PDA

View Full Version : Android Phone Decision Help

White Rose
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey all!

Well, Verizon is finally willing replace my Blackberry Torch and I am not eligible for an upgrade until next year. I would LOVE to have an iPhone but Verizon said they couldn't give me one because of something related to Apple BUT they are willing to give me a comparable phone aka an android phone.

I'm going between the Motorola Droid Razr and the HTC Rezound. The most important thing I'm looking for is decent battery life. Does anyone have these or another Android phone (from Verizon Wireless) and could offer an opinion? I'd appreciate it!

Itchy
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM
My daughter has the Razr and loves it.

She tells me that it has more power and speed than the I-Phone which her friends have.

I had a Droid phone at one time but when I retired my finances dictated for me to down grade. I like the Droid it worked well.

As for battery life I think that the daughters phone is working alot better than the eariler verision. I had to eliminated the ability to find a WiFi setting to conserve power or it is constantly searching for a site. You will not need this as long as you have cell service. It does make a difference and can be done from the settings.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

Tygger7
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
DO NOT GET AN ANDROID!!!!

My DH has an iPhone, and I thought it would be nice to have an Android so we could get the best of both worlds. So in November 2011, I spent $300 on a Samsung Charge and it's the worst money I've ever spent. The battery life is TERRIBLE, and even when I turn it off, it still runs out the battery. The absolute longest it's stayed charged is 9 hours, and that's only if I barely use it. I've tried battery-life maximizer apps, but they only make it run slow and keep turning off the internet. It's 4G, but slower than my DH's 3G iPhone. On top of it, they load the Android phones with a bunch of "bloat-ware"...apps that I will never use, but it won't let you delete them. The only way to get rid of them is to root the phone, and that presents a whole set of other problems. I'm actually going to the Verizon store tonight to see if there's any way possible I can ditch this phone and get an iPhone.

I know there are people that like their Androids, but I've had nothing but trouble and I'm not even a heavy user. Oh, and it also crashes frequently and it's very easy to get viruses from the apps. You have to be really careful and check apps out carefully before downloading them.

At this point, I don't care what it costs...if Verizon won't "allow" me to switch to an iPhone, I'm going back to a regular, non-smart phone. At least I'll have a phone with more than 9 hours of battery life.

(Sorry to be so negative...but did I mention that I HATE this Android phone???)

Alaska Disney Fan
05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I disagree with tygger7, I have a Droid 3 and love it. I have had it over a year and it has never crashed and I can usually get about a day and a half out of it, I do use a battery saver app and also have never had it "run slow" or turn off my browser. I do also turn my WIFI off because it does use a lot of battery. I use many apps including Disney Parks mobile magic!

magicofdisney
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Like Tygger7, we're a family that had both the iPhone and Droid. My husband was the unfortunate one with the Droid. He was finally able to switch just this week and he's ecstatic. His Droid was nothing but a headache from the beginning. I just don't understand the love for those phones. :confused:

Alaska Disney Fan
05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I just don't understand the love for those phones. :confused:

I feel the same way about iphones, I'm just speaking from experience with my Droid, I haven't had a single issue.

DizneyRox
05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
To me, Android is just way too fragmented. There's so many variations, and many different versions of the OS, the market is a disaster.

I don't know many people that have luck with battery life. Frankly, I go through battery on my iPhone 4, but it's mainly a problem with ATT coverage at my work, it's constantly trying to get a signal and that kills the battery. Verizon iPhone owners at my work don't have the same issue.

I'm hardly an Apple fanboy, but I do like their devices. The iPhone and iPad are superior products if you just needs things to work. If you feel like jail breaking, the world is your oyster and some of the tweaks available are just amazing.

I'm running three iPhones in the house (one is a remote for the TV), two iPads and an Android tablet, the Android tablet is packed away in a closet somewhere. I've 'sold' 4 iPads on people in the last two or three weeks and every single one of them is extremely happy with their purchase. A couple of those were supposed to be laptops that people didn't really need.

2Epcot
05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I've been very happy with my Android phone. I have an HTC EVO with Sprint. I've had it for almost a year now, and will keep it until I upgrade in the fall, hopefully to the iPhone 5.

I'm a very heavy user. I'm online all the time. I stream videos, and audio, do a lot of podcast downloads. I guess I don't notice the battery life that much because I have 3 chargers ... at work, at home, and in my car. I always have it plugged in on my 45 min. to 1 hour commute to work.

I've been with Sprint for 12 years, so I just held out until they got the iPhone. I've wanted an iPhone since they first came out, but was so happy with my Android, that it made it easy to wait on an iPhone for a while.

I've 'sold' 4 iPads on people in the last two or three weeks and every single one of them is extremely happy with their purchase. A couple of those were supposed to be laptops that people didn't really need.

We have an iPad as well which the whole family fights for. I guess at some point we will have to get more than one.

BrerGnat
05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
First of all, you can't just claim that if one "Droid" phone is bad, they all are. Android is an Operating System, not a phone. iphone is a PHONE.

I come from a family who are "apple sheep" for lack of a better term. They are all about the Apple products and have their blinders on as far as they are concerned. I know plenty about the iphone, from the various incarnations that my family members have had throughout the years.

Android and Windows OS are both better operating systems than iOS WHEN it's on a good device. Similar to Windows and computers. Windows is the operating system, but you have good and bad computers. There is no question that the iphone is an underperformer when compared to both Android and Windows based smartphones. The issue is that Android and Windows allows any company to make a phone running their software, and there are good and bad phones out there. You have to really do your research (Cnet is great for this) and get a phone with a decent trial period for exchange if it's not what you are looking for.

A note on battery life: smartphones are not meant to last for days on end on one charge. You can reasonably expect your battery to last about a day and a half to two days with "normal" use. Once you start playing games, using apps that require network connections, etc. you will run into battery drain issues. It is very easy, however, to tweak settings to optimize battery life.

As for "bloatware", Android is SO much better in this regard than iphone. You can easily remove most software you don't want, or just never use it and at least you can delete it off your home screens (they will remain as icons in your applications screen). Apple doesn't even let you remove unused app ICONS from the screens...that's annoying.

For what it's worth, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T) running Android. It is the best phone I've ever had, hands down. I highly recommend it.

I also recommend going to Costco for your wireless needs. They have the lowest prices, guaranteed, and they offer a 90 day return/exchange policy PLUS if your phone breaks after that, they will accept a return any time, and issue you a new phone (either the same or equivalent). You won't find that anywhere else. They service AT&T, Verizon, and, I think Sprint. :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Apple doesn't even let you remove unused app ICONS from the screens...that's annoying.

Actually you can remove apps from iphone by touching the screen or through itunes with 2 exceptions. Operating system apps cannot be removed but they can be put into 1 folder marked utilities and moved to screen 2 or 3 depending on your preference. Newstand and video cannot be removed OR put into a folder but can be moved to other screens too. Mine are on screen 3 since I never go there.

Tygger7
05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
First of all, you can't just claim that if one "Droid" phone is bad, they all are. Android is an Operating System, not a phone. iphone is a PHONE.

Android and Windows OS are both better operating systems than iOS WHEN it's on a good device. Similar to Windows and computers. Windows is the operating system, but you have good and bad computers. There is no question that the iphone is an underperformer when compared to both Android and Windows based smartphones. The issue is that Android and Windows allows any company to make a phone running their software, and there are good and bad phones out there. You have to really do your research (Cnet is great for this) and get a phone with a decent trial period for exchange if it's not what you are looking for.

A note on battery life: smartphones are not meant to last for days on end on one charge. You can reasonably expect your battery to last about a day and a half to two days with "normal" use. Once you start playing games, using apps that require network connections, etc. you will run into battery drain issues. It is very easy, however, to tweak settings to optimize battery life.

As for "bloatware", Android is SO much better in this regard than iphone. You can easily remove most software you don't want, or just never use it and at least you can delete it off your home screens (they will remain as icons in your applications screen). Apple doesn't even let you remove unused app ICONS from the screens...that's annoying. :thumbsup:

I understand that Android is the operating system...specifically, mine runs Android Gingerbread 2.3. I work for a large insurance company and I've talked to a lot of people about Android phones, including extreme "techies" that know how to jailbreak, root, and do most everything imaginable on any electronic devices. If I were to do a formal survey, I would say that at least 80% of the people that have phones running Android are unhappy with performance. And as far as Windows "working" better on different computers...I would have to see that to believe it. Most of my life we've had windows based computers. We've had most every major brand and type you can imagine: Dell (laptops & desktops), Gateway (desktops), IBM (laptops & desktops), Alienware (desktops), HP (desktop), eMachine (desktop)...and Windows has never run consistenly. I've spent HOURS just trying to hook up a printer, or set up a network connection. All I know is since we switched to Apple (we have an iPhone, iMac, 2 MacBook Pro laptops, and 2 iPads) I have spent zero time trying to make things work...they just work consistently and don't crash.

As for battery life, I don't think it's asking too much for a phone to last 10-12 hours. DH's iPhone easily lasts 14-18 hours and he's a HEAVY user. My Samsung have never lasted more than 10 hours, and now I'm lucky to get 8 hours. Now if I was always playing games, browsing the internet, texting, calling, etc., then I would be a little more forgiving. But I barely use it...5-10 texts, one or two phone calls...that's it. Also, the battery should not be draining when you turn the phone off...my phone will fully drain over 8 hours when it's not even on. I did try battery optimization apps, but they killed the performance. It would turn off internet, and then when I tried to use it, I'd spend 15 minutes trying to make it work again. It was so frustrating that I removed all the optimization apps...they weren't worth the headaches they caused.

I've also asked a lot of questions on getting rid of the bloatware. The only was I've been told that you can get rid of unwanted apps is to root the phone. I asked about setting up folders (both here at work, and at the Verizon store) and was told I could move the unwanted apps to another screen, but couldn't put them in a folder or organize them in the Apps folder.

It sounded to me that the OP would prefer an iPhone, but can't get one due to restrictions with Verizon. So they were asking about battery life...from the people I've talked to, running Android on several different phones, their biggest complaint has been poor battery life...as in, can't make it through an 8 hour work day without dying.

To the OP: Ultimately, my advice would be to wait for the iPhone, especially if that's your first choice. If you can't wait, definitely do research and ask around. I just know that I totally regret not getting the iPhone and feel like I threw $300 down the drain on this phone. Verizon is actually sending me a replacement today, so we'll see if it performs any better. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath...

PopPhan
05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
As an AT&T subscriber, I can honestly say that my Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket 4G is the best phone that I have had in 15 years.

Battery life is around 2 days for me. I do not do a lot of web surfing with the phone, but I do a lot of messaging and have reminders and alarms set for daily use, which does put a drain on the power.

Talk time has been well over 3 hours (I get on long, protracted calls with a friend in FL, so I know this for a fact!!! LOL)

My niece has an HTC Inspire 4G that she loves as well, touting its battery life and features. The one thing I like about hers that mine doesn't have is the little flashing light by the earpiece that lets you know when you have a message. Instead of turning on the display screen to check if you have messages, you just look for the flashing green light.

In any event, please do yourself a favor and install an anti-virus program (I use Lookout [free on the Play Store]) and a program that lets you check the phone information/manage apps/etc. (I use Elixr2 [free on Play Store]) This app allows me to move installed apps to my SD card, rather than take up phone memory. That also makes the apps portable -- If I change phones, I have those apps ready to go immediately.

Good luck and have fun with your new Android!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
We also love our Samsung Galaxy phones. DH, DS and I each have one (DH and I have had ours for well over a year). :thumbsup:

dnickels
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
This may be a bit off-track from your plan, but have you considered waiting until your contract expires and then just buying the phone you want and getting a plan separately? I know most people get new phones when they can get an upgrade or get a new phone with a new contract. While that saves money in the short term on the phone, it costs more in the long term in the form of a more expensive contract that you're generally locked into for the next 2 years.

I've been out of my contract for years, I can buy any phone I want, select just about any plan I want, switch carriers today if I want, and it saves $$ to boot. Might be something worth looking into.

BrerGnat
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
As an AT&T subscriber, I can honestly say that my Samsung Galaxy SII SkyRocket 4G is the best phone that I have had in 15 years.

Battery life is around 2 days for me. I do not do a lot of web surfing with the phone, but I do a lot of messaging and have reminders and alarms set for daily use, which does put a drain on the power.

Talk time has been well over 3 hours (I get on long, protracted calls with a friend in FL, so I know this for a fact!!! LOL)

My niece has an HTC Inspire 4G that she loves as well, touting its battery life and features. The one thing I like about hers that mine doesn't have is the little flashing light by the earpiece that lets you know when you have a message. Instead of turning on the display screen to check if you have messages, you just look for the flashing green light.

In any event, please do yourself a favor and install an anti-virus program (I use Lookout [free on the Play Store]) and a program that lets you check the phone information/manage apps/etc. (I use Elixr2 [free on Play Store]) This app allows me to move installed apps to my SD card, rather than take up phone memory. That also makes the apps portable -- If I change phones, I have those apps ready to go immediately.

Good luck and have fun with your new Android!!!!

Agree with all of this. I didn't choose the Skyrocket since I don't live in an LTE area, so didn't see the point. However, the Galaxy S line of phones is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned.

My phone lasts about a day and a half and I think that is good battery life. Any less than that and you either got a bad phone or a bad battery. This is why a good exchange/return policy is necessary. It happens. Actually, the first Galaxy S2 I got was buggy from the beginning. I returned it to Costco two days later, swapped it out for another one, and have been smooth sailing for a few months now. No complaints.

It is very easy to put apps on the removable memory, but even then, I find the phone has more than enough storage available.

I have to charge my phone about once every other day. I consider myself a moderately heavy user. I spend a lot of time "playing" on my phone. I've never had it last less than about 12 hours.

To put this out there as well, iphone battery life is pretty awful too. AND, you can't change the battery yourself when it's dead. You have to pay a "Genius" to do it for you. That's a bunch of baloney, as far as I'm concerned. I'm currently peeved at Apple because my 2 year old ipod touch 3rd generation is essentially a brick right now...it won't stay charged for more than 15 min. It needs a new battery, but in order to get that, I have to go to an Apple store, send it in, and pay for the battery and installation service and be without the ipod for a couple weeks. I am not going to support that. I'm done with the ipod touch. My Android phone does everything the ipod does, and it does it better. My ipod is now my kids, and when they use it, they have to leave it plugged into the charger. That's very disappointing for a device that was over $300 and is only 2 years old...

magicofdisney
05-12-2012, 10:16 AM

I couldn't care less about the semantics of this statement. The point is, he hated his phone because of the OS. That alone was enough to make him switch. There's no perfect phone or OS. Everything is about preference.

Disney Doll
05-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Thank you! Thank you! You cannot compare iphone to android because it's apples to oranges. There are a tons of phones that use android and they are not all created equal. You have to compare phone to phone. I have a Galaxy S II and it's fabulous. I love that phone and I'll will certainly be getting a Galazy S III for my next phone. We have three android phones in our house and we have been happy with them all. In addition to the Galaxy S II we have a Galaxy Nexus and a Note. Samsung makes fantastic phones so that's what I would recommend.

DH is a huge phone nerd so I asked his opinion on the Rezound and the Razr. He said they are really comparable phones which is probably why Verizon has offered them as your two choices. He said if he had to pick one he'd give a slight edge to the Razr.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
When we switched carriers last month (bigger work discount with new company) - I went with an iphone because I was already extremely familiar with the interface as I own an ipod touch. I had even upgraded my system on my touch to include the messaging system (via wifi).

I was also looking at the new windows phone, but everyone I know that has 'upgraded' to that one in our area has had to turn it back in because it gets no reception - you have to stand on your back deck on one leg with your tongue hanging out to the left upsidedown. And some of the Adroid based brands also have that issue where as iphone does not.

So research your local area, ask people with your carrier that you know that have smart phones which brand they have had success with. With our former carrier - LG phones sucked with getting reception but Samsung, iPhone, and Razrs were great.

JPL
05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I have beed an Android user since the first day it was released. I had an original Motorola Droid and I am currently using the Droid X2. I have had very little problems with either phone and no problem at all with the OS. Both models are just as easy to use as an iPhone which I have played around with in the past and have comprable battery life. The difference is really in the model you select. Unlike the iPhone take it or leave it model. There are many different options when it comes to Android based phones. I have never had a virus on my phone or any crashing problems. Of course you need to make sure you update your apps and OS when prompted. I agree with the poster that said Android runs better on some models than others just like Windows on a computer. One of the features that I think is far superior about Android is not being stuck with iTunes & the iTunes Store. Another big advantage to Android based phones is the removable memory cards. I know lots of iPhone users that lost all their daa when they had a problem with their phones.

SurferStitch
05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
One of the features that I think is far superior about Android is not being stuck with iTunes & the iTunes Store. Another big advantage to Android based phones is the removable memory cards. I know lots of iPhone users that lost all their daa when they had a problem with their phones.

I have been using Spotify the past few months. It's cheap, and you get a ton of music at your fingertips. No iTunes needed. Also, there's no need to lose any date from my iPhone, especially with the Cloud. Before the Cloud, I just synced my iPhone regulary. If the phone died, no biggie.... the backup was on my Mac. Get a new iPhone, hit Sync, whammo.... back in action.

As to the OP.... I would hold out and get the iPhone when your plan allows. It's truly an incredible little piece of technology. I've had an iPhone since the first gen, and will never switch. Great battery life, beautiful display, great OS, easy updates, and lots of bang for the buck.

TheVBs
05-17-2012, 08:23 AM
This thread has stressed me out! :D I've been thinking of upgrading my phone and didn't know whether to get an android or iPhone. I still don't! I may just have to stick with my old fashioned flip phone to avoid having to make the decision. :)

Disney Doll
05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
This thread has stressed me out! :D I've been thinking of upgrading my phone and didn't know whether to get an android or iPhone. I still don't! I may just have to stick with my old fashioned flip phone to avoid having to make the decision. :)

There are serious fanboys on both sides of the andriod/iphone fence, but anyone who is going to automatically claim that one is better than another isn't giving you good advice. Like anything it all comes down to the features that are most important to you. What do you want to be able to do with the phone and how will you use it most often? Go somewhere that sells multiple carriers so that you have a wide range of choices and talk about your options. A good salesperson will take the time to educate you and find out how you will be using your phone. Having the internet at your fingertips sure is nice!

LandFan
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I refuse to pay a lot for a cell phone so we always get a refurb from Verizon when we upgrade and they are like $50! I have gotten my Motorola Droid X, an HTC Thunderbolt and a Motorola Bionic that way. We have found that the Motorola products are much better with the Android operating system than the HTC. They work really well! I still haven't given up my X yet because I like it soooo much!

I keep thinking about switching to an iPhone because I am an apple fangirl but I still can't justify the $$ when I am perfectly happy with these phones. I will take the extra $$ that I would have spent on them and put it towards the iPad I want in the fall. I kind of feel like that would be a much better use of the extra $150 to $250 that an iPhone would cost me!!

TheVBs
05-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I have to say, no one has outright trashed one or the other to me, just praised what they do like. One person told me his android phone gets a lot of free apps that his wife has to pay for on her iPhone.

Honestly, I use my cell phone for phone calls. And it's rare that I use it and rare that I get a call on it. I think only my husband, mom, sister and the schools have the number! It can receive and send texts, but that's even rarer. I think I've received a grand total of 4 texts and maybe returned two.

If I got a new phone I'm sure I would text more, but I don't have any need for internet access or games. Would I use them if I had them? Maybe. Could I justify spending money to be able to have them? Probably not.