PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me choose

minnie04
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
:photo:I need to buy a new camera. I want something small and of course Digital. Please give me some recommendations on what you think are the best out there. I saw a video on YouTube and the lady had the best camera I have seen. It took pic's as well as video. I tried to ask which one it was, but she never replied (old video). She was able to zoom really far and at night with now shaking and the picture stayed perfect. I want something I don’t have to change too many settings, something simple. I have the Nikon cool pix S6100 and I’m not crazy about the pictures at all. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but they don’t come out very nice. I don’t want to break the bank either.

Thanks for the help :mickey:

Itchy
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
:photo:I need to buy a new camera. I want something small and of course Digital. Please give me some recommendations on what you think are the best out there. I saw a video on YouTube and the lady had the best camera I have seen. It took pic's as well as video. I tried to ask which one it was, but she never replied (old video). She was able to zoom really far and at night with now shaking and the picture stayed perfect. I want something I don’t have to change too many settings, something simple. I have the Nikon cool pix S6100 and I’m not crazy about the pictures at all. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but they don’t come out very nice. I don’t want to break the bank either.

Thanks for the help :mickey:

I dont know if you are looking for a simple point and shoot camera or an SLR type camera.

Alot of the newer digital cameras do have a mode to take video in addition to regular photos. You will need a fairly large memory card to store the video on as it takes quite a bit of space.

I would go to a store where they have cameras on display where you can touch and feel each camera. I like Fugi cameras but that is just me.

I used a Canon Rebel digital SLR type for crime scene photography and it did a decent job. It is a bigger camera though.

I would look at a camera in at least the $100 + figure to make sure you get something decent.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

minnie04
05-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks Itchy, I have a big camera too. I have the Nikon D80, love this camera. I wanted to start taking the smaller ones to the parks. Now, that the kids are older. I just want a point and shot camera. The ladies camera I saw on You Tube was really nice she took a video from Fantasmic. Were Mickey was standing on the rocks looked like he was right in front of you. And when she zoomed out she was really far away. Very impressive... I wish she would get back to me on which one it was...:mickey:

brownie
05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Sending this one to the Water Cooler.

VWL Mom
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
After 6 months of researching, I recently purchased the Nikon S6300 and so far am very happy with the pictures. I got a good price on a bundle at Amazon ($177).

There are some marked improvements over the S6100 such as HD video, faster speed, more zoom, and CMOS vs CCD lens which gives higher quality picture.

I have a Nikon D60 which I love , but like you just wanted a P&S for other days but didn't want to sacrifice photo quality.

minnie04
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks, im going to look into that one now. :mickey:

NewDVCowner
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I got a descent point and shoot camera - a Panasonic DMC-FH25k that has 16 MP and runs for about $140 on Amazon. It's pretty small and easy to carry. The thing I like least about it is that it takes special batteries rather than just AA. I got some great pictures with it when I was in Tanzania in December, though looking back for that paticular trip I wish I had a super charged camera. Those were out of my price range, though.

Do some research on those Panasonic cameras, they come with different levels of zoom. You'll probably want something that has image stabilization because blur is an issue when you're zooming in close.

laprana
05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a Sony Cybershot point-and-shoot digital camera and I've had great results with it, especially fireworks pics! My mom has a Canon Powershot point-and-shoot and she gets GREAT pics with it. Very clear and it has a pretty powerful zoom on it. I'm not sure of the models of either (sorry :blush:) but you might add those to your list to research! :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Another one I had looked at and was seriously considering was the Canon ELPH 300HS. Just mentioning because I see BestBuy has it for $129 this week on sale ($100 off).

DizneyRox
05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Another one I had looked at and was seriously considering was the Canon ELPH 300HS. Just mentioning because I see BestBuy has it for $129 this week on sale ($100 off).
The Elph 300 is a sweet camera, although it's old news now, which is why it's cheap. Can't suggest getting anything at Worst Buy though. I picked mine up from tigerdirect.com and love it.

It's speedy, it takes great pictures, and battery life in incredible from what I've experienced. I'd highly recommend the 300 to anyone, provided you do t buy it at Worst Buy. If you do, good luck...

j2k
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
The Kodak and Nikon cameras are decent small cameras for a decent price.

BrerGnat
05-12-2012, 02:25 PM
We've always had great luck with Canons. We currently have a Canon Powershot Elph 100HS and a Canon D10 waterproof camera. Both take great pictures and video (the 100HS takes HD video).

We paid well under $200 for our ELPH 100HS at Best Buy and got a free set of accessories during a 4th of July promotion last year (extra battery, neoprene zip case, and screen protectors, a $50 dollar value FREE). Nothing bad about that.

I recommend not paying more than $200 for a compact point and shoot digital. You'll be kicking yourself a year later if you do.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
My cousin, who owns a camera store recommended either Canon or Olympus cameras. I got a Canon S100 and love it. The have an upgrade from mine (since it's a few years old now) and the zoom, stabilizer, night shots etc are fantastic. And what I like about mine is you actually have to flip the flash up. This comes in VERY handy in WDW for those rides where they say "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY". This way it doesn't accidently flash on me.