she has of the grandkids was when there were only 3 of them. Now there are 7! We are all done having kids so we can do this photo without worrying about a new addition coming along.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Normally, the perfect Mother's Day gift for me is letting me sleep past 7:00 AM! This year, we'll be in Disney World, so by all means, wake me early!

But really, no gifts needed for me. My family is my gift all year long!:thumbsup:

ginger19
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I have friends who insist that their husband should not get them anything because they are not their mothers. First time I had ever heard that and I thought it was very strange.

I don't want or expect gifts but I do want a peaceful house with everyone home without my having to cook or clean. I want to hear a sincere "thank you" from my husband since I do 90% of the house/kids stuff and and " I love you" from my little ones.
I don't need gifts but I would love some appreciation and thoughtfulness.

Auntie B
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Just a nice day with my family is all the "gift" I need. Things are only things - time with the people we love is the best gift of all.

princessgirls
05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I have friends who insist that their husband should not get them anything because they are not their mothers. First time I had ever heard that and I thought it was very strange.

I don't want or expect gifts but I do want a peaceful house with everyone home without my having to cook or clean. I want to hear a sincere "thank you" from my husband since I do 90% of the house/kids stuff and and " I love you" from my little ones.
I don't need gifts but I would love some appreciation and thoughtfulness.

This is all I want too!!!! I always LOVED the homemade pre-school and elementary school gifts!! Have them out displayed proudly!!

I enjoy buying my flowers and planting them over Mother's Day. I spent some $$$, so that usually covers my gift!
Happy Mother's Day to all!
Julie:mickey:

Lizzy
05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I totally don't expect or want actuall gifts, but I do want to be able to relax and be appreciated on Mother's day.

Like, for once, do the laundry. I do it every single week. Just this once, let me sleep past 7, do the laundry, make me breakfast and dinner and let me just relax!

But I was a single mom for a couple years, and the past few years Scott and I have been together he has had to work on Mother's day. This is his first mother's day off so I am really hoping to sleep a little!

NewDVCowner
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Neither my brother, sisters or myself have kids however we still still celebrate Mother's Day with my Mom. We all go up to an iris farm in Napa and our gift to her are iris' that she can plant in her yard. It's a win/win because when it comes time to divide them we'll get the flowers, too!

Mostly it's about spending time together.

DVC2004
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah I don't care. Sometimes I get stuff, sometimes I don't just like Valentine's day. It makes no difference to me either way. I do like to go for dinner or lunch with my family but not on the actual day, too many people and long waits etc.

MNNHFLTX
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I like the idea of Mothers Day--nothing wrong with a mom feeling special for a day! However, I don't care for or need expensive presents (Natalie, I'm with you, I can always think of more important things to spend money on!) I have told my husband and son several times that the best gift they could give me for Mothers Day is to clean the house. Seriously! The idea of being able to relax in a nice, clean house (without me having to do the majority of it) is like manna from heaven to me! Strangely enough, he has only taken me up on this offer a couple of times. Seems that he prefers to get a gift as opposed to doing housework, for some reason. ;) Anyway, we usually do something special for the day and then go out for dinner--that's nice too.

My pet peeve on Mothers Day are the ads, TV shows, contests, etc. that extol people to "tell us why your mom is so special!" For those of us whose mothers have passed away, it's a bittersweet reminder that we have no longer have that special person to give a gift or card to, or take them out to eat on that day. There's definitely a void, in that respect.

DVC2004
05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
My pet peeve on Mothers Day are the ads, TV shows, contests, etc. that extol people to "tell us why your mom is so special!" For those of us whose mothers have passed away, it's a bittersweet reminder that we have no longer have that special person to give a gift or card to, or take them out to eat on that day. There's definitely a void, in that respect.

Agree! I'm fortunate to still have my mother, but I feel the same about Father's Day. I lost my dad when I was 4. I can sympathize, mother or father, it's a sad reminder. And when I was a kid it always made me feel different, left out and weird.

Kenny1113
05-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I agree I do not expect anything on mothers day! Just a thoughtful (key word) jester is enough.
Don't even get me started on Valentines day! :ack:

Disney Doll
05-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm not a fan of big gifts, but I expect something. My kids are too little to shop on their own, but they really love picking things out. I think it's kind of fun to see what things my 4 year old chooses and sometimes I get some pretty unique items.

DonLefNY
05-10-2012, 07:44 PM
All my wife asks for is an undisturbed day working in her garden.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
My favorite Mother's day gifts - Sleeping in, Homemade waffles in my PJs, Steaks on the grills, flowers planted in the gardens, swinging on my backyard swing with a glass of wine and marshmallows roasting over the fire pit, cards made by the kids, a letter from each of my twins the mother's day they were 21 thanking me for everything I had done for them

Nothing big, nothing flashy. And since my parents' murder - Mother's Day and Father's Day are bitter sweet for me.

Kairi_7378
05-10-2012, 09:46 PM
The one thing that I want this year is to not have to prepare any food for anyone all day. If it is nice, DH is going to set up my hamock.. which means that DS will be jumping in with me :cloud9:

We usually get potted plants for DH and my mom's.

mdhiggin
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
DH buys me awesome gifts when he buys, but it's not every time some holiday rolls around. I may get something once every two years from him. I usually have my eye on something I want, and I buy it saying that will be my present for birthday/mothers day/Christmas/anniversary, etc. It works for us. I'm planning my mothers day gift to myself as a splurge at Basin in DD in a couple of weeks.:D

micky95
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
my mother is 73. she has 3 children,9 grand children,6 great grand children.thru the years she has received all kinds of little trinkets and loved them all.as i've gotten older i've become more practical.now i give her a gift card so she get what she wants.i know to some this is tacky but she is on a fixed income and her house is full of trinkets.i also do this for my father.we just took them to savannah for the day and ate seafood.everyday is mother or fathers day.also for my wife we give each other disney gift cards since we have everything we need .we have convinced our family that we really dont mind a gift to disney.:thumbsup:HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

emerzmom
05-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree with those that don't like these "made up" holidays. I tell my mom how much I love and appreciate her and do special things for her because I want to not because I am expected to for some "special day". I have real big issues with "Secretary Appreciation Day" and "Bosses Day". Silly! And that stuff gets touchy around the office. People get offended or have issues if someone gets something really nice and others get little or nothing. Show appreciation regularly without being told you have to is my motto. ...just my opinion.

Katzateer
05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I figure my spring bedding flowers are a great Mothers Day gift. Used to love all the little kid gifts from nursery school and grade school that the girls made.

This year we are going out on Sunday to celebrate my oldest daughter graduating from college!

TheVBs
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't care about getting gifts, although I love anything the girls make themselves! They gave me what they made early this year. They each made me a book of poems and I love them! :cloud9: Even for birthdays or xmas, DH and I usually count a big trip or something for the house as our "gift" to each other.

j2k
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I hope my husband reads this. I like the homemade gifts from the kids and the extra kisses they give me. That is it!!!! I don't like store bought greeting cards that cost $5.00 and kill a tree. I don't want presents/gifts. I just want to be with my kids!!!

Same here ... Tomorrow, I'm spending the day with my husband and daughter and that's perfect for me!!

j2k
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
my mother is 73. she has 3 children,9 grand children,6 great grand children.thru the years she has received all kinds of little trinkets and loved them all.as i've gotten older i've become more practical.now i give her a gift card so she get what she wants.i know to some this is tacky but she is on a fixed income and her house is full of trinkets.i also do this for my father.we just took them to savannah for the day and ate seafood.everyday is mother or fathers day.also for my wife we give each other disney gift cards since we have everything we need .we have convinced our family that we really dont mind a gift to disney.:thumbsup:HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

I completely agree with practical gifts. Over the years those trinkets pile up and when the person passes on then the family is left with all those trinkets that they've given. I know some people think gift cards are tacky, but in my opinion it's practical.

And for me practical has Disney written on it. :mickey:

Disney4us2
05-13-2012, 01:08 AM
I got the best gift for Mother's Day 12 years ago. It is a gift that will keep on giving. It was the birth of my daughter:cloud9: No monitary gift, or item can ever compare to my original "gift".

Happy Mother's Day

Kairi_7378
05-13-2012, 10:59 AM

This is why last year, in our house, we declared that it would be a "Consumable Christmas." Almost every gift that we gave was edible or a gift card (chosen carefully to reflect the interests of the person it was intended for.)

Janmac
05-14-2012, 11:05 PM
This is late, because we've been busy. I have a slightly different perspective, partly because our youngest grandson became a father today, and partly because all but one of the older women in my family are gone.

Those neat little kid cards and momentos stopped happening awhile ago. And that's okay, because, as was mentioned, it's a made up holiday, mostly. And as some things stop, other things start.

Lately I've been telling my favorite mothers Happy Mother's Day - most of them much younger than I am. As you all have pointed out, there's always room for more appreciation. Recognition is always good, even if it's not a kid's sloppy kiss and messy hug,

And among my cousins, most of whom have no mother either, it's kind of a way to reconnect and remember the times when we had our mothers - warts and all - still with us. We can remember our own mothers as we wish each other Happy Mother's Day. Maybe it's meaning is a little different, now.

Btw, the only gifts I get - and they're the little trinket variety - come from my sister and my niece, altho this year DH did bring me a single rose (reminded by the person selling the rose, but a rose is a rose . . . :D)

Jan

Cinderelley
05-22-2012, 02:14 AM
I love getting a little something from my kids. I have saved them since they were young and now I have very fond memories when I look at them.