PDA

View Full Version : MVMCP pricing - WOW!!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
We have a room reservation that we booked through MJ, starting the day after Thanksgiving. So our agent Kathy, as always efficient, sends me an email yesterday announcing the dates and pricing for MVMCP.

All I can say is, holy Mickey Mouse, what in the (Walt Disney) World are they thinking? $60-75 for adults and $55-70 for kids (depending on dates) seems absurd.

Granted my wife and I haven't done it since 2008 or so and even then I thought it was too high at $45+, but this, its a no brainer, we won't be doing it. Our oldest will have just turned 10, so technically an adult, which means for our family of 5 we'd be shelling out basically $300 for this thing.

I've done it twice now and as much as I love Disney, putting this thing into perspective, I can't for the life of me think of what part of MVMCP makes it worth $300. I'd rather take the family to a nice dinner and spend an hour or two appreciating Osborne Family Lights and still come out financially ahead.

Sorry for the early morning rant, but my feelings towards this pricing can pretty much be summed up as :ack:

I'd love to take the kids, but $300 for hot chocolate, a few plain cookies, and a parade and maybe a show, just don't seem to warrant it. At least in the past you got a button (I'm staring at my 1999 button on my office bulletin board now) and even a free 5x7 photo as I recall. Now I don't think you get anything special, do you?

r4kids
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
WOW!!!!! Holy smokes! We planned to do this late Nov early Dec but I really don't know now, $335 is ALOT for my group of 5....... I just don't know if I can justify it?? :confused:

tjstrike
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I feel the same way, that price is outrageous !!

:mad:

floridamom
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree that the price is high, but I haven't paid close attention to how much it has increased each year. I always assumed that most of the folks who went were going in place of using a day's park admission and could justify it that way. But as AP holders, we just can't see spending that much when our basic park access has already been paid for.

But then again, I have also read more complaints recently about how the parties are very crowded with longer lines than in the past. Perhaps the higher prices will result in lower attendance numbers and thus smaller crowds ...

minnie04
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I was just going to ask the question "should we go" and I think I just got the answer :( I just love the feel of Xmas at the park, but I can do without the price of the tickets. I think if they added something you can’t see during the regular day price ticket then why so much more on the price??? I have a hotel booked and wanted to go, but I might have to rethink it. We have a big trip at the end of the year to Tenn. and I just wanted to do the Xmas party as a quick weekend trip, but I can’t see paying with everything about $2,000 OR MORE for a weekend when it’s all said and done..What a bummer :ack:

just looked it up for us with 6 people it's $ 409.75, Just to walk in the park :(

OH and whats with the same day ticket sales??? Certain tickets only go on sale the day of that event. Why are they doing that. I WONDER !

homeschool mom
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
At 7 adults in our family (our youngest child of 5is only 11) it would be a $420 price tag for us. It's not going to happen. :(

Polynesian Dweller
05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced ticket prices are $59 + taxes adult, $51 + taxes kids. It's only day of tickets that hit $75. Tickets seem high and Disney will find out if it's excessive if people don't buy them.

It's like everything, gotta figure out if it's worth it to you to go. If it isn't to me then I don't go. They may get the sales for those days nearer Christmas which are only day of sales because for locals it's still a 17% savings over a one day ticket. Time will tell if Disney has blown it or not.

MILWDIANA
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
We are going to MNSSHP at the end of October. It will be $236 for our family of 4 to go. It has been 4 years since we have gone and we always have a blast when we go with our friends but that is expensive candy!!

MickeysBestPal
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
2012 Prices

(2012 Prices INCLUDE tax)
Advance Sales - September (except 30) $59.59 Adult / $54.26 Ages 3-9
Advance Sales - September 30, October and November - $62.78/$57.46
Day of Event Sales - September (except 30) $67.04/$61.72
Day of Event Sales - September 30, October, November - $69.17/$63.85
Premium Night - October 31 - $74.50/$69.17

2011 Prices

(2011 prices listed INCLUDE tax)
Prices for the party are as follows :

Advance Purchase for October 2, 6, 10, 11, 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 27 and November 1: $60.66 adults / $55.33 ages 3-9 (No Discount Available for October 28 and 31) 

Passholder and DVC Member Discounts for September dates: $53.20 / $46.81
Passholder and DVC Member Discounts for October 2, 6, 10, 11, 16, 18, 20, 23, and 25: $56.40 / $51.07
Day of Event (if still available) for September dates: $63.85 /$57.46
Day of Event (if still available) for October 2, 3, 6, 10, 11, 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 27 and November 1: $67.05 / $61.72
Day of Event (if still available) for October 28 and 31: $72.37 / $67.05

2010 Prices

(2010 prices listed INCLUDE tax)
Advance Purchase: $57.46 for adults 10 and older / $51.07 for ages 3-9*

Passholder and DVC Member Discounts: $53.20 / $46.81*
Day of Event (if still available): $63.85 /$57.46 

*Not available October 29 and 31. Those two dates are priced at a premium: $69.17 (ages 10 and up) and $62.78 (ages 3-9), tax included.

Princess'Mom
05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
All I can say is OUCH!

DVC2004
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
It's a shame the prices are so high for these special parties/events. You don't get a full day in the park for one. We have gone 2 times to MNSSHP and one time to MVMCP but we won't go anymore. The price for what you get is high. Also, seems to be more crowded than in the past. Regarding MNSSHP, my kids are past trick or treating age they want to go to Universal for HHN (they are teens). Price for that can be very high too and even more with the HHN Express pass which you pretty much have to buy since the crowds are horrendous.

When it's getting to a the cost of a 1 day park ticket (like it seems to be) then they really just make it standard with your regular admission and stop with "ticket event" status. I guess they would lose money though.

Gator
05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I always assumed that most of the folks who went were going in place of using a day's park admission and could justify it that way.

If I'm buying 8 day tickets, it doesn't make sense to spend $300 more for what the OP mentioned: a parade, fireworks, and a live show - all of which you can get when it's NOT MVMCP night. I've been wanting to take my family back during Christmas, but that means hitting the MK on very crowded non-Party days, or spending a junkload of money to stay up really late. Our decision was to just not go during that time, which is a bummer.

Scrappy2
05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
We did MNSSHP last October for the first time and had a great time and glad I did it once. We had SP that year so we did not have to pay for park tickets that trip so we opted for the party. I'm not real sure I would pay again for either party. This year we are going to do Islands of Adventure one day instead of paying to enter the MK.

MickeysBestPal
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
MVMCP 2012 Prices, INCLUDING tax

Advance Sales $62.78 Adult / $57.46 Ages 3-9
Day of Event Sales $69.17/$63.85

** Premium Night Dec 21 $72.37/$67.04

MVMCP 2011 Prices, INCLUDING tax

Advance Purchase for November 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 29, and 30; December 4, 6, 7, 11, 13, 14: $60.66 for adults 10 and older / $55.33 for ages 3-9 

Passholder and DVC Member Discounts for November 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 29, 30; December 4, 6: $56.40 / $51.07
Day of Event: $67.05 /$61.72

MVMCP 2010 Prices INCLUDING Tax

Advance Purchase: $57.46 for adults 10 and older / $51.07 for ages 3-9 (Not available December 7, 10, 12, 17 or 19)

Passholder and DVC Member Discounts: $53.20 / $46.81 (Not available December 7, 10 through 19)

Day of Event (if still available): $63.85 /$57.46

MVMCP 2009 Prices INCLUDING Tax

ADVANCE PURCHASE: Adults: $55.38; Children 3-9 $48.99 (discount not available Nov 29, Dec 4, 11, 17-18; price is same as Day of Event tickets)
DAY OF EVENT (IF NOT SOLD OUT): Adults $62.84; Children 3-9 $56.45
Passholder and Disney Vacation Club Discounts: Adults $52.19; Children 3-9 $45.80Only available for the following dates: Nov 10, 12, 13, 17, 19; Dec 6, 8

DizneyRox
05-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I'm over the parties. Love Halloween and have considered weekend getaways to attend the party, but no way, with airfare, room, other tickets, etc... Maybe Christmas, the whole resort is decorated, there's really no need for the party IMHO.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
If I'm buying 8 day tickets, it doesn't make sense to spend $300 more for what the OP mentioned: a parade, fireworks, and a live show - all of which you can get when it's NOT MVMCP night. I've been wanting to take my family back during Christmas, but that means hitting the MK on very crowded non-Party days, or spending a junkload of money to stay up really late. Our decision was to just not go during that time, which is a bummer.

This is a big part of it. We'll be getting anywhere from an 8 day to 10 day park pass, which brings the daily ticket price down to what, about $25 a day. For the benefit received there seems to be little value in paying another $50-$60 per person for this event.

The other thing that I've recently noticed and do not like, is the frequency of this event. Basically if you think of the holiday season as being from Thanksgiving to Christmas, its about 30 days, after looking at the MVMCP schedule the party is being held on 16 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, that's over 50% of the time! That's seems a bit extreme and the more I look at it, it comes off more as another money grab. If they are going to limit MK access for 50% of my stay, then maybe my base tickets should reflect that. I know that will never happen though but its the first time I've thought of it in that manner and now instead of feeling :ack: it is more like :mad:

tinkman
05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
No more. We have done both Halloween and Christmas parties 3 times. Always the same thing (not 3 yrs in a row either)...except the crowds keep getting bigger and bigger. Definitely NOT worth the extra cash. When things get to expensive, the only way to get the message to the bean counters is to stop buying tickets.

disneynarula
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
If they are going to limit MK access for 50% of my stay, then maybe my base tickets should reflect that. I know that will never happen though but its the first time I've thought of it in that manner and now instead of feeling :ack: it is more like :mad:

No kidding! I will have to recheck the nights of our trip to make sure it's not during the Halloween Party.

It also makes the other parks more crowded.

lizerbug
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I know that a business' first priority is to make money. I mean that's why businesses exist. But it boggles my mind why, in this economy, why prices are increased so much and discounts are fewer. Even in this economy people are still going to Disney. But for those of us who haven't been able to go in a while price hikes will keep us away even longer. We are recovering. I sure would love to be able to do it at WDW. Like sweets, WDW is my indulgence :thumbsup: Too bad it will be a while before I can go back :(

DizneyRox
05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Even in this economy people are still going to Disney.
You answered your own question...

DonaldDuckUSA
05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I've never had any need to even consider going to MNSSHP. However, last year we were at the MK one day when people were arriving in costumes, the Haunted Mansion narrator came over the loudspeakers, everything turned black and orange.

Gotta be honest, we were a little sad to be leaving. After seeing all that energy we started talking about going in 2012. Then I saw a woman droup $300 bucks for her and her children. YIKES!!!

Can someone help me out with this? Is it simply a different Disney experience? Are the rides open? What does it offer (other than a parade) that normal park hours don't provide?

disneydeb
05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Rides are open and characters abound.
It's a trick-or-treat night
where candy is found.

Hallowishes!
And the best parade on site.
MNSSHP is a delight!

DizneyRox
05-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Yes it's an event, however, not sure if it's worth the cash. For many, Hallloween is THE holiday of the year, it's my favorite and I spend more money and time decorating for the event.

$300 is a little steep for some candy. Not much of substance has changed since about 2004 or 2005, so they are on cruise control mostly. It used to be pretty exclusive, but these days it appears they are mostly just closing the park early to charge people to get back in.

Katzateer
05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
We have only been to the party twice. It is fun to see all the crazy costumes and the parade is great. The decorations and characters in costume is a fun time. I don't think we would go back again but with the Intercot meet I think we are going to just spend the money and enjoy the evening. We just won't go into the park until our dining at 4:30. That way we don't have to pay for a park admission for part of the day.

The MVMCP is a lot better. The decorations are wonderful and it was our family tradition to go the first full week of December with my mother in law and anyone else that could meet us there. We were lucky. Enough to take the girls for 10+ years and it was a family tradition we looked forward to all year.

There used to be more "free" stuff at the party. Pictures, pins and arcade games set up. One daughter won a little Christmas Teddy bear and she still has it in her room. Last time we went, hot chocolate and cookies were still free, guess they still are.

The extra events are getting expensive but they are fun.

TheVBs
05-04-2012, 07:56 AM
I've never had any need to even consider going to MNSSHP. However, last year we were at the MK one day when people were arriving in costumes, the Haunted Mansion narrator came over the loudspeakers, everything turned black and orange.

Gotta be honest, we were a little sad to be leaving. After seeing all that energy we started talking about going in 2012. Then I saw a woman droup $300 bucks for her and her children. YIKES!!!

Can someone help me out with this? Is it simply a different Disney experience? Are the rides open? What does it offer (other than a parade) that normal park hours don't provide?

We went in 2011 and really had a blast. We were so glad we did it. Now, having said that, I'm not sure we'd pay to do it again anytime soon. The only real downside was the number of people there. The crowds were more significant than anytime we've been there during the (off season) day. Or, it may have just seemed that way because the focus was on fewer things.

There were tons of special characters out! That was really cool. But, I think even if you just saw characters for the entire night, you wouldn't be likely to see them all because the lines were massive. We picked a few, then concentrated on other things. The girls loved being in costume, although they did get sweaty and uncomfortable. Something to think about when they choose what to wear. They had fun getting candy, but that was the least important thing on our list.

The biggest highlight for us was the parade! It was awesome!! Hands down the best parade we've ever seen there. The fireworks were spectacular. The Villain's show in front of the castle was awesome. We did do some of the rides, but that was lower on our list. We also did Stitch's dance party in Tomorrowland and that was one of the girls' favorite parts.

Hope that helps!

r4kids
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
It is a crazy steep price to pay in addition to park tickets. However...... MNSSHP is hands down one of my favorite things to do! I absolutely love the party atmosphere, parade and fireworks!! Its a blast :) MVMCP is nice too, I guess for me it's the atmosphere. Its the feel of Christmas, the "snow", hot cocoa, cookies, music, lights, decor. I love the holidays already so it just enhances that being in Disney. Plus it's what you make it. :mickey: I still don't know if we are going to shell out the $$ for MVMCP Nov/Dec but I am hoping we can swing it!!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
The Halloween party might be a bit different. Do they decorate all the parks for 30 days leading up to Halloween, or basically make a quick conversion for the special occasion? We've never done it so I'm not familiar with how/if the parks are decorated during that period.

With MVMCP I think the value gets diminished because the parks are already so decorated. Candlelight Processional is hands down my favorite event during this period, followed probably by Osborne family lights. The MK has the tree and the garland across main street and the castle is decorated in icicle lights and all the deluxe/moderate resorts are holiday themed.

So where I can see maybe more value and awe with the transition at Halloween, there isn't really any transition for MVMCP. They basically hang a welcome banner under the railroad station and then offer a few shows and the parade. I don't know that the characters outside of the shows are in different costumes or not.

If you walked into the MK not realizing MNSSHP was going on, you'd know it pretty much immediately I would think. If you walked into the MK and didn't know it was MVMCP, do you think you'd even realize it? That's why now, with a family of 5, my $300 is better spent elsewhere at the parks.

DizneyRox
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Way back, the Halloween Party used to be a pretty drastic transformation from day to night. These days they get lazy and leave up a lot of stuff so the transformation isn't a drastic. Lighting, some signage, a few ballons and whatnot and it's all of the sudden a special event.

You are right, XMas isn't a transformation at all really. Again a few signs, and extra admission differentiate it from a normal Holiday Season day.

The Halloween Party has always been my favorite, and would still be my pick if someone is looking to do an after hours party, but now I think there are better ways to spend your money.

I'm really surprised they haven't brought back the Pirate and Princess Party. I've heard the fireworks were crazy good and if they can command the same prices for that event imagine the bottom line. Oh wait, people figured out it wasn't worth it, so they stopped going.

Quadstriker
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Snowing on main street was worth the price of admission to me - probably wouldn't be to those of you who live in Coldland all year.

sportsguy2315
05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
My roommates when I was on the CP last year invited me to both MNSSHP and MVMCP and went to neither. The cast discount was in the $40 range, and even then it's, without hesitation, "No." It's too crowded, and really, if I wanted candy that bad, I'd go to Walgreen's and get a couple bags for $2 and see Hallowishes from the Poly. Ditto with Christmas; I'm from MN so I'm used to snow, and you can do Osborne Lights for free.

The best part about it though was that the roommates came back from NSS with so much candy it pretty much lasted until the program ended (Early January).

ANG
05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
DH and I attended the MNSSHP in 2006 and had a blast. And we want to take our kids this year. But yeah it's way too much. Plus, our kids are still little and need to be in bed by 8pm.

joonyer
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Our family has thoroughly enjoyed MNSSHP every time we done it (3 times). The "Boo to You" parade is awesome (especially the grave-diggers and Headless Horseman) and the "HalloWishes" is the very best Disney fireworks show in my opinion. The dance parties are fun and we loaded up on the trick or treat candy, and the ride lines are very manageable. We have been very pleased with each party.

All that being said, I don't know if we would do it again anytime soon at current prices. It's an awful lot of money to add to vacation expenses for a whole family unless money is no object to your vacation spending.

Goes4FastPass
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
We always heard party nights were limited capacity and they do sell out but the last times we went to MNSSHP and MVMCP they were very crowded.

I think what ends up in the park is

Locals who make a special trip to the event using a 4pm arrival to make a whole evening at the Magic Kingdom
PLUS
resort guests who figure, "We're already spending a bundle..."
EQUALS
crowded evenings at the Magic Kingdom

Disney Doll
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
We're doing our first MVMCP this year so I can't speak to that, but we've done MNSSHP 3 times in recent years and thought it was worth the money. One of the major perks we thought was the reduced crowd levels. It's busy, but most rides are still walk-ons or less than 10 minutes. In fact we commented on our trip this month that we've been spoiled by MNSSHP crowds in MK. The parade and the fireworks are some of the best I've ever seen and we really enjoy all the guests in costume. The only thing I've ever noticed that was overly crowded were some of the special character meets for the party, but my kids don't really care about that so we mostly skip those.

ETA: My kids are still young so we typically leave after Hallowishes. If you are staying until 12AM I would certainly think you would get your money's worth.

mommy2maddi
05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree that the price is too high...But this will be our first year at WDW during the MVMCP and we will be going. Will I ever do it again??? Probably not. Once at that price is enough, but I have to experience it once. I like the PP's suggestion of making our ticket length one day less and using this in place of one of the days, although that only knocks off about $30 off our total for 4 people due to the slight difference between 5&6 day park hoppers...It's a steep price, but I feel it's also a once-in-a-lifetime thing. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
05-30-2012, 05:02 PM
DBF and I ordered our tickets the day they were released and got them in the mail already. I am so excited! this is our first trip together in December, and Christmas I basically considered my holiday, it is by far my favorite time of year. Even though I live in rhode island where it could pretty much snow on a whim at any time in the winter, I still cannot wait to see the snow on main street! I'm a goof, I know :blush::cloud9:

badkitty
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I love the parties but the pricing is getting to high for me. The special parades, fireworks and stage shows are fantastic but if it rains (even a little bit) the shows are postponed or cancelled and elements of the parade are missing or the parade is cancelled altogether. It makes it a very expensive evening just to ride rides. I've been disappointed several times when taking friends for their first time and the stage shows are cancelled and the effects are missing from the parade.

disneydeb
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
I wanted to go to MVMCP, but I don't think we will be going. We must show Disney it is time to STOP with the ticket increases.Ten or twenty percent annual increase is ridiculous!
I've noticed that down through the years they are giving you less for your money. For example the number of grave diggers, pitchfork dancers, and haunted mansion dancers have gone from about 24 to 12 in the past five years....:(

wdw dude
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
The ticket price is bad enough, but then you make a big gamble with the weather. We went to the Christmas party last December and the weather was horrible on our day. It poured most of the evening so there was no snow on Main Street, the fireworks were terrible due to the low clouds, and you really can't see much of the parade through all of the umbrellas.

That soured me on the Christmas party for a long time.

:(

Gator
05-31-2012, 11:41 PM
I wanted to go to MVMCP, but I don't think we will be going. We must show Disney it is time to STOP with the ticket increases.Ten or twenty percent annual increase is ridiculous!
....:(

Amen, sister. It's not good enough that you have to fork over hundreds for their parties, or face the alternative of shorter hours and no fireworks. Now we have to pay way more for it all.

Fastpasssteve
06-01-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm glad we went to the Halloween Party a couple years ago...but I'm afraid once will have to suffice. That's pretty steep.

It sounds like the night of the party would be a great evening to visit another park or have dinner at the California Grill and watch the fireworks before dessert.