PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the Monorail Sandwich???

rmsongs
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Back in the mid-70's, on a trip to WDW, we ate at the restaurant that was located in the Contemporary's Grand Canyon Concourse (I seem to remember sitting right at the base of a huge mural with the monorails passing by above us). I ordered something called a Monorail Sandwich that I think may have been ham, turkey, and cheese on a dark bread, maybe Pumpernickel. Does anyone know exactly what went into the sandwich? I enjoy preparing Disney meals at home (especially 50's PTC meatloaf!!!!) and I'd like to recreate this sandwich. Any help would be appreciated.:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't remember the Monorail Sandwhich but remember alot of food and drinks being different and more creative in the 1970's and 1980's. I think that is one thing Disney has done a poor job of and that is making WDW food too much like the food we get in everyday life now. I remember the big plastic cups shaped like fruit you could get in the parks, the paper straws, the polynesian burgers at the Adventureland Veranda etc. Thought it ruined some of the magic when McDonald's was allowed into the parks....just my opinion though.:thumbsup:

disneynarula
05-18-2012, 07:38 AM
I agree that there used to be more unique choices. One of my favorites was the pizza eggrolls in Adventureland.

i'm grumpy
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Burgers and chicken nuggets with fries gets really old.

rmsongs
05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Wow, I haven't thought about it in years, but I remember a trip in the 70's when I used to get orange juice every morning when we were staying at the Polynesian. It came in a plastic orange with a green cap shaped kind of like leaves. I guess it wasn't all that creative, but it was cool. :mickey:

I agree, the usual burgers, nuggets, and fries routine seems pretty uninspired.