View Full Version : DVC Newb Questions...

05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Ok, I've been researching possibly purchasing DVC resale. I would like to purchase a DVC resale for a resort beyond the 2042 contract expiration. So, my preferences would be AKV and SSR, because it appears to be the best "bang for your buck". However, I know Vero Beach and Hilton Head are much more cheaply priced (of course they end on 2042 and have higher dues).

My questions are:

*** For those who've purchased VB and HH resales just because you can get more points for your money and attempt to book DW resorts each time, what has been your experiences?

*** Were you able to get a reservation on DW each time?

*** Do you see any reasons in the future to where you won't be able to book on DW, that is, Disney no longer allows VB and HH DVC owners making reservations elsewhere?

My family and I enjoy DW more so than the resorts themselves and therefore, would not want to be "stuck" at VB or HH.

Thanks in advance!

05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I also forgot to mention that we would like to stay a minimum of 7 nights each visit; up to two weeks.

I would not mind having to do split stays either, as this would probably help in getting two week reservations at the 7-month mark?


05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I haven't done the math, but people have said the you really need to look at maintenance costs for those two resorts (HHI and VB). They are higher than the Disney resorts I believe.

I don't think they can eliminate the possibility of booking at DVC resorts, but I've always said, buy where you want to stay. Being able to book at 11 months is nice, but not everyone can do that I understand. On the odd occasion that I don't book then, it's still been before the rest of the worth can book.

05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks DizneyRox.

I'm leaning toward SSR if anything, but wanted to get opinions on if anyone else is doing this, especially if the right deal comes along.

Another question:

Are there separate rooms available for DVC owners and others for cash paying non-DVC members? The reason I ask is because I just looked at the mid-summer months for 2012 and there was availability at all of the DVC resorts for 12-night stays. This is only 2-3 months out and these DVC resorts are showing availability, so getting reservations at 7-months out doesn't seem too difficult.

I've crunched the numbers concerning the maintenance fees and given the last three years of data concerning increases, the Hilton will actually have lower maintenance fees than four other DVC resorts by the year 2042, about the same as AKV, VWL, and BLT in 2032, and only the third most expensive in 10 years (given the past three year history).

I would much rather buy on WDW, but it seems like a bad financial option when there are much lower price per points for VB and HH out there.

05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Florida law requires a certain percentage of rooms at time shares be set aside for the general public. DVC also has the right to manage (on behalf of the owners to keep costs down) the inventory and offer rooms that aren't being reserved by owners out for cash reservations, etc.

Cash availability really shouldn't be factored into the equation. As a member, it's possible I could call and ask for those same 12 nights and be told there is no availability.

Just a few years ago, many members were here complaining about having to wait list for rooms, and those wait lists not coming through. As I said, and will continue to maintain, buy where you want to stay. Home resort ownership doesn't even guarantee a room. I own at AKLV and if I wiat too long to book, there's a possibility of me being shut out at AKLV. The booking windows are there for a reason and really do come into play, maybe not all the time, maybe not even many of the times you want to go. If your dates are flexible, then it might work out. I'd rather not take that chance.

Now, a $20 difference in points on a contract seems like a big difference, but if theres a dollar difference in dues, that becomes a wash in 20 years and ends up costing more after that. Add the 7 month limitation, and for me it becomes problem. Theres a reason those VB and HHI contracts can be picked up for a song and Disney doesn't seem to be pulling ROFR on them even at those prices.

I'm not sure I'd trust the last three years of data. Someone goofed (or intentionally fudged numbers) on the Aulani dues. I wouldn't be surprised if the same shady math wasn't responsible for the AKLV and BLT massive increases this past year or two. Disney won't admit it, since they would need to eat the difference like they are with the Aulani sales. It cost a few people their job and I can't believe I'm not hearing more about some investigation into what really happened and if its a bigger problem for other resorts too. That's my opinion on the matter though...

05-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks DizneyRox. I appreciate your thorough help. I'm fairly convinced that if I'm fortunate to put in an offer, it will be at a WDW resort.

05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
We were in the same dilemma and finally put our offer in at SSR. Waiting on rofr now but glad I bought at a place on property

05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking; either on property or not at all.

Good luck on your ROFR!