PDA

View Full Version : How do I talk my husband into me going to the meet?

disney obsessed
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Any ideas? he has been to Disney many times to make me happy, but he is over it.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but he thinks it's creepy. I go by myself and with a friend, but he is not ok with me going to meet a bunch of people from the Internet.

AvaNellMouse
05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
You have been a fellow Intercotee for 13 years, it's not like we are strangers or something.
Maybe John could write you a note:
"Dear Husband..."
:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
And its not like we're meeting a dark alley or something. We could all write letters of introductions for him, so we're not "strangers" anymore :)

But, when you think about it, it is a little strange, but everytime I have met a fellow intercotee, I've had a blast, and can't wait to meet everyone!

We do "know" each other, at least I feel I know so many people and meeting them in person will be great!

John
05-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I dunno - I say don't sweat it. Let him do something else while you attend some of the events or come on your own ;)

It's not that uncommon really - in fact, my wife doesn't want to have anything to do with meets or group events. It's just not her thing.

I believe her favorite quote to me is - "You go and have your fun..." She'd rather relax.

Ian
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
It's not that uncommon really - in fact, my wife doesn't want to have anything to do with meets or group events. It's just not her thing.My wife says the exact same thing! :mickey:

Lizzy
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I have an idea. I will tell my SO that you are my best friend from way back (doesn't have to know from way back on INTERCOT) and you can tell your DH the same, then we can go to the meet!

Buttercup
05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm lucky that I have a sister who is as big a Disney geek as me... so my husband is off the hook for coming to ICOT-15! lol
Do you have any friends that would want to tag along, if you are feeling weird about meeting a bunch of people you've only spoken to online? Make it a girls weekend!

Patricia
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
It looks like I'll be at the 15th alone too.

Icot meet solo story: Another soloist (I won't mention any names) and I were both traveling alone and roomed together during Icot's 5th anniversary. During one of our outings with other solo Intercotees, she made it to the hot seat in Millionaire. When the host asked who she was with, her reply was "Some friends I met on the internet."

The audience roared with laughter. :funny:

Anyhoo.. There were several of us traveling solo that trip and I'm sure there will be this time too. You will always be in public spaces.. Tell hubby, no need to worry. Some of the best people in my life were met right here on Icot and I can't wait to see them!

Jared
05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Just seconding what Patricia said. There's really nothing to fear. All the meets are in gigantic public spaces with literally thousands of people around. I may end up going to the event "solo" this time -- but with all my wonderful Intercot friends around, I'll never be alone.

Scar
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Wait a second... are you telling us that your husband wouldn't love to have a weekend at home all to himself to do any thing he wants? Something's wrong with that. ;)

harlowandthemermaid
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I say just go, you will have an awesome time! I have to figure out how to justify it to mine financially ;)

BrerGnat
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Move over, you're taking up space in my boat. ;)

I really, really want to go. DH isn't so much concerned with me going solo, as I've done that before, but we are probably going on a HUGE California trip two weeks after ICOT 15, which will include Disneyland. Trying to justify this trip, both financially, as well as just on principle is going to be hard. In addition, I will need him to take that Friday off work since we have young kids in school, and THAT might also be hard for him to get approved (see: taking 10 days of leave in November)

I haven't even broached the subject with him yet. It's a delicate flow, as John says. I have to be slick in my approach...:secret:

Buttercup
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
It would be no different than you going to the parks by yourself... or a shopping mall... or a restaurant by yourself, and striking up a conversation with someone while you're there. You meet people who are complete strangers every day of your life. It doesn't mean you're inviting them back to your room, or to shady places all alone! All of these meet-ups are totally in public places!:thumbsup:

Mousefever
05-09-2012, 05:05 AM
I have a happy success story from Icot's 10 year anniversary party. I knew I would be traveling on a budget, especially since we always take a big trip to the east coast every summer. Sharing a room at Pop with a fellow attendee made financial sense! TikiGoddess and I made plans to room together that October. During my east coast tour that summer I was able to meet her and her family, so we didn't feel like total strangers come October.

Kathy and I had no problem hitting it off! She was fun and kind to my 9 year old son, who came with me. Although we went our separate ways a lot of the time, we really enjoyed the times we were together! I remember that we would talk into the night back at our room and it felt like we were at camp!

Kathy and I have remained friends and I visit with her whenever I make the trek back east. We are again sharing a room this October!

So you can tell your hubby to rest easy...We're pretty nice folks!

Amy

disney obsessed
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
This is good.

Keep it coming!

disney obsessed
08-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Has anyone had any luck yet? I think i can get him to agree its safe, now its an issue of affording it.

Imalismom
08-19-2012, 11:44 AM
If you were to look up WDW "tolerater " in the dictionary, you would see a picture of my dear husband. He absolutely abhors anything Disney.

So, my dear husband tells me to go and have fun. I am even staying with another person I met at ICOT 5 for this meet. In fact, I met this person at ICOT 5 and we have been friends ever since (Hi Figgie :thedolls:)

I'm not sure what you should say to your husband. I would suggest asking him to sit down and look at Intercot, and read the posts. If he can feel more comfortable, then perhaps he might be willing to say, "Go, and have fun".

Perhaps you two can sit down and discuss exactly what it is he fears. If you know what the true fears are, you are in a better position to talk through them.

If the answer is still no, you can be with us via Twitter and this actual site. I was not able to make ICOT 10, and felt that I was almost there (not quite, but almost :cloud9:)

Here is hoping that he might change his mind!

hoop de do
08-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I respect your husband's concern and understand where he's coming from, with all that we hear nowadays about internet meetings etc. That being said I don't think he has to worry much. I was at the 10th. (with my DW) and we had a great time. If you would have the occasion to need help when there anyone of us "Old-Timers" would be there for you. Come and have a great time but I would call him often with updates etc. I'm really lucky, my wife doesn't allow me to go to the WORLD without her because she is as much of a WDW freak as I am. Hope to see you there.
Make sure you sign up for the breakfast meet at Epcot. Let us know how we did in the convincing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JMTStone
08-29-2012, 01:41 PM
This will be my first "large meet" too. My family is Disney crazy but they're not on the INTERCOT as I am.

I was told by Denise at MJ (my favorite INTERCOT sponsor, and I think I've tried them all!) about the Anniversary and at first I was thinking "with so little time, how can I fit in so many activities with strangers".

But its not like that. You can pick and choose what you want to do.

Mousefever and TikkiGoddess' story is good. I know I met a family on a cruise who came to our Vow Renewal ceremony on the Magic who is STILL a friend of ours to this day. Our girls were the same age and they hit it off and then WE hit it off.

Guess where we FIRST met and decided to introduce the girls? (Hi Bill)

figgie
08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Imalismom! Yes, we met and have been friends even since, even taking a couple of Disney cruises together. Best trip I ever took and made a forever friend. I agree that, as an adult, you meet and make friends with people all the time. Nothing is more public than WDW for meeting and getting to know people.

There are always dangers in the world that we all face, but as long as you take the safety precautions you take every day, I think a trip to the Intercot meet should be a positive experience for you. Come and meet us! Do the things you feel comfortable doing. Enjoy Disney! Be smart, be safe and have fun!

Dsnygirl
08-31-2012, 12:20 AM
I can address your husband's fears about the "creepiness" aspect... my husband was VERY unsure about all the people I was meeting on here when I first joined, and when I asked him to accompany me to I'cot's 10th anniv party, he said okay... but was really skeptical about who we would meet and what it would be like. He is a very "black and white" kind of guy, not into internet chatting or FB or much of anything like that.

Well, let me tell you... that changed the moment we arrived and went to our first meet at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly. He really enjoyed everyone we met, had a GREAT time and thought it was one of the best groups of folks he's met!! He even joined I'cot when we got home, although he's never on here anymore... :rolleyes: He still asks how people are and enjoys my stories, and has encouraged me to attend this year, totally on my own!! (He'd love to come, but we have no one to stay with our girls... :( )

So -- keep on working on him, and I hope to hear that you'll be joining us!! :fingers: